Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,732 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar (1700 Views)

Why The Naira Is Now Gaining Against The Dollar / Make Up To N1000-N1500 Every Day / Lol, Gtbank Has Just Set A Minimum Balance To N1000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by wirinet(m): 11:05am On Jul 26, 2021
Got this message on my WhatsApp this morning.

Just Thinking. .

State of the Nigerian Nation.

A typical Nigeria "Big boy/lady" wakes up in the morning, turns off his alarm clock made in CHINA , gets out of his bedsheets woven in INDIA, puts on his clothes made from wool in BANGLADESH, shoes from ITALY, drinks his orange juice from SPAIN, puts milk made in DENMARK in his coffee produced in BRAZIL.

He jumps into his Toyota Camry car made in JAPAN to the TOTAL service station (FRANCE) to refuel PMS, imported from Europe and takes his KOREAN Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra phone made in TAIWAN and buys data for his MTN SIM card (SOUTH AFRICA).

At noon, he leaves his COCA-COLA (USA) office and joins his friend who smokes
AMERICAN cigarettes, they eat THAILAND rice, drink ITALIAN wines and returns home to watch the El Classico on DSTV (SOUTH AFRICA) .

Without spending a kobo on anything made in Nigerian and you want Nigeria to grow!!!?

It will take magic for the Naira to stabilize against the dollar

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by donbachi(m): 11:07am On Jul 26, 2021
wirinet:

Just Thinking. .

A typical Nigeria "Big boy/lady" wakes up in the morning, turns off his alarm clock made in CHINA , gets out of his bedsheets woven in INDIA, puts on his clothes made from wool in BANGLADESH, shoes from ITALY, drinks his orange juice from SPAIN, puts milk made in DENMARK in his coffee produced in BRAZIL.

He jumps into his Toyota Camry car made in JAPAN to the TOTAL service station (FRANCE) to refuel PMS, imported from Europe and takes his KOREAN Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra phone made in TAIWAN and buys data for his MTN SIM card (SOUTH AFRICA).

AMERICAN cigarettes, they eat THAILAND rice, drink ITALIAN wines and returns home to watch the El Classico on DSTV (SOUTH AFRICA) .

Without spending a kobo on anything made in Nigerian and you want Nigeria to grow!!!?

Magical
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by Monogamy: 11:09am On Jul 26, 2021
As long as we keep on importing unnecessary things which we could have been producing ourselves, then the dollar rate would continue to rise

1 Like

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by wirinet(m): 11:09am On Jul 26, 2021
donbachi:
Magical
And the magic will be prayers and deliverance
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by Hezzyluv: 11:10am On Jul 26, 2021
And the president jets outta we county with made in Ukraine plane grin

1 Like

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by wirinet(m): 11:19am On Jul 26, 2021
Monogamy:
As long as we keep on importing unnecessary things which we could have been producing ourselves, then the dollar rate would continue to rise

It goes beyond importing. Nigerians must encouraged to produce simple consumer items like matches, tea cups, rechargeable torch, shoes, clothes, etc using mainly locally sourced materials. Education priority should be given to entrepreneurship and technical education instead of the present administrative and purely academic eduction.
Also capital should be made available and accessible to entrepreneurs, as an interest rate regime of 25 - 25% is counter productive to production and development.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by inoki247: 11:21am On Jul 26, 2021
wirinet:

Just Thinking. .

You people with all diz your excuse sef Wetin Saudi dey produce from ordinary water sef dem no dey produce still why dere currency no dey crash any aw always looking for excuses to defend d Govt...

4 Likes

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by ivolt: 11:25am On Jul 26, 2021
hmmn
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by manhaley5: 11:29am On Jul 26, 2021
Nigeria still get a long way to go.
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 11:30am On Jul 26, 2021
inoki247:

You people with all diz your excuse sef Wetin Saudi dey produce from ordinary water sef dem no dey produce still why dere currency no dey crash any aw always looking for excuses to defend d Govt...

Thank you very much.

Currency value has nothing to do with dependence on imported goods.

Although manufacturing goods in Nigeria will be of a great advantage.

These whites have been fooling us for a long time.

There are countries even importing sand, some dont manufacture as much as NiGEIRA, yet their currency has a higher value.

