Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,232 members, 7,867,599 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:27 PM

Alcohol Addiction - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Alcohol Addiction (10830 Views)

... / How To Escape Alcohol Addiction / How To Overcome Alcohol Addiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alcohol Addiction by Blakjewelry(m): 2:56pm On May 14, 2011
@enyojo pls mam, can you pls educate me on difference between the strong drink and wine in your quote, cos i think historical'' bible time they are from the same source if not both are not the same.'' and 2. you fail to make make bold the part which says ''wine for the man with a broken heart''. And 3. Is your husband an ex drunkard? if your answer is no, and from the way you sound he doesnt associate witth pips who drinks and i bet he has done very little if any research on such matter so i guess he is in no position to tell. I will give an example, i have being writing a book on relationship and marriage. I did alot of oral inteviews with pips both rich and poor, old and young, did alot of research, get infos from marrige counselors and still planning to get more but my biggest problem is am yet to marry. So, i said to my self no publication till my 10th marriage ceremony. So, go tell him to tackle the bottle first then he will know better.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 3:15pm On May 14, 2011
^^^
Strong drink contains alcohol
Soft drink is Non-alcoholic.
Simple.

Jesus turned water to wine (non-acoholic).
For those who have been to Jerusalem, they will know that their type of wine ferments after being left for long and so becomes alcoholic.
That was why Proverbs 23v31 says: Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it goes down smoothly'
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 14, 2011
Alcohol addiction is a major problem in Nigeria.These days its very common seeing young nigerian guys in beer parlours drinking themselves to death.Maybe this could explain why some of our fellow nigerian bros have pot bellies like pregnant goats even b4 they turn 30!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 3:28pm On May 14, 2011
enyojo:

^^^
Simple.

For those who have been to Jerusalem, they will know that their type of wine ferments after being left for long and so becomes alcoholic.
That was why Proverbs 23v31 says: Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it goes down smoothly'

Kai do not go further on this explanation.

Jesus turned water into wine:
Wine is an alcohol not soft drink.
Eva is not wine. Go check the meaning of wine.

Fresh palm wine is sweet but can knock you down even though it is not fermented
When it ferments, the content of alcohol increases. That does not mean it had no alcohol in the beginning.

The people at the table said, why did the host bring the best wine after they were drunk with rubbish.
If you think that they were referring to soft drink, then you should think twice.
Wine has always been alcoholic

Mind you, you do not twist the bible to suit your argument. Remember that if you add or remove from the word some punishment await you.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 3:31pm On May 14, 2011
[center]
agabaI23:

ONYEOJOO is a Buhari supporter so you can fill the blank space grin grin. Extremists will always aggregate together consciously or unconsciously tongue tongue tongue tongue

Don't start.
Was it not the same extremism that made Buhari to show GEJ that he has no constitutional backing to do set up an illegal Probe panel?
Was it Extremism that made Buhari deal with those corrupt Politicians saying 'handcuff or Handshake'?

What of GEJ who out of verbal ejaculati*n claimed that MEND did not detonate a Bomb and that he knew the culprits only for MEND to openly admit it? Yet till now he hasnt named the culprit.
IS THAT NOT EXTREMISM?
What of the highly unpopular misguided statement that 'SOUTHWEST IS IN THE HANDS OF RASCALS'. Was that not Extremism for a sitting president to vomit?
Was that not why about 4 million voters in Lagos alone refused to vote him yet were demoralized by the disunity in the oposition and so remained at home?

AGABA123, You are still young. Don't start![/center]
Re: Alcohol Addiction by MeGaStReEt: 3:32pm On May 14, 2011
I realy don't know what people gain from Drinking and Smoking. I hate the smell of cigarete with passion, and alcohol? oh my God!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Blakjewelry(m): 3:35pm On May 14, 2011
The issue on ground should what, how, when and where you drink. Although i dont fall into the class of professional drinkers, can anyone really tell me a time in history when there was no wine? So, it has been a part of human culture especiaaly dury celebration. Then secondly the issue of abuse is due to lack of laws and enforcement on the part of the govt. With issues like this being raised, i think it high time our newspapers start doing online reviews on forum like this and bring such matter to the forefront and to govt attention.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 3:35pm On May 14, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

I realy don't know what people gain from Drinking and Smoking. I hate the smell of cigarete with passion, and alcohol? oh my God!

