Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

The Courtroom Episodes - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Courtroom Episodes (502 Views)

A Road To Nowhere (all episodes) / ISABELLA – In Love With A Marmaid (complete Episodes) / knight of valor episodes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 4:18am On Jul 18, 2021
Indistinct noise stemmed from the crowds of eager spectators gathered in the public gallery of the courtroom and spread through the four corners of its ample box-like setting. Just like the men of press present in their numbers, the crowds have come to bear witness to the final sitting of the proceedings, which as dubbed by tabloids and analysts across the country was the greatest legal proceedings of the century.

“Order!” The tall, lanky court clerk barked out, rising to his feet.

Noting the noise had dwindled to a wisp, he continued. “Now, we shall proceed with the case between ‘The State’ and Mr. David Elias on several counts of fraudulent scams, cybercrimes, phishing, as well as the improper appropriation of funds and money laundering.” He finished and planted his posterior back on his seat.

“All rise prosecution counsels in attendance.” The clerk called from his place across the judge.

Six advocates—four women and two men rose to their feet at the mention of that, took a bow before the judge, and flopped back into their various seats.

“All rise defense counsels!” The clerk called once again.

The judge, a woman in her late fifties with a round, pert face and small triangular nose noticed for the first time since her arrival that there were no counsels seated at the defense counsels’ end of the bar table.

Shocked by this development, she retrieved her wire-rimmed glasses from its place on the bridge of her nose and looked across to the dock, where the accused was seated.

Priming her lips, she said pointedly. “Mr. David, may I enquire as to why there are no counsels present to defend you? Or, have you decided to accept defeat and plead guilty to the charges against you?”

The accused, a young man in his twenties with seemingly handsome features rose gingerly to his feet from where he was seated in the dock, righting himself on the edges of the shimmery wood panel of the dock.

1 Like

Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 4:20am On Jul 18, 2021
“Accept defeat?” He scoffed. “Not quite, your honor.”

Instead of uttering another word, the judge opted to ask her next question with an arched brow.

“Improvisation, your honor. I have decided to defend myself this time. I figured I could save some bucks by putting to good use my head and mouth. I only hope I’m not denied the right to stand proxy for myself by this court, your honor.”

“Suit yourself!” The judge said, breaking eye contact. “Now, the hearings may begin.”

The shorter of the two men among the prosecution counsels shot to his feet at once. “Your honor, as we all know these proceedings have lasted for several months, which in my own view is unnecessary concerning the fact that, the accused is guilty on all grounds. I will like to implore you to thaw out justice which in every sense has been frozen for too long.”

The judge gave a curt nod to that and watched as the man subsided back to his seat.

“Your honor, I will like the accused to give a detailed explanation on how he acquired a whopping sum of $300, 000, 000 found in an offshore account linked to him, and the other funds distributed across various Swiss accounts as detailed by the paper trail evidence tendered before this court by the EFCC.” It was one of the female counsels that asked this time.

“Of course I acquired the fund just like any smart G’s of the country would, your honor,” David said from where he stood at the dock.

“How so, Mr. David?” The judge asked, not buying his half statement.

“Through scamming, your honor.” David brazenly disclosed to the shock of the courtroom, which was instantly filled with a chorus of ‘humphs’.

“You shall hold your tongue no more, Mr. David.” The judge said over the murmurs now spreading through the hall, scribbling on the note before her.

“Very well your honor.”

The clerk took charge yet again. “Order!”

A hush settled over the courtroom in no time. And once it did, a dark lady from the prosecution counsel got to her feet. “Your honor, I have before me here evidence and digital footprints detailing the criminal records of the accused. And I will like to ask if he’s sorry for any of these crimes he has committed.”

“Why should I be sorry for the things I have done?” David wasted no time with a response.

Again, the courtroom was thrown into a state of confusion by his blunt response, as well as his blatant disregard for the implications of his actions.

“Do politicians feel sorry when they take for themselves money meant for the prosperity of the nation and the masses? Do the rich and wealthy feel sorry for not caring for the poor and the less-privileged? Do the cops and jury feel sorry after taking a tip to obstruct justice?”

Murmurs and shouts erupted from the crowds again as the accused dropped yet another bomb on the courtroom.

“Objection your honor!” One of the counsels prompted.

