Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,591 members, 7,816,460 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. (609 Views)

My Niece Just Got Scammed By Carbon Loan Company / How Effective Is The Threats From Online Loan Company? / How Do I Know If A Loan Company Is Legit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by tolor: 6:38pm On Jul 19, 2021
Good day Nairalanders, So I took a loan of 7ķ from one of these loan apps(9ja cash) and regrettably defaulted on repayment. Now the thing is, for every day I fail to pay up, an extra amount is added as a penalty which means I'd end up paying more than what I was supposed to pay.

Could you believe that this people started calling my contacts and sending them messages with my picture saying that I'm a scammer that ran away with company's money. They even involved my family and said that we are scammers who defraud people of their money.

How does a debtor become a scammer.

Why would the CBN allow these companies to get away with stuff like this?

So what happens when I eventually pay, what happens to my battered reputation?

Lawyers in the house what step can I take to address the issue.

Is this the general practice with lenders or are these companies over stepping some boundaries.

Other betting companies who do these include
Credit9ja
Go to cash

Lalasticlala Seun Dominique
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by thesicilian: 6:40pm On Jul 19, 2021
If you take a loan and refuse to pay, you're regrettably a scammer. And to make matters worse instead of looking for ways to pay them back their money, you're looking for lawyers to help you fight them.
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by tolor: 6:41pm On Jul 19, 2021
thesicilian:
If you take a loan and refuse to pay, you're regrettably a scammer
really?
So who is a debtor?

Have you ever defaulted on a deadline before?
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by thesicilian: 6:44pm On Jul 19, 2021
tolor:
really?
So who is a debtor?

Have you ever defaulted on a deadline before?
A 'debtor' would have contacted them when the situation arose that made him not able to meet up with his payment, asking for understanding and more time to pay up. But a scammer would just ignore his creditor. Put yourself in their shoes.

1 Like

Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by tolor: 6:45pm On Jul 19, 2021
Remember also they have your bvn and all that and also a lieu(not sure of the spelling) is placed on your account such that any money deposited in your account will be automatically collected by them.

So why spoiling people's name for a money you'd still get with added interest.
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by tolor: 6:49pm On Jul 19, 2021
thesicilian:

A 'debtor' would have contacted them when the situation arose that made him not able to meet up with his payment, asking for understanding and more time to pay up. But a scammer would just ignore his creditor. Put yourself in their shoes.
Not really. They contacted me at first and I told them I will be late on payment because I used the money to settle an emergency and they should please bear with me. Next thing I knew, calls coming in from friends and family thinking I ran away with some company's Billions cheesy you know. Still not cool.
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by thesicilian: 6:53pm On Jul 19, 2021
Just pay them their money sha, they will leave you alone. The more you drag this the worse it gets for your credit score, which might affect you later in future. The ideal thing to do next time is to let them know before the deadline for payment that you might not be able to meet up (don't wait for them to call you first). You might end up paying late payment charges and so on, but it's the respectable thing to do.
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by SportsHD: 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2021
That's how loan sharks do business in Nigeria.
That's their way of enforcing people to pay up. If not, they'll have packed up and gone back to China.
No need of hiring a lawyer.
Just try and repay the debt. And, delete don't the app, never use it again.
Spread the word.
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by tolor: 7:23pm On Jul 19, 2021
thesicilian:
Just pay them their money sha, they will leave you alone. The more you drag this the worse it gets for your credit score, which might affect you later in future. The ideal thing to do next time is to let them know before the deadline for payment that you might not be able to meet up (don't wait for them to call you first). You might end up paying late payment charges and so on, but it's the respectable thing to do.
Do they have permission from the CBN to do all. Is it standard practice
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by tolor: 7:24pm On Jul 19, 2021
SportsHD:
That's how loan sharks do business in Nigeria.
That's their way of enforcing people to pay up. If not, they'll have packed up and gone back to China.
No need of hiring a lawyer.
Just try and repay the debt. And, delete don't the app, never use it again.
Spread the word.
I'm deleting the app as son as I pay up
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by AroOkigbo(m): 7:31pm On Jul 19, 2021
tolor:
You have money for a lawyer, yet you refused paying your debt. You see why I'm finding it difficult to continue to loan people some money.
You lot hardly pay. ..rather looking for ways to throw emotions around.
Bros, go and pay your debt!
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by Yusfunoble(m): 7:34pm On Jul 19, 2021
You people no dey hear word. After countless threads on these loan sharks, you will still go deal with them and come here to complain.

1 Like

Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by Donkwakwas(m): 7:35pm On Jul 19, 2021
When you were signing up agreed to their terms and conditions and granted them access to view your contact list.....you probably did all these without paying attention ... Cause all you needed then was for the loan to be approved.....

1 Like

Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 19, 2021
I honestly think the 15% in 2weeks is not quote and unquote fair, it doesn't allow people to borrow for trade, but rather for emergencies. I understand it is a high risk business loaning money to people with no collateral but data, but the risk should be carried insurance companies , or we find a way to create a buffer when the debt becomes unserviceable not other customers... Low interest rate and long duration period would really help micro SME not this gbos gbas that we are doing in this country.

1 Like

Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by Sanchez01: 10:19pm On Jul 19, 2021
@tolor, a lawyer can't help you. After a recent topic about them made front page, I went in search of their "TERMS" and found out these things are well spelt out and choosing to use them means you consented to their terms of use.
Re: How A Loan Company Tarnished My Reputation. by thesicilian: 1:06am On Jul 20, 2021
tolor:
Don't know, but then they have permission from you, when you agreed to all their terms and conditions by clicking "accept" everywhere.

(1) (Reply)

Tips For Choosing The Right Web Design Agency / 5 Ways To Ensure The Success Of Your Recruitment Agency / Official Port Harcourt Forum?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.