Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,556 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

I Am From East Africa! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am From East Africa! (3595 Views)

The Man From East / Somalia Picks Miss East Africa Representative / Tiv People Are People From East African Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am From East Africa! by abu07(m): 7:47am On May 13, 2011
Hi iam from east africa And i am here to learn more about west African culture, The food, what's the official language you all speak? I am here to learn so please if you don't wanna help don't mind answer this post, thanks.
Re: I Am From East Africa! by InkedNerd(f): 6:20am On May 15, 2011
Hi abu07. Nice to meet you. Where in East Africa are you from? smiley
Re: I Am From East Africa! by abu07(m): 4:19pm On Jun 06, 2011
somali
Re: I Am From East Africa! by InkedNerd(f): 5:49pm On Jun 06, 2011
Cool, there are other Somali's here. . . Ya just gotta look for them wink
Re: I Am From East Africa! by Nayah(f): 8:15pm On Jun 06, 2011
Good really like this kind of exchange between brothers, West Africa is quite wide and diverse I'm from Cameroon from central Africa but for my west africain brothers we are from West Africa lol , we can already see the difficult geographic delimitation of this region. Anyway for me West Africa can be divided between "Sahelians"( Niger, Mali, Senegal, Mauritania, Guinea (both), Burkina Faso, Sierra Leone) and People non Sahelian mix of Bantu people and others (Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Togo, Benin, which have also sahelian people generally in the North but not as the previous countries).

As for culture we can divided this as below, but a thing is that this region has a huge and rich culture in terms of food( rice the most of time, plantains, )
Re: I Am From East Africa! by emofine(f): 7:08am On Jun 08, 2011
abu07:

Hi iam from east africa And i am here to learn more about west African culture, The food, what's the official language you all speak? I am here to learn so please if you don't wanna help don't mind answer this post, thanks.

hey welcome abu07  smiley

West Africa doesn't have a uniform culture even though there are a few similarities. West Africans do not have a single official language - our region is very diverse so I guess in order to facitilate your research you may want to study a few or a particular country in the region. If you want to find out more about one particular country then in order to have a decent sample I suggest you pick a Sahelian country coupled with a Coastal one and probably a few with different official languages.
However rice is a staple in all West African countries.
Re: I Am From East Africa! by pleep(m): 7:11am On Jun 20, 2011
abu07:

Somali
Yea Nairaland has a very vibrant Somali community  grin. Somalilife, sara24, and african1 are some that i can think of. We've got some pretty good conversations going in the Racism tribalism sectarianism  section.

Probably the most famous west African ethnic group is the Hausa. Their language is used all over W. Africa and the Sahel, some of them even live in Sudan. The Hausa are predominately Islamic and usually very hard-core Muslims. In Nigeria they are paired up with the Fulani who typically herd cattle, in the Northern part of the country.

In the South you have the majority Igbo in the East who are christian and extremely business oriented and they Know how to make money legitimately or illegitimately  tongue . And in the west you have the Yoruba who are half christian half Muslim. There lots of other minority groups throughout the country but those are the main ones.

The official language is English in Nigeria but French in all the neighboring countries, and every country is west Africa either speaks French or English. And we all eat basicaly the same types of food. ( which i must admitt is not the best lol)
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:23am On Jun 20, 2011
pleep:

Yea Nairaland has a very vibrant Somali community  grin. Somalilife, sara24, and african1 are some that i can think of. We've got some pretty good conversations going in the Racism tribalism sectarianism  section.

Probably the most famous west African ethnic group is the Hausa. Their language is used all over W. Africa and the Sahel, some of them even live in Sudan. The Hausa are predominately Islamic and usually very hard-core Muslims. In Nigeria they are paired up with the Fulani who typically herd cattle, in the Northern part of the country.
In the South you have the majority Igbo in the East who are christian and extremely business oriented and they Know how to make money legitimately or illegitimately  tongue . And in the west you have the Yoruba who are half christian half Muslim. There lots of other minority groups throughout the country but those are the main ones.

The official language is English in Nigeria but French in all the neighboring countries, and every country is west Africa either speaks French or English. And we all eat basicaly the same types of food. ( which i must admitt is not the best lol)

yeaahhhh.Hausas r the best. lol jus kid, we all gud sha.  i am Hausa, but ofcourse non-muslim.   grin
Re: I Am From East Africa! by priya899: 12:44pm On Jun 20, 2011
hi,

The East African Community (EAC) consists only of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda; both Burundi and Rwanda are sometimes considered a part of Central Africa.

rgds,
priya

Vastu |Monthly Forecast| Website development delhi | Ad Agency in Delhi
Re: I Am From East Africa! by firestar(f): 7:47pm On Jun 20, 2011
Welcome! wink smiley cheesy grin cool

Tell us more about Somali.

