Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,889 members, 7,824,716 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) (945 Views)

Rory Van: 'Strongest Girl In The World', Aged 7, Who Lifts 80kg Olympic Weight / Regina Askia As A Contestant At Miss International In Japan In 1990 (Photos) / Peter Okoye Drives N30m Dodge Challenger To Renew His Contract With Olympic Milk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by TMKsouth: 2:37pm On Jul 18, 2021
SA's Rugby Sevens coach Neil Powell is among four South Africans who have tested positive for Covid on arrival in Japan, including three SA Under-23 football members.

The entire Under-23 squad is in quarantine after two players, Thabiso Monyane and Kamohelo Mahlatsi, as well as video analyst Mario Masha tested positive for Covid-19.

Team South Africa confirmed the news in a statement on Sunday, saying their officials and management followed all relevant Olympic Playbook rules, protocols and procedures throughout the pre-Games and Games arrival routines.

They added that the rest of the team had tested negative twice and was closely following all the recommendations of the local health authorities.

According to the Guardian UK, the three South Africa football squad members were the first reported cases found on arrival at the Olympic Village, ahead of the Games' start this Friday.

"Every member of Team South Africa required full medical clearance as an eligibility criteria," said Team SA's Chief Medical Officer Dr Phatho Zondi.

"The timing of the positive results suggests that the PCR test in these individuals was done during the incubation period of the infection, which is how they could be negative in South Africa and then positive in Japan.

Infection rates are rising among the general population of Tokyo, topping 1,000 new cases for four consecutive days. Polls show many Japanese people oppose holding the Games with the influx of overseas visitors it entails.

In total, organisers on Sunday reported 10 new cases connected to the Olympics including media, contractors and other personnel. That compares with 15 new cases on Saturday.

Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by Kriss216: 2:37pm On Jul 18, 2021
Na so South Africa things dey be. Always disgracing Africa. Dem no test the players for SA before heading to Japan?

The timing of the positive results suggests that the PCR test in these individuals was done during the incubation period of the infection, which is how they could be negative in South Africa and then positive in Japan.
They're now blaming innocent timing for their laxity.

Negative in SA, Positive in Japan.

Welcome to Africa!

1 Like

Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by tompat86(m): 2:41pm On Jul 18, 2021
It is well
Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by Jerryherd: 2:42pm On Jul 18, 2021
Total disaster... 2021 Olympics

I hope they quickly send them back for treatment and replace them

1 Like

Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by TMKsouth: 2:48pm On Jul 18, 2021
Kriss216:
Na so South Africa things dey be. Always disgracing Africa. Dem no test the players for SA before heading to Japan?

Welcome to Africa!

South Africa has conducted over 14 million Covid tests as of yesterday. How many has Nigeria tested?

Because of the incubation period it is possible that they can be negative in SA and positive in Japan - it's a whole day's flying time.

Other countries also testing positive outside the athletes village.

1 Like

Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by TMKsouth: 3:08pm On Jul 18, 2021
Jerryherd:
Total disaster... 2021 Olympics

I hope they quickly send them back for treatment and replace them

Yeah, these are just the first positive cases - many others still coming from around the world. Possible disaster in the making.

I don't think there's much talent left to replace them because other SA squad members pulled out early due to various medical reasons. And SA plays Japan in the opening game this coming Friday.

Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:24pm On Jul 18, 2021
Nigerian official reportedly hospitalised on Saturday.

Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:03pm On Jul 18, 2021
Team Great Britain on Sunday.

Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by theTranslator: 10:37am On Jul 19, 2021
TMKsouth:

South Africa has conducted over 14 million Covid tests as of yesterday. How many has Nigeria tested?

Because of the incubation period it is possible that they can be negative in SA and positive in Japan - it's a whole day's flying time.

