Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,540 members, 7,955,004 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:14 PM

Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning (1435 Views)

Nigeria’ll Disintegrate If Uwazuruike Is Arrested – MASSOB / No Part Of Nigeria’ll Be Used As Experimental Terror State –FG / I Am A Victim Of June 12 -IBB Says In Exclusive Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by koruji(m): 2:50am On May 16, 2011

Renewed agitations on zoning has vindicated me - IBB •Says Nigeria’ll be doomed without zoning

Written by Idowu Samuel, Abuja Monday, 16 May 2011

Former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, at the weekend, said he had finally been vindicated on his position on zoning of national political offices, moreso by the renewed controversy over zoning of national political offices less than a month after the general election in country.

He said his clamour for zoning of federal powers had finally been vindicated by recent events as, according to him, failure of the powers that be in Nigeria to heed his suggestion on zoning had started creating a backlash through renewed agitations on zoning among the country’s ethnic groups.

He, however, denied a news report associating him with interest in the chairmanship position of the Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), describing the report as untrue.

The former military president said he found it unbelievable that those who had been kicking against zoning had suddenly turned beneficiaries of the concept within a short period of time.

He said, “If those who shouted hoax over the issue of zoning in the PDP yesterday, (saying as it were, that the party’s constitution should be jettisoned), are now made to be beneficiaries of zoning in the party today, then we all are doomed as a nation.”

There had been heated controversy on the issue of zoning of the office of Senate President, House of Representatives Speaker, the PDP national chairman, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Deputy Senate President and that of the House of Representatives by the National Caucus of PDP.

Babangida said he found it painful to arrive at a conclusion that the calibre and quality of those who have emerged to hold political offices at the highest level in Nigeria were not strong enough, stating pointedly, “the nation may just have to wait for another generation to get things right.”

Babangida said he had not altered his view on zoning, and did not intend doing so, just as he expressed shock about “Nigerians’ ingenuous capacity to make a 360-degree U-turn on the issue of zoning”.

He said, “when the Northern Political Leaders’ Forum raised concerns over the zoning formula of the PDP and the deliberate disobedience of that constitutional provision, some Nigerians called the body all manner of names. While some argued that zoning should be discarded and merit should be the subsisting criteria, the voice of those who stressed the importance of zoning was lost in the maddening crowd. After the elections, the music has suddenly changed and the chorus is now zoning, zoning, zoning and zoning. How time heals.”

In a statement issued on his behalf by his media consultant, Kazeem Sule Afegbua, Babangida said he was of the view that that those who aspire to lead Nigeria at different levels of government must come out with certain qualities that will portray them as patriotic and nationalistic.

He accused the antagonists of zoning of hypocrisy, averring, “there will be no hope for the country if those who double-speak are made to preside over certain levels of government in the name of dubious politicking and zoning which they never believed in.”

He added, “the character indices of our leaders must be known at different times and levels. Their elements must be visible and patriotic. Their conduct must be above pecuniary interest. And above all, their desperation must be checked within the ambit of law.

“What manner of supposed leaders are we nurturing? What character of leaders are we building? How do we want the world to perceive us as a people? Those who advertise hypocrisy and self-righteous indignation cannot by any stretch of imagination be allowed to occupy positions in the name of zoning.

“General Babangida’s position on zoning has not wavered. As a product of a multi-ethnic and multi-religious society, with different tribes and tongues, he believes in the efficacy of zoning as a stabilising instrument of political engagement. Those who shy away from such incontrovertible political requirement to put paid to all cries of marginalisation cannot simply wake up overnight to be beneficiaries of what they never believed in. In a democracy, we should learn to play by the rules no matter how painful it might be and no matter whose ox is gored.

And lastly, General IBB does not have any interest in the chairmanship of the PDP Board of Trustees, whether now or in the foreseeable future,the statement added.
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/22020-renewed-agitations-on-zoning-has-vindicated-me-ibb-says-nigeriall-be-doomed-without-zoning
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by CrudeOil2(m): 2:55am On May 16, 2011
IBB you are not vindicated, you are still the corrupt criminal that ruined Nigeria.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Beaf: 3:51am On May 16, 2011
There is a very big gulf between IBB's understanding of zoning and what PDP is practising.

IBB's definition of zoning is due to his poor command of English. He has misunderstood balancing of political power between regions and religions as being the same as power rotation. NOT!

GEJ explained PDP's zoning long ago. After the President and VP have been elected, then the offices under them are balanced across the country. Simple.
Zoning is not rotation.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Eziachi: 11:32am On May 16, 2011
Beaf:

There is a very big gulf between IBB's understanding of zoning and what PDP is practising.

IBB's definition of zoning is due to his poor command of English. He has misunderstood balancing of political power between regions and religions as being the same as power rotation. NOT!

