Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria (34180 Views)

Nigerian Man Shares His Painful Experience With Monkeypox Virus (Graphic Video) / Coronavirus: US Confirms First Death, More Cases Likely / NCDC Confirms Monkeypox In Lagos, Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom Ogun And Ekiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by References: 10:31pm On Jul 16, 2021
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Texas Department of State Health Services confirmed on July 15 a case of human monkeypox in a U.S. resident who recently traveled from Nigeria to the United States. The person is currently hospitalized in Dallas. CDC is working with the airline and state and local health officials to contact airline passengers and others who may have been in contact with the patient during two flights: Lagos, Nigeria, to Atlanta on July 8, with arrival on July 9; and Atlanta to Dallas on July 9.

Travelers on these flights were required to wear masks as well as in the U.S. airports due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, it’s believed the risk of spread of monkeypox via respiratory droplets to others on the planes and in the airports is low. Working with airline and state and local health partners, CDC is assessing potential risks to those who may have had close contact with the traveler on the plane and specific settings.

Monkeypox is a rare but potentially serious viral illness that typically begins with flu-like illness and swelling of the lymph nodes and progresses to a widespread rash on the face and body. Most infections last 2-4 weeks. Monkeypox is in the same family of viruses as smallpox but causes a milder infection. In this case, laboratory testing at CDC showed the patient is infected with a strain of monkeypox most commonly seen in parts of West Africa, including Nigeria. Infections with this strain of monkeypox are fatal in about 1 in 100 people. However, rates can be higher in people who have weakened immune systems.

Prior to the current case, there have been at least six reported monkeypox cases in travelers returning from Nigeria (including cases in the United Kingdom, Israel, and Singapore). This case is not related to any of these previous cases. In the United Kingdom, several additional monkeypox cases occurred in people who had contact with cases.

Background on monkeypox in Africa

Experts have yet to identify where monkeypox hides in nature, but it’s thought that African rodents and small mammals play a part in spreading the virus to people and other forest animals like monkeys. People can get monkeypox when they are bitten or scratched by an animal, prepare wild game, or have contact with an infected animal or possibly animal products. Monkeypox can also spread between people through respiratory droplets, or through contact with body fluids, monkeypox sores, or items that have been contaminated with fluids or sores (clothing, bedding, etc.) Human-to-human transmission is thought to occur primarily through large respiratory droplets.
Respiratory droplets generally cannot travel more than a few feet, so prolonged face-to-face contact is required.
Most monkeypox outbreaks have occurred in Africa. In addition to Nigeria, outbreaks have also been reported in nine other countries in central and western Africa since 1970. Monkeypox also caused a large outbreak in people in the United States in 2003 after the virus spread from imported African rodents to pet prairie dogs.

CDC poxvirus experts have been supporting the investigation and response to Nigeria’s monkeypox flare-ups since 2017 when the disease re-emerged in Nigeria after a nearly 40-year stint with no reported cases. During 2017, CDC sent investigators to assist the Nigerian CDC and the National Veterinary Research Institute with tracing contacts of ill patients, providing diagnostic tests, training lab staff in country to safely test samples from suspect monkeypox cases, providing diagnostic tests and capturing small mammals to test for monkeypox (which would help identify which animals carry the disease in nature).

Scientists at CDC labs in Atlanta have also provided laboratory testing, including specialized tests to identify people who may have had monkeypox and recovered, sequencing to trace outbreaks and phylogenetics to determine if clusters of cases were related. CDC continues to train Nigerian partners in how to collect wildlife to test for which animals carry the virus in nature, helping to improve the country’s ability to track monkeypox cases in people and interview community members about their interactions with local wildlife. CDC is also running trials in Democratic Republic of Congo to assess whether the smallpox vaccine Jynneos may help protect healthcare workers from contracting undiagnosed monkeypox infections from their patients.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0716-confirm-monkeypox.html

JUST IN: Person who tested positive for monkeypox is currently hospitalized in Dallas
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1416133947268898816?s=19

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Dmavin: 10:32pm On Jul 16, 2021
Which one is this one again

Anyway, Your BUSINESS Needs a Professional LOGO:

We will Design a Professional Logo or Letterhead for Your Business or Company for 2k Only

MY Contact Here
https://www.nairaland.com/dmavin

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by inoki247: 10:40pm On Jul 16, 2021
Lol Wahala...

Monkey don finally colet Visa go visit US people....

47 Likes

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by kpukpuyenke: 10:41pm On Jul 16, 2021
Hope not my neighbor's son ooo
Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by nonhuman(m): 10:45pm On Jul 16, 2021
Ok

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by IGBOSON1: 10:51pm On Jul 16, 2021
Could be one of those Nigerians that eat just about anything with a heartbeat....all in the name of bushmeat!

