Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. (26312 Views)

Unic Vilos Montessori School Teacher Arrested For Abusing A Toddler In Lagos / Parents And Babcock University Staffs Fight Over Hotel Spaces (VIDEO) / How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Hendtime: 12:46pm On Jul 31, 2021
duro4chang:
Please stop that. Man must chop now. For some private schools, no salary during the holiday. It is the little you get during the summer school you have to manage with. If parents are not complaining please stop it. Besides, some parents want it because it is not easy to keep children at home doing nothing. Some parents will also go out for work and the children must be at somewhere safe.

This can also be fixed by the govt, how dare private schools employ teachers like factory workers that are employed on casual basis? What is NLC, TUC etc doing?

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by donbenie(m): 12:47pm On Jul 31, 2021
Pauldollars:
There's nothing wrong with Summer Lessons. It is not made compulsory by any school in Nigeria.
Besides, Most children are usually idle during the Summer breaks and parents always prefer them engaged during that period than staying home playing from morning till night.
Leave the debate on the importance of summer lessons to parents.
All I've got to say to you is that..
All Work and no play makes Akeem a dull boy..
The human brain,nay,the human body,is fashioned to need a rest in order to function maximally..
It is called holidays for a reason..
Many of the parents don't know any better..
Therefore the importance of the summer holidays shouldn't be left to them alone..
Just this morning I had the same thought,while some schools were about,advertising for holiday lessons..

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by bigpicture001: 12:54pm On Jul 31, 2021
When I was little..the first assignment when we resume after the holiday is ..."write a composition explaining how you spent your holiday....."

Then when it's holiday..we are sent by my parents to bond with her sister's children in other state..we spend sometimes a month...and other times her children com to us...and we also go to uncle's families.....

Now young and new generation parents have killed that and turned Nigeria into only a nuclear family..kids DNT know their cousins anymore.....very bad!

4 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Vinnie2000(m): 12:54pm On Jul 31, 2021
FutureIsFemale:
Never heard of the saying; " All work and no rest make Jack a dull boy"?

The Kind of 'Rest' I see little Children engage in diz days is suspicious..
If they want to Rest@all, dey should be well Monitored!!..
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by descarado: 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2021
Eagle360:
This is what I'm discussing with my wife, that what is our 3years son going to learn at summer lesson? We should leave the boy to play around but madam refuse.
The thing is parent are so lazy, they can't stand their children wahala grin
Another is work, you can't take your children to work during this holiday, so parent opt for summer lesson.
Depending on the school.
The school my kids go to before don't do summer lessons.
Rather, it's play time for pupils that have working parents.
7am to 6pm. Go with your food as usual, classes organise play time for the kids. Non stop fun. Kids love that.
What I can't do, I will not impose on any kid. There is time for everything.

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by duro4chang(m): 1:05pm On Jul 31, 2021
Hendtime:

This can also be fixed by the govt, how dare private schools employ teachers like factory workers that are employed on casual basis? What is NLC, TUC etc doing?
That is the situation we find ourselves in this country. The NUT cannot do anything neither the NLC because these teachers are not allowed to join of form any union. Our goverment is as dumb as anything. Honestly private school teachers are suffering.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by missidy: 1:10pm On Jul 31, 2021
I never did summer school even when my school had it and my children won't either. Immediately school ends, I would inform my aunty in Abuja that I want to come for holidays. The first 2 weeks of summer, I always spent it at the saloon in my compound. That was how I learnt how to start making hair right from primary school. After the 2 weeks, I am off to Abuja to enjoy myself. That is how that bond with my aunty was formed, she the closest aunty to me. The funniest part is when I return to school, I will still carry 2nd position despite my play play. Other holidays I spent it at home playing away my life with other children in the compound, lovely memories.

When I entered secondary school, I started dividing the holidays between Abuja and the village. I will go to the village and spend time with my grandparents until I am bored then move to my aunt's house. All those lovely memories would never have been created if I was wasting my time in one nonsense summer lesson. Just one time after jss3 I said let me join one that my friend was going to, I didn't learn anything at all. I just packed my bag and travelled to my grandparents abeg. I abandoned the lesson.

A lot of mothers today are working class so they need somewhere to keep their kids. When I have kids I plan to take my annual leave every August so I can stay home with my kids and we can travel to new places. Sometimes I bundle them to their grandparents house. I enjoyed my holidays therefore I will make sure my kids enjoy theirs.

