Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,044 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

5 Most Common Mistakes You Make In Your Job Search - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Most Common Mistakes You Make In Your Job Search (417 Views)

Common Mistakes When Accepting Offer Letters By Rita Babalola / 5 Job Hunting Mistakes You Should Avoid In 2020 / Top Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Most Common Mistakes You Make In Your Job Search by ReventifyCV: 9:44am On Aug 02, 2021
I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “Looking for a job, is a job”. Sometimes this is true and sometimes it is not. In my opinion, you can reduce the amount of time you spend searching for a job if you have an effective strategy laid out. I would be sharing some insights on what mistakes you’re making that reduces your chances of ever landing a great job. Remember, most jobs that you’re highly interested in, have potentially a few more hundred candidates competing for the same position and how you demonstrate your value proposition from the details in your Curriculum Vita (CV) to the Interview Stages increases or decreases the interest the prospective employer has for you. Hence, it is vital to your job search success that you avoid these common mistakes:

1. The same CV for ALL your Job Applications:
This is definitely the most common mistake that job seekers make. On a fundamental level, your CV is your professional profile and body of work, so I can understand why you may feel it’s unnecessary to tweak it to multiple job applications if most of the information in the CV is relatively going to be the same.Your CV should showcase that you have the skills, experience and necessary qualifications for the job you’ve applied for. Hence, If other candidates present this information better than you, you’ve lost an opportunity to speak to the Hiring Manager or proceed to the interview stage.Trust me, reviewing CVs are boring and Hiring Managers, especially those in large companies are not going to spend a lot of time talking to someone with a generic CV that hardly meets the minimum requirements. Therefore, spend a few mins reviewing what the job description and requirements states first and subsequently, review if you meet those requirements. If so, tailor your CV to the Job. This is the core reason why Reventify exists today; helping career professionals like yourself sell themselves better to company’s they really want to work in.
If you are an expert in a particular domain and you plan on only applying to jobs in your particular field and similar companies that you’ve worked for in the past, then you may not necessarily need multiple CVs. An interesting Cover Letter detailing why you want to change from your current company and what you bring to the table can do the trick in moving you to the interview stage. From my experience, this mostly happens to Senior & C-Suite professionals that are looking to switch roles and careers, and in those instances, your network is likely more important than what your CV states.

2. Skipping Interview Preparation:
You’re at the interview stage because you meet the minimum requirements, now, show the hiring manager that you’re the man or woman for the job. For a number of the applications that you would be applying for, there’s only space for one. Why go through the stress of applying and writing tests just to blow it up at the interview stage. Do some research on the company and if you can’t find much, network with key employees on LinkedIn and if that proves to be also difficult, look at their industry and find out about their competitors or companies they are disrupting. What is important is for you to walk into that first interview and tell them something that makes them feel good. Because that is how you would get remembered.

3. Leaving out Recruiters in the Job Search Process
It’s either job seekers don’t know the importance of building a good relationship with recruiters or they just disregard such advice. Recruiters are hired by mid-size to large firms to help find specific candidates fast, hence, it is important for recruiters to have a decent list of possible candidates in their database. A lot of these recruiters specialize by sectors or by experience level, therefore, you may need to conduct a bit of research on the area of specialty before engaging in any career-related discussions.One of the additional benefits of having a recruiter on your side is that they could always link you to opportunities that may not be advertised online and these types of jobs usually have less competition and are tailored specifically for someone with your profile. Whilst it is your responsibility to find out about the culture of any organization you would like to apply to, recruiters could help give you insights based on their experience interacting with people of that organization.

4. 4. Cleaning up your Social Media
Have you heard the term, “dress how you want to be addressed”? I’m sure you have. You may not know this, but a lot of companies now conduct social media background checks at the point where they are interested in having further conversations with a job candidate. I know you might consider your social media page private and it surely has nothing to do with whether you can do a job or not, unfortunately, your opinion doesn’t count much when it comes to the job selection stage. The hiring manager has a view and without knowing you personally, would likely judge what they see based on your social media pages. At the end of the day, the decision is yours but I’m not sure that a Deloitte HR Manager might be keen on meeting you after seeing some weed smoking in your Instagram profile pictures.

5. Not knowing much about your future Boss
This is a really big one. I’ll never take a job without having to first meet with my potential future boss. For those of us that have been working for a very long time, you know the importance of having an amazing boss. Who you report to and the overall department manager, if not the same person, has a direct relationship with your career development and happiness in the firm. You would learn a lot from having someone that treats you well, provide you with great opportunities to learn and be challenged, and is willing to support your advancement in the company. We spend too much time at the office not to care about the people we work with. That type of energy makes us less productive and usually, we start to drawback. During the interview process, it’s important to ask who you would be reporting to and before you accept the job offer, make sure to learn a bit about the person. How does this person like to work? Is this potential boss someone that gives autonomy or likes to micromanage? Do you think you would mesh well with the person’s personality? You may not have all the answers you seek during the job interview process, but with a bit of research externally, you can make a good decision.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Mistakes You Make In Your Job Search by JohnasI: 7:04am On Nov 02, 2021
Great tips guys. I think they will come in handy for beginners looking for their first job. My mistake was that I, basically, was guided by the recommendations of my friends, I contacted the companies in which they work. This is great, but then I found out that there are good job services like
[url=https://ca.jooble.org/jobs/Steinbach%2C-MB]this site[/url] , where there are a lot of vacancies. It greatly improved my chances of finding a job.
Re: 5 Most Common Mistakes You Make In Your Job Search by oriso47: 7:53pm On Mar 13, 2022
Please I will like to make enquiries on the recruitment stages at Deloitte and things to expect during the the interview

(1) (Reply)

Computer Software Developer/programmer Needed Urgently / Loan / Urgent Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.