Nigerian currency is loosing is value becos our leaders are not smart enough to fix a permanent currency values like some countries in the Arab world.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by FarahAideed: 11:31am On Jul 26, 2021
Another lazy attempt to absolve a useless govt that can't provide and single infrastructure to aid production and yet frustrates the very few sacrificing to manufacture or export ...

4 Likes

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 11:36am On Jul 26, 2021
wirinet:

It goes beyond importing. Nigerians must encouraged to produce simple consumer items like matches, tea cups, rechargeable torch, shoes, clothes, etc using mainly locally sourced materials. Education priority should be given to entrepreneurship and technical education instead of the present administrative and purely academic eduction.
Also capital should be made available and accessible to entrepreneurs, as an interest rate regime of 25 - 25% is counter productive to production and development.

interest rate regime of 25 - 25% is counter productive to production and development

To combat this problem we must build our communities and also establish community banks.
We must find a way to counter these capitalist.

1 Like

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by wirinet(m): 11:41am On Jul 26, 2021
-
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by wirinet(m): 11:43am On Jul 26, 2021
LikeAking:

interest rate regime of 25 - 30% is counter productive to production and development

To combat this problem we must build our communities and also establish community banks.
We must find a way to counter these capitalist.
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 12:03pm On Jul 26, 2021
Monogamy:

True, but it applies to only Nigeria.
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by plaetton: 12:08pm On Jul 26, 2021
LikeAking:

Thank you very much.

There are countries even importing sand, some dont manufacture as much as NiGEIRA, yet their currency has a higher value.

Nigerian currency is loosing is value becos our leaders are not smart enough to fix a permanent currency values like some countries in the Arab world.

Pure Nonsense.

Currency values, just like everything in a market place are determined by the forces of demand and supply. At the micro-level , is a measure of the aggregate productive capacity or productive value of a country as compared to other countries. Currency value invariably reflect the economic productivity at any given time.
In well organized economies, yes, the government can manipulate its Currency by adjusting the factors that affect productivity, such as interest rates, money supply, etc, or by adopting an optimistic or pessimistic economic tones gong forward.

Nigeria is neither an organized nor productive economy. Besides oil, we produce very little of anything of value to trade with. With very low per capita productivity, and a non- diversified economy, the value of our currency is solely dependent on the vagaries of the crude oil market. With a large growing population of consumers, our appetite for imported goods, and increasing lack of confidence for new investments create a permanent imbalance in the demand and supply of foreign currencies. Therefore, our currency, over the long run, would always trend downwards. The market forces are too strong for any government to control.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by inoki247: 12:34pm On Jul 26, 2021
LikeAking:

Thank you very much.

if we fix some common thing sef e go reduce our importation imagine having a good road I won't av to worry abt importing a new tires, rim and fixing my shaft nd also spending less on d road nd putting my car through alot inside holdup imagine say u dey inside long holdup u put on ur AC, put on radio, if na night u go run all ur light, still switch on the light inside the car giving your car battery extra stress all diz if holdup no dey I won't av to keep changing or fixing dem nd putting pressure on forex to change them from time to time....

All this people ar just looking for excuses to always defend the Govt.
Company wey u go start now the Govt will come with there bad policies abi no b Abuja dem dey say the company running on Gen now will now have to start paying some fees imagine still taxing me for providing an alternative to keep my business running wat happen to d fuel I'm buying to run my Gen...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by wirinet(m): 12:51pm On Jul 26, 2021
inoki247:

Are you alright? How can you compare Nigeria to Saudi Arabia?
Saudi Arabia exports over 7 million barrels of crude oil everyday for a population of about 35million (including 13 million expatriate workers), while Nigeria barely exports 1 million barrels of crude per day for a population of over 200 million. And I have not added revenue from tourism (pilgrimage) and various investments around the world.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 1:15pm On Jul 26, 2021
plaetton:

Pure Nonsense.

Currency values, just like everything in a market place are determined by the forces of demand and supply. At the micro-level , is a measure of the aggregate productive capacity or productive value of a country as compared to other countries. Currency value invariably reflect the economic productivity at any given time.
In well organized economies, yes, the government can manipulate its Currency by adjusting the factors that affect productivity, such as interest rates, money supply, etc, or by adopting an optimistic or pessimistic economic tones gong forward.

