Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,881 members, 7,828,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word (1193 Views)

US Leaders Recognizes Nnamdi Kanu; Shows Biafra Is Near – IPOB / Why Nnamdi Kalu’s Type Of Biafra Is A Failure!! (with Pix) / "It's Either The Flag Of Biafra Is Raised Or...."— Nnamdi Kanu Blows Hot In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by jmoore(m): 9:02pm On Jul 15, 2021
Biafra is a word invented by Portuguese.

Used to Think “Bianca” and “Biafra” Were Igbo
Words!
By Farooq Kperogi
Don’t laugh too hard at my ignorance, but until fairly
recently, I used to think Bianca was an Igbo name
and thought any non-Igbo person who bore the name
did so out of (benign) appellative appropriation—s
uch as many Black Americans who bear African
names.
Don’t blame me: the first person I ever knew to bear
the name was Bianca Onoh Ojukwu, the former
beauty queen who became former Biafra warlord
Emeka Ojukwu’s wife. Through the logic of false
attraction, I thought the “bia” in Bianca was derived
from the Igbo “bia” that means “come.”
This notion was congealed in my mind because “bia”
is probably Igbo language’s single most recognized
word to other non-Igbo Nigerians. “Bia” is lexically
frozen in my imagination in the trinitarian alternative
indigenous name for Nigeria called WAZOBIA, which
is formed from the Yoruba “wa,” the Hausa “zo” and
the Igbo “bia,” which all mean “come” in English.
In addition, Biafra, the name Igbo people chose for
their homeland when they seceded from Nigeria and
which new secessionists still cherish and embrace,
begins with “bia.” In fact, an Igbo friend and
classmate of mine in high school by the name of
John Chukwu convinced me that “Biafra” was short
for “bia fara,” which he said literally meant “come
take” in Igbo.
You can imagine my shock when I discovered that
even Biafra that I’d invoked as the lexical evidence
for associating “Igboness” to the name Bianca and
which my friend told me meant “come take,” isn’t
even an Igbo word! It’s a Portuguese word—like
Lagos is, by the way.
Well, maybe it’s incorrect to say Biafra is a
Portuguese word since it really doesn’t mean
anything in Portuguese—like Lagos does in the
language. (Lagos is the Portuguese word for
lagoon.) We do know, however, that Biafra was
singlehandedly invented by Portuguese explorers and
cartographers to refer to “the Gulf of Guinea
stretching from the Niger River delta to northern
Gabon.”
But why would people want to escape an odious
colonial name like “Nigeria” for another colonial
exonym like “Biafra”? If Biafra would be an ethno-
state, what’s hard about coming up with an Igbo
name for it? Are we that mentally damaged by
colonial subjugation that we can’t even name
ourselves by our names in our dream ethno-states?
Back to Bianca. I learned that Bianca is actually an
Italian name that means “white.” How interesting! If I
had taken literature in high school, I probably would
have encountered the name in Shakespeare’s
“Othello” and “The Taming of the Shrew.

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by paxx: 9:51pm On Jul 15, 2021
Biafra is not a country for Igbo people. Why would we name a country for many tribes an Igbo word? What about Edo people, Igala people etc. Please read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra

It's just like how many muslims name themselves Arab names. Is Muhammed or Farooq an African name?

3 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by gidgiddy: 10:16pm On Jul 15, 2021
jmoore:

And Nigeria was a word invented by the British

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by Muna4real(f): 10:18pm On Jul 15, 2021
So? Should we fry beans?

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by jmoore(m): 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2021
gidgiddy:

And Nigeria was a word invented by the British
That's what Farooq is pointing out.

Nnamdi Kanu keeps saying it several times on radio Biafra, that it's a shame we are using a name given to us by white people. But he is embracing Biafra that has no origin at all from Igbo language.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by delpee(f): 10:38pm On Jul 15, 2021
Does it have to be an Igbo word? The point is that it describes the area as indicated on the map.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by jmoore(m): 10:52pm On Jul 15, 2021
delpee:
Does it have to be an Igbo word? The point is that it describes the area as indicated on the map.
Nnamdi Kanu said it is 'Come and take'.

You seem not to understand the main point here. Read the post again.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by BeardedMeat(m): 11:07pm On Jul 15, 2021
Farooq Kperogi should mind his business.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by SlayerForever: 11:14pm On Jul 15, 2021
Bia fu ha. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by BiafIntel: 11:19pm On Jul 15, 2021
What word is "nigeria" ? I only know it's meaning as nigger area.
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by gidgiddy: 11:41pm On Jul 15, 2021
jmoore:

Nnamdi Kanu keeps saying it several times on radio Biafra, that it's a shame we are using a name given to us by white people. But he is embracing Biafra that has no origin at all from Igbo language.

