Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,333 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! (3448 Views)

Ex-NNPC ED, Alex Ogedengbe Doubts Port Harcourt Refinery Will Work This December / 2023: It's Going To Be Another Kiriji War / MURIC: A Terrorists Group? By Bishop Steven Ogedengbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by favor914: 6:01pm On Jul 24, 2021
SlyDev:
The rifles did wonders in the olden days. But OP IBADAN was fighting war on five sides not only Ekiti and Ijesha. Ife, ijebu and even ilorin were on Ekiti and Ijesha side.
Their ancestors fought for them to be independent, their naive children want to go back to their vomits shouting Oduduwa? I hope ignorant people shouting Oduduwa read this & understand the real enemy is within, not no Hausa Fulani, people who only took advantage of the divisions, know yourself first, no one is ready for another 100 years war & the rest will follow.
Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by nisai: 6:24pm On Jul 24, 2021
favor914:
Their ancestors fought for them to be independent, their naive children want to go back to their vomits shouting Oduduwa? I hope ignorant people shouting Oduduwa read this & understand the real enemy is within, not no Hausa Fulani, people who only took advantage of the divisions, know yourself first, no one is ready for another 100 years war & the rest will follow.
Stop being paranoid for nothing. No crime in self determination and not all Yorubas want out of Nigeria. At the end of the day, referendum, by which every Yoruba will express his/her choice through his/her single vote, will determine our fate. Majority wins the election and minority follow.

Nigeria will do well with or without the Yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by Christistruth00: 9:13pm On Jul 24, 2021
Ogendengbe invaded the Benin Kingdom around 1878 entered Benin City with his Ekiti Parapo Army and would have taken over if not for the Frantic desperation of the Oba of Benin in Pacifying him.

http://ogedengbe.com/17503.html

Ogedengbe is an Ijesha Yoruba name

Edo People bearing the Ogedengbs Surname are the descendants of the Ekiti Parapo Army Ogendengbe used to invade Benin

1 Like

Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by tomakint: 12:10am On Jul 25, 2021
RZArecta:
I missed this type of historical threads and their intellectual arguments. Thank you tomakint and welcome back cool

Thanks my great comrade and great soldier way back then cheesy cheesy grin I felt I should allow the young ones to take over from where we stopped back then....how you doing bro?
Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by tomakint: 12:11am On Jul 25, 2021
favor914:

You are not in the know at all, you are still living in the spirit of the pasts, Nigeria is due for disintegration and it will happen in your lifetime
Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by UGBE634: 1:04am On Jul 25, 2021
Christistruth00:

Ogendengbe invaded the Benin Kingdom around 1878 entered Benin City with his Ekiti Parapo Army and would have taken over if not for the Frantic desperation of the Oba of Benin in Pacifying him.

http://ogedengbe.com/17503.html

Ogedengbe is an Ijesha Yoruba name

Edo People bearing the Ogedengbs Surname are the descendants of the Ekiti Parapo Army Ogendengbe used to invade Benin
show me an excerpt where it was said ogedengbe entered Bini city or any Bini speaking villages to raid. You can't find it, what we have in our history was that he is a coward and he went to the extremes of the empire to raid, some of these towns are 200 kilometers away from Benin. Ogendegbe's act can best be described as guerilla warfare and it was cowardly. If I could challenge your betters to show me an excerpt when he got to Ehor ( a Bini speaking village itself, the last Bini speaking village on the northern flank of Benin on your way to Esanland, the village is in itself 57kilometres away from the city) as passionate as she was to destroy Benin, she could not provide it, you are too small
Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by Praxis758: 3:47am On Jul 25, 2021
sinkhole:
You're correct o! I am an Ijesha-man but I sincerely do not know that Ogedengbe means "Ologede ti kii gbe" cheesy

That translation is a fallacy.

Ogedengbe was not his real name from birth. His real name was ORISARAYIBI OGUNDAMOLA. He was given the name by the then Owa Aponlese, the then reigning Owa Obokun of Ilesha.

The Owa Obokun gave him the name because his birth was prophetic from Ifa that a male son will be birthed who will deliver the Ijeshas from the serial oppression of the Ilorins. (The Ibadans oppression was later)

He bagged the name 'Ogedengbe' when he was growing up as a result of his fighting ability to 'carry anyone he's fighting and hit the person on ground'

He's frequent trend in lifting his victims up and hitting them on the ground earned him that name.

