Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,783 members, 7,955,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:55 PM

The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. (17571 Views)

Protecting Nigerian Waters: Role Of Maritime Security Companies / Black Snake Attacks Laborer, Spits Venom Into His Eyes (Photos) / Black Boy With Natural Blue Eyes Of Caucasian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by anselm791(m): 9:51am On Jul 17, 2021
pafestula:
Who get time to read this your epistles? Credit alert go follow after reading? Abeg I get better things to do today.

My brother go and eat first.
This thread is not for everybody.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Ojayk(m): 9:52am On Jul 17, 2021
Kwantinue,
Nice piece

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by shortgun(m): 9:53am On Jul 17, 2021
We are waiting

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by PeraGSD: 9:57am On Jul 17, 2021
Interesting read. It reminded me of my days in the oil industry were our team was responsible for something similar but on land. We did flight following monitoring flights from onshore to offshore rig. The chopper chimed in on take off and every 10 mins with coordinates of current location which we logged. We were also responsible for routing any "man overboard" emergency as maybe necessary too. Other interesting stuff then too.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by smartNerd: 9:58am On Jul 17, 2021
Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by donziller(m): 9:59am On Jul 17, 2021
Copy dat,

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by obawinner(m): 10:00am On Jul 17, 2021
Interesting read, and surreal

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Oktane: 10:00am On Jul 17, 2021
KallmemrB0:
No picture.. Nothing to prove your stories

Very sad, very sad indeed.

And all you need to do was ignore or move to the comedy section.

But then again it's quite understandable certain threads require a measure of maturity to flow with.

Kudos OP! your language and mode of expression is bae.

19 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Inception(m): 10:01am On Jul 17, 2021
I was thinking that Willbros was bought over by the now defunct Ascot(Ascot constructors offshore located at their site2 yard and Ascot lines at their site 1yard) at Isodu PH

I do not know about Acorn

4 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Klass99(f): 10:02am On Jul 17, 2021
smiley

3 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by lifenajeje(m): 10:06am On Jul 17, 2021
Lovely read ..

For those with open minds and ready to learn new things ..

Wouid also be interesting to those with sea, construction, oil and gas projects ..

Ashewo beer palour guys una suppose follow this thread oh because anywhere oil and gas/ construction project dey ashawo self go dey ..the two work hand in hand

4 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by SimplyShit: 10:08am On Jul 17, 2021
post=103795114:

You write so lovely.
We can relate to life on the sea.
It is always a beautiful experience each time.

Yes yawn.
This thread ain't for lazy readers.
Happy yawning o smiley

Over sabi. Know know

You know everything and everybody and everywhere

Yet na suya you dey run for street

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Gentlerespect76: 10:09am On Jul 17, 2021
Very smooth, flowery and lucid writing. We are waiting for more.

Soknown:
Thank you Mods, I just realized that my topic made the front page.

3 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by aylipple: 10:11am On Jul 17, 2021
OP please come and continue your story: captivating so far & your use/choice of words is truly commendable.
I believe there are a lot of readers here (myself inclusive) who will appreciate your continuing the story you've already begun. Don't be discouraged by the very impatient few who have tried to derail your thread - to no avail.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Vicben(m): 10:22am On Jul 17, 2021
This is an interesting adventure!

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Generalwoodz(m): 10:30am On Jul 17, 2021
Klass99:
@ Soknown, I like the way you write.

Did you ever have any incidents where a chopper crashed into the sea and your crew had to do rescue activity?

Are men at sea as Hot as I've heard? And if there's a female on board they all try to get in between her legs for some relief?

These are things I've heard and I'm curious to know if there's any truth to it.
IAM not Op but we are as hot as fallen angels

