Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,707 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem (4959 Views)

Hybrid Cassava Stem (TME 419, Dangaria, Sanmi And Oko-iyawo) For Sale / TME 419 Cassava Stems Available In Ibadan. / Fresh TME Cassava Spieces Stems Available In large & Small Quantity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Ndidi29: 2:14pm On Jul 20, 2021
[color=#990000][/color] cool

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Ndidi29: 2:16pm On Jul 20, 2021
The essence of this thread is to carefully share knowledge on which cassava specie or variant is really tme 419....because many people have ignorantly bought cassava stems of other variant thinking that it is tme 419

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Ndidi29: 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2021
If you have tme 419 cassava variant...show it here starting from the leave so that many will be carefully instructed.....A prospective farmer or entrepreneur can be deceived to buy whatsoever cassava stem that is presented to him or her in the name of tme 419.....
Take note tme 419 has broader leaves than other variant.....and it rarely has branches

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Ndidi29: 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2021
Drop your comment here on tme 419...when i get to my farm by 1st week of August, i will snap everything about it and post it here....
If you want to add notes on how to identify tme 419 cassava stem .....please show us the leaf and then the full living stem as it stands ...because everyone claims to have it but after cultivating we see tiny tubers
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Ndidi29: 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2021
Please among these two ,which one is tme 419 cassava

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by kripen(m): 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2021
The one with red branch is not time 419

Tme 419 has whitich stem and branch.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Dawson126: 6:12pm On Jul 20, 2021
Ndidi29:
If you have tme 419 cassava variant...show it here starting from the leave so that many will be carefully instructed.....A prospective farmer or entrepreneur can be deceived to buy whatsoever cassava stem that is presented to him or her in the name of tme 419.....
Take note tme 419 has broader leaves than other variant.....and it rarely has branches

Some of my close pals take me to their farms to show me their TME 419 cassava fields, just to get there to be disappointed seeing their branched cassava stands. When you asked "are you sure this cassava na TME 419?" you'd begin to hear different stories, grin I just agree with them because me no like all those arguments grin
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Emempaul(m): 7:43am On Jul 21, 2021
Tme419 isn't a branching cassava, it instead has a tall stem sometimes reaching 8feet in length. It's stem is white at the onset of tuber formation and turnns grey once mature. I am .not impressed with it's yield upon all the hype. Infact I'll go for the older versions of hybrids like sanmi and baba dudu whose yield if given the same treatment as tme419 will make a farmer very very happy

I experimented with tme 419 for two years on an acre so I know what I'm talkinglk about

3 Likes

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Cidozs(m): 11:48am On Jul 21, 2021
What's the benefit of TME 419?
I REALLY WANNA LEARN

kripen:
The one with red branch is not time 419

Tme 419 has whitich stem and branch.
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Christistruth00: 12:04pm On Jul 21, 2021
Dawson126:

Some of my close pals take me to their farms to show me their TME 419 cassava fields, just to get there to be disappointed seeing their branched cassava stands. When you asked "are you sure this cassava na TME 419?" you'd begin to hear different stories, grin I just agree with them because me no like all those arguments grin

What are the properties of the 419 Cassava variety
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Ndruleshere: 8:55am On Sep 12, 2021
Maturity period is 6 months.
But in those 6 months, it requires the basic nutrient and especially water to do well and produce maximally.
A lot of large scale farmers don't give their plants these nutrient but expect miracles.
Christistruth00:

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Dawson126: 8:47pm On Sep 15, 2021
Christistruth00:

I remembered this post today as I was walking through an old cassava field. Although the cassava planted by the person are multivariate
(many varieties) but I sighted like two stands of TME 419. I will post the pictures here tomorrow as long as I remember to do this. And I think you will be able to judge its performance compared to others while not be cared for at all and under zero tillage.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by christistruth01: 1:17pm On Sep 16, 2021
Dawson126:

I remembered this post today as I was walking through an old cassava field. Although the cassava planted by the person are multivariate
(many varieties) but I sighted like two stands of TME 419. I will post the pictures here tomorrow as long as I remember to do this. And I think you will be able to judge its performance compared to others while not be cared for at all and under zero tillage.
.Thank you so very much
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Leykars: 3:54pm On Sep 16, 2021
Dawson126:

Still waiting patiently
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Dawson126: 10:27pm On Sep 17, 2021
TME 419. How do I identify it? Frankly speaking it could be very tricky to identify a variety of crop from others of the same kind even by experts who develop these varieties. It will take a kind of genetic investigation. It is just like trying to differentiate near identical twins of same sex at first hand. It will surely take time and close observation and guidance from their parents especially the mother to pass you when you say this is the first, when it is the second and vice versa.