The white man never gave the Biafrans the name, forget whatever nonsense they say about Portugal. The bight of Biafra has been there for hundreds of years.

In the case of Nigeria, a white woman in London came up with 5ge name Nigeria, and her boyfriend used guns and bullets to impose it on some people in West Africa

But in the case of Biafra, it was an Ijaw man called Frank Opigo who suggested that name to Ojukwu and Ojukwu adopted it freely

Thats one essential difference between the names Biafra and Nigeria. While Biafra is a name freely chosen by West Africans like Ojukwu and Opigo, Nigeria was a name that was brutally and forcefully imposed on a group of West Africans by the British

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by Hardfacts234(m): 11:48pm On Jul 15, 2021
jmoore:

Firstly, Biafra shouldn't be Igbo language because, it comprises other tribes.

Secondly, whether Biafra is Latin, English or Spanish, doesn't matter, what matters is who gave consent to the name. An indigene or a foreigner?

Biafra was suggested by an Ijaw man Frank Obigo and was approved by an Igbo man Odimegwu Ojukwu. In the case of Nigeria, it was suggested by a British Flora Shaw and approved by a British Lord Luggard.

The key factor is consent.

Igbos bears European names like Richard, Charles, Edwards with no problems because they gave consent to the names. It wasn't forced upon them.
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by theTranslator: 12:17am On Jul 16, 2021
gidgiddy:

The white man never gave the Biafrans the name, forget whatever nonsense they say about Portugal. The bight of Biafra has been there for hundreds of years.

In the case of Nigeria, a white woman in London came up with 5ge name Nigeria, and her boyfriend used guns and bullets to impose it on some people in West Africa

But in the case of Biafra, it was an Ijaw man called Frank Opigo who suggested that name to Ojukwu and Ojukwu adopted it freely

Thats one essential difference between the names Biafra and Nigeria. While Biafra is a name freely chosen by West Africans like Ojukwu and Opigo, Nigeria was a name that was brutally and forcefully imposed on a group of West Africans by the British
Stop lying and decieving yourself
Biafra is Portuguese whether suggested by a Chinese or Japanese
And where is the proof that "opigo" sUgGesTeD the word?

What do you gain from twisting truths?

Nigeria is basically Niger (river) Area
Same pattern as
Columbia
Bulgaria
Algeria

Stop lying
Don't forget I'm still on nairaland
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by theTranslator: 12:24am On Jul 16, 2021
Hardfacts234:
Firstly, Biafra shouldn't be Igbo language because, it comprises other tribes.

Secondly, whether Biafra is Latin, English or Spanish, doesn't matter, what matters is who gave consent to the name. An indigene or a foreigner?

Biafra was suggested by an Ijaw man Frank Obigo and was approved by an Igbo man Odimegwu Ojukwu. In the case of Nigeria, it was suggested by a British Flora Shaw and approved by a British Lord Luggard.

The key factor is consent.

Igbos bears European names like Richard, Charles, Edwards with no problems because they gave consent to the names. It wasn't forced upon them.
Was "Nigeria" forced on you?

And it's funny how in the bid to desperately defend the name grin
You are vehemently contradicting your supleme leada that said "Nigerians are slaves for using the "Nigeria"
But the love you have for "biafra" another European derived word is undying
The Portuguese were even worse than the British in their colonization strategy

if you love your Igbo culture and language
Opt for a Igbo only country
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by gidgiddy: 12:56am On Jul 16, 2021
theTranslator:

Stop lying and decieving yourself
Biafra is Portuguese whether suggested by a Chinese or Japanese
And where is the proof that "opigo" sUgGesTeD the word?

What do you gain from twisting truths?

Nigeria is basically Niger (river) Area
Same pattern as
Columbia
Bulgaria
Algeria

Stop lying
Don't forget I'm still on nairaland

Then use Google to find out why Ojukwu chose the name Biafra, an Ijaw man suggested the name to him

However you look at it, I would rather go with the name that my fellow West Africans chose freely, than go with the name Nigeria that one white woman in London chose, and her boyfriend, Lugard, use guns and bombs to come to West Africa and impose it on me

The name Biafra will always be better than Nigeria
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by theTranslator: 1:03am On Jul 16, 2021
gidgiddy:

Then use Google to find out why Ojukwu chose the name Biafra, an Ijaw man suggested the name to him

However you look at it, I would rather go with the name that my fellow West Africans chose freely, than go with the name Nigeria that one white woman in London chose, and her boyfriend, Lugard, use guns and bombs to come to West Africa and impose it on me

