Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,452 members, 7,823,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) (537 Views)

Jesus And The Fig Tree By Bashir Lucas Samson Lukman / The Fig Tree Parable, COVID 19 And The Imminent Return Of Jesus / Lesson From RCCG Kidnapped Deaconess, Ibelegbo Chidinma: Depend On God Alone! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by Dangerousboy(m): 3:21am On Aug 04, 2021
A LESSON FROM THE FIG TREE ( THE POWER OF WORDS)

Mark.11.21 - And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

A recent IKEA publicity stunt was aimed to portray the impact of positive and negative words on the growth of plants. The experiment was carried on various plants, the 30 day trial produced some fascinating results.

Two plants were placed in the same setting, one was played voice recordings of comfort and complimentary words, the other was constantly abused by harsh words.

After 30 days were finished, the bullied plant showed unmistakable signs of wilting, while the complimented plant seemed to flourish.

Never underestimate the power of Words when spoken over a period of time. They are spirit and they can impart life or death. Prov 18:21

1 Like

Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by ponziponzi(m): 3:43am On Aug 04, 2021
Dangerousboy:
A LESSON FROM THE FIG TREE ( THE POWER OF WORDS)

Mark.11.21 - And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

A recent IKEA publicity stunt was aimed to portray the impact of positive and negative words on the growth of plants. The experiment was carried on various plants, the 30 day trial produced some fascinating results.

Two plants were placed in the same setting, one was played voice recordings of comfort and complimentary words, the other was constantly abused by harsh words.

After 30 days were finished, the bullied plant showed unmistakable signs of wilting, while the complimented plant seemed to flourish.

Never underestimate the power of Words when spoken over a period of time. They are spirit and they can impart life or death. Prov 18:21

Another bullsh.it story. Holy Sh.it
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by Dangerousboy(m): 4:01am On Aug 04, 2021
ponziponzi:

Another bullsh.it story. Holy Sh.it
before you bullshit my message and the word of God, pls go and do your research on the above story and the power of words. Mr Ponzi
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by ponziponzi(m): 5:03am On Aug 04, 2021
Dangerousboy:
before you bullshit my message and the word of God, pls go and do your research on the above story and the power of words. Mr Ponzi

Funny. How do you know it is the word of God? How do you even know what God says? And how on earth will someone even begin to research the type of claim in Mark 11:21?

It's a nice story
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by Dangerousboy(m): 6:47am On Aug 04, 2021
ponziponzi:

Funny. How do you know it is the word of God? How do you even know what God says? And how on earth will someone even begin to research the type of claim in Mark 11:21?

It's a nice story
Spiritual realities are real. Jesus' hands are always open to receive you.
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by ponziponzi(m): 2:03pm On Aug 04, 2021
Dangerousboy:
Spiritual realities are real. Jesus' hands are always open to receive you.

How do you know?
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by eomajeh: 4:06pm On Aug 04, 2021
People (christians especially) relate this story of jesus cursing the fig tree as the prime example of there being power in words.

However, when i look at the story, i see something else. The lesson that jumps out to me is that jesus was either ignorant and stupid, or a power-drunk.
Jesus approached a fig tree and seeing that there were not fruits on it, he proceeded to curse the tree. the verse makes it clear that it was not the season for fruits. If jesus expected to see fruit in a fig tree when it is not the season for figs, then he was ignorant or stupid.
If he did know that it is not the season for figs, but still went ahead to curse the tree, then he is just a power drunk who abused his power.
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by Dangerousboy(m): 4:40pm On Aug 04, 2021
ponziponzi:

How do you know?
because he loves you unconditionally
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by sholay2011(m): 4:44pm On Aug 04, 2021
eomajeh:
People (christians especially) relate this story of jesus cursing the fig tree as the prime example of there being power in words.

However, when i look at the story, i see something else. The lesson that jumps out to me is that jesus was either ignorant and stupid, or a power-drunk.
Jesus approached a fig tree and seeing that there were not fruits on it, he proceeded to curse the tree. the verse makes it clear that it was not the season for fruits. If jesus expected to see fruit in a fig tree when it is not the season for figs, then he was ignorant or stupid.
If he did know that it is not the season for figs, but still went ahead to curse the tree, then he is just a power drunk who abused his power.
Hello. You've clearly got it wrong. My Lord Jesus is neither ignorant nor stupid. Actually, He is the wisdom and power of God.

Let me now explain what is the lesson from the fig tree Jesus cursed. The story of the cursed fig tree is first found in Matthew 21:18-19. But Mark 11:12-14 gives a more detailed account. In summary, Jesus Christ cursed a fig tree because while He was hungry, this fig tree had no fruits. The shocking thing is the Mark account stated it was not even the season for figs! It almost appears Jesus was 'unfair' to the fig tree. But Hebrews 4:15 says our Lord Jesus was without sin. So, what really happened here?