Spot identification could just be expressed in terms of accuracy, say 60-100%. Therefore, whatever I put here is still subjected to some level of error as dictated by knowledge and innovation advancements in plant breeding.

Characterisation of TME 419 (I will post pictures to buttress the explanations)

1.Height
It could usually attain a relative high height compared to other varieties but the earliest TMS too are usually high, so is that a base? I will buttress more

2. Branching
TME 419 does branch but this is not common and not too rear. Usually the branches don't pass more than 2 and uncommonly 3 but all usually originate from inside the soil or heap. Those of the earliest TMS could pass more than 2 and as much as 6 and all also originate from the soil or heap. Also, there could be branching, usually 2 at the top of TME 419, this is usually short and uncommon.

3. Stem cuttings
Because of its unusual branching habit, mature stem cuttings are usually robust compared relatively to other cassava varieties of same age. Close to this is TMS 4(2) 1425 but it is not as big as TME 419. It stems are usually slender and at maturity not larger than indigenous varieties.

4. Internodes of stem cuttings
What is internode? The space between two successive ( leaf that follows the next available one) leaf node (point where leaf attachs to the stem). This is usually not too close in TME 419 and not too far, not more than 5-10cm apart. Close to this is TMS 4(2) 1425 but it is slender.

Colour of stem (transcribes to stem cuttings)
You see, TME 419 was based on efficient use of sun energy to make starch, therefore is it highly greenish (plants use chlorophyll which is green in colour to make sugars which becomes starch after some storage of some sugars). If you look at the stem, the colour usually range from creamy ash to creamy bluish green, if you peel this slightly, with low effort, you will see a layer of well greenish part. This is why this is used to estimate the duration of stay of stem cuttings before planting as the colour quality drops as it stay longer on ground. This is also present in TMS 96/023 (thereabouts). What difference?

5. Leaf colour
(A) Young leaves (emergence leaves)
I. Colour: Due to low anthocyanin (purplish) content, the young leaves are usually greenish and not the conventional brownish purple. This is also present in TMS 96/023, TMS 4(2)1425, TMS 98/0510. Let's differenciate.
TMS 98/0510's young leaves are not usually greenish but greener than other varieties apart from above. So you arrange it in increasing order of greeness. Yeah that's it
Other varieties - TMS 98/0510-TMS 4(2) 1425- TMS 96/023 - TME 419

(B) Mature leaves
Colour: very green and near ruby green. Also seen in the above TMS(es) outlined in the above explanation and not in so you arrange it.

(C) Leaf petiole (that long part at the end of the leaves that connect the leaves together with the stem) yeah, you got it?
TME 419's petiole is green. TMS 98/0510 is also green but more space between internodes (I explained above) and young leaves not as green as TME 419's, while that (petiole) of TMS 96/023 is somewhat red towards the leaves end and green towards the stem part

I'm damn tired now from field work and moreover by battery is draining but I'll try post pictures to buttress the explanations although with brief note attached, that's if they load.

To be continued next time..........
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Ndidi29: 11:08pm On Sep 17, 2021
thank you so much for the exposition on tme419...
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Dawson126: 10:49am On Sep 18, 2021
TME 419 root branching

1 Share

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Dawson126: 10:50am On Sep 18, 2021
Stem

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Dawson126: 10:52am On Sep 18, 2021
See the green layer

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Dawson126: 10:54am On Sep 18, 2021
Compare the thickness of the green layer with that of this TMS

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Dawson126: 10:57am On Sep 18, 2021
I will post more pics for clarification as time permits me.

To be continued later.......

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by Obere4u: 10:41pm On May 26, 2022
Waiting
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by collinsnoble(m): 11:21pm On Oct 15, 2022
I wanna know too
Re: How To Identify Tme 419 Cassava Stem by excanny: 8:08am On Jan 02
Please who has this TME 419 in ogun state? I need it

(1) (Reply)

Alas! The Biggest Cow In Ibadan As At Today. / 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode / Mushroom Spawn/seed At Affordable Price.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.