Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,933 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded (17114 Views)

NLC Locks Down Abuja Airport, Many Stranded / Gov Adeleke Government Commences Construction Activities On Ife-ede Road(photos) / Traffic On Abuja-Keffi Expressway As Army Blocks Road To Stop Shiites (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by Nemere2020: 12:43pm On Jul 13, 2021
Business and commercial activities have grounded to a halt on the Abuja-Keffi boundary between Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), and Nasarawa State due to a heavy gridlock.

As a result of the gridlock occasioned by road repair works being undertaken by the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA), hundreds of thousands of private and public workers have been stranded.

DAILY POST investigation showed the lane from Keffi leading to Abuja has been cut off by the FERMA without prior notice to road users.

Our correspondent observed that the road was cut off at a point known as Sharp Corner, Mararaba, in a bid to build a new bridge for control of perennial erosion on the road.

It was gathered that the road was cut off by two heavy equipment in the night without the provision of alternative bypass for passage.

When DAILY POST visited the construction site, heavily armed security operatives were seen giving security back up to the workers to avoid possible attack on them by angry road users.

Our correspondent noted that the gridlock which started to build up at the site as early as 5am has reached a crisis point at the time of this report, having reached Ado village, a distance of 5 kilometers.

Angry commercial and private vehicle owners trapped in the gridlock were seen abandoning their vehicles due to the state of hopelessness.

The problem was found to have been compounded by desperate commercial vehicle and tricycle owners who formed several lanes that made turning back impossible.

However, capitalizing on the gridlock, commercial motorcycle riders, commonly called Okada, have been making brisk business from those desperate to go to Abuja for work.

DAILY POST noted that Mararaba to Nyayan which used to attract N100 per passenger now cost N500 while Mararaba to AYA bridge goes for N700 per person instead of the usual N150.

One of the officials of FERMA, Engineer Tony Emeka, told DAILY POST that his agency has an ultimatum within which to build the bridge to control erosion on the highway, hence, the rush before heavy rains will set in.

He appealed to the angry road users to bear with the government, adding that the agency was undertaking the work and speeding it up in the general interest of the people.

However, civil servants and private workers who could not pay exorbitant motorcycle fares through their noses were seen returning home after making phone contacts with their offices while scores opted to trek to work.

https://dailypost.ng/2021/07/13/hundreds-stranded-as-ferma-commences-construction-on-abuja-keffi-road-unannounced/?amp=1&utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

1 Like

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by Harrykn: 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2021
Top up for commercial riders around that area.
Contractor supposed don buy new motor sef

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by ogbuefi677(m): 1:50pm On Jul 13, 2021
Characteristics of a zoo.
Something wey dem go start from one lane,finish it and continue from the second.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by slawormiir: 1:55pm On Jul 13, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

Who even dey the area make them really confirm the authenticity of this reportage

Because me nor trust our journalists and thier reportage...most times they can exaggerate. Hyperbolize, embellish, aggrandize, magnify, overemphasize and embroider

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by Nawteemaxie(m): 1:56pm On Jul 13, 2021
I was expecting to see pictures of the "hundreds"

36 Likes

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by NwaNimo1(m): 1:56pm On Jul 13, 2021

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by Goldp5988(f): 1:56pm On Jul 13, 2021
I hope they complete it.
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by LibertyRep: 1:56pm On Jul 13, 2021
Unannounced? That's not fair enough. People should have been told days ahead so as to plan their route.

Construction companies are notorious for caring less about the health and well being of the commuters and residents of the area where they work.

I'm always uncomfortable seeing residents subjected to billow of thick dust for days and weeks just because the roads are being constructed. How about regular wetting of the roads?

1 Like

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by epospiky(m): 1:57pm On Jul 13, 2021
Where are the stranded hundreds?

1 Like

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by aAK1(m): 1:57pm On Jul 13, 2021
I was just thinking God I didn’t go out with my car this morning

1 Like

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by Danzakidakura(m): 1:57pm On Jul 13, 2021
But the road is double lane, so people can still follow the second lane beside I have not seen any work on the road. @ op stop lying

2 Likes

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by id4sho(m): 1:58pm On Jul 13, 2021
angry

5 Likes

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by youngdroly(m): 1:59pm On Jul 13, 2021
Na my road �️ oooo
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by iamehmakute(m): 2:00pm On Jul 13, 2021
Our elders say ,"hmm" when there's no hope left and they are short of words.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Continue chewing my efiat.

1 Like

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by sammysmiles(m): 2:00pm On Jul 13, 2021
lipsrsealed
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by DropsMic(m): 2:00pm On Jul 13, 2021
Typical of we Blacks.. Regard for human beings =!ZERO
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by fasho01(m): 2:01pm On Jul 13, 2021
Lawless country
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by jericco1(m): 2:02pm On Jul 13, 2021
That's how I stay in traffic everyday because of that road angry
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by Generalwoodz(m): 2:03pm On Jul 13, 2021
Who are they deceiving
After a month the Mother of all Potholes would be seen on the various spot they claimed they repaired.
FERMA carry corruption for head like granite.

They'd use very substandard material and the way their workers handle the machine you would know that deep in their hearts they are fervently praying for the road to go worse.
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by Fabulousdad29(m): 2:03pm On Jul 13, 2021
NAWA o
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by Upsohigh: 2:04pm On Jul 13, 2021
It took me about 2hours just to make a U turn at sharp corner today from abacha road junction. This is really causing untold hardship on commuters. The area is bad for traffic issues now made worse with FERMA activities

1 Like

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by STEWpid(f): 2:04pm On Jul 13, 2021
Life must be hard in Naijiriya.

It would be very abnormal and unbearable if things go normal.

We are hard citizens.

Modified:
This front page is dedicated to Nairalanders. grin grin grin
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by FarahAideed: 2:05pm On Jul 13, 2021
Nigerian govt derives joy in seeing people suffer
Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by dongalaxy(m): 2:05pm On Jul 13, 2021
Today was horrible for u , the little the dug before caused an accident before the remember to come back to finish it. We truly have a failed gov. If FERMA had started the work by 1am , we wouldn't have had such experience today. I had to treek from international market to nyanya, even when I bypassed the point, okada still had the guts to demand #150 from abacha road to under nyanya bridge. Thanks to my two legs

4 Likes

Re: FERMA Commences Construction On Abuja-Keffi Road Unannounced, Many Stranded by EmmaLege: 2:05pm On Jul 13, 2021
wickedness angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Itunnu Babalola: FG Demands Autopsy Of Nigerian Who Died In Ivorian Custody / ASUU Strike: NANS Protest Disrupts Flight Operations At Lagos Airport / 12 People, Including Women And Children Dead, As Canoe Capsized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.