“Objection overruled.” The judge returned sternly. “You may continue Mr. David.”
Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 4:21am On Jul 18, 2021
David seized the chance and continued as instructed. “Do doctors feel sorry when they demand huge sums from people who can barely afford one square meal a day? Do the banks apologize when they do their magic and lay claim to the funds of a deceased customer?”

He smiled warmly to himself, before adding. “I could go on and on. But the point is if none of these people and agencies feel sorry for what they’ve done. Then, why should I feel sorry for staking out a life for myself? Why then should I feel regret for my actions?”

The other man from the prosecution counsel inflamed by this unending parade of nuisance shot to his feet. When he spoke, however, there are no traces of the anger or contempt he felt toward the accused in his voice. “Your grace, will you allow this menace purported by the accused to go on still?”

“You may have your seat, counsel.” The judge said, waving the accused on.

“My only regret is that I won’t be living the fast-lane life long enough. My regret is I couldn’t live the good life as much as I wished. My regret is I wouldn’t be able to put a smile on my mama’s face as I have planned. My regret is I couldn’t fulfill my wildest dream…”

The judge waited for him to go on, and when he didn’t, she was impelled to ask. “Do the accused care to share with this court what his wildest dream is?”

David paused long enough to construct his answer. “My wildest dream your honor is, to get enough money till I can buy the bank and those in charge of it.”

The judge despite herself had a laugh then, joining the lot whose laughter was carried through the courtroom at the unusual remark from the accused.

In a transient change, her features took on a cold, impassive look as if nothing had happened. “At this point, I don’t think I have a choice but to ask if you’re being bold or foolish, Mr. David?”

“I’m simply being bold, your honor.” David returned flippantly. “It’s hard not to when you consider where I was coming from.”

Another lady from the prosecution counsel rose gently to her feet this time. “I will like to commend the accused for his honesty and straightforwardness.”

“Well, it’s not as if I have a choice,” David said with a shrug.

“However, I will like to ask if the accused plead guilty to all the charges pressed against him in this court?” The lady inquired smoothly.

“Guilty? To be frank with you, I think your definition of guilty may stand in contrast with my definition of guilty. And for this reason, I sought clarity as to your claim of guilty.”
Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 4:24am On Jul 18, 2021
The young lady of midget build was stunned as much as everyone in the courtroom by this response, and in reaction to this had her jaw literally dropped to the floor.

The judge, however, was quick to recover from this and slammed the gavel against the anvil. “Enough of this child play of yours already, Mr. David. I will not have you turn this proceeding into a circus show.” She berated.

“My apologies your honor,” David said with a theatrical bow.

The judge continued more vehemently. “From this moment on, you shall conduct yourself, your manners as well as your tongue. You shall only speak when spoken to. You shall employ no further use of your banters, or your cunny responses, and give answers to the questions asked to the best of your knowledge and the interest of this court. God knows I will not condone any of your jests or sweet words any longer. And if otherwise, so help me God, I will make sure you rot behind bars for the rest of your miserable life. Is that understood?”

“Very well, your honor.”

“Now, your answer!” The judge ordered.

“Well, if your claim of being guilty has anything to do with me refusing to be a victim in the state of things in this country, then, I plead not guilty. If my crime is regarding my refusal to languish in poverty and wretchedness, then, I plead not guilty. If my transgressions are concerning me carving out a life for myself, then, I tell you, I plead not guilty. If having to live in the backwaters of society will prove me innocent of all these claims, then, I would rather be guilty than spend my life in abjection.”

“Mr. David, I want to believe you understand the implications of all you’ve said so far?” The judge asked.

“Quite so, your honor.”

“And do you not desire to take your words back?” The judge prodded.

“Not at all, my lord.”

“May I know why you have chosen this?”

“Because I believe I deserved whatever outcomes that may results from this hearing, your honor.”

“Even when you know the outcome is leaning toward the bad side?”

“Yes, your honor.”

The judge puzzled by his response, leaned back in her chair, and said. “And you’re not afraid of that? Or are you?”

“Not in the slightest, your grace.”

“May I enquire as to why you have this rather unusual resolve?”

“It’s simple, my lord,” David said with a small smile and continued. “Contrary to popular belief, anyone in my line of business knows the risk of their undertakings. They know the consequences of their actions. And unlike most people believed, we have a heart beating in our chests. And yes, we know compassion and mercy.”

