Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,326 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Advice On Career - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice On Career (267 Views)

Influence Of Guidance And Counselling On Career Choice Of Secondary School Stude / Pupils Of Aocoed Staff School Delight Teachers, Parents On Career Day / Need Good Advice on career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Career by Fajo99(f): 2:55pm On Jul 28, 2021
I need your guidance members

My male friend is a lawyer in nigeria (called to the Nigerian bar yesterday). He has a girlfriend and they have been in a serious relationship for 5 years with the intention to get married soon. The girlfriend is in UK at the moment working as a Nurse and she's eager for marriage. My guy is confused because he wants to further his post graduate study, however financial constraints has been a major hindrance why he's not planning to join her soon. He believes he can't just go there to be doing menial jobs when they are married and that post graduate study will give him an opportunity in the corporate space to an extent.

He doesn't know whether to get married to her and be doing menial jobs over there or to wait and gather some funds for his masters in order to have a purposeful stay with her as they will both be working and earning good pay respectively.

Kindly advice
Re: Advice On Career by Nozino: 3:04pm On Jul 28, 2021
Fajo99:
I need your guidance members

My male friend is a lawyer in nigeria (called to the Nigerian bar yesterday). He has a girlfriend and they have been in a serious relationship for 5 years with the intention to get married soon. The girlfriend is in UK at the moment working as a Nurse and she's eager for marriage. My guy is confused because he wants to further his post graduate study, however financial constraints has been a major hindrance why he's not planning to join her soon. He believes he can't just go there to be doing menial jobs when they are married and that post graduate study will give him an opportunity in the corporate space to an extent.

He doesn't know whether to get married to her and be doing menial jobs over there or to wait and gather some funds for his masters in order to have a purposeful stay with her as they will both be working and earning good pay respectively.

Kindly advice

I’m not sure a post graduate program will be of much help to him in the UK. Law is regulated so he has to qualify to practice law and I know there are two different options available. Even if he does succeed in being qualified, getting a job will be difficult. Law is over saturated not just in the UK but in all western countries and the accent plus foreign name won’t help much in his job search.

My advice is to get married and legally migrate. When he gets there he would definitely get something doing or he should consider a masters in social work.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with doing menial jobs .

1 Like

Re: Advice On Career by Fajo99(f): 3:08pm On Jul 28, 2021
Thank you. Can he consider other areas like public policy, social policy, human resource management, leadership and governance etc
Re: Advice On Career by Fajo99(f): 7:18pm On Jul 28, 2021
I look forward to more contributions

Thanks in anticipation

(1) (Reply)

UNIBEN Final Year Student Builds A Sculpture Of Activist Aisha Yesufu / Where Can I Get Data Analysis Certification / Itel CSR Supports Education �

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.