Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw (2753 Views)

On S Serious Note, Igbos Stop Including Niger Delta In Your Zionist Lesotho / Dr. Kingsley Obiora: Is Delta In South South Or South East? / I Don't Want Niger Delta In Biafra (2) (3) (4)

Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 2:07am On Jul 28, 2021
---------------THE IJAW TRIBE OF NIGERIA

they've been some sot of confusion about the population of the ijaw tribe of nigeria
hope this references may point some light.

The Ethnic group of the Niger Delta in Nigeria; also known as ijaw.
Living in a region covered with mangrove swamps and
frequently flooded fields, the ijaws have for centuries combined fishing and agriculture as their main economic activities. According to law legend, all ijaw descend from a
‘Common ancestor who arrived in the Niger Delta in the
fifteenth century. Many anthropologists believe, however,
that the Ijaw are made up of formerly autonomous village
‘Groups who may have lived in the area longer than any
‘Other local ethnic group. Their language is distinct from
those of their neighbors

In addition to fishing, farming, and collecting palm oil,
the ijaw manufactured sale by leaching it from seawater
that flowed into the Niger River delta. During the African
SALT TRADE the ijaw developed experience as traders.
‘They later used these trading skills, becoming influential
brokers in the transatlantic slave trade European demand
also created a vast market for palm oil, and some ijaw
traders built vast fortunes from the trade. Economies and
regional pressures forged a sense of identity among the
ijaw people, uniting formerly autonomous villages behind
such larger communities as Calabar, Bonny, and Nemke.
To some extent, traders replaced kings ijaw leaders, and
even some former slaves gained prominence.
During the mid-twentieth century, life changed drastically for ijaws. The discovery of natural gas and oil in their land brought the ijaw, with the rest of NIGERIA, into contact with multinational corporations. Oil bought some new jobs to the delta region; however, its inhabitants Felt
Increasingly oppressed by the oil! companies and the
destruction of the local fishing economy that came wit
petroleum production. In the late 1990s and early 20008
some of the ijaw, especially young people, openly revolted
against major oil companies and sabotaged oil operations in order to take back resources that they viewed as their birthright. Population figures for the ijaw vary widely, though it’s possible that as many as 15 million people belong to that group.

Encyclopedia of Africa, Volume 1
A current location for over 7,000 years. Their
language has no immediate cognates,
which helps support the idea that they
speak a unique language called Izon and
belong to the Ijoid family of the Niger-
Congo phylum, some Ijaw claim they originated in Upper Egypt while others say in
South Africa. They number over 14 million
people, or 10 percent of Nigeria’s population, and are broken up into a number of subgroups, including the Ibanji, Okrika
Kalabari, Nemba, Akassa, and Defka.

British colonization of the ijaw took
place between 1884 and 1894 as different
states were forced to agree to be British
protectorates. It took until 1902 to bring
the whole of the Delta area under British
control with the defeat of the Igbo. Many
of the [jaw converted to Christianity and
sought better jobs through education.
Nigeria became independent in 1960
and became a republic in 1963. The crisis
of the Biafra War from 1967 to 1970
greatly impacted all of the southern part
of Nigeria, though the ijaw did not support
the Igbo attempt for independence. ijaw
“rebellion” began later with the discovery
of oil in their part of the country. Feeling
denied most of the financial benefits
of the oil monies, they have become
embroiled in conflict with the government.
While they are able to take advantage of
higher-paying jobs, they have not seen

-----------The Population of ijaws in nigeria varies ,but it is now estimated to be around 10% of the country's population
in the year 2006 Nigeria population is 142.5million meaning the ijaws then was about 14.25milln
---2016 nigeria was 186milln hence ijaws 18.6 million
last population check is 2019 -and nigeria is 201 million therefore the ijaws are 20.1million in population
remember am using the 10% as a refrence the dis value may vary a bit.

the are currently about 51 ijaw related clans in nigeria ... go and search it yourself.
TODAY ijaws relation can be found in rivers,cross rivers,edo,ondo,delta,bayelsa,gabon,sierra leone
their hometown is bayelsa but THEY have denser populatioin in Niger delta of Nigeria .

if you want to read about the ijaws here are some reference links
https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=GN5yv3-U6goC&q=ijaw+4+million&pg=PA130&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ijaw%204%20million&f=false

--https://books.google.com/books?id=A0XNvklcqbwC&q=ijaw+population&pg=PA596

Let us learn to appreciate the wonderful tribes we have in nigeria..

lalasticlala
mynd44
r4bbit
seun

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by Ofodirinwa: 2:18am On Jul 28, 2021
the images you used are not even Ijaw.
I've noticed the poorest parts of Nigeria

The North
Ijaw Land

Believe inflating their populations are the way out.

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 2:58am On Jul 28, 2021
Ofodirinwa:

I've noticed the poorest parts of Nigeria

The North
Ijaw Land

Believe inflating their populations are the way out.
And hw has daht helped your life so far.... undecided

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 3:10am On Jul 28, 2021

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by Karlovych: 3:26am On Jul 28, 2021
embarassed embarassed Whoever wrote this must be a ....

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 3:35am On Jul 28, 2021
Karlovych:
embarassed embarassed Whoever wrote this must be a ....

When i first saw your profile....
I knew you are mad!...