He continued. “Thing is, it’s just a matter of choices. And believe me, your honor, when I say the case is one and the same for every one of us. Like the drug lords of South America, and the Mafias of Sicily, the Madame and ladies that have turned to prostitution, we know how bad the things we do. And like every one of these men and women who have had to make such choices, life offered us little choice. So, we decide to take from life what it has denied us.”
Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 4:30am On Jul 18, 2021
“And considering the situation in the countries like Brazil, Colombia, and ours, you know there’s little that can be done to salvage something for ourselves. And when you put into consideration our beloved Nigeria, where 90% of the masses are wallowing in abject poverty, and the rich is a mere 5% of the remaining 10%. Then, you know that’s a summon to give it your all. It’s a cold world out there, your honor, and the only thing we have done wrong, the only crime the people like myself have committed is tilting the scale to our favor. All we’ve ever wanted is a taste of the good life. All we’ve ever coveted is a chance to have a say and leave our mark.”

David made a slight bow before he added. “So, if I am sentenced to life imprisonment for seeking an escape from impoverishment, then, so be it. If I will end up as an inmate in a God knows prison cell for turning the odds in my favor, then, I wouldn’t mind. If I will be judged because I decide to make life better for myself and my progenies, then, let me have it. For all I care, people have done worse. And if I have the chance to rewrite all of this, then, I would gladly do it all over again.”

The courtroom rippled on the instant with murmurs and gasps from the spectators, who were taken aback by this and were unable to hide their shocks and surprises at the accused’s audacity.

Once the new wave of noise settled, another lady from the counsel rose to her feet. “Well spoken, Mr. David. However, smooth and glib you may sound, I will very much like to counter your point.” The lady turned away from the accused, looking directly at the judge. “Permission to table some facts before the accused, your grace.”

“Go ahead!” The judge simply urged.

“Thank you, your honor.” She said with a slight bow, turning around to face the accused once more. “Mr. David, considering the points you have made so far, which are in fact correct. I seek your opinions on the following.”

“Do go on, please.” David offered.

“You’re aware of a faction of Nigerian youths that makes their money on the online marketplace, yes?”

David nodded in response.

“I want to believe you know there are other youths in your shoes, who have chosen to make legit money through the same internet you and your cronies have soiled with your disgraceful acts.”

“Of course, there are many youths in the country who have chosen the steep path over ours.” David was forthcoming once more.

Satisfied with his response, the lady further asked. “And may I ask why you’ve chosen not to walk down this same path? Besides, I believe you have your head and limbs intact, do you not?”

“Both parts are indeed in a perfect working order, ma’am,” David said. “And as per your question. Myself and other wise guys who have chosen this path have done so the same way other people have chosen other professions aside from law. Besides, I doubt if everyone can become a lawyer?”

“Your tongue, Mr. David!” The judge was quick to react before that defying act plunged the courtroom into yet another chaos.

“I’m sorry your honor.”

“Answer the question, will you?” The judge snarled.

“Very well.” David for the first time since the beginning of the hearing removed his hand from the edge of the dock and continued. “Not everyone is comfortable with earning their bread that way, I believe. And besides, who says, we don’t put in as much work as freelancers or other internet hustlers?”

The lady turned away from him then, setting her gaze straight at the judge. “Your Grace, I have but one last question for the accused.”

“Go on and ask, counsel.” The judge waved her on.
Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 4:31am On Jul 18, 2021
The lady smiled warmly, then turned around to face the accused once more. “Mr. David, there are other ways in which a young lad like you may earn his daily means in this country, No?”

“Yes,” David answered straight up.

“And may I inquire as to why you have decided not to make such honorable choices?”

“If all you’re endeavoring to ask me is why I have chosen not to work as a menials hire. Then, here are my reasons.” David drew in a lungful of breath and continued. “Myself like most youths in our beloved country aren’t taught the ways of the plow, neither are we taught to build houses with bricks, nor, do we have for ourselves rich fathers. All we have been taught is the western ways of life. We’ve been led to believe that through education, we may rule the world. We have believed that all can be done and achieved through this. And this we have done, this we have achieved. And where has that gotten us? Rock bottom, is it not? Or, is it not the same government of our beloved country that said there are no corporate works for youths?”

David had to catch his breath before he forged on. “So, what then is the fate for someone like myself, an IT student who graduated top of his class in the prestigious U.I? What is the fate for many others, whose dreams are to earn through their own sweat and have been denied the chance by a failed government? How do you expect us to survive in an economy, where a bag of rice is higher than the minimum wage?”

