Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode (5305 Views)

4000 Healthy Old Layer Birds For Sale At A Sweet Price. / Help: Have Been Feeding Layer Birds For 4 Weeks Now No Single Egg / Dont Be Fooled, Here Is A Practical Cost Analysis Of Raising 100 Layer Birds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 12:09pm On Jan 03
Happy New Year

It's that time of the year where I'm usually less preoccupied with work activities in the city. Well, I did do some Broilers raising for the festive period to save myself from the drama that occurred during those periods where some sold Broilers for as high as 20k shocked. (E shoke). I just imagine someone like me who slaughters nothing less than 15 birds (for families, friends inclusive)... grin grin.
I no blame farmers anyways, bags of feeds were between 12k to 14k on the average. Sometimes, I wonder how these new farmers breakeven, especially those who don't know the tricks we employ to cut down production costs.

Sorry for the too much talks jare.... Now back to the reason for creating this thread.

How the Inspiration came. . .
Just last week, I was at Ijora trying to board a bus going Gombe. Suddenly, this hunger came from nowhere and i had to look for the nearest mama put to settle scores. On reaching there, the following ensued:

Me: Help me put Rice N700, beans N100, Spag N200...
Mama put: Meat nko?
Me: Pomo dey?
Mama put: Yes! N100 per one. Egg and Fish dey too.
Me: Okay put 4 Pomo. Then 1 egg. Then use the remaining 50naira give me purewater.
Mama put: Egg na 200naira sir.

Me: Egg na Gini? Abeg remove the egg.

... and that was where the Inspiration came from. Why don't I just raise my birds for myself and ofcos, sell some?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 12:25pm On Jan 03
...instantly, when I got back. I called my contact to supply me 400 pieces of birds.

Prices as at Yesterday
400 pieces of CHI Layer chicks gotten @560
i.e 400 x 560 = N224,000

(For Clarity sake, CHI brand of Layers are the ISA Brown layer strain...Prolific laying birds and most common in Nigeria)

Drugs Gotten so far
1. Doxy gen 20/20 = N7,800
How this drug got to N7,800 still dey shock me. I was stunned. But i don't ever compromise.

2. Tylo Dox = N5,500
This one sef shock me small.

3. Superliv 1litre = N6,500

4. Glucose = N800
5. Vitaminolyte = N2,000

6. Polidine 1litre = N6,400
This one nearly break my back. When Polidine skyrocket reach this price? Nawa ooo.

AND SO THE EPISODE BEGINS...

6 Likes

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by Fembleez1(m): 1:05pm On Jan 03
Great Job OP. I will follow your thread to learn. Please kindly bless us with pictures at intervals.
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 2:19pm On Jan 03
As requested...

Let's get the pictures rolling... cool

4 Likes

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 2:31pm On Jan 03
Day One 3rd Jan, 2024

Okies... Got the Birds yesterday but my first day official begins today. So let's get rolling...

Criticism are highly welcomed grin angry tongue

First Day activities
Nothing New here... same old procedure.
Added like 5grams of the Glucose in the 4litre drinker. And also about 5 grams of the multivitamins into it, stirred very well, then shared equally into all the available drinkers placed in the makeshift brooding house.

Step 2.
Opened up there cartons and started counting, checking for any defects before dipping their beaks in the Glucose/Multivitamin solution.

I swear, counting 400 birds was as boring and tiring as he.ll.

Note At this point, I am yet to introduce their feeders. This will be done about 30mins later.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 2:32pm On Jan 03
In total, about 405 birds were recorded. 5 extra jare only angry angry (was expecting more sha)

1 Like

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 2:42pm On Jan 03
Episode 1. Ends...

Please Note: I am trying to quickly prepare another spacious room for them. My brain was slow to comprehend that 400 birds was going to fit in comfortably into this enclosure. undecided tongue
And because of the space limitations, I had to reduce the drinkers to just 3 just for the period of shortcomings... angry.

And by the way; NO MORTALITY THUS FAR.

1 Like

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 2:46pm On Jan 03
Episode 1. Ends...

So we wait till tomorrow. And least 1 forget, my choice of feed is New Hope 320 super starter. Price gotten: N13,200.

4 Likes

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by Jofez: 9:59pm On Jan 03
Well done. Are you using tylodox and doxygen together from day 2? If yes, you need to stop oo. That's a combination of 3 strong antibiotics; tylosin, doxycycline( present in both) then gentamycin which the birds may not even respond to,secondly the drugs are too strong for them. Tell your supplier to ask Chi what antibiotic will the chicks respond to quickly. Btw, you made a good choice of feed (new hope 320) you'll definitely enjoy the laying period (all things being equal). A good start is very important in layer production

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by SoftHeart(m): 9:05am On Jan 04
I look forward to learning more about raising ISA Brown chicks from day old on this thread.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 10:33am On Jan 04
Day Two

Zero mortality... (Number of Birds: 405)

Everything seems fine. The little rascals are agile and running around like roaches angry.
All left over water in drinkers disposed off and washed. Their feeder was carefully looked at to remove poops and topped up.

Drugs Administered
This time around, Only the TyloDox and Multivitamins will be continued to Day 5.

Someone did ask why i ain't using any means of heating? . Frankly speaking (Abi na typing), I can't remember when last I used any hear source in brooding. The temperature here for Lagos na die. Even me wey dey sweat profusely every night like say local bakery dey beside my window.
The thing is, the logic is simple. You don't have to apply or introduce any other source of hit if the temperature is just right. 30 to 35°c is okay is just perfect by me. Even my house dey hot pass like this some crazy nights.

