Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,784 members, 7,862,603 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 08:29 PM

Ilorin Durbar: A Misplaced Priority In Ilorin? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ilorin Durbar: A Misplaced Priority In Ilorin? (474 Views)

A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times / Peter Obi Vehemently Condemns Lagos-Calabar Highway As A Misplaced Priority / ‘Misplaced Priority’ – Obi Questions Lagos-calabar Super Highway Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ilorin Durbar: A Misplaced Priority In Ilorin? by Tourshaw: 6:43pm On Jul 19, 2021
Is it not audible to the deaf and visible to the blind the level of poverty and nothingness in Ilorin?Masses are hungry and can hardly feed once daily. People live and breathe in hunger and penury. But our headache is Durbar. How exactly is that not a misplaced priority?

In 2018 that the Durbar was done, one rich man donated 20million. With 20m, you can give 10k to 2000 people. This year again, donations have been received. A very good number of them. One of them is another rich man in Ilorin who reportedly donated 10million naira to support the Durbar festival this year. With that alone, you can give 10k each to 1000 people. A thousand people genuinely happy and smiling all because of you alone. But no, they won't do that because such donation won't get talked about and won't get as loud as this. In that wise, the agenda of the donation is not the people but the public. There's a significant difference between the two.

To quickly reset your presumption, I am not opposing Durbar, no. I even admire it greatly. I spent more than a year in Kano State and I saw the beauty and heritage of Durbar there.

My point however, is, when is poverty eradication going to receive the kind of attention and contribution Durbar festival in Ilorin receives all the time? When is joblessness going to be the centre focus of all these so-called philanthropists? Being popular for investing in people is better than being popular for Durbar contribution. Don't you agree with me on this?

All these politically motivated donations should have been directed and targeted to whatever serves the interest of all and sundry in Ilorin in terms of empowerment. Let's not allow these peoples use their Durbar donations as their contribution to the society in their campaign manifestos. Let's protect the sanctity of the norm.

It's a big shame that these people pay no attention to how difficult things are within the city and how struggling living is for the common man. They don't care about how you live. Every one naira that leaves them to us as Durbar donation comes with their hidden agenda.

The most annoying part is the way we praise and worship these people for these little-or-no-good donations. For crying out loud, we need to have a clear and accurate definition of our political expectations so as to avoid unnecessary mix-up and disappointment

I hope and pray that the affluent among us will use their affluence for individual betterment of Ilorin people. We have enough people that can totally eradicate poverty from Ilorin. May Allah guide our leaders aright. This is the most important.

Ilorin o ni baje fa. InshaAllah.

Written by:
Abdulkareem Abdulmumeen Omotosho
moomeentourshaw@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Ilorin Durbar: A Misplaced Priority In Ilorin? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 19, 2021
Who is stopping you from donating 5 million naira to 1000 people OP?
Re: Ilorin Durbar: A Misplaced Priority In Ilorin? by Darammliveth(m): 7:07pm On Jul 19, 2021
Ilorin is sold out!!!!!
Re: Ilorin Durbar: A Misplaced Priority In Ilorin? by istina: 7:38pm On Jul 19, 2021
Ilorin.... thw cradle of the Afonjas. Even if you bring them into the light they still will never see because the blindness is incurable.
Re: Ilorin Durbar: A Misplaced Priority In Ilorin? by LamidiCownu: 7:42pm On Jul 19, 2021
istina:
Ilorin.... thw cradle of the Afonjas. Even if you bring them into the light they still will never see because the blindness is incurable.
Osu shitgbo...Is your brain paining you ?
Re: Ilorin Durbar: A Misplaced Priority In Ilorin? by malcom1X: 8:46pm On Jul 19, 2021
I have donated 15 million for Durbar festival.

(1) (Reply)

Are Fulani Nigerians/ Fulani Land / Video: Hausa & Yoruba Okada Riders Clash In Ogun State; 7 Feared Killed / Kalu Bemoans PDP Leadership Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.