Nigeria is neither an organized nor productive economy. Besides oil, we produce very little of anything of value to trade with. With very low per capita productivity, and a non- diversified economy, the value of our currency is solely dependent on the vagaries of the crude oil market. With a large growing population of consumers, our appetite for imported goods, and increasing lack of confidence for new investments create a permanent imbalance in the demand and supply of foreign currencies. Therefore, our currency, over the long run, would always trend downwards. The market forces are too strong for any government to control.

I for argue with you, but judging by ur write up you are an amature in this field.

Currency value has nothing big to do with you mentioned in raeality.

Point of correction, Nigeria is a productive economy. We grow almost 95% of the food we consume and still manufacture many things. We have lots of manufacturing companies in Nigeria.

Nigerian economy is not as bad as you think/claim, Nigeria is not the head quarter of poverty,etc. All those claims are all rubbish.

Some countries in the Arab world and Europe manufacture less than Nigeria yet their currency value is higher than Nigeria.

As an amuture in the field of finance and economics, I guess you are not aware every country has the right to peg the value of their currency.

Let me school you a little bit.

There is class room economics and there is reality economics.

We are talking about reality economics.

The value of Nigerian Naira is higher than the Korean won, tell me why? Is Nigeria productive than Korea?

Once agian welcome to reality economics.

1 Like

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by plaetton: 1:39pm On Jul 26, 2021
LikeAking:

I for argue with you, but judging by ur write up you are an amature in this field.

Point of correction, Nigeria is a productive economy. We grow almost 95% of the food we consume and still manufacture many things. We have lots of manufacturing companies in Nigeria.

Nigerian economy is not as bad as you think/claim, Nigeria is not the head quarter of poverty,etc. All those claims are all rubbish.

Some countries in the Arab world and Europe, Asia manufacture less than Nigeria yet their currency value is higher than Nigeria.

As an amuture in the field of finance and economics, I guess you are not aware every country has the right to peg the value of their currency.

The value of Nigerian Naira is higher than the Korean won, tell me why? Is Nigeria productive than Korea?

Laughing out loud.

I will award you an F.

Pegging of currencies has zero to do with making a currency strong. Rather, it has to do with increasing exports.
Countries that Peg their currencies to stronger currencies usually do it for solely to maintain stability Rather than strength. They do it to prevent their own currencies from increasing in strength against a major export market Countries.
The Countries that usually peg their currencies are usually high productivity Countries with low-cost production. They Pegging their currencies at a set low rate solely for purpose of maintaining their export advantage. Korea is such an example.

Now, you mention that Naira is more than the Korea currencies, as an example of your economic illiteracy.
Ok, since Naira is stronger than Korean currency, in your words, can 1 Naira and 1 Korean Won buy equivalent items, such as , say, a loaf of bread in Korea and in Nigeria ?

The value of a currency is not about the numerical figure. It is also the value of your productive value as well as it's purchasing capacity.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by wirinet(m): 1:41pm On Jul 26, 2021
LikeAking:

Some countries in the Arab world and Europe manufacture less than Nigeria yet their currency value is higher than Nigeria.

False. Nigeria imports all the wheat and wheat products used in making bread, pasta, and pastry. These foods alone constitute more than 5% of Nigeria's diet. Even with the ban on rice, we still import over 30% of rice we consume in Nigeria through smuggling. We also import a large quantity of beans from neighbouring west African countries. We import tomato paste mainly from China. We import all the milk we consume. Other food we import in large quantity is frozen fish, chicken, turkey, Apple, fruit juice, etc.

95% is a huge overexaggeration

The worst of all the is fuels. We import 100% of the fuels that drive our cars, trucks and machines. Fuels alone constitute a huge percentage of our export bill and thus the value of the naira.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 2:00pm On Jul 26, 2021
wirinet:

False. Nigeria imports all the wheat and wheat products used in making bread, pasta, and pastry. These foods alone constitute more than 5% of Nigeria's diet. Even with the ban on rice, we still import over 30% of rice we consume in Nigeria through smuggling. We also import a large quantity of beans from neighbouring west African countries. We import tomato paste mainly from China. We import all the milk we consume. Other food we import in large quantity is frozen fish, chicken, turkey, Apple, fruit juice, etc.

95% is a huge overexaggeration

The worst of all the is fuels. We import 100% of the fuels that drive our cars, trucks and machines. Fuels alone constitute a huge percentage of our export bill and thus the value of the naira.

Na only wheat/bread you deyc chop?

How about beans and plantian?

Eba and egusi soup?

Etc.

