Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,525 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry (24173 Views)

Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? / . / Can Two People With AS Genotype Marry? (2) (3) (4)

Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by AdeniyiG(m): 12:39pm On Jul 18, 2007
Can a man with AC Genotype marry a woman with SC genotype in which both of them has no physical defficiency
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by naijaborn(m): 4:06pm On Jul 23, 2007
which one is AC nd SC, ?abeg be elaborate for the sake of us wey no go school, cheesy i think av heard of AS nd AS or perhaps,AS nd SS.
yarn me abeg!
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by angel101(f): 11:36am On Jul 24, 2007
Me sef dey wonder o
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by qudrat(f): 11:06pm On Jul 24, 2007
Yes,they can marry each other but they have a quarter chance of having AC and SC carrier child!Note : AA,AS.AC,AS,SC are all genotypes.We have about 75% AA,25%AS,AND 1%SS.The genotype with S or C means a sickle cell carrier,so if an AC and SC marry each other,there a probability of 1 out of 4 kid a sickler cryas sickle cell carriers are called.

Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by dgr8test: 8:03am On Jul 27, 2007
qudrat:

Yes,they can marry each other but they have a quarter chance of having AC and SC carrier child!Note : AA,AS.AC,AS,SC are all genotypes.We have about 75% AA,25%AS,AND 1%SS.The genotype with S or C means a sickle cell carrier,so if an AC and SC marry each other,there a probability of 1 out of 4 kid a sickler cryas sickle cell carriers are called.

sickle-cell hemoglobin C is another variant of sickle cell genotype which is not has common as S and a stronger form of sicke-cell hemoglobin compare to C, sickle cell crises in people with SC is usually not as severe as those with SS. However when an AC marry an SC individual your chance of having a sickle cell patient is 50%, because for every pregnancy you stand the chance of having any of the following genotypes, AS, AC, SC $ CC. Anybody with genotype SC & CC are sickle-cell patient are prone to having crises at anytime.
My candid advice is that DO NOT MARRY because the pain and agony that the patient does go through when they are in crises could lead to death at any age. I have seen a sickle patient that live up to the age of 62, never receive blood transfusion until he develop aplastic crises when the marrow cell suddenly stopped producing red cell. He was given multiple blood transfusion which failed to revive him. cry
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by razdeo: 9:15pm On Jan 02, 2008
I have the blogs on if an AC and SC can intermarry.

What I wanna know right now is what are the effects and consequences of and AS Genotype (Male) marrying and AC Genotype (Female)?

Where can I read more on this.
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by Rola(f): 10:32am On Jun 16, 2008
i have also heard couple of stories too and what they say is AS and AC are not compatible. i'm quite sure this is also applicable to AC and SC. my question is does SC genotype have crisis too.
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by Fagbola1: 8:28pm On Sep 12, 2008
Yes, you can marry, BUT, your chances of having kids with the Sickle Cell Trait is very high. This is a disease that has no cure, (except the Lord God heals), and the mental and physical strain, anguish, stress, energy, excruciating pains are nothing to write home about. SC & AS is a combination not to reckon with when it comes to having kids. So, think twice. Think about the suffering such child will go through. think about your own lives too and what you will go through with the never-ending crisis. It is not worth it. Lastly, with God, nothing is impossible.
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by bemi10: 12:11pm On Oct 14, 2010
Hummm, This topic reminds me of the situation I am in right now that I think of everyday.

I got married 8yrs ago, I am an AS and thought base on a genotype result from a renown hospital in Nigeria that my husband was an AA. I was like 3mths to the wedding when preparations was in top gear that my husband fell ill and just had a routine genotype test that it all came out clear. There was a massive mistake in the earlier test, My husband was actually an AC not AA.

We couldnt cancel the wedding since it was 3mths to come and all intros and engagement had been done. We kept the secret of the latest genotype to ourseleves and went ahead with the wedding.
After the wedding we had to wait 3yrs before I was able to get pregnant. We had the screening test and was lucky with the first child. He was an AC. 3yrs later through assisted fertilisation i was pregnant again, We felt we maybe lucky again but, alas our worst fear, the pregnancy was SC, I had to painfully terminated a 20wks pregnancy, It was very painful thinking of the pain of assisted fert, and the yrs we had to wait but in all we had to take a decision not based on our own selfishness but for the quality of life our baby was going to have. I think of it everyday and just pray to God to have mercy and grant me yet another healthy baby.