45 Likes

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Mangekyo: 10:53pm On Jul 16, 2021
This is what you get for giving Visa to ZOO elements grin grin
NEXT time make una dey use una brain undecided

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by ignis: 11:15pm On Jul 16, 2021
e dey Nigeria be that.

2 Likes

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Rossinkipp: 11:30pm On Jul 16, 2021
They've invented another 'virus' in their labs and put it on Africa's head.

Demonic entities.

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Ogamysamo: 11:53pm On Jul 16, 2021
waiting to hear lion pox

donkey pox

turkey pox

elephant pox

timaya pox

davido pox

america pox

since everything in this world already have pox

God!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by WonderManly(m): 4:17am On Jul 17, 2021
Haaaaaaa! Wetin again now! Nawa oooo!!
We never finish with Corona Virus 3rd wave.
Monkey Pox they enter. And all these virus no even understand sey wetin dey Nigeria now even pass virus.
I beg, make dem tell them, make dem stay there and perish there ooooooo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Mokason288(m): 4:19am On Jul 17, 2021
Ogamysamo:
waiting to hear lion pox

donkey pox

turkey pox

elephant pox

timaya pox

davido pox

america pox

since everything in this world already have pox

i will not be surprise if i even hear ogamysamo pox

Not funny undecided

Nansense and ingredients

You sound like a child

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by hspda: 4:20am On Jul 17, 2021
If chicken post didn't stop people from eating chicken, I hope monkey pox will stop people from eating monkeys.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by peachesandroses(f): 4:20am On Jul 17, 2021
Allow people finish with corona virus first shocked

1 Like

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:21am On Jul 17, 2021
I no even dey near Texas but I don dey panic already. See wetin Covid don turn person into. Abeg when dem go release vaccine may I atand for line. undecided

1 Like

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by ThinkWISELY(m): 4:22am On Jul 17, 2021
On a more serious nite, which kain early mor mor wahala be this na

No wey I wan go Texas

2 Likes

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Starboytwo(m): 4:22am On Jul 17, 2021
Monkey Post you mean. Any other monkey anything na whining.

Wetin we nor go see for Bihari era.

1 Like

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by oldman112(m): 4:23am On Jul 17, 2021
Still signs of end time, but I hope a solution is found soon, small time now they will stop Nigerians from traveling outside Nigeria.
Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by hope4nigeria(m): 4:24am On Jul 17, 2021
US should get out, they will still see gorillapox,

6 Likes

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Emmanuel224(m): 4:25am On Jul 17, 2021
Starboytwo:
T
uvwxyz undecided space for sale
Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by SVC6000: 4:28am On Jul 17, 2021
must 9ja be the name... who do this to this country
Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Ojemedad: 4:28am On Jul 17, 2021
They have always tried to link all viruses to Africa

Luckily Covid 19 wasn't from Africa else the whole would have outcast all Africans

Just imagine if Covid originated from Africa

25 Likes

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Starboytwo(m): 4:29am On Jul 17, 2021
Emmanuel224:
uvwxyz undecided space for sale
123 nko tongue
Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Shattuck(m): 4:29am On Jul 17, 2021
I hope this doesn't result in racial/ xenophobic behaviour towards nigerians/Africans, we all know how much hate chinese and Asians got because of the convid19.

3 Likes

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by eastOFwest(m): 4:29am On Jul 17, 2021
nonhuman:
Ok

I no follow una dey hype this thing because I know say bad belle malams go use efcc and dss harass Obi Cuban for a long time due to his perceived effrontery. Abba Kyari the trojan horse was there on a secret mission, recording and noting down names of people.

1 Like

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by boolet: 4:29am On Jul 17, 2021
Pestilences... Last days we're living in...
Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by boolet: 4:30am On Jul 17, 2021
eastOFwest:

I no follow una dey hype this thing because I know say bad belle malams go use efcc and dss harass Obi Cuban for a long time due to his perceived effrontery. Abba Kyari the trojan horse was there on a secret mission, recording and noting down names of people.
So you mean Kyari gate crashed the party? I think he was invited.
Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by mukthar2000(m): 4:34am On Jul 17, 2021
Another lockdown loading in Texas.

Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by Ojemedad: 4:34am On Jul 17, 2021
eastOFwest:

Lol, see how oga dey reason, oga wen mumu
Re: US Confirms Monkeypox Virus From Texas Resident Who Travelled From Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:34am On Jul 17, 2021
Ewoooooo shocked shocked shocked

Monkeypox virus again?

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pregnant Woman Beaten By Nurse In Calabar (Photos) / Dangerous Habits That Can Damage Your Liver / Apetamin Weight Gain Syrup 200ml

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.