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Marcy45marcy: 10:35am On Jul 17, 2021
Hello
Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by smartNerd: 10:38am On Jul 17, 2021
Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Soknown: 10:59am On Jul 17, 2021
So each morning, we will resume at the dockside, fuel the boat on alternate days, pick food from the Kitchen. Mr. A**a, an itsekiri was the lead cook. We had to discuss this with him at some point. He was giving us Nigerians, the same food meant for the Captain, that was a good thing, right? But when we collected Lasagne in the morning to keep in the fridge, the Captain can eat the Lasagne in the cold form but to us, it was a big punishment. So we spoke with him to be giving us gaari and Okro with different road-blocks in it, Fried rice, Jollof and Chicken. Enough of eating cold continental dishes. In his defense, he did not want to discriminate against the Nigerians, He felt we should be treated equally. He understood our plight and change the menu for us. We will set sail in the morning, doing about 2 knots on the creek until we were outside the Channel, after the channel, the Captain will announce, Full ahead. There was a mystery to me that has not been resolved, outside of the Lagos Channel there were two distinct colors on the water, the dirty-looking light blue sea of the harbor and the deep blue sea, lying side by side yet not mixing. I asked the Captain, I remembered that he said what caused the delineation was the level of salinity in the deep blue seawater and the overdiluted land water mixed with the creek. I hope geologists, water scientists, and mariners can explain this to me.
I was very close to one of the Captains, I could call him my friend because we kept in touch for many years after the project. Captain St****n was a very good man. Unlike his back-back Captain Ch****ph who was a jerk( pardon my French), we were always at loggerhead in the same boat, he felt he was the boss, so he could do anything, I wasn’t having it. The Cabin has no smoking signs everywhere, instead of going outside to smoke, he will sit at the wheel and start to smoke where you have three non-smokers. I never wasted time in confronting him. You may own the boat but comm’on this is my country. I reported him to two Snepco officials but they were not keen on correcting him because of fish, Yes Fish. We do get fish and prawns from Fish trawlers from different countries, Angola, Togo, Benin, Cape Verde, Sao Tome, and Principe. It was free for all out there, I kept wondering why were these people in our territorial waters. What is the work of our Navy? These Trawlers and sometimes canoes might have been on the sea for weeks, so they always need a fresh supply of water and cigarette. So we usually exchanged cigarettes for their swathing catches.
The sea was really calm in the first two months, I mean, April and May but from the end of May, Heavy rain started and the sea became more turbulent. Sweeping and high rolling tides and waves started. Waves that will be higher than a ship. Most times we will run from our location if a mighty wave was coming towards us or the heave became higher. We have all the safety gear and life-saving equipment on board but they will be useless, if the boat capsized. The Thuraya phone was very handy in those difficult days to call out to family members, of course, we were not telling them, we were facing challenges but just talking to them and hearing their voices usually bring some sunshine to our otherwise grim environment, Deep, dark roaring sea and a dark, overcast 'tearing' sky, oh I forgot the cold. I remembered one incident, it was one of those grim days, it started raining from Lagos channel, so the sea was rough, the boat was slamming and banging the waves as we sped at about 15knots/hr to our location. We arrived late to the location, thankfully the weather was so bad that the birds could not take off from LOS and Snake island. The ambience was very dark, rain was hammering us, the waves were rolling us from window to window, port to starboard. There was a killer wave coming towards us, that we needed to move away quickly but the engine did not start, the Captain and the Seaman dived into the engine room to check what the problem was, I was left at the wheel. The Diver was on the lookout. All of a sudden, a dot appeared on the radar yet I could not see anything outside. Then we heard a loud horn, obviously, an oil tanker changed course because of us, we have drifted to her path. As they passed us, The Captain radioed to check on us. We informed him about our problem but that it was resolved as the engine has fired up and running smoothly. I know you want to ask, Yes, collisions do happen on the sea too, it is rare but it can happen.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Klass99(f): 11:15am On Jul 17, 2021
smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Soknown: 11:16am On Jul 17, 2021
The last picture that i posted was taken by a photographer:

Per Karlsson [View profile]
Title: Surfer 1822
Added: Jan 30, 2008
Captured: January 06, 2010 IMO: Unavailable Hits: 1,677

Photo Category: Offshore Crew Vessels

Description:
Surfer 1822
Type: Crew boat
Owner: Bourbon Offshore
Flag: French
Capacity: 25 PAX

Photo taken when inbound to Douala on Wouri River, Cameroon 2010-01-06

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Soknown: 11:18am On Jul 17, 2021
Thanks all for reading and commenting, i will keep updating it.

10 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by itzzkhaliii(m): 11:21am On Jul 17, 2021
Soknown:
The last picture that i posted was taken by a photographer:

Per Karlsson [View profile]
Title: Surfer 1822
Added: Jan 30, 2008
Captured: January 06, 2010 IMO: Unavailable Hits: 1,677

Photo Category: Offshore Crew Vessels

Description:
Surfer 1822
Type: Crew boat
Owner: Bourbon Offshore
Flag: French
Capacity: 25 PAX

Photo taken when inbound to Douala on Wouri River, Cameroon 2010-01-06

Nice thread op,me found my bed relax,plug my charger and followed the thread reading kindly with all interest wishing to learn one or two things from this write up but it seems there are tons of knowledge in here.

But on a serious note op connect your boy na.

4 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by itzzkhaliii(m): 11:22am On Jul 17, 2021
Soknown:
Thanks all for reading and commenting, i will keep updating it.
Abeg quote me anytime you update me no wan miss anything ooo.

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Soknown: 11:25am On Jul 17, 2021
PeraGSD:
Interesting read. It reminded me of my days in the oil industry were our team was responsible for something similar but on land. We did flight following monitoring flights from onshore to offshore rig. The chopper chimed in on take off and every 10 mins with coordinates of current location which we logged. We were also responsible for routing any "man overboard" emergency as maybe necessary too. Other interesting stuff then too.
Interesting experience, Kudos. I guess you are out of the industry now?

