Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,821 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! (5262 Views)

Nigeria’s Looted £400bn In Europe, Asia — UK Group / Video: Nigerian House Of Rep Member Defending Pay, Says He Is Not Payed Enough / Video: Nigerian Soldiers Killing Civilians In Jos-viewer Discretion Is Advised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by ezeagu(m): 12:00am On May 15, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXBQT5yI0s&hl=en&fs=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQh3r1FhWiA

[size=14pt]Weaving the world together - The Economist[/size]

Chike Obidigbo, for example, runs a factory in Enugu, Nigeria, making soap and other household goods. He needs machines to churn palm oil and chemicals into soap, stamp it into bars and package it in plastic. He buys Chinese equipment, he says, because although it is not as good as European stuff, it is much cheaper. But it is difficult for a Nigerian firm to do business in China. Mr Obidigbo does not speak Chinese, and he cannot fly halfway around the world every time he wants to buy a new soap machine. Worse, if something goes wrong neither the Chinese government nor the Nigerian one is likely to be much help.

Yet Mr Obidigbo's firm, Hardis and Dromedas, manages quite well with the help of middlemen in the African diaspora. When he wants to inspect a machine he has seen on the internet, he asks an agent from his tribe, the Igbo, who lives in China to go and look at it. He has met several such people at trade fairs. “When you hear people speaking Igbo outside Nigeria, you must go and greet them,” he laughs.

He trusts them partly because they are his ethnic kin, but mostly because an Igbo middleman in Guangdong needs to maintain a good reputation. If a middleman cheats one Igbo, all the others who buy machinery in Guangdong will soon know about it. News travels fast on the diaspora grapevine.

Thanks in part to Mr Obidigbo's diaspora connections, Hardis and Dromedas is thriving. It employs 300 workers and sells about 300m naira-worth ($2m) of products each year. And it is just one of many African firms that use migrants as their eyes and ears in distant lands. The number of Africans living in China has exploded from hardly any two decades ago to tens of thousands today. One area of Guangzhou is now home to so many African traders that the locals call it Qiao-ke-li Cheng (Chocolate City).

Continued: http://www.economist.com/node/21538700

2 Likes

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by cap28: 12:51am On May 15, 2011
what was that chinese woman talking about? if africa is so poor why are thousands of chinese emigrating there?
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by alex101(m): 1:13am On May 15, 2011
Chei! Ndigbo ana me' kenne unu! Chukwu gozie ri ayi niche' di e' gwu cool cheesy

At a time like this, I feel we have been massively short changed by not having our own country YET. We Igbo are known to venture where no nigerian will venture- this is what sets us apart from these nigerians,,,,we're light years ahead of these folks in this regard. Anywhere the nigerian factor is not at play, my brothers/sisters of the great Igbo race, I can confidently report to you all that we tower above our adversaries,,,,,INFACT, there is no competition, NONE cool
  As one whose job takes him places, I can report to you all that I met with our brothers of Igbo extraction in Angola, Gabon, Ivory coast, Kenya, DR-Congo,
Congo-brazzaville, RSA, Namibia, Ecuador, Jamaica et.al. and they are doing what we as a people are known for- carving a niche in business for their respective selves cool I remember the bed and breakfast lodge I stayed at, in Quito, was/is owned by our Igbo brother and his lovely Igbo wife.
 May this our brother and others like him in china continue to prosper, AMEN! May Igbo businesses in the homeland (Innonso and others) continue to grow against all odds. Finally and most importantly, may the SUN RISE AGAIN IN THE LAND OF THE EAST, AMEN cool

10 Likes

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:03am On May 15, 2011
cap28:

what was that chinese woman talking about? if africa is so poor why are thousands of chinese emigrating there?

^^^Apparently to take advantage of the opportunities Africans are ignoring. Africa is perceived as being poor not just materially, but also suffers from a poverty of good leadership, poverty of ideas and a lack of a will and focus to actualize the few ideas going.