Most of them were deceived or pressurized into the highly regrettable habit.
So instead of them to trace the truth and get free for life, they deceive themselves by trying to justify the error.

If you find yourself in the pit, STOP DIGGING
Re: Alcohol Addiction by hercules07: 3:39pm On May 14, 2011
Agaba, I am a strong Buhari supporter and I disagree with enyojo on this, I have never taken the stuff in my life but I will not condemn anybody that does that, hell, my mother in law insists on the thing whenever she comes around to cater for the kids (odeku). Enyojo, wine is alcoholic, infact the kegites have Jesus Christ as their life fellow because his first miracle was to turn water to wine, let us put down the bible sometimes and use the intellect that God has given us to analyse situations, Alcoholism is a problem in Nigeria but there is nobody looking at it (maybe FRSC sha)
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 3:42pm On May 14, 2011
hercules07:

Agaba, I am a strong Buhari supporter and I disagree with enyojo on this, I have never taken the stuff in my life but I will not condemn anybody that does that, hell, my mother in law insists on the thing whenever she comes around to cater for the kids (odeku). Enyojo, wine is alcoholic, infact the kegites have Jesus Christ as their life fellow because his first miracle was to turn water to wine, let us put down the bible sometimes and use the intellect that God has given us to analyse situations, Alcoholism is a problem in Nigeria but there is nobody looking at it (maybe FRSC sha)

Since when is trying to solve an addiction problem become condemning people?
I hate the sin but i can't hate the Sinner. Period!

Jude 1vs 23 'Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to others, but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 4:01pm On May 14, 2011
agabaI23:

Kai do not go further on this explanation.

Jesus turned water into wine:
Wine is an alcohol not soft drink.
Eva is not wine. Go check the meaning of wine.

Fresh palm wine is sweet but can knock you down even though it is not fermented
When it ferments, the content of alcohol increases. That does not mean it had no alcohol in the beginning.

The people at the table said, why did the host bring the best wine after they were drunk with rubbish.
If you think that they were referring to soft drink, then you should think twice.
Wine has always been alcoholic

Mind you, you do not twist the bible to suit your argument. Remember that if you add or remove from the word some punishment await you.

Aboy,
If you find it hard to understand the Bible, then maybe Chemistry will help you regarding the chemical process that FERMENTATION goes through.
To even get a clearer picture, take a sample of ISREALI WINE MADE FROM VINE. Get informed to make informed comments here please.

I thought after GEJ was returned elected that you will begin reasoning normally. But I was wrong.

Blackmailing and blaspheming that Jesus turned water to ALCOHOLIC wine is another issue for another day. But mainwhine, confess your sins.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by hercules07: 4:04pm On May 14, 2011
Drinking alcohol is not a sin, you might not like it but it is not a sin.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by snowdrops(m): 4:06pm On May 14, 2011
We need to separate binge drinking from what people call alcohol addiction. Both are more of a problem in western countries because alcohol is cheaper and more available/assessible.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by tlops(m): 4:20pm On May 14, 2011
@enjoyjo
I'm not an Expert on these things like I admitted. However from your description, you are sandwiched between the Social and the Regular phases. There is still time to get help before its too late. Remember that many people are going to hell for the sake of it.

Nobody (atleast not as much as you wish) is going to hell for the sake of it, go and read your bible. I am not a drinker by the way.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 4:38pm On May 14, 2011
enyojo:

Aboy,
If you find it hard to understand the Bible, then maybe Chemistry will help you regarding the chemical process that FERMENTATION goes through.
To even get a clearer picture, take a sample of ISREALI WINE MADE FROM VINE. Get informed to make informed comments here please.