GEJ explained PDP's zoning long ago. After the President and VP have been elected, then the offices under them are balanced across the country. Simple.
Zoning is not rotation.
God! I really wonder how people like you sleep at night as you try to convince yourself that electric power is the same as candlelight Those that double speak will have their tongue eaten by termite one day.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Beaf: 12:15pm On May 16, 2011
Eziachi:

God! I really wonder how people like you sleep at night as you try to convince yourself that electric power is the same as candlelight Those that double speak will have their tongue eaten by termite one day.

Dude, Babangida was not priviledged to attend proper school, so he is excused for his mental shabiness, but you on the other hand cannot be excused.
Check the dictionery definitions of the words zoning and rotation.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Johndoe100(m): 2:23am On May 17, 2011
Beaf:

Dude, Babangida was not priviledged to attend proper school, so he is excused for his mental shabiness, but you on the other hand cannot be excused.

Why should he be excused, he is s much an illiterate as IBB.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Eziachi: 2:25pm On May 17, 2011
Beaf:

I think you have become a prisoner of some follow-follow ideology, hence you had yourself boxed into a box, forcing you to defend the indefensible, trying hard all the time to justify your ideological stance irrespective of how irrationaal. That is why I always advise people to tow the line reality rather than ideology in their course of life, especially in our unpredicable fast changing world.

Your blind folloership of Mr Jonathan has made you a prisoner of your own conscience and that concience now is telling you that if ever you had to disagree with anything Jonathan, you had sinned. I don't envy you at all, especially with such a blind loyalty to a Nigerian politician of all persons. It will only end in disappointment, heartache and tears.

GEJ is president today because along with others like him in PDP said to the world that merit is the word from now on, anything called zoning, rotation or quota as long as governance is concerned is now dead and buried. Then Southerners like yourself became apostles of zoning is dead syndrome. And I said then that though I don't like zoning , rotation or whatever how you want to dress it myself as a way of choosing a serving leadership, still those calling for the burial of zoning are not sincere and if they stick with it, they will come to regret because it was based on short term political gain and opportunism.

Those on the side of zoning like IBB are also doing it not for the love of nation but for selfish reasons but still the morality of the arguement was on their side. So how come immediatly after the election when merit should now take its place, the main beneficiary of zoning is dead syndrome(GEJ) is not talking about zoning or rotation and IBB like other northerners has reason raise some questions. Someone like Ogbulafor who was kicked out and disgraced as PDP chairman because of positive stance towards zoning has reason to feel slighted.

And now to justifty the new 360 degrees change, you had to educate us on rotation and zoning?

This is why I don't believe in Nigeria and never will, because a nation where people double talk at will and no question is asked, not even from among the so called citizens.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Eziachi: 2:29pm On May 17, 2011
Johndoe100:

Why should he be excused, he is s much an illiterate as IBB.
Irrespective of being an illiterate, I still can idenitfy the right and the wrong. Something educated brain box like yourself should do well to emulate. There is more to life than degrees and its associated accorlades.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by EkoIle1: 2:34pm On May 17, 2011
Eziachi:

I think you have become a prisoner of some follow-follow ideology, hence you had yourself boxed into a box, forcing you to defend the indefensible, trying hard all the time to justify your ideological stance irrespective of how irrationaal. That is why I always advise people to tow the line reality rather than ideology in their course of life, especially in our unpredicable fast changing world.

Your blind folloership of Mr Jonathan has made you a prisoner of your own conscience and that concience now is telling you that if ever you had to disagree with anything Jonathan, you had sinned. I don't envy you at all, especially with such a blind loyalty to a Nigerian politician of all persons. It will only end in disappointment, heartache and tears.

GEJ is president today because along with others like him in PDP said to the world that merit is the word from now on, anything called zoning, rotation or quota as long as governance is concerned is now dead and buried. Then Southerners like yourself became apostles of zoning is dead syndrome. And I said then that though I don't like zoning , rotation or whatever how you want to dress it myself as a way of choosing a serving leadership, still those calling for the burial of zoning are not sincere and if they stick with it, they will come to regret because it was based on short term political gain and opportunism.

Those on the side of zoning like IBB are also doing it not for the love of nation but for selfish reasons but still the morality of the arguement was on their side. So how come immediatly after the election when merit should now take its place, the main beneficiary of zoning is dead syndrome(GEJ) is not talking about zoning or rotation and IBB like other northerners has reason raise some questions. Someone like Ogbulafor who was kicked out and disgraced as PDP chairman because of positive stance towards zoning has reason to feel slighted.

And now to justifty the new 360 degrees change, you had to educate us on rotation and zoning?

This is why I don't believe in Nigeria and never will, because a nation where people double talk at will and no question is asked, not even from among the so called citizens.