My people though are doing us proud. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by ezeagu(m): 2:41am On May 15, 2011
alex101:

Chei! Ndigbo ana me' kenne unu! Chukwu gozie ri ayi niche' di e' gwu cool cheesy

At a time like this, I feel we have been massively short changed by not having our own country YET. We Igbo are known to venture where no nigerian will venture- this is what sets us apart from these nigerians,,,,we're light years ahead of these folks in this regard. Anywhere the nigerian factor is not at play, my brothers/sisters of the great Igbo race, I can confidently report to you all that we tower above our adversaries,,,,,INFACT, there is no competition, NONE cool
  As one whose job takes him places, I can report to you all that I met with our brothers of Igbo extraction in Angola, Gabon, Ivory coast, Kenya, DR-Congo,
Congo-brazzaville, RSA, Namibia, Ecuador, Jamaica et.al. and they are doing what we as a people are known for- carving a niche in business for their respective selves cool I remember the bed and breakfast lodge I stayed at, in Quito, was/is owned by our Igbo brother and his lovely Igbo wife.
 May this our brother and others like him in china continue to prosper, AMEN! May Igbo businesses in the homeland (Innonso and others) continue to grow against all odds. Finally and most importantly, may the SUN RISE AGAIN IN THE LAND OF THE EAST, AMEN cool

I've even heard of them prospering as far as the Pacific Ocean. Gini chukwara ha rute ebe ahu? grin

To your prayer I say Iseeeee!
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by EzeUche2(m): 2:42am On May 15, 2011
Igbo Kwenu!

Igbo Kwenu!

Igbo Kwenu!

If Nigeria tries to keep us down, we shall look abroad and expand our business empire. I am so proud of my brothers business acumen.

Gbahapu ihe ochie were nke ohu. cool

3 Likes

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by ektbear: 2:53am On May 15, 2011
That is a pretty great video.
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by OAM4J: 3:05am On May 15, 2011
Yeah nice one video.

China really need to do something about their immigration laws. They should treat others the way they wanted to be treated by others.

Can you imagine giving residency to a couple and denying their children the same? whereas they move with their entire linage to wherever they choose to go.
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by EzeUche2(m): 3:09am On May 15, 2011
OAM4J:

China really need to do something about their immigration laws. They should treat others the way they wanted to be treated by others.

Can you imagine giving residency to a couple and denying their children the same? whereas they move with their entire linage to wherever they choose to go.

Exactly! This is something that needs to be changed about China's immigration laws, but the fact remains, there is money to be made in China. Maybe I should learn Mandarin and add that to the 4 other languages that I speak. However, I hear the Chinese language is quite complex.
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by Justcash(m): 9:31am On May 15, 2011
It takes Perseverance, Vision, A realistic plan, Clearly stated objective and a good strategy to attain success in Asia.
If you are not strong enough, you can never do business in Asia. It is harsh and really demanding. It is very discouraging and sometimes too complex to comprehend. But, you have to push on against all odds to survive.
This video will really enlighten many people about the possibilities and opportunities that exist in China, and Asia in general. Yes, it is harsh, but is it worth it? Oh yes! very much worth it.
It is not beans to do business in China. Even the Chinese keep looking for ways to reap foreigners apart. It is even worse in Japan.

1 Like

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by Rgp92: 12:24pm On May 15, 2011
Good news grin grin
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by henry101(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2011
ezeagu:

I've even heard of them prospering as far as the Pacific Ocean. Gini chukwara ha rute ebe ahu? grin

To your prayer I say Iseeeee!

This is no jokes,
Saw it myself,
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by EzeUche2(m): 4:14pm On May 15, 2011
Now this thread should be on the front page.

I wonder why it isn't? undecided
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by EzeUche2(m): 4:16pm On May 15, 2011
Festus Mbisiogu [/b]and[b] Emma Ojukwu is making us proud. cool

1 Like

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by buzugee(m): 4:45pm On May 15, 2011
guys guys guys before we go patting ourselves on the back, i think the bad news from nigerians out of china far exceeds the good news.
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by henry101(m): 6:38pm On May 15, 2011
Do you mean there are more bad Nigerians in China or the good news which exceeds, as usual go unnoticed.

buzugee:

guys guys guys before we go patting ourselves on the back, i think the[b] bad news from nigerians out of china far exceeds the good news[/b].