Where I come from, {Nigeria} we are bombarded with culture so vast it's comparable to a beautiful mosiac. grin
The fun part is, more pieces can be added!
So again I welcome you my brother. cool
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:55am On Jun 21, 2011
Somalia is a beautiful country made entirely out of guns and camels and infested with Captain Jack Sparrow's crew. cool
Re: I Am From East Africa! by Araboy(m): 2:08am On Jun 23, 2011
West Africa is a community of 16 countries With the exception of Mauritania all the others 15 African countries are members of the Ecowas (The Economic community of west African states ) or CEDEAO ( La communaute Economique des Etats d Afrique de l ouest )
5 are English speaking          ( Gambia  Ghana   Liberia  Nigeria   Sierra leone  )
2 are Portuguese speaking    (Cape verde     Guinea Bissau )
8 are French speaking          (  Senegal   Mali   Togo   Benin   Cote d Ivoire    Niger   Guinea     Burkina Faso )

1 is Arabic speaking              ( Mauritania also member of the Arab Maghreb Union with Algeria Libya Morocco Tunisia )

Also despite the variety of cultures in west Africa there are general similarities in dress music and cuisine
Islam is the predominant historical religion in west Africa while Christianity is widely present in central and southern Nigeria and Ghana 
The predominant tribes in west Africa are Hausa and Fulani  followed by the Bambara (Mandingo)
Re: I Am From East Africa! by african1(f): 4:32am On Jun 26, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

Somalia is a beautiful country made entirely out of guns and camels and infested with Captain Jack Sparrow's crew. cool

Lol at Jack Sparrow's crew. Tell me this tho, when was the last time someone said anything bad about the Pirates of the Carribean? wink
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:39am On Jun 26, 2011
hehe true.  grin grin
Re: I Am From East Africa! by member3(m): 2:13am On Jun 27, 2011
i am Hausa, but ofcourse non-muslim
stop claiming hausa man. most hausa are muslim not pagan. if u dont fit in the domiant group then stop claiming them just because u speak the language. u dont c AA's saying they are white because they speak english. u r maguzuwa simple. leave hausa to muslims
Re: I Am From East Africa! by pleep(m): 2:33am On Jun 27, 2011
Re: I Am From East Africa! by member3(m): 4:57am On Jun 27, 2011
what makes you think i am a Hausa?
Re: I Am From East Africa! by pleep(m): 5:02am On Jun 27, 2011
Oh, I just assumed you were lol. So were r u from Yemen?
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:59am On Jun 27, 2011
عبدالكريم:

stop claiming hausa man. most hausa are muslim not pagan. if u dont fit in the domiant group then stop claiming them just because u speak the language. u dont c AA's saying they are white because they speak english. u r maguzuwa simple. leave hausa to muslims

I AM HAUSA. Hausa doesnt mean muslim even if most r muslim. angry angry angry angry

atleast im not an arab wannabe lyk u disgusting shameless aljimaris. angry angry tongue tongue
Re: I Am From East Africa! by african1(f): 11:47pm On Jun 27, 2011
Who are you to tell Pagan who he is and who he is not? Your not his mother. tongue
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:21am On Jun 28, 2011
he reminds me of this fella called IG who kips tryin to prov im aa Berber or a Touareg.  tongue tongue

dem ppls think they r my mom. angry

i must say im sick of this over-maternal affection. angry angry
Re: I Am From East Africa! by african1(f): 8:30am On Jun 28, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

he reminds me of this fella called IG who kips tryin to prov im aa Berber or a Touareg. tongue tongue

dem ppls think they r my mom. angry

i must say im sick of this over-maternal affection. angry angry

Ofcourse your sick of it, it is not very attractive. Lol I seriously don't know what he wants from you. Maybe he has a weird secret fetish obsession with you. Lol wink
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:59am On Jun 28, 2011
then he must go play with a doll. angry
Re: I Am From East Africa! by african1(f): 9:29am On Jun 28, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

then he must go play with a doll. angry

Lol You mean like an African voodoo and such?
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:10am On Jun 28, 2011
no no no. thats sacrilege!!!!! shocked shocked

i meant lyk sum s** toy or sumthin, cuz he seems to hav a fetish. undecided
Re: I Am From East Africa! by member3(m): 3:02pm On Jun 28, 2011
wow now your talkin about fetishes. I just hate for weirdos to claim hausa when they are majority Muslim and you are trying to make up a group called pagan-hausa. You might as well go to the klu klux klan and say that you are a black klansman.
Re: I Am From East Africa! by african1(f): 5:51pm On Jun 28, 2011
[/quote][quote author=PAGAN 9JA link=topic=666266.msg8606082#msg8606082 date=1309255809]
no no no. thats sacrilege!!!!! shocked shocked

i meant lyk sum s** toy or sumthin, cuz he seems to hav a fetish. undecided

Oh! Lol Damn, but you know it might help shocked
Re: I Am From East Africa! by pleep(m): 7:36pm On Jun 28, 2011
I think pagan9ja is Somali.
Re: I Am From East Africa! by african1(f): 8:08pm On Jun 28, 2011
^^^^^ Lol How
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:31pm On Jun 28, 2011
pleep:

I think pagan9ja is Somali.

my my. first white man, den arab, den berber/touareg, now somali!!!  shocked shocked shocked shocked

wat nxt chinese tongue
Re: I Am From East Africa! by african1(f): 9:42pm On Jun 28, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

my my. first white man, den arab, den berber/touareg, now somali!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

wat nxt chinese tongue

Dont say that like it is a bad thing tongue tongue tongue
Re: I Am From East Africa! by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:08pm On Jun 28, 2011
u mean d italics makes it luk bad??  i thought twas meant 2 add an element of stress. cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

"smoking Igbo" / Black Men Are Weak And White Men Are Powerful / How To Say "happy Birthday" And "i Love You" In Ishan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.