Well said, but you do realize that GEJ is basically a figure head and puppet on a string getting jacked around by other forces within the PDP including IBB himself right?
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 17, 2011
It is IBB's bleached ass that is doomed
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Akanbiedu(m): 4:01pm On May 17, 2011
Eziachi:

I bet beef will not return to this thread.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 17, 2011
IBB is right. We need zoning in Nigeria to feed our tribalististic stomachs. Why should zoning be stopped when the federal character clause is constitutional?
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by kasiem(m): 6:59pm On May 17, 2011
There is no way that any sane man can come out and tell us that zoning is not required in nigeria, with all the tribalistic differences attached to our natural instincts. The most credible person in nigeria can never rule this country without making his tribe or region priority, cos charity begins at home. The only truth that any pragmatic person can tell us is that any zone that gets the slot should come out with the best candidate. Why are some of us the pro-gej trying to drain the truth, cos we feel that we're on favored side? Let the truth be said! Without zoning, no southerner will ever taste that exalted seat, cos the population of the northerners will always tell.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by ektbear: 11:13pm On May 20, 2011
hrm
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by lucabrasi(m): 11:59pm On May 20, 2011
as much as i dont like the man he is totally right on the issue of zoning,it is needed for the continued unity of nigeria at least till our democracy becomes unshakeable
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by koruji(m): 5:49am On May 21, 2011
You guys are missing the point completely. Zoning has never served Nigeria and it never will. Let me tell you what zoning is.

Zoning is the strawman for the incompetence of our so-called strong men. Whenever someone is about to call their bluff they scare the rest of the nation with their "sky-is-falling" cry.

Nigeria is setup wrong in any case. As a result, with or without zoning, we will keep failing at nation-building. The only ones who really has anything to lose from lack of zoning under this system are the likes of IBB,OBJ and the other selfish-goons among us.

The real question is what has ZONING done for Nigeria's masses over the last 12 years.

Nigeria needs to be re-made - otherwise it will never work. Never You ask. Never Ever!!!

J12:

IBB is right. We need zoning in Nigeria to feed our tribalististic stomachs. Why should zoning be stopped when the federal character clause is constitutional? 

kasiem:

There is no way that any sane man can come out and tell us that zoning is not required in nigeria, with all the tribalistic differences attached to our natural instincts. The most credible person in nigeria can never rule this country without making his tribe or region priority, cos charity begins at home. The only truth that any pragmatic person can tell us is that any zone that gets the slot should come out with the best candidate. Why are some of us the pro-gej trying to drain the truth, cos we feel that we're on favored side? Let the truth be said! Without zoning, no southerner will ever taste that exalted seat, cos the population of the northerners will always tell.

lucabrasi:

as much as i dont like the man he is totally right on the issue of zoning,it is needed for the continued unity of nigeria at least till our democracy becomes unshakeable
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by koruji(m): 2:56pm On May 21, 2011
Zoning - Definition:

Deciding which part of a thoroughly rotten meat crawling with maggots each region will eat.

It doesn't matter anyway, you are all going to get seriously sick from that meat.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by lucabrasi(m): 6:35am On May 25, 2011
you seem to forget the peculiar nature of the country we are talking about,nigeria is a country where tribal/ethnic distrusts transcends the individual's qualification on every level you can think of and if somehow this is not factored in the scheme of things then the break up of nigeria is being risked
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Mynd44: 2:13pm On May 25, 2011
Hmm
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 25, 2011
Let me laf in Igbo first.

Fact is:
Nigeria is doomed with or without zoning!
You know why? We are different nations forced to live together under one name. We have never been one, we are not one and we are not going to be one.

At least, not with the Jihardists going on rampage slaughtering men, women and children in a manner less dignified than their cows.

Just two days ago, the Tivs in Benue and bailing out the pool of blood left by those blood thirsty monsters. Nigeria is joke.
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by seanet02: 6:24pm On May 25, 2011
Yeah Nigeria is doomed without the zoning of the state treasury to IBB
Re: Ibb Says Nigeria’ll Be Doomed W/o Zoning - More Like Ibb & Pdp Doomed W/o Zoning by T9ksy(m): 6:34pm On May 25, 2011
noblezone:

Let me laf in Igbo first.

Fact is:
Nigeria is doomed with or without zoning!
You know why? We are different nations forced to live together under one name. We have never been one, we are not one and we are not going to be one.

At least, not with the Jihardists going on rampage slaughtering men, women and children in a manner less dignified than their cows.

Just two days ago, the Tivs in Benue and bailing out the pool of blood left by those blood thirsty monsters. Nigeria is joke.

And who wanted us to live as one?
Ans= Zik . . . . whilst Awo and the sardunna argued against it.

We had regional govt until that mofo called Ironsi came on the scene and gave centralised govt.

(1) (Reply)

The Greatest Honor History Can Bestow On Man Is The Title Of Peacemaker? / Kogi Gov: All States Can Afford To Pay N18,000 / David Mark,senators And Reps May Be Taken To International Criminal Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.