Majority of what we eat are home grown.

They spoil Nigeria with their mouth.

Show me a country that is not importing food.

Some of the developed nation sare even worse.

Even China and co dey import food pass Nigeria.
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 2:00pm On Jul 26, 2021
plaetton:

Laughing out loud.

I will award you an F.

Pegging of currencies has zero to do with making a currency strong. Rather, it has to do with increasing exports.
Countries that Peg their currencies to stronger currencies usually do it for solely to maintain stability Rather than strength. They do it to prevent their own currencies from increasing in strength against a major export market Countries.
The Countries that usually peg their currencies are usually high productivity Countries with low-cost production. They Pegging their currencies at a set low rate solely for purpose of maintaining their export advantage. Korea is such an example.

Now, you mention that Naira is more than the Korea currencies, as an example of your economic illiteracy.
Ok, since Naira is stronger than Korean currency, in your words, can 1 Naira and 1 Korean Won buy equivalent items, such as , say, a loaf of bread in Korea and in Nigeria ?

The value of a currency is not about the numerical figure. It is also the value of your productive value as well as it's purchasing capacity.

Read my reply properly.
I didnt say Nigeria is productive than Korea, I asked a question.

The point of argument here is simple, class room economics is different from reality economics.

Your class room economical theories can be amended by any nation.

You mentioned lots of class room economics theories not 100% applicable in real life.

[/b]Currency values, just like everything in a market place are determined by the forces of demand and supply. At the micro-level , is a measure of the aggregate productive capacity or productive value of a country as compared to other countries. Currency value invariably reflect the economic productivity at any given time.[b] = CLASS ROOM ECONOMICS. You made refrence to the above.

No change the topic.

I disagree with the bolded.
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by plaetton: 2:12pm On Jul 26, 2021
LikeAking:

And I forgot to add that foreign curry and Gold reserves are also important ways to bolster and stabilize the value of a currency, even for non- export countries.
Saudi Arabia, which you also mentioned as an import dependent country, has multiple times GDP per capita than Nigeria. They reserve a substantial part of their oil earnings and enormous Gold reserves permanently domiciled in USD. They invest heavily in diversified areas in and outside their country.
So, despite being an import dependent country, they have more than enough foreign earnings, reserves and investments to buffer their currency. Not comparable to Nigeria at all.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by wirinet(m): 2:16pm On Jul 26, 2021
LikeAking:

Read my reply properly.
I didnt say Nigeria is productive than Korea, I asked a question.

The point of argument here is simple, class room economics is different from reality economics.

Your class room economical theories can be amended by any nation.

You mentioned lots of class room economics theories not 100% applicable in real life.

[/b]Currency values, just like everything in a market place are determined by the forces of demand and supply. At the micro-level , is a measure of the aggregate productive capacity or productive value of a country as compared to other countries. Currency value invariably reflect the economic productivity at any given time.[b] = CLASS ROOM ECONOMICS. You made refrence to the above.

No change the topic.

I disagree with the bolded.

Can you please educate us on REAL LIFE ECONOMICS, and teach us factors that determine the currency of a country. And can you use this REAL LIFE ECONOMICS to explain why the naira has been progressively losing value. Why can't then the CBN decree $1 to equal N1 by today?

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 2:26pm On Jul 26, 2021
plaetton:

And I forgot to add that foreign curry and Gold reserves are also important ways to bolster and stabilize the value of a currency, even for non- export countries.
Saudi Arabia, which you also mentioned as an import dependent country, has multiple times GDP per capita than Nigeria. They reserve a substantial part of their oil earnings and enormous Gold reserves permanently domiciled in USD. They invest heavily in diversified areas in and outside their country.
So, despite being an import dependent country, they have more than enough foreign earnings, reserves and investments to buffer their currency. Not comparable to Nigeria at all.

Guy investigate all these cliams, you go see say most na hype.

I admit they are doing good, bu they have a fantastic packaging.

There are more countries in North Africa and the Arab world with higher currency values and they import more than Nigeria.

Get my point in reality these rules dont work.

Saudi like Nigeria depends on Oil revenue and hell hasnt been let losed.

The Nigerian economy is going down because we are not defending our currency like the Arab folks.

Even if Nigeria was a perfect country, the world will still impose negative values on us.

The GDP per capita of Nigeria is wrongly calculated.