You may confirm my writeup from any Ijesha elder.
Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by cheruv: 7:15am On Jul 25, 2021
OBALOLA55:
SAME IN IGBO LANGUAGE NWAOBIRI OR NWAOLOGBO
Ologbo is the ancient YEAI word for cat.... That's why it is the same in Yoruba, Ẹdo and Igbo... As for dog, Igbo is nkịta whilst Ẹdo is ẹkita, but I don't know about that for Yoruba

1 Like

Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by Christistruth00: 7:56am On Jul 25, 2021
UGBE634:
show me an excerpt where it was said ogedengbe entered Bini city or any Bini speaking villages to raid. You can't find it, what we have in our history was that he is a coward and he went to the extremes of the empire to raid, some of these towns are 200 kilometers away from Benin. Ogendegbe's act can best be described as guerilla warfare and it was cowardly. If I could challenge your betters to show me an excerpt when he got to Ehor ( a Bini speaking village itself, the last Bini speaking village on the northern flank of Benin on your way to Esanland, the village is in itself 57kilometres away from the city) as passionate as she was to destroy Benin, she could not provide it, you are too small

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by byinks(f): 8:06am On Jul 25, 2021
Interesting ....Many Ogedengbes take after their forefather to this day... many are officers of theNigerian Army.

1 Like

Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by UGBE634: 8:11am On Jul 25, 2021
[quote author=Christistruth00 post=104065309][/quote] If You know how far some of these communities are to Benin. Someone who left Ibadan for Lagos would get to Lagos before someone who left Benin for lampese or otuo would get there. Show me an excerpt when he got to Esanland, You will get to Esanland before you get to Benin. These are afemai areas, most of these places are very close to Yorubaland, some of them directly borders Yoruba like the Owans, I see it as Invasion of his neighbor. At least he must have gotten to Benin and taken one village, just one out of the over four hundred speaking villages in Bini speaking areas (some of these communities are still so far from the city,or maybe enter Esanland which is even close to these areas, and raid villages. I will know my ancestors are not worthy. just one. Ogendegbe was smart, he knew what you did not know now and I know it. It is because of the Esans, they are very brutal warriors and they never lost a war. the British faced continous eight years of guerilla warfare before they could conquer Esanland eight freaking years!. who is Ogendegbe? The Binis even lost Oba Ozolua to them in a war. The answer is simple, He did not get to Benin because he couldn't have perforated Esanland. They don't answer Esanaigbe for nothing-Esanaigbe-The Esans you can't defeat. They even have a dance to celebrate their military strength and prowess(Igaboneliwmin dance). He just raided slaves where it would be easy for him and hard for us to get to. Before they came for him he ran. That is why you can NEVER find an excerpt with an Esan or Bini speaking village on any paper you would bring
Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by Obamaofusa: 3:23pm On Jul 25, 2021
favor914:
lol
In the olden days,a lot of societies were fighting amongst themselves.That was the norm then.All that is gone so dont stress yourself.
Education and modernity have done some wonders to the world.
Yorubas later got united even before anything called Nigeria and a festival called Beere was established....which later turned to owambe grin
...to commemorate the end of hostilities in Yorubaland.Yorubas have always been taught by God how to manage their differences.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by theTranscriber: 3:31pm On Jul 25, 2021
Trash thread
I'm a Yoruba historian
This account is largely twisted
Might open a thread later
Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by theTranscriber: 3:34pm On Jul 25, 2021
cheruv:

Ologbo is the ancient YEAI word for cat.... That's why it is the same in Yoruba, Ẹdo and Igbo... As for dog, Igbo is nkịta whilst Ẹdo is ẹkita, but I don't know about that for Yoruba
Aja
it's "aja"
Re: The Man, Ogedengbe, A Great Yoruba Warrior And The Cause Of The Kiriji War! by tomakint: 3:41pm On Jul 25, 2021
theTranscriber:
Trash thread
I'm a Yoruba historian
This account is largely twisted
Might open a thread later

Please do and quote me please

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Govt Refused To Issue Seaport License To Akwa Ibom But Gave Lagos - Gov Udom / Fact check:Inec Returned 7041 Votes For Labour Party In Bauchi Lga / How We Were Mercilessly Raped By Soldiers – Tarkwa Bay Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.