1 Like

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by aljharem3: 6:47pm On May 15, 2011
Nice one nigerians

Igbo kwenu!!!! cheesy
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by koruji(m): 7:42pm On May 15, 2011
Anecdotal tribalism - so when somebody else comes around here and says Igbos are responsible for most of the crime Nigerians commit abroad, hopefully you 'll also be singing "Igbo Kwenu". It goes both ways.

The fact is Nigerians are found everywhere Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo - and competing, just like the Chinese/Indians are found everywhere. It is partly a function of population, partly a function of irresponsible governance and lack of opportunity at home, and partly a function of drive.

alex101:

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by aloyemeka1: 8:00pm On May 15, 2011
Abegi, igbos are hiring Chinese in China because they will help them penetrate the local market and attract Chinese customers. It is a symbiotic relationship and nothing more.
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by EzeUche2(m): 8:02pm On May 15, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Abegi, igbos are hiring Chinese in China because they will help them penetrate the local market and attract Chinese customers. It is a symbiotic relationship and nothing more.

Of course! It makes perfect sense. Trust an Igbo man to make money anywhere.  cool

2 Likes

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by Rgp92: 8:09pm On May 15, 2011
EzeUche_:

Of course! It makes perfect sense. Trust an Igbo man to make money anywhere.  cool

Dont turn this into a tribal war !!! This man is a nigerian nothing more nothing less !!!! angry angry
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by EzeUche2(m): 8:18pm On May 15, 2011
Rgp92:

Dont turn this into a tribal war !!! This man is a nigerian nothing more nothing less !!!! angry angry

Why would there be a tribal war? I am just stating obvious in which the Igbo man is good at business.

Yes, they are making Nigeria proud, even though they would not be recognized for their achievements.

1 Like

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by EzeUche2(m): 9:22pm On May 16, 2011
Now we all know why this thread is not on the front page.

Any news reference that speaks good of the Ndigbo is suppressed.

1 Like

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by Afanna1: 9:24pm On May 16, 2011
Igbo kwenu!
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by ezeagu(m): 11:37pm On May 16, 2011
The immigration laws need to be addressed if they want to send over people in thousand to Nigeria, anyway, what would Nigeria do?
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by Mariory(m): 12:51am On May 17, 2011
EzeUche_:

Now we all know why this thread is not on the front page.

Any news reference that speaks good of the Ndigbo is suppressed.

Nope. It's not on the front page because after 2 posts you've turned it into an Igbo thread because Nigerians (who happen to be Igbo) are featured in the video. That basically killed any incentive for further discussion outside of your nairaland click. You know yourselves.

1 Like

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by Obiagu1(m): 1:29am On May 17, 2011
Mariory:

Nope. It's not on the front page because after 2 posts you've turned it into an Igbo thread because Nigerians (who happen to be Igbo) are featured in the video. That basically killed any incentive for further discussion outside of your nairaland click. You know yourselves.

Thank you.
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by aljharem3: 1:37am On May 17, 2011
gbammm
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by EzeUche2(m): 1:42am On May 17, 2011
No more Igbo Kwenu from me. . . cry
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by ezeagu(m): 5:30pm On May 17, 2011
Mariory:

Sorry, are there no threads promoted to the front page which highlight Nigerians, but where their ethnicity was mentioned?

1 Like

Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by ezeagu(m): 4:22am On May 18, 2011
Okay, I thought as well.
Re: Video: Nigerian Businesses Prosper In Asia! by ezeagu(m): 3:48pm On Apr 11, 2015
EzeUche2:
No more Igbo Kwenu from me. . . cry

?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ondo Employs 8,000 Youths In Fadama Programme / How Come Buhari(people's General) Could Afford Those Bullet Proof Jeeps? / What Was Yemi Osinbajo's Role In The Sgt. Rogers/al-mustapha Saga?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.