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by Ofodirinwa: 3:51am On Jul 28, 2021
r4bbit:

And hw has daht helped your life so far.... undecided

because of it, I'm no longer a virgin

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by Karlovych: 3:55am On Jul 28, 2021
r4bbit:

When i first saw your profile....
I knew you are mad!...
grin grin My profile doesn't change the fact that you're an Ijaw wannabe, because real Ijaws don't behave this way, Afonja conehead

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 4:00am On Jul 28, 2021
Ofodirinwa:

because of it, I'm no longer a virgin
....I see, you probably lost your senses too.
D tIme you lost yur virginity? grin

Mumu

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by Nobody: 4:00am On Jul 28, 2021
What’s with the Ijaw hate recently on nairaland wetin we do una
Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 4:06am On Jul 28, 2021
Karlovych:
grin grin My profile doesn't change the fact that you're an Ijaw wannabe, because real Ijaws don't behave this way, Afonja conehead
It also stands to prove
How inrelevant the words of a mad man is cheesy
Atleast we both agree on the fact that you are only A stupid fellow

You can hate them from now till eternity....
It still wouldn't change your wretched life

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 4:08am On Jul 28, 2021
DuwaRepublic:
What’s with the Ijaw hate recently on nairaland wetin we do una
I wonder

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by Karlovych: 4:11am On Jul 28, 2021
r4bbit:
It also stands to prove
How inrelevant the words of a mad man is cheesy
Atleast we both agree on the fact that you are only A stupid fellow
Ijaw wannabe, typing from his mud house in Ijesha. He added the map of Abia and Imo as Ijaw related clans, only an Afonja that has never left the west will do such

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by richmond500: 4:11am On Jul 28, 2021
Lolz, Ijaw thread again, I don tire

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 4:21am On Jul 28, 2021
Karlovych:
Ijaw wannabe, typing from his mud house in Ijesha. He added the map of Abia and Imo as Ijaw related clans, only an Afonja that has never left the west will do such

There is nothing wrong with being an ijaw wanna be, there is nothing wrong with being an ijesha .i am who i am.. kiss But you know whats is wrong? People with misplaced priorities like you....

I woudn't be suprised though you already admit you are A foolish person...

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 4:23am On Jul 28, 2021
richmond500:
Lolz, Ijaw thread again, I don tire
....yes, but this time.... I will cure the hatred

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by FatimaAbubakar(f): 4:27am On Jul 28, 2021
Which kain nonsense be this?

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 4:33am On Jul 28, 2021
FatimaAbubakar:
Which kain nonsense be this?

What do you mean?
Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by englishmart(m): 4:38am On Jul 28, 2021
The federal government banned history because of the atrocities against the Biafrans during the civil war. We don't need to study history to know certain things.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 4:41am On Jul 28, 2021
englishmart:
The federal government banned history because of the atrocities against the Biafrans during the civil war. We don't need to study history to know certain things.
D government did not ban history...
Go and sleep

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by englishmart(m): 4:49am On Jul 28, 2021
r4bbit:

D government did not ban history...
Go and sleep

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, You're sick, sir.

BMC

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 4:55am On Jul 28, 2021
englishmart:

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, You're sick, sir.

BMC
there is no need for pleasanteries.... Speak your mind, but it still dosen't change the fact that your wrong.
I told you go and sleep

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by richmond500: 4:58am On Jul 28, 2021
englishmart:
FG banned history? Is this another news from NK piglets sponsored media?

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 5:00am On Jul 28, 2021
richmond500:
FG banned history? Is this another news from NK piglets sponsored media?
i tire oo

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by englishmart(m): 5:01am On Jul 28, 2021
r4bbit:
there is no need for pleasanteries.... Speak your mind, but it still dosen't change the fact that your wrong.
I told you go and sleep

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT

You're still sick, sir.

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by richmond500: 5:01am On Jul 28, 2021
r4bbit:
....yes, but this time.... I will cure the hatred
u can't cure the hatred, those ipob piglets are hate filled, they insult every tribe, their lord and personal saviour NK even insults Igbo his own tribe.

They are irredeemable, no need to cure them, u fight fire with fire

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 5:03am On Jul 28, 2021
englishmart:

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT

I am still sick, sir.

Repetition of word can be a sign of madness....
You are too foolish to talk to

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by englishmart(m): 5:04am On Jul 28, 2021
r4bbit:

Repetition of word can be a sign of madness....
I am too foolish and mad to talk to a sane guy like you, englishmart.

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT!

You need mental evaluation, sir.

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by r4bbit: 5:09am On Jul 28, 2021
englishmart:

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT!

Redirect those same words to your father..
And watch how your life will...

Thank me later

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by richmond500: 5:11am On Jul 28, 2021
englishmart:

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT!

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT SIR

Ur chest beating personal lord and saviour is begging to be in Kuje prison, saying he finds it difficult to understand the DSS language

Re: Ethnic Group Of The Niger Delta In Nigeria|ijaw by englishmart(m): 5:13am On Jul 28, 2021
richmond500:
WITH ALL DUE RESPECT SIR

Ur chest beating personal lord and saviour is begging to be in Kuje prison, saying he finds it difficult to understand the DSS language

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT

I'm done with your sorry asss, sir.
sad

Do Tinubu Really Knows He Is A Muslim / ISWAP Claims Responsibility For Killing Of Two Igbo Traders In Kano / If Arise TV Mistakenly Dismiss Rufai, Nigerians Will Make Him A Billionaire.