A research online stated that fig trees generally go dormant and drop (or shed) their leaves when they are outside their season. But the fig tree in Mark 11 had lots of leaves, outside its season, giving a false impression (in short, deception) that there might be fruits on it, whereas there was none. Hence, the judgment from Jesus. Jesus wants us to come the way we truly are, not present a deceptive picture of ourselves. And whenever we present a deceptive picture, He will always find out, and pronounce judgment.

We should remember this same Jesus was the Keeper of the vineyard in the Luke 13:6-9 parable, pleading with the Owner (God the Father) to not cut down a fig tree that had been barren, never produced fruit in 3 years, both in season and out of season. The fig tree's state sounds worse than the one in mark 11, but it was open to its keeper. The Keeper pleaded with the Owner for 1 more year while He fertilizes it, the same way Jesus is seated at the right hand of the father interceding for us as our Advocate (1 John 2:1).

Jesus Christ does not like Christians with lots of leaves with no fruits. They give a false sense of spirituality. They are hypocritical and pretentious. No matter how broken we are, He wants us to come just the way we are to Him, with a repentant heart. He would rather have you cold like the totally barren fig tree or have you hot like a fruitful fig tree in its season. But not the one that uses leaves to give a false impression that it is different from others.

One major lesson here is HYPOCRISY.

1 Like

Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by ponziponzi(m): 5:12pm On Aug 04, 2021
Dangerousboy:
because he loves you unconditionally

How do you know? and I would I know this?
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by Dangerousboy(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2021
ponziponzi:

How do you know? and I would I know this?
john 3:16. I believe him, I believe his word. Just the way you believe your date of birth without being there when you were born. Sir.
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by eomajeh: 6:52pm On Aug 04, 2021
You've clearly got it wrong. My Lord Jesus is neither ignorant nor stupid. Actually, He is the wisdom and power of God.

Sorry, I sincerely didn't mean to tear into your Lord and Saviour.
However:
If I do not know the season of oranges, and I am disappointed at not seeing a ripe orange fruit on an orange tree, then I am ignorant.
If I know the season of oranges, and i am disappointed at not seeing a ripe orange fruit on an orange tree when it is not the season of oranges, then i am a stupid person.
If I understand how orange seasons work, but i'm still vexed with the tree for not having a ripe orange fruit for me when off-season, and I order that it be chopped down, then I am abusing my powers.

A research online stated that fig trees generally go dormant and drop (or shed) their leaves when they are outside their season. But the fig tree in Mark 11 had lots of leaves, outside its season, giving a false impression (in short, deception) that there might be fruits on it, whereas there was none

Yes, fig trees shed leaves, like all trees do. However, this does not mean that trees are without leaves when off season. A simple look into fig tree life cycle (or that of any other tree for that matter) makes this clear.

This "having leaves = false impression" narrative is just a lame attempt to justify a jesus' action in that account. It's a case of "it is jesus, he cannot be wrong. If he cursed the tree, no matter how crazy it appears to us, he must be right".

Don't go into the "the tree tried to deceive jesus" narrative. It's laughable.
Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by Dangerousboy(m): 7:51pm On Aug 04, 2021
eomajeh:

Sorry, I sincerely didn't mean to tear into your Lord and Saviour.
However:
If I do not know the season of oranges, and I am disappointed at not seeing a ripe orange fruit on an orange tree, then I am ignorant.
If I know the season of oranges, and i am disappointed at not seeing a ripe orange fruit on an orange tree when it is not the season of oranges, then i am a stupid person.
If I understand how orange seasons work, but i'm still vexed with the tree for not having a ripe orange fruit for me when off-season, and I order that it be chopped down, then I am abusing my powers.

Yes, fig trees shed leaves, like all trees do. However, this does not mean that trees are without leaves when off season. A simple look into fig tree life cycle (or that of any other tree for that matter) makes this clear.

This "having leaves = false impression" narrative is just a lame attempt to justify a jesus' action in that account. It's a case of "it is jesus, he cannot be wrong. If he cursed the tree, no matter how crazy it appears to us, he must be right".

Don't go into the "the tree tried to deceive jesus" narrative. It's laughable.

a carnal mind cannot comprehend spiritual realities because they are spiritually discerned. Jesus cursed the fig tree for illustrative purpose. You can see it in Mark 11:12-24. And why are you so particular about him cursing a fig tree? How about how he fed the hungry, gave sight to the blind, raise the dead, turned water to win?

1 Like

Re: A Lesson From The Fig Tree ( The Power Of Words) by Dangerousboy(m): 6:39am On Aug 05, 2021
Hallelujah

(1) (Reply)

Who Are The Elect? / You Don’t Have A Soul, Doctor. You Are A Soul. You Have A Body Temporarily . / Why Didn't God Tell Pastor Enenche About Osinachi's Situation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.