Other countries also testing positive outside the athletes village.
let me tell you a secret
Covid in Nigeria is totally fake

Shocked? shocked

I can tell you that the covid in Nigeria is just for external aid
Restrictions are absent
Politicians holding election campaigns with thousands of maskless crowds in the first wave grin
I can't remember the last time I wore a mask
Maybe last year cheesy

Most of the cases in Nigeria were fabricated by reporting other illnesses like malaria as covid grin
The deaths are mostly deaths from old people who died of natural causes reported as "covid"
All the politicians want is to follow the crowd and get some financial aid to squander
The genuine cases and deaths are mostly from politicians that went out of the country

If covid was really infectious and effective in Nigeria
More than 100 million people would be dead by now undecided

2 Likes

Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:37pm On Jul 19, 2021
theTranslator:
let me tell you a secret
Covid in Nigeria is totally fake

Shocked? shocked

I can tell you that the covid in Nigeria is just for external aid
Restrictions are absent
Politicians holding election campaigns with thousands of maskless crowds in the first wave grin
I can't remember the last time I wore a mask
Maybe last year cheesy

Most of the cases in Nigeria were fabricated by reporting other illnesses like malaria as covid grin
The deaths are mostly deaths from old people who died of natural causes reported as "covid"
All the politicians want is to follow the crowd and get some financial aid to squander
The genuine cases and deaths are mostly from politicians that went out of the country

If covid was really infectious and effective in Nigeria
More than 100 million people would be dead by now undecided

I might actually agree with u on this one - most of West Africa is totally unaffected by this virus - with exceptions of course like Senegal and Ghana that have credible governments and reporting. Nigerian politics really needs a serious cleanup judging from what you just wrote.

Its a different story in Southern Africa though, with regard to Covid. Some people were sceptical in the beginning but they have been greatly reduced as people they know personally and famous ones died. I don't think we have Covid sceptics anymore in SA - it's real.
Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by theTranslator: 1:39pm On Jul 19, 2021
TMKsouth:

I might actually agree with u on this one - most of West Africa is totally unaffected by this virus - with exceptions of course like Senegal and Ghana that have credible governments and reporting. Nigerian politics really needs a serious cleanup judging from what you just wrote.

Its a different story in Southern Africa though, with regard to Covid. Some people were sceptical in the beginning but they have been greatly reduced as people they know personally and famous ones died. I don't think we have Covid sceptics anymore in SA - it's real.
I know it's real
I watch news and see the genuine emphaty that Ramaphosa talks about vaccine arpatheid
and corruption is little
No squandering of funds

I think the heat is a factor
SA is cooler
It even has Mediterranean climate

Tunisia and SA are the most affected
The Mediterranean climate is I both

Covid in Africa is less fatal than elsewhere though
Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by TMKsouth: 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2021
theTranslator:

I know it's real
I watch news and see the genuine emphaty that Ramaphosa talks about vaccine arpatheid
and corruption is little
No squandering of funds

I think the heat is a factor
SA is cooler
It even has Mediterranean climate

Tunisia and SA are the most affected
The Mediterranean climate is I both

Covid in Africa is less fatal than elsewhere though

The heat factor should be explored more coz our second wave in SA was in January at the height of summer (30+ degree weather). I think Brazil has similar harsh weather to parts of West Africa but u know the Covid situation over there. International connectivity also matters, because SA is more connected than Nigeria but Nigerians travel abroad a lot so you should have had an outbreak there too.

Seriously, I don't know why you're not worse affected, I don't even wanna guess.
Re: Four SA Athletes First To Have Covid Inside Olympic Village In Japan (PIX) by theTranscriber: 10:10pm On Jul 20, 2021
TMKsouth:

The heat factor should be explored more coz our second wave in SA was in January at the height of summer (30+ degree weather). I think Brazil has similar harsh weather to parts of West Africa but u know the Covid situation over there. International connectivity also matters, because SA is more connected than Nigeria but Nigerians travel abroad a lot so you should have had an outbreak there too.

Seriously, I don't know why you're not worse affected, I don't even wanna guess.
Nigeria's temperature is fairly fixed throughout the year
The range is always less than 10
26 in the south
About 29 in the north
Maybe variation in weather is a factor cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Of Bbnaija Tolanibaj, Prince And Dorathy Spending Time With Giraffes / Davido Took His Daughter, Imade Adeleke For Shopping In The UK / Bbnaija Season 6 Winner Whitemoney Arrive Kano With Liquorose And Prince.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.