5 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by highoctane: 1:13pm On Jul 31, 2021
Pauldollars:
There's nothing wrong with Summer Lessons. It is not made compulsory by any school in Nigeria.
Besides, Most children are usually idle during the Summer breaks and parents always prefer them engaged during that period than staying home playing from morning till night.
Leave the debate on the importance of summer lessons to parents.
Do we know how many summer lessons
Buhari took
Aliko Dangote?
Good luck Ebele Jonathan
Obi Iyiegbu known as Obi Cubana
Wale Tinubu
Olu Obasanjo
Anthony Elumelu
Late Awolowo
Late Nnamdi Benjamin Azikiwe
Bill Gates
Sam Watson
Carlos Slim
The Suzuki's, Nissan, Toyota's, Sony's

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by duro4chang(m): 1:13pm On Jul 31, 2021
DriveByKiller:
shameless devil. Even the parents need to be saved along with their children from miseducation purveyors like you.

Educational abba Kyari. May God destroy you and the 22 dweebs who liked your worthless post.
With what I wrote if this the only way you can reply then something is actually wrong with your reasoning. One can still be educated and reason like a stark illiterate. Mind you, the issue of summer school has never been made compulsory . Has it? Why will you then create enemy for youself? I deserve an apology from you.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by DriveByKiller: 1:27pm On Jul 31, 2021
duro4chang:
With what I wrote if this the only way you can reply then something is actually wrong with your reasoning. One can still be educated and reason like a stark illiterate. Mind you, the issue of summer school has never been made compulsory . Has it? Why will you then create enemy for youself? I deserve an apology from you.
you're not an enemy, just a human filth akin to the dirt underneath one's shoe.

Now you said parents aren't complaining so the OP should let the matter be.

Then you opined again that it isn'tafe compulsory. I hope you're not a teacher because you're unfit. You won't even be passed for barely literate, you're a the manifestation of miseducation and emboldened Ignorance who is capable of endangering any children that comes in contact with you.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by OhiOfIhima: 1:28pm On Jul 31, 2021
Ezedon:
In Nigeria Private Schools,
School Fees each term = +/- 250k
Average Teachers salary = 20k
What a world
Exactly man... Before you know they have already open another branch somewhere but deprived the life of teachers.

In my school days, we go farming, still, in higher institution, those summer coaching students still look onto us for assignments and practical analysis.

Naw country no just pure for some of us bcoz you need connection n long legs to excel in this Obodo Nigeria.

E go be surely.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by matrixme(m): 1:28pm On Jul 31, 2021
Let your children go and learn chess. If many more Nigerians learned chess, we would never have voted in Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by obonujoker(m): 1:44pm On Jul 31, 2021
Mckeni007:
If you are a parent, you will know why we send them to the lesson
Their disturbances is madness

And do you appreciate teachers/hereafter?
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Eagle360(m): 1:52pm On Jul 31, 2021
descarado:

Depending on the school.
The school my kids go to before don't do summer lessons.
Rather, it's play time for pupils that have working parents.
7am to 6pm. Go with your food as usual, classes organise play time for the kids. Non stop fun. Kids love that.
What I can't do, I will not impose on any kid. There is time for everything.
you are on point.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Myself2(m): 1:55pm On Jul 31, 2021
God bless you OP

For me, as far as I'm concerned, summer school na scam.

Summer holidays are me at for children to rest well at home.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 31, 2021
post=104277002:
Here In Nasarawa State, Secondary School Are Just Starting Third Term

Which calendar are you guys using?

It is well.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Halle000: 2:05pm On Jul 31, 2021
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by greenguy: 2:07pm On Jul 31, 2021
duro4chang:
Please stop that. Man must chop now. For some private schools, no salary during the holiday. It is the little you get during the summer school you have to manage with. If parents are not complaining please stop it. Besides, some parents want it because it is not easy to keep children at home doing nothing. Some parents will also go out for work and the children must be at somewhere safe.

You missed the whole point in his message. The kids needs a break.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by greenguy: 2:08pm On Jul 31, 2021
CharisEleos:

It is well.

ISWAP and Bandits calendar.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by duro4chang(m): 2:10pm On Jul 31, 2021
greenguy:

You missed the whole point in his message. The kids needs a break.
Of course, they need rest. But it is also not made compulsory. If you don't want it for your ward, then keep him at home .
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Kennyking1234: 2:12pm On Jul 31, 2021
OnyeFely:
Parents should send their kids and wards to learn one skill or the other that will be beneficial to them in future. Education is good, but in Nigeria of today, ọ e needs to have one skill or the other.
yours truly.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Kennyking1234: 2:16pm On Jul 31, 2021
matrixme:
Let your children go and learn chess. If many more Nigerians learned chess, we would never have voted in Buhari.
Boss how do I learn. Am an amateur. I know checkers well.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by donmik: 2:17pm On Jul 31, 2021
I agree we with you, there is time for different happenings in life to make sweetness.