I thought after GEJ was returned elected that you will begin reasoning normally. But I was wrong.

Blackmailing and blaspheming that Jesus turned water to ALCOHOLIC wine is another issue for another day. But mainwhine, confess your sins.

Read this

Two terms for wine are used throughout the Bible. In the Hebrew Scriptures (the Old Testament), the Hebrew word is yayin, while the Christian New Testament, written in Greek, used the word oinos, from which we get our word “wine.” Both meant the same thing: fermented wine. There is no word for unfermented wine in Scripture. Wine is wine. It was always fermented.
http://www.prohibitionhangover.com/israelwine.html
Read more also.

No wine the bible was not fermented for your information which is what I was trying to tell you.
When the apostles were accused of being drunk with wine, was that referring to the soft drink Israeli wine or does wine mean different things in different instances?

Mention any Israeli made wine in the market and I will tell you the alcoholic content.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by N101: 4:44pm On May 14, 2011
Juman: No, I don't think so. Our people don't have access to money like in the western countries.

Not true - you don't need to be wealthy or have lots of money to become an alcoholic.  Ever heard of local gin/beer?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by ziga: 4:45pm On May 14, 2011
Alcohol addiction is a problem all over the world.
In Nigeria, it is a problem that should be contained now. .  because IMO, it is in its early stages.
A bigger problem we have is poverty, which makes a major percentage of the population unable to afford regular meals, not to talk of alcohol.
The big drinkers would be out of the small "middle class" that we have.
Some factors that also help the Nigerian situation is our culture/"religion". Drinking alcohol is not very socially acceptable with us. And we have a strong family support sys compared to western countries. Therefore, alcoholics are more likely to have more pressure on them to quit by family.

Problem drinker
C - Do you feel you need to cut down on alcohol intake
A - Do you feel angry when people talk about your drinking habits
G - Do you feel guilty about your drinking
E - Do you need an eye opener (alcohol) to get going in the morning.
If you answer yes to 2 of the 4 questions, it is possible that you might be a problem drinker!!!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by N101: 4:50pm On May 14, 2011
@ ziga - I don't think it's in it's early stages in Nigeria, it is blatantly out there but people don't talk about it. I personally know of a neighbourhood where so many of the young men are raging alcoholics but nothing is being done to help them and everyone looks the other way. I've even seen and heard of police personnel on duty intoxicated, but is anything done to address this? Very rarely.

Alcoholism is one of those things people pretend to ignore until it's too late.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by knotty(m): 5:06pm On May 14, 2011
Did you all notice the GUlder promo follwoing this thread?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Ucheosefoh(m): 6:33pm On May 14, 2011
Acohol have been a big problem in naija it has gotten to an extent that some people boast of the number of bottles they can consume in a beer parlour, some people will boast of consuming up to twelve bottles of beer and nothing will happen to them, with this type of mentality it really shows that acohol is a big problem in 9ja
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 14, 2011
@Enyojo,
I just came back from taking my ultimate stuff when I saw your comment that the wine in the bible is non alcoholic.
I was shocked that you could pass such mis information on a public forum.
It shows that all what you have beeen saying since this thread started is FALSE or you are not sure of your facts.

Please go to Genesis Chapter 9 verses 20-21.
20.And Noah began to be an husbandman and he planted a vineyard:
21.And he drank of the wineand was drunken;and he was uncovered within his tent.

CAN THIS BE NON ALCOHOLIC WINE?