I know what it is like to have a sickler celler in the family, I lost my twin sister to it so i knew quite well from an early age that i dare not put my child thru it, Due to a silly stupid mistake by a lab assistant or professional we are in a state that only God can intervene. If you really love and cherish your future, then please if yu have the opportunity plsssssssssss get the test done and if possible do it more than once in different places to confirm it,

God will help us but pls act wisely,

Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by Snowqueen: 10:41am On Oct 17, 2010
Where can someone do genotype test of unborn baby. Can it be done in any lab. How much does it cost.
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by Snowqueen: 11:26pm On Oct 29, 2010
pls where can genotype of an unborn child be done in lagos or ibadan. How much does it cost?
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by Tunsbobo(m): 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2010
Let me share my experience with u guys. My mother's genotype is AS, while my father's genotype is AC. I ended up with SC. In my earlier years, i had slight difficulties with my health; i use to have Rheumatism and Malaria most of the time. But when i reached the age of 13, i rate at which i fell sick started to reduce, by the time i got to 15, i had no problems with my health anymore; though i live on a prescribed health routine; i'm not allowed to eat too much of junk food and food items that contain too much sugar. But Right now, i'm strong and healthy; i'm very plumby, infact 'nothing do me'. All i'm trying to say is that SC is not as severe as SS. People living with genotype SC don't turn out to be sicklers if they are properly taken care of and if they live an healthy lifestyle. As for the woman who aborted her pregnancy because the child's genotype is SC, you made a terrible mistake; you should have held on to that child. I'm not undermining the severity of the SS genotype,(They suffer a lot, and they don't live long); but genotype SC is not as severe as SS. If u have a child with genotype SC, don't loose hope; take proper care of the child and he/she would survive, just like i did! Thanks.

Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by Tunsbobo(m): 12:11pm On Nov 06, 2010
Let me share my experience with u guys. My mother's genotype is AS, while my father's genotype is AC. I ended up with SC. In my earlier years, i had slight difficulties with my health; i use to have Rheumatism and Malaria most of the time. But when i reached the age of 13, i rate at which i fell sick started to reduce, by the time i got to 15, i had no problems with my health anymore; though i live on a prescribed health routine; i'm not allowed to eat too much of junk food and food items that contain too much sugar. But Right now, i'm strong and healthy; i'm very plumby, infact 'nothing do me'. All i'm trying to say is that SC is not as severe as SS. People living with genotype SC don't turn out to be sicklers if they are properly taken care of and if they live an healthy lifestyle. As for the woman who aborted her pregnancy because the child's genotype is SC, you made a terrible mistake; you should have held on to that child. I'm not undermining the severity of the SS genotype,(They suffer a lot, and they don't live long); but genotype SC is not as severe as SS. If u have a child with genotype SC, don't loose hope; take proper care of the child and he/she would survive, just like i did! Thanks.

Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by aodeks: 12:42pm On Mar 30, 2012
Hi All,

To be quite candid, my genotype is also SC...In my first few years, I used to have problem with my health,but now its all changed..I use folic acid on a daily basis..Maybe that is d magic..I do not know but I do know that I dont have "crises" any longer..I am free...So, I believe SC can be well managed and is definitely not bad as people claim SS is...May God help us all...
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by Bukizo(f): 1:01pm On Mar 31, 2012
dgr8test:

sickle-cell hemoglobin C is another variant of sickle cell genotype which is not has common as S and a stronger form of sicke-cell hemoglobin compare to C, sickle cell crises in people with SC is usually not as severe as those with SS. However when an AC marry an SC individual your chance of having a sickle cell patient is 50%, because for every pregnancy you stand the chance of having any of the following genotypes, AS, AC, SC $ CC. Anybody with genotype SC & CC are sickle-cell patient are prone to having crises at anytime.
[/b]My candid advice is that [b]DO NOT MARRY
because the pain and agony that the patient does go through when they are in crises could lead to death at any age. I have seen a sickle patient that live up to the age of 62, never receive blood transfusion until he develop aplastic crises when the marrow cell suddenly stopped producing red cell. He was given multiple blood transfusion which failed to revive him. cry

This post is 4yrz old.
Op, update us pls
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by Psalt(f): 9:23pm On Apr 17, 2013
grin Hello Peeps,I am AC andmy fiance has the AS genotype... We ar Getting married, I hav an SC Friend thAt nauturally looks frail buts is So brainy, intelligent and healthy. Nothin is wrong wit SC. People

Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by sainty2k3(m): 10:53pm On Jun 03, 2013
Psalt: grin Hello Peeps,I am AC andmy fiance has the AS genotype... We ar Getting married, I hav an SC Friend thAt nauturally looks frail buts is So brainy, intelligent and healthy. Nothin is wrong wit SC. People
PLS DO RECONSIDER IT. its not a good idea, save the next generation. manythings are wrong with SC. read through this thread well and google it too.
Re: Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry by EzeUchennaN(m): 5:55am On Jun 04, 2013
Adeniyi G.:
Can a man with AC Genotype marry a woman with SC genotype in which both of them has no physical defficiency

A man with AC genotype and a woman with SC genotype can not marry each other because of the risk of giving birth to a child with sickle cell anaemia(ie SC heterozygote chromosome). This is because SC chromosome contains a S- Sickle and C-chronic alpha and beta heamoglobins. Individuals with SS and SC sanaemic usually have anaemia as a result of sickling of their red blood cells under condition of low oxygen tension and thus, can not survive under such condition. It's not advise for couple to get married because they have 50 per cent chance of giving birth to a child with Sickel Cell Anaemia(SC).

For more genetic counseling, contact me on 08103058409.
Best Regards,
Eze Uchenna N(B.Sc.,Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics)

Addicted To Coca-Cola / Between Federal Medical Center And Teaching Hospital, Which Is Higher Ranked?? / Where Residents Of Anguwar Bakaro, Bauchi Fetch Drinking Water