David continued in a voice raw with emotions. “And for many others who have journeyed down the other path to learn a trade and has nothing to show for it? Do you wish for them to rot in poverty? Do they all have to become tricycle riders? Or, do you expect every youth, graduate or not to become Okada rider? Or, would you have us all turn to bricklayers and farmers instead? I really doubt that. I can only hope my answers were befitting enough”

The lady without a word sank to her seat silently, joining heads with others as they contrived on what to do next.

The judge, on the other hand, had other plans and set them in motion. “Mr. David you have made thus far some fair points. And I will be unfair and dumb to say there is no wisdom in your words, as there is even sense in no sense at all. But, good or not, my job is not to judge you on your words. My job, however, is to judge you by your intents and actions and to deal with evidence and facts. And it’s from this that I draw my opinions, and will thereby, pass my judgment.”

“Mr. David, just like you said earlier, life is a matter of choices. And I must break it to you that, you Mr. David has made some bad choices. Bad choices that have wet the faces of others with sorrowful tears. Bad choices have rendered others homeless, jobless, futureless, and as well, lifeless. And though you may say and claim you’re no thief. I think you’re not very much different from thieves and robbers. For robbers, evil is delivered through force and yours through wiles and deceit. And a thief takes lives with guns and cutlasses, but you take lives with your phones and your computers. And I must add that, like thieves and robbers, you take properties from their owners. You live off the sweat of others. And as well rob them of their health and sanity. For such sins, there’s nothing comparable. These evils are the worst perpetrated by men. These crimes are against humanity and the God of creation. And therefore can never be overlooked.”
Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 4:32am On Jul 18, 2021
“And so, before I pass my judgment, do you have any last words of advice for people like yourself?” The judge asked, returning her glasses to its place on the bridge of her nose.

“I do, your honor.”

“Then, get on with it.” The judge simply said, putting pen to book.

“I have with me no last words, but words of encouragement as I believe this will not be my last,” David said, clicking his tongue. “But however the ruling of this court may pan out. I don’t want to be remembered as a scammer or an ordinary thief. Rather I want to be remembered as the voice of the poor. I want to be remembered as an agent of change, like Robin Hood and his outlaws. I want to be seen as someone who sees injustice and stood up to it. I want to be seen in the light of a reformer, who was unwilling to bend to the laws of society. I want to be seen as someone, who sick and irritated of being inferior to the filthy rich and wealthy, went out of his way to claim for himself a name. I want to be remembered as one of the new generations of Nigerian youths that will give all it takes to make life better for themselves, who will go out and lay claim to what has been denied them by the politicians, and the top people of the society. I want to be viewed as someone who unsatisfied with the order of things tip the scale toward himself. I want to be seen among the league of those, who daring enough, set out on the task to reduce the ratio of the rich and the poor by a wide gap in our society.”

He continued regardless of the stirs and murmurs from the crowds. “I know the odds were never in my favor from the start, but as I go down today, I hope many like myself will rise in the thousands until the scale is evenly balanced.”

“Very well then,” The judge said with a slight nod to that. “Now my judgment; for crimes and evils committed against humanity and the Almighty, I hereby sentenced you Mr. David Elias to 25 years to life of hard toil and labor at the Ilesha maximum prison. I hope this serves as a lesson for others, who will dare walk down the same path as you.” She finished and rose nimbly to her feet.

The clerk rose in tandem as well and called in a shrill voice. “All rise!”

At that, all assembled in the hall from counsels to the EFCC officials, policemen, men of the press and the spectators rose as one to their feet, took a bow, and watched as the accused was led out of the courtroom from his place at the dock by a handful of cops.

1 Like

Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2021
Top notch writing bro.invoked emotion,made me ask questions...really great work

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 12:52am On Jul 20, 2021
Ultrav:
Top notch writing bro.invoked emotion,made me ask questions...really great work

I'm glad I did. Thanks very much, sire.
Re: The Courtroom Episodes by Salahdin(m): 9:50pm On Jul 21, 2021
More to come on the heels of this!

(1) (Reply)

The Sea / Need A Resume To Help Boost Your Chances On Job Search? / The New Amazing Thriller, The Twelfth Gate. In Bookstores And Theaters Soon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.