Please enyojo I want you to read Genesis chapt 19 verses 30-38,
30,And Lot went up out of Zoar,and dwelt in the mountains,and his two daughters with him;for he feared to dwell in Zoar;andhe dwelt in a cave,he and his two daughters.
31.And the first born said to the younger,Our father is old and there is no man in the earth ,to come in to us after the manner of all the earth.
32.Come let us make our father drink wine,and we will lie with him,that we may preserve the seed of our father.
33.And they made their father drink wine that night;and the first born went in and lay with her father and he percieved not when she lay down or rose.
34,And it came to pass on the morrow,that the first born said unto the younger,Behold I lay yesternight with my father;let us make him drink wine tonight also and go ye in too and lie with him that we may preserve the seed of our father.
35.And they made their father drink wine that night also,and the younger one arose and lay with him;and he percieved not when she lay down nor when she arose.
36.Thus both the daughters of Lot were with child by their father.
37.And the first born bore a child and called his name Moab,the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.
38.And the younger,she also bare a child and called his name Ben-ammi,the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.

My dear the wine described in the Bible was 100% alcoholic as you can see from the two stories above.
Stop spreading wrong information on this thread.
Wow! All that typing has made me thirsty,where the h-ell is my bottle of Gulder?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by kannymoore(m): 7:27pm On May 14, 2011
grin, Heheheheheheh! I fittnt laff!
This is one VERY FUNNY THREAD!
*Jesus turned water into non-alchoholic wine*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Kai, My ribs!!!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Ib(f): 7:27pm On May 14, 2011
It would be very easy to kill this important thread by turning it into a religious debate on what the Bible did or didn't say about alcohol/wine.

Common sense should apply here please. Alcoholism is a big problem plaguing Nigerians today that should  be exposed and discussed honestly. It is either you believe you have an alcohol problem or you don't. At the end, deceiving other people is all well and good, but self deceit is just plain stupidity.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 8:00pm On May 14, 2011
kannymoore:

Kai, My ribs!!!
The problem of some people is delusion in religion that manifests as fanaticism. They can say or do anything to justify their action or position.

@Alcoholism is a sickness and should not be tolerated. It is a problem.
healthwise
This is what is recommended per country
Daily/weekly maximum drinks
These countries recommend a weekly limit, but intake on a particular day may be higher than one-seventh of the weekly amount.

Canada: 2/day; 14/week (@13.6g = 27.2g/day, 190g/week)[2][18]
Hong Kong: 3–4/day; 21/week (glass of wine or a pint of beer)
New Zealand: 3/day; 21/week (@10g = 30g/day, 210g/week)[11]
UK: 3–4/day; 21/week (@8g = 24–32g day, 168g/week)
USA: 1-2 units/day (14–28g/day), not to exceed 14 units/week (196g/week)[17
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recommended_maximum_intake_of_alcoholic_beverages

Though this is wikipedia, this gives an idea.

It becomes a problem when it is over consumed. This standard is for a normal individual for instance a 70 kg man.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Sike(m): 9:52pm On May 14, 2011
kannymoore:

Kai, My ribs!!!
Oh sowi! U try stop laffin, abi u wan kill ur sef ni,
Let me help u out, atlist stat 4rm wia u stop, Buhahaaaahapurarararakurararara, chei! My a.ss, uhm *wots smellin?*
Re: Alcohol Addiction by birdman(m): 10:06pm On May 14, 2011
ziga:

Alcohol addiction is a problem all over the world.
In Nigeria, it is a problem that should be contained now. .  because IMO, it is in its early stages.
A bigger problem we have is poverty, which makes a major percentage of the population unable to afford regular meals, not to talk of alcohol.
The big drinkers would be out of the small "middle class" that we have.
Some factors that also help the Nigerian situation is our culture/"religion". Drinking alcohol is not very socially acceptable with us. And we have a strong family support sys compared to western countries. Therefore, alcoholics are more likely to have more pressure on them to quit by family.