Saudi Arabia, which you also mentioned as an import dependent country, has multiple times GDP per capita than Nigeria. What is the price of basic commodities in Saudia Arabia?. It may shock you its 5-10 times higher than Nigeria. Sometimes its not by huge pay, but what that huge pay can buy. When these foriegner visit Nigeria they astonished with the price of goods and flexing in NiGERIA, COMPARED TO THEIRS.

They reserve a substantial part of their oil earnings and enormous Gold reserves permanently domiciled in USD. This is how the manipulate the value of their currencies. This is one of their secrets to having a solid currency .

There is so much injustice against African countries.

We allow the rules created by the whites to determine our destines.
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 2:34pm On Jul 26, 2021
[quote author=wirinet post=104115771][/quote]

How much you go pay me?
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by oneolajire(m): 2:47pm On Jul 26, 2021
Nonsense post

Wait for made in Nigeria phones, electronics, and computers before you make use of digital gadgets.

Oil wells were gifted to political cronies. Ask what how their oil wealth has benefited Nigeria. Ask of the banks where their oil wealth are kept? You all know it's foreign banks.

Your politicians loot daily and exchange forex from Abokis, yet you blame local consumption for naira devaluation.

There are several politicians and Nigerian contractors who make money in Nigeria to build uninhabited mansions in Dubai, london, just to mention a few. They make in naira, invest overseas in dollars, who benefits?

Abokis collect dollars from banks at cheap rate and sell with a profit of up to 100 naira on each dollar. Restrict forex to banks if you know economics.
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by ourema(f): 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2021
Monogamy:

What are you saying, give Nigerian the opportunity to produce some of these things you mentioned, they will turn around to be more costlier than the imported ones. Take a look at rice for instance, the locally produced rice is costlier than the foreign rice. So tell me how can we expect to improve.
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by Monogamy: 3:18pm On Jul 26, 2021
ourema:

What are you saying, give Nigerian the opportunity to produce some of these things you mentioned, they will turn around to be more costlier than the imported ones. Take a look at rice for instance, the locally produced rice is costlier than the foreign rice. So tell me how can we expect to improve.

It's because there are no serious body to regulate the prices of goods..

How are the others countries being able to do it that we can't in Nigeria..

We shut our borders for years remember
Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by samsard(m): 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2021
LikeAking:

Thank you very much.

You can only fix a permanent value if you have the funds to defend your currency. Ask Lebanon, their currency situation is even worse than Nigeria.
And hey, you're wrong. What you produce can determine the value of your currency. Arab nations have relatively small populations and produce millions of barrels of crude oil. On the other hand, Nigeria has about 200 million people depending on forex mostly from no more than 2 million barrels of crude oil & remittances from abroad with loads of importation.
If we can reduce importation by producing what we use, it'll greatly reduce the pressure on forex.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Naira Is Going To N1000 To The Dollar by LikeAking: 7:02pm On Jul 26, 2021
samsard:
You can only fix a permanent value if you have the funds to defend your currency. Ask Lebanon, their currency situation is even worse than Nigeria.
And hey, you're wrong. What you produce can determine the value of your currency. Arab nations have relatively small populations and produce millions of barrels of crude oil. On the other hand, Nigeria has about 200 million people depending on forex mostly from no more than 2 million barrels of crude oil & remittances from abroad with loads of importation.
If we can reduce importation by producing what we use, it'll greatly reduce the pressure on forex.

There are smaller nations in Africa in a similar situation like the Arabs, yet their currency is messed up.

You may think your claims are correct, but in reality they are rong.

Every nation as the right to fix the value of her currency at any value. African nations are using it to dia disadvantage.

Nigeria has about 200 million people depending on forex mostly from no more than 2 million barrels of crude oil & remittances from abroad with loads of importation

These claims are wrong. They are not calculating the money made by banks and co, etc. Lots of money from the diaspora and investors and etc. This is just a one sided calculation on crude.

Ask your sef, is Nigeria actually poor as they claim?

Check the amount spent on imports in Nigeria, its too small for our population. Majority of the funds was spent importing petrol.

Nigeria is actually not importing too much as they claim, although its still bad to import at this rate.

Forex is not our problem, the CBN is just withholding the forex.

African leaders/economies are slaves to the law.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Start With What You Have Now! / Abolition Of Cargo Tracking Note / Disclaimer: My Username Is Stagger: I Do Not Know Any Staggerman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.