Moreover, looking at the chicks says it all. Even distribution of the Birds shows temperature is perfect!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 10:36am On Jan 04
Jofez:
Well done. Are you using tylodox and doxygen together from day 2? If yes, you need to stop oo. That's a combination of 3 strong antibiotics; tylosin, doxycycline( present in both) then gentamycin which the birds may not even respond to,secondly the drugs are too strong for them. Tell your supplier to ask Chi what antibiotic will the chicks respond to quickly. Btw, you made a good choice of feed (new hope 320) you'll definitely enjoy the laying period (all things being equal). A good start is very important in layer production

You are absolutely right.
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 10:40am On Jan 04
Yea, it is also right for me to point this out. I will installing an mp3 player just beside the brooder room to make the chicks accustomed to noise. Making them get use to noise also helps in the long run.

1 Like

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 2:02pm On Jan 04
God is ya strength
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 8:39pm On Jan 06
Day 3 & 4 Zero Mortality

Well, nothing as changed so far. Use of Tylodox and Multivitamins continues. We are approaching the half bag mark. So far, so good.
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 8:48pm On Jan 06
RainMoreDFARMS:
God is ya strength

Amen & thanks
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by okoroemeka(m): 9:56pm On Jan 06
jidestroud:

Amen & thanks
is not the use of tylodox enough for 3 days?these are pullets not broilers,why not switch to ordinary water for some days then multivitamins,those birds are more stronger than broilers the one major cause of heartbreaking mortality in young pullets is gumboro disease,very deadly,pls vaccinate regularly,
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by 1TrippleCee: 8:32am On Jan 07
jidestroud:
As requested...

Let's get the pictures rolling... cool

All these fake 800 Naira antibiotics. Nothing like organic treatments
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 8:39am On Jan 07
Day 5 Zero Mortality

Last Day to administer the Antibiotics & Multivitamins (Tylodox and Vitaminolyte in my case). Every thing still on track and well. I can see more feathers coming forth on the little chicks.

2 Likes

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 8:46am On Jan 07
okoroemeka:
is not the use of tylodox enough for 3 days?these are pullets not broilers,why not switch to ordinary water for some days then multivitamins,those birds are more stronger than broilers the one major cause of heartbreaking mortality in young pullets is gumboro disease,very deadly,pls vaccinate regularly,
Thanks for the observation. I'm using a variation chart of Amo's Farms. Moreover, administering Antibiotics from Day 2 to Day 5 is very well acceptable in pullets brooding.

1 Like

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 8:47am On Jan 07
1TrippleCee:

All these fake 800 Naira antibiotics. Nothing like organic treatments
Thanks for your observation.

1 Like

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by 1TrippleCee: 8:49am On Jan 07
jidestroud:

Thanks for your observation.

You have adequate technical knowledge to be an instituition. When will these rxperiments end ? When will you take up a few product ideas and establish a big factory out of it. Isnt this better than experimenting here and there year after year?
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 9:25am On Jan 07
Like I earlier mentioned, I doubted the place would hold 400 chicks in a week's time. I Was able to move 100 chicks to a refuge camp pending their brooder room will be ready. grin.

(Such a tasking Sunday... cry )

2 Likes

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 9:36am On Jan 07
1TrippleCee:

You have adequate technical knowledge to be an instituition. When will these rxperiments end ? When will you take up a few product ideas and establish a big factory out of it. Isnt this better than experimenting here and there year after year?
Hmmm... thought provoking criticism. Point well noted. Thanks for the observation.
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by foxzzy(m): 10:51am On Jan 07
As a beginner, between broilers and layers, which one is advisable to start with?
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by goddycrypto(m): 1:00pm On Jan 07
May Jehovah blessings be upon you, for sharing this great piece, i am following you religiously 👍💪

2 Likes

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by Kehfie(f): 2:50pm On Jan 07
Hmmm @jidestroud, I honestly would have preferred an outright "sorry I cannot help you with contacts for the things you asked for" rather than that rigmarole you took me through. Peace.
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 7:19pm On Jan 07
Kehfie:
Hmmm @jidestroud, I honestly would have preferred an outright "sorry I cannot help you with contacts for the things you asked for" rather than that rigmarole you took me through. Peace.
Haaaaaaaa....
No naaaaaaaa!!! My since apologies. Pls get across across to me on my telegram contact. I am fully on ground now and within that axis.
Pls do get across.
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 7:23pm On Jan 07
foxzzy:
As a beginner, between broilers and layers, which one is advisable to start with?

My personal opinion if you asked me would be Broilers. Trust me, with layers, it could get boring and tiring after awhile. Broilers gives immediate results which further encourages you.
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 10:10am On Jan 08
Day 6 Zero Mortality...

Stopped the Antibiotics but continued with the multivitamins (Vitaminolyte in my case). Prepping them for their first vaccination in two days time.

Everything looked fine and the birds are doing just fantabulous. More and more true feathers are visible now.

3 Likes

Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by jidestroud(m): 10:27am On Jan 08
... other activities for the day includes; cleaning up their brooder room to reduce the amount of poop which could lead to ammonia gas build-up.
Moreover, I should be visiting Alaba International Market to see if i can get a digital scale to help monitor growth.
Re: 400 Layer Birds Start-up Episode by braindee(m): 8:39pm On Jan 08
Well done, bros. I've bookmarked this thread. Please, I just bought 4 layers so that I can be eating eggs and sell any excess. What's the best feed for them? Where can I get this feed in Mile 12, Lagos axis?
jidestroud:
... other activities for the day includes; cleaning up their brooder room to reduce the amount of poop which could lead to ammonia gas build-up.
Moreover, I should be visiting Alaba International Market to see if i can get a digital scale to help monitor growth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Commissions Its Largest Rice Mill / How I Made My First Million... Are You Struggling Like Me, Read This / Drip Irrigation/Rain Guns For Your Farmland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.