Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October (912 Views)

Niger State Willing To Pilot FG's 500,000-Hectare Agriculture Project / LASG Debunks Rumour That Hospital Did Not Attend To Pilot Of Crashed Helicopter / INEC To Pilot E-Voting In 2021, Seeks Cancellation Of Bye-Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by victorix(m): 10:48am On Jul 23, 2021

The Central Bank of Nigeria will start the pilot of its central bank digital currency, which runs on the Hyperledger Fabric blockchain, on October 1.

Nigeria to pilot central bank digital currency in OctoberNEWS
For much of 2021, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has been in the headlines for its anti-cryptocurrency measures. Yet, the institution has this week redoubled its investment and research into crypto’s underlying technology, blockchain, and has set a clear date for the pilot scheme of its blockchain-powered central bank digital currency (CBDC).

On October 1, CBN will reportedly launch a pilot scheme for “GIANT” – a CBDC project in development since 2017, which runs on the open-source blockchain Hyperledger Fabric.

Rakiya Mohammed, CBN’s information technology director, said the bank might conduct a proof-of-concept before the end of 2021. In a webinar this week with stakeholders, CBN representatives reportedly emphasized that the institution could not afford to be left behind while the vast majority of central banks worldwide make headway with their own CBDC research and development.

Among the motivations cited for the project, CBN has noted that a CBDC would be beneficial for macro and growth management, cross-border trade support, and financial inclusion.

Potential benefits could still extend further, in CBN’s view, ranging from higher efficiency for payments and remittances, better monetary policy transmission, improved tax revenue collection, and the facilitation of targeted social policies.

Alongside CBN, the Bank of Ghana has this summer been moving rapidly towards the pilot stage for its own central bank digital currency. The country has positioned itself as a pioneer in CBDC development on the continent and considers central bank-issued digital currencies to be superior to and less risky than decentralized cryptocurrencies.

However, Ghana’s wariness of crypto is overshadowed by Nigeria’s more aggressive measures, which include a ban on commercial banks and other financial institutions from servicing crypto exchanges. Despite this, Bitcoin adoption and BTC peer-to-peer trades have remained high in the country

What are your thoughts on this development?

Source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/nigeria-to-pilot-central-bank-digital-currency-in-october

Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by Heartbender: 10:51am On Jul 23, 2021
So since 2017 they have been mining free? grin

Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by Hezzyluv: 10:53am On Jul 23, 2021
But why did u guys band cryto currencies b4
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by victorix(m): 10:55am On Jul 23, 2021
Central bank controlled digital currency = centralization. In crypto, we aim for a decentralized currency void of total control of any organization. In a broader view, this is a win for cryptocurrency. It'll definitely lead to more adoption and getting people introduced to blockchain tecnology.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by Beloved247: 11:01am On Jul 23, 2021
Wow, that's nice
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by kayuseful: 11:09am On Jul 23, 2021
So it's not crypto that's evil that made them ban it. They want Something their govt can control
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by velocity25(m): 11:24am On Jul 23, 2021
When will this one fly? I swear Buhari government na yahoo yahoo yahoo

Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by FarahAideed: 11:24am On Jul 23, 2021
Buy at your own peril
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by Powersurge: 11:25am On Jul 23, 2021
Smiling. Caricature.

It is not crypto if it's centralized and a key is handed over to someone.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 23, 2021
419COIN

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by FarahAideed: 11:25am On Jul 23, 2021
victorix:
Central bank controlled digital currency = centralization. In crypto, we aim for a decentralized currency void of total control of any organization. In a broader view, this is a win for cryptocurrency. It'll definitely lead to more adoption and getting people introduced to blockchain tecnology.

There is nothing decentralized about any crypto ...open your eyes man and stop being gullibled by danced terms cheesy
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by AntiBMC(m): 11:28am On Jul 23, 2021
So at the end of the day, they really wanted to be able to control crypto, that was why they banned it.

I just feel sorry for whoever would invest in it.
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by victorix(m): 11:41am On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

There is nothing decentralized about any crypto ...open your eyes man and stop being gullibled by danced terms cheesy

I would appreciate it if you could support your statement with facts.
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by FarahAideed: 11:43am On Jul 23, 2021
victorix:

I would appreciate it if you could support your statement with facts.

The facts surrounds you but since you can't see then enjoy ... Decentralized indeed cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by victorix(m): 11:43am On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:
Buy at your own peril

I'm sure you'll partake if they did an airdrop.
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by victorix(m): 11:44am On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

The facts surrounds you but since you can't see then enjoy ... Decentralized indeed cheesy cheesy

Well, if you could just point me in the right direction, you don't know, you might just be educating someone.
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by FarahAideed: 11:49am On Jul 23, 2021
victorix:

I'm sure you'll partake if they did an airdrop.

I don't partake in airdrops..I am not a sheep
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by victorix(m): 11:55am On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

I don't partake in airdrops..I am not a sheep

Well, it's not only shitcoins that gets airdropped. If you've gone deep into this crypto stuff, you'll know what I meant. Uniswap, the largest decentralized exchange on Ethereum did an airdrop when they launched their DeFi token for liquidity providers. Personally, this year, I've gotten over $2000 from airdrops alone. And I don't mean shitcoins or those where they'll ask people do to taskes on Twitter or telegram. Most shitcoins airdrops has no value or liquidity so you can't really swap or make a trade with them.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by KaluwisxPRO: 1:55pm On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

Crypto is decentralized, Not untraceable. that’s two different things you need to educate yourself on.
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by YorubaKinging: 1:59pm On Jul 23, 2021
The end is near

Great news

Anything to hasten the second coming of my Lord is a welcome development

One world digital currency loading
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by FarahAideed: 2:00pm On Jul 23, 2021
KaluwisxPRO:

Crypto is decentralized, Not untraceable. that’s two different things you need to educate yourself on.