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by RajiRasheed(m): 11:26am On Jul 17, 2021
Interesting adventure

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by apatheticme(f): 11:28am On Jul 17, 2021
Soknown:
So each morning, we will resume at the dockside, fuel the boat on alternate days, pick food from the Kitchen. Mr. A**a, an itsekiri was the lead cook. We had to discuss this with him at some point. He was giving us Nigerians, the same food meant for the Captain, that was a good thing, right? But when we collected Lasagne in the morning to keep in the fridge, the Captain can eat the Lasagne in the cold form but to us, it was a big punishment. So we spoke with him to be giving us gaari and Okro with different road-blocks in it, Fried rice, Jollof and Chicken. Enough of eating cold continental dishes. In his defense, he did not want to discriminate against the Nigerians, He felt we should be treated equally. He understood our plight and change the menu for us. We will set sail in the morning, doing about 2 knots on the creek until we were outside the Channel, after the channel, the Captain will announce, Full ahead. There was a mystery to me that has not been resolved, outside of the Lagos Channel there were two distinct colors on the water, the dirty-looking light blue sea of the harbor and the deep blue sea, lying side by side yet not mixing. I asked the Captain, I remembered that he said what caused the delineation was the level of salinity in the deep blue seawater and the overdiluted land water mixed with the creek. I hope geologists, water scientists, and mariners can explain this to me.
I was very close to one of the Captains, I could call him my friend because we kept in touch for many years after the project. Captain St****n was a very good man. Unlike his back-back Captain Ch****ph who was a jerk( pardon my French), we were always at loggerhead in the same boat, he felt he was the boss, so he could do anything, I wasn’t having it. The Cabin has no smoking signs everywhere, instead of going outside to smoke, he will sit at the wheel and start to smoke where you have three non-smokers. I never wasted time in confronting him. You may own the boat but comm’on this is my country. I reported him to two Snepco officials but they were not keen on correcting him because of fish, Yes Fish. We do get fish and prawns from Fish trawlers from different countries, Angola, Togo, Benin, Cape Verde, Sao Tome, and Principe. It was free for all out there, I kept wondering why were these people in our territorial waters. What is the work of our Navy? These Trawlers and sometimes canoes might have been on the sea for weeks, so they always need a fresh supply of water and cigarette. So we usually exchanged cigarettes for their swathing catches.
The sea was really calm in the first two months, I mean, April and May but from the end of May, Heavy rain started and the sea became more turbulent. Sweeping and high rolling tides and waves started. Waves that will be higher than a ship. Most times we will run from our location if a mighty wave was coming towards us or the heave became higher. We have all the safety gear and life-saving equipment on board but they will be useless, if the boat capsized. The Thuraya phone was very handy in those difficult days to call out to family members, of course, we were not telling them, we were facing challenges but just talking to them and hearing their voices usually bring some sunshine to our otherwise grim environment, Deep, dark roaring sea and a dark, overcast 'tearing' sky, oh I forgot the cold. I remembered one incident, it was one of those grim days, it started raining from Lagos channel, so the sea was rough, the boat was slamming and banging the waves as we sped at about 15knots/hr to our location. We arrived late to the location, thankfully the weather was so bad that the birds could not take off from LOS and Snake island. The ambience was very dark, rain was hammering us, the waves were rolling us from window to window, port to starboard. There was a killer wave coming towards us, that we needed to move away quickly but the engine did not start, the Captain and the Seaman dived into the engine room to check what the problem was, I was left at the wheel. The Diver was on the lookout. All of a sudden, a dot appeared on the radar yet I could not see anything outside. Then we heard a loud horn, obviously, an oil tanker changed course because of us, we have drifted to her path. As they passed us, The Captain radioed to check on us. We informed him about our problem but that it was resolved as the engine has fired up and running smoothly. I know you want to ask, Yes, collisions do happen on the sea too, it is rare but it can happen.

Beautiful! Adventurous yet scary, especially for a health care professional who wasn't really trained in a maritime setting! I bet the ER or OR is nothing like the wild rough sea out there!!

I'm following your story back to back.

Kudos!

3 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by iguita: 11:29am On Jul 17, 2021
Educating and awesome read. Couple of questions.
1. With you going out to high seas, how do you avoid pirates?
2. All through your operations, did you encounter any emergency? A fallen bird?
3. Is this kind of a Nigerian thing? Or the IOCs do this monitoring across the world?

Despite all of your adventures, your writing skills are more exciting than your adventures, love it.

I am following this thread, please come update ASAP

2 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Exmilitant(m): 11:30am On Jul 17, 2021
Op, i can relate, once worked with Noble drillings as roostabout and in a fishing trawler as deckhand. Water is another world of its own. Thats why those who've worked long at sea hardly get use to another life. You write like a pro.

3 Likes

Re: The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse. by Soknown: 11:33am On Jul 17, 2021
Inception:
I was thinking that Willbros was bought over by the now defunct Ascot(Ascot constructors offshore located at their site2 yard and Ascot lines at their site 1yard) at Isodu PH
I do not know about Acorn
That is what I heard from guys that I left behind in WAGP, so many stories about Wibros, some said it was bought by a former Governor in an oil rich state.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Create A Yahoo Mail Account From Your Mobile Phone Free / Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? / Waec 2019/2020 Timetable Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.