Chose what freely?
I opigo "your fellow west Africans"?
Nigeria was created by Europeans
Biafra was created by Europeans

No better here
Biafra has little or no meaning
Nigeria has

Ipob always trying to defend nonsense
Is like trying to ferment sand grin
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by Penguin2: 3:44am On Jul 16, 2021
This one is now drinking panadol on top another man headache.
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by louqas: 5:12am On Jul 16, 2021
paxx:
Biafra is not a country for Igbo people. Why would we name a country for many tribes an Igbo word? What about Edo people, Igala people etc. Please read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra

It's just like how many muslims name themselves Arab names. Is Muhammed or Farooq an African name?

Then remove the word indigenous from ipob.....you still retain slave colonial mentality and name....
For real freedom starts from changing the name to an indigenous name to reflect your africanness
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by louqas: 5:19am On Jul 16, 2021
gidgiddy:

Have some shame now......maybe you missed this part of the write up
"But why would people want to escape an odious
ourselves by our names in our dream ethno-states?"

That you even include indigenous in ipob should inform the name change....
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by jmoore(m): 8:55am On Jul 16, 2021
gidgiddy:

Who named it Bight of Biafra?

Stop going round the circle.
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by jmoore(m): 8:57am On Jul 16, 2021
louqas:

Those guys have been brainwashed by Nnamdi Kanu. They can't reason on their own.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by Captain8(m): 2:30pm On Jul 16, 2021
gidgiddy:

guy you lack logical arguement.... you said opigo suggested the name...which means the name had been existing..... so who made the name to exist at then? who coined out the name bight of biafra? was it you that produced that name?
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by Captain8(m): 2:45pm On Jul 16, 2021
gidgiddy:

why you igbo boys too ignorant?
is it because of too much of helping brother wife to sell market?

google?
who put words or stories in google? is it human or God?

humans put whatever they want inside google... anyone can create false story or news in google...

i can create my own version of story and
put in google, correct or incorrect...

the story of opigo suggested name biafra was created by igbos suspected to be ipob and put in google...
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by paxx: 11:48am On Jul 17, 2021

louqas:

Then remove the word indigenous from ipob.....you still retain slave colonial mentality and name....
For real freedom starts from changing the name to an indigenous name to reflect your africanness
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by vasel15: 12:19pm On Jul 17, 2021
jmoore:

Mumu

1 Like

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by jmoore(m): 12:48pm On Jul 17, 2021
vasel15:

Mumu
Zombie!!!
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by gidgiddy: 1:16pm On Jul 17, 2021
louqas:

It is not a colonial name if you willing chose the name your self. West Africans like Ojukwu, Frank Opigo, Michael Okpara and many others, sat down in Enugu and freely chose the name Biafra. And the people willingly accepted

Compare that to a British woman called Flora Shaw who sat down somewhere in London and came up with the name "Nigeria". Then Flora Shaw's boyfriend, Frederick Lugard, went to West Africa and rained down bombs and bullets on people to get them to accept the name. More than 100 years later, the descendants of those people are still answering the same colonial slave name Lugard imposed on them by force. Terrible

Then the same Nigerian has the audacity to come and be asking about the name Biafra, that was freely chosen and accepted by the people?

You Nigerians will not kill me with laughter grin grin grin
Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by gidgiddy: 1:17pm On Jul 17, 2021
Captain8:
guy you lack logical arguement.... you said opigo suggested the name...which means the name had been existing..... so who made the name to exist at then? who coined out the name bight of biafra? was it you that produced that name?

It is not a colonial name if you willing chose the name your self. West Africans like Ojukwu, Frank Opigo, Michael Okpara and many others, sat down in Enugu and freely chose the name Biafra. And the people willingly accepted

Compare that to a British woman called Flora Shaw who sat down somewhere in London and came up with the name "Nigeria". Then Flora Shaw's boyfriend, Frederick Lugard, went to West Africa and rained down bombs and bullets on people to get them to accept the name. More than 100 years later, the descendants of those people are still answering the same colonial slave name Lugard imposed on them by force. Terrible

Then the same Nigerian has the audacity to come and be asking about the name Biafra, that was freely chosen and accepted by the people?

Re: Biafra Is Not An Igbo Word by Captain8(m): 2:31pm On Jul 17, 2021
gidgiddy:

guy you be mumu man...
biafra is a portuguese name...

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Created This Thread And It Got Deleted / Kidnap attempt foiled by motorists in Lugbe, Abuja / To Ooni Alafin And The 28 Ojogbons.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.