Problem drinker
C - Do you feel you need to cut down on alcohol intake
A - Do you feel angry when people talk about your drinking habits
G - Do you feel guilty about your drinking
E - Do you need an eye opener (alcohol) to get going in the morning.
If you answer yes to 2 of the 4 questions, it is possible that you might be a problem drinker!!!

whew! I'm safe then. I only meet one of the above criteria. grin
Re: Alcohol Addiction by DASLEEKY: 11:19pm On May 14, 2011
[size=24pt]BTW, Why Do Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers?[/size]
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2040099_2040079_2040049,00.html

And you saying south africans drink more. see for your self,
http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/02/daily_chart_global_alcohol_consumption

Re: Alcohol Addiction by vislabraye(m): 1:22am On May 15, 2011
enyojo:

^^^
Simple.

Very interesting especially when scripture is used as a backing. But It would surprise u to know that the wine in your context was alcholic. If you have a Greek translation or the NT, go check it out. Even communion wine is alcoholic.

We need to take alcohol in moderation especially men because ofour sexual health and all round fitness. But red wine should be takenabout a glass a day. .
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 1:26am On May 15, 2011
vislabraye:

Very interesting especially when scripture is used as a backing. But It would surprise u to know that the wine in your context was alcholic. If you have a Greek translation or the NT, go check it out. Even communion wine is alcoholic.

We need to take alcohol in moderation especially men because ofour sexual health and all round fitness. But red wine should be takenabout a glass a day. .

You dey mind her? I showed her this quote
Two terms for wine are used throughout the Bible. In the Hebrew Scriptures (the Old Testament), the Hebrew word is yayin, while the Christian New Testament, written in Greek, used the word oinos, from which we get our word “wine.” Both meant the same thing: fermented wine. There is no word for unfermented wine in Scripture. Wine is wine. It was always fermented.
she ignored it and continued to say what she believes
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 6:21am On May 15, 2011
vislabraye:

I think your post deserves my response.
What I am saying so far is that there are alcoholic and non alcoholic Wines. This is true for as long as we can remember. This is even true in the Bible days.
There have always been ALCOHOLIC AND NON ALCOHOLIC WINES. The Alcoholic wines are generally termed Hard drinks while the Non alcoholic wines have been called Soft drinks. This dates from the very beginning. Even some of these non-alcoholic wines when left for a long while begin to ferment and turns into alcoholic wine.
If anyone goes to one fake website and quotes a lying statement that 'all wines during the Bible days were alcoholic wines' Then I gladdly leave such person to wallow in his gross ignorance.
Jerusalem is not too far from you. You can always go there (i.e if you don't have a stingy Gov that can't sponsor you there).
Just go and see whether in Isreal (palestine), they have only alcoholic wines.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by segunx5(m): 6:37am On May 15, 2011
A alcoholic can not go through a day without getting drunk.You are an alcoholic when it affects your job,seperates you from your family,eats you up financially,loss of memory,affects your physical apperance,and you take anything alcohol
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 7:34am On May 15, 2011
@Enyojo,
The nation of Israel you keep talking about is a modern day creation of the British in 1948,although they share affinity with the Jewish nation described in the Bible.
I quoted Genesis chapter 9 and 19 for you to show you that alcohol has existed in the from time immemorial. Lot was made drunk by two of his daughters in order to extend his lineage.It is there in the Bible,but like all fanatics,you choose to ignore this and harp about Jesus changing water to Non alcoholic wine.

I don't think you have succeded in encouraging anyone to buy your husbands book,because if he is anything like you,i bet the book is poorly researched and written by a religious fanatic with threats of hell fire and eternal damnation.

Excessive in take of alcohol can damage ones health,but if taken in limitation to your capacity,it is actually enjoyable.
I drink for my satisfaction.
I buy the drinks with my own money.
I am not an area boy.
I pay my rent when due.
And I am certainly not going to chop off the heads of my wife and my two children and commit sucide, I love life too much to do that.

Please take your fairy tales elsewhere and do proper practical research before talking on a public forum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Hand Of Hope": 21-week-old Unborn Fetus Reach Out Towards The Surgeon. See Why / Pls Help By Advising On How To Get Rid Off Scar After Surgery / Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.