When all the ledgers and contracts are open yet you say it's not traceable ? You people just love bogus terms and are blind to the fact ...there nothing that is done any electronic device that's not traceable ..ask all the hackers that callected Ransom on crypto how quick they were arrested
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by KaluwisxPRO: 2:04pm On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

When all the ledgers and contracts are open yet you say it's not traceable ? You people just love bogus terms and are blind to the fact ...there nothing that is done any electronic device that's not traceable ..ask all the hackers that callected Ransom on crypto how quick they were arrested

Do you even understand English See how you’re embarrassing yourself.

Decentralized does not make it untraceable, It simply means it has no central control, no one has openely said crypto is not traceable, what everyone who has invested in crypto is saying is, it is not controlled by anyone, institutions, or government.

On Defi (Decentralized Finance), you can take loans from pool of funds gathered together by Other crypto investors, at a rate calculated by blockchain technology on number of borrowers and lenders as well as market value of the borrowed assets. There’s no bank in between or agreement, everything is done on the technology. That is an example of decentralization, where you do not need to deal with a bank before you get a loan or be told what your interest are by the government against your mortgage.

The investors, you and me pooling the funds together, controls the rate, not the institutions.

Wow, dude. You need to STFU if you don’t know what you’re against. ignoramus, how can blockchain transaction be secret when everything is on an open ledger from the beginning of the technology??
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by FarahAideed: 2:13pm On Jul 23, 2021
KaluwisxPRO:

Do you even understand English See how you’re embarrassing yourself.

One thing about you crypto sheep is that you think you know what you are doing but you don't ...Keep dashing little Ukrainians and romanians your small money to buy Lambos and Ferraris ...Y'all are just sheep being scammed silly by smart kids somewhere ... Ask yourself you have been doing this crypto to thing for a while how come all you can show is numbers on a screen and empty pocket ? cheesy...Abeg open your eyes ...last year people like you were saying Crypto was a hedge against inflation cheesy cheesy and when people like me told y'all the truth you called me ignorant .now you are talking about some imaginary decentralization cheesy cheesy and invisibility cheesy cheesy cheesy... Oga if you are not the creator of a coin ,you are the maga in this grand ponzi scheme
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by KaluwisxPRO: 2:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

One thing about you crypto sheep is that you think you know what you are doing but you don't ...Keep dashing little Ukrainians and romanians your small money to buy Lambos and Ferraris ...Y'all are just sheep being scammed silly by smart kids somewhere ... Ask yourself you have been doing this crypto to thing for a while how come all you can show is numbers on a screen and empty pocket ? cheesy...Abeg open your eyes ...last year people like you were saying Crypto was a hedge against inflation cheesy cheesy and when people like me told y'all the truth you called me ignorant .now you are talking about some imaginary decentralization cheesy cheesy and invisibility cheesy cheesy cheesy... Oga if you are not the creator of a coin ,you are the maga in this grand ponzi scheme

Since you just realized you’ve said a whole bunch of rubbish, you got nothing else than gibberish to spill. Continue with your ignorance, your government has already embraced Blockchain in your face while you call the technology a scam. Who’s the f00l..?
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by FarahAideed: 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2021
KaluwisxPRO:

Since you just realized you’ve said a whole bunch of rubbish, you got nothing else than gibberish to spill. Continue with your ignorance, your government has already embraced Blockchain in your face while you call the technology a scam. Who’s the f00l..?

Govt saw how you guy dashed Romanian scammers almost 30 billion dollars in a year and they are now interested in milking you ...Money in circulation is already 70 percent digital numbers so ask yourself what digital currency your criminal govt is cooking? cheesy..na to milk U again ...Neatest ponzi scheme ever and you are the sheep
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by obi4eze(m): 2:41pm On Jul 23, 2021
The same people that banned cryptocurrency transactions
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by KaluwisxPRO: 2:48pm On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

Govt saw how you guy dashed Romanian scammers almost 30 billion dollars in a year and they are now interested in milking you ...Money in circulation is already 70 percent digital numbers so ask yourself what digital currency your criminal govt is cooking? cheesy..na to milk U again ...Neatest ponzi scheme ever and you are the sheep

Cry all you want, Ignorance from people like you is the reason why everyone is a ritualistis or yahoo boy in your eyes.

Na Wetin you no know your mate take pass you, continue to deathrow anyhow wey you want. Na your life, nobody go hold you make hunger no kpai you Las Las
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by isaacsegun(m): 5:25pm On Jul 23, 2021
FarahAideed:

See as you are disgracing your ancestors on public forum grin
Re: Nigeria To Pilot Central Bank Digital Currency In October by FarahAideed: 5:27pm On Jul 23, 2021
isaacsegun:

See as you are disgracing your ancestors on public forum grin

Abeg park well... go look numbers and leave me alone

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: NDLEA Recovers 35 Wraps Of Cocaine From Woman’s Underwear / Throwback Of Alhaji Shehu Shagari Campaign Poster In1983-photo / "Let Your Pressure Go Higher" - FFK Replies Critics On Pantami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.