But this OP poses his case in a striving manner.

U can go to the dailies and kindly tell parents the needs for children involving in different phases of life apart from classroom and they will appreciate you.

Some of you grow up in a barbaric and melancholic manner and background that even when u have a point to make, u still end up abusing yourselves in your manner of presentation. Maybe that u have a neighbour whom u keep one beef or the other with and u end up addressing the nation with your disgruntled motives

Pls, redress your presentation in a simple but enlightening manner
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Kennyking1234: 2:17pm On Jul 31, 2021
Nigeria Capitalism is mainly practiced in the church and private schools.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by DesChyko: 2:25pm On Jul 31, 2021
As a teacher, I have to call out the selfishness of the OP.

I doubt the OP is a parent. Else, he'ld have known the many many obligations of a Nigerian parent towards his/her child.

When it's August, how many parents are around to supervise their wards? How many parents can afford a vacation for his/her wards since they won't be chanced to babysit their wards? In this Nigeria still experiencing third world problems of food and shelter, you expect all parents to carefreely take month-long breaks from their vocations?

This is a complete disconnect with the realities that schools are more daycare than academia these days. The recent setting up of child safety units in all schools is further proof of how the school is now as much parenting as it is a teaching community. Almost everything, even when a child fails to wash plates in the morning, gets reported to the school authorities. Even the summer schools incorporate much activities besides class work and use half or less than normal school time.

This complaint should be the other way round. Let parents wake up to their responsibilities; not demonizing the school that provides a necessary alternative. If there is a need for a major revamp to wake parents up to their key responsibilities to their wards, take it up with a concerned Ministry in Nigeria.

I rest my case.

3 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by DesChyko: 2:27pm On Jul 31, 2021
CharisEleos:

It is well.

Lol.. Ask about the public and Federal schools in your home state too. It's about same thing.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by SanctifiedSista(f): 2:28pm On Jul 31, 2021
Come to church tomorrow
And make your kids attend bible school

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by fkj950ax(m): 2:36pm On Jul 31, 2021
The Op is right, but the craze for holiday lessons came from parents who have to be at work and have nobody to watch over the kids, so they devised a plan to have the teachers tutor the kids and do baby sitter duties.

The teachers loved it, as it was extra income for them, and instead of being idle for the holidays, they could work.

The schools then got greedy and wanted the side hustle the teachers were making. I mean, my staff is making money from my clients, and I am just observing. Why not create summer programs and have the staff and the kids make money for me?

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Frezhkid10(m): 2:47pm On Jul 31, 2021
duro4chang:
I partially concur with OP and you..Summer is meant for the children to experience stuff outside the normal educational curriculum and build their hobbies..In the school I own, we don’t do any educational activities during summer holiday rather we engage in teaching the children how to paint,swim,engage in rigorous sport,drama and all sought of fun..it’s in summer we plan our excursions and our inter house sports games..
But many parents are turned off by the price and prefer there children to be taught book and book all through summer in preparation for the next class.

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by NiklauseFred(m): 2:53pm On Jul 31, 2021
LiveLifeHub:

Bro, If we can only stop being self-centered and put into consideration the future of this young ones, knowing the state of labour market in this country.
Schools can still make money by introducing these skills into their curriculum. It shouldn't just be about book, we can still educate them using various methodologies aside the normal classroom routine.
Thanks for your understanding.

I love this
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by LikeAking: 2:53pm On Jul 31, 2021
khadaffi:

When you have kids you can choose to do whatever you like with them. Summer lessons are not compulsory. I'm not aware of any school making it compulsory. I'm even trying to think if I've seen any government school in Benin City conducting summer lessons.

For me during this period I personally teach my kids once in a while though just to know how they're catching up. But most parents are the one requesting for the lesson because of the nature of their job. They usually want somewhere comfortable and safe the child can stay till they return from work.
Once there is demand for a product, the product (service) will be available.

Summer lesson is destructive.

Ok.

But parents should allow their kids play, it will enable them build life skills.

Parents should also make sure their kids learn other skillz.
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by LikeAking: 2:58pm On Jul 31, 2021
SIRTee15:

Except u plan to take them on vacation or other leisure activities....then I see no point locking kids at home for 8 weeks doing nothing.
They might as well go for summer lessons n enjoy social interaction.
It's not like u will even have time for them at home.

Bro there is time for every thing. Holiday is holiday. My kids go flex.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Schools In Lagos Now To Resume On 8th October. / Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. / What's The Toughest Course You Did/you Are Doing In School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.