Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:34 PM

Maize Hybrid Selection (share Your Experiences) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Hybrid Selection (share Your Experiences) (376 Views)

Maize Hybrid Seed Seedco / Pepper And Tomatoes Business, Come In And Share Your Experiences / Parrot Destroys Man's Maize Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maize Hybrid Selection (share Your Experiences) by betabread: 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2021
I am about to select corn to plant this august break in a swampy location and would love to hear from experienced farmers on the hybrids they have planted and the location. I am targeting fresh market and would like to know how many bags(GADO size) they have gotten from an acre with planting practices they followed to achieve their result...................

lets rub minds
Re: Maize Hybrid Selection (share Your Experiences) by betabread: 1:33pm On Jul 19, 2021
So many Hybrids available but many are plagued by un-even emergence.................... A very scary scenerio a week or two after planting
Re: Maize Hybrid Selection (share Your Experiences) by Abdullahi4u7(m): 9:41pm On Feb 14, 2023
betabread:
I am about to select corn to plant this august break in a swampy location and would love to hear from experienced farmers on the hybrids they have planted and the location. I am targeting fresh market and would like to know how many bags(GADO size) they have gotten from an acre with planting practices they followed to achieve their result...................

lets rub minds
Which variety did you plant in the end and how was the yield?
Re: Maize Hybrid Selection (share Your Experiences) by betabread: 11:20pm On Feb 14, 2023
O
Abdullahi4u7:
Which variety did you plant in the end and how was the yield?

Suwan, my highest yield right now is 2.5 bags per alakpin (1/2 plot).......

Standard in the corn belt is 7-8 bags, but im not ready to pay for the input interms of fertilizer and original hybrid, maintenance of planter......

I hope to push the 4-5bags mark with my current inputs unchanged......

Be that as it may difference in output interms of cob volume is similar

I wont advise u to plant this for grain output as its grain to cob volume is small plus it doesn’t fill its cobs well when population is very high
Re: Maize Hybrid Selection (share Your Experiences) by Abdullahi4u7(m): 8:17am On Feb 15, 2023
betabread:
O

Suwan, my highest yield right now is 2.5 bags per alakpin (1/2 plot).......

Standard in the corn belt is 7-8 bags, but im not ready to pay for the input interms of fertilizer and original hybrid, maintenance of planter......

I hope to push the 4-5bags mark with my current inputs unchanged......

Be that as it may difference in output interms of cob volume is similar

I wont advise u to plant this for grain output as its grain to cob volume is small plus it doesn’t fill its cobs well when population is very high
So the 2.5 bags you mentioned is when it's harvested fresh?
Re: Maize Hybrid Selection (share Your Experiences) by betabread: 10:19am On Feb 16, 2023
Abdullahi4u7:
So the 2.5 bags you mentioned is when it's harvested fresh?

Fresh not dried, I never sell dry corn cos of thieves and pest in my locality

(1) (Reply)

Input Loan Wet Season 2021, Real Or Fake? / I Need Transport For Pepper From Ilesha To Lagos / Everything You Need To Know About The Amazing Wyandotte Chicken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.