Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Please I Need Your Help/advice. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please I Need Your Help/advice. (630 Views)

Please Help Advice Us / Pls Help Advice Needed / Please Nairalanders I Need Help/advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Your Help/advice. by CRISPRcas9: 5:45pm On Aug 04, 2021
Good evening. I'm a 20 year old university aspirant, who just took part in the just concluded jamb examination and got a good score. The issue I seem to have is that I don't really know what to study.
I'm pretty good(very good) at Mathematics, further Mathematics, physics and chemistry and I chose computer engineering in my jamb form. But the issue here is that the degree is a 5 year degree, plus one year of nysc and ASUU strikes coupled with other unforseen circumstances; this means I'll likely be graduating at the age of 28 from university which is what I don't want. I really want to leave school early and looks for means to emigrate to saner clines.
So a five year degree is a no for me. I've been thinking of doing computer science but I don't really want to major in that as a first degree. I prefer to self study it and maybe later in life; go for it. So my options now are:
Mathematics;
Industrial physics;
Or computer science.
I'm thinking of majoring in industrial physics and learn software engineering with it while in school by self studying some relevant computer science courses on my own (data structure, algorithm, compiler theory, etc).
I just need some elderly advice.
Cc: Karleb tensanzangetsu20 stanliwise

Mynd44 lalasticlala oam4j seun mukina obinoscopy please help me take this thread to frontpage. Help a student please.
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by Ynix(m): 5:51pm On Aug 04, 2021
CRISPRcas9:
Good evening. I'm a 20 year old university aspirant, who just took part in the just concluded jamb examination and got a good score. The issue I seem to have is that I don't really know what to study.
I'm pretty good(very good) at Mathematics, further Mathematics, physics and chemistry and I chose computer engineering in my jamb form. But the issue here is that the degree is a 5 year degree, plus one year of nysc and ASUU strikes coupled with other unforseen circumstances; this means I'll likely be graduating at the age of 28 from university which is what I don't want. I really want to leave school early and looks for means to emigrate to saner clines.
So a five year degree is a no for me. I've been thinking of doing computer science but I don't really want to major in that as a first degree. I prefer to self study it and maybe later in life; go for it. So my options now are:
Mathematics;
Industrial physics;
Or computer science.
I'm thinking of majoring in industrial physics and learn software engineering with it while in school by self studying some relevant computer science courses on my own (data structure, algorithm, compiler theory, etc).
Cc: Karleb tensanzangetsu20 Gerrard59 stanliwise
I understand your pain, but if I should advise you don't live your life based on the fear of tomorrow, instead create your own future
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 04, 2021
At least you have a goal.
Forget the strike, it's like a follow-come battery. You should look up courses that have to do with numbers as you will find them challengingly fun.
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by Gerrard59(m): 6:04pm On Aug 04, 2021
CRISPRcas9:
Mathematics;
Industrial physics;
Or computer science.
stanliwise

If you really want to practice coding outside your academic program, then opt for Mathematics since you know it. It's preferable you study a course that relates to what you're self studying esp as you know the basics involved. If you hadn't known maths, I'd have recommended you study Psychology or Guidance and Counselling, something easy to scale through while self studying coding.

I'm glad you adhered to my suggestion of never spending five years (excluding ASUU and internal crises o) when your intended career academic program can be done in four years. Also, you have plans of fleeing Nigeria, so the earlier you leave the university system, the better.

In whatever you choose, don't choose a course whose duration is five years when there are alternatives which are four years and would lead you to the same destination.

P.S. Please edit my moniker out from your post. You can mention others in another post. This is because should this thread make front page, the mentions would be a lot as Nairalanders will quote it.
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by chatinent: 6:07pm On Aug 04, 2021
Invest in learning a skill then.
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by stanliwise(m): 7:36pm On Aug 04, 2021
CRISPRcas9:
Mathematics;
Industrial physics;
Or computer science.

Mynd44 lalasticlala oam4j seun mukina obinoscopy please help me take this thread to frontpage. Help a student please.
First thing first I would like to point out is your age insecurity,
By five years time and after NYSC you would be 28, well how do I start?
28 and with a degree isn't a bad age but the reality is quite different,
you're focused on this age issue majorly because the contrast is so so clear to notice. Most of your pairs are younger, teens and you seem to always stand out when it comes to school matter. This same situation make you feel awkward and you just wish you could be younger.

Everyone has one insecurity or another, but the fact is you have to learn how those insecurity should not stop you, insecurity is something you live with and learn about, the more mature you get in mind, the less of insecurity will flee but to become mature, you need to work with those insecurity, for now stop talking about your age when you think about your goals.

I know you think about alot and every single young guy around you, gives you a one thousand and one reason to think about how you are on same age with where you're currently but the reality is that you can't change anything about it and neither can your age stop you from graduating and become successful.

Meanwhile after school your age will matter less except in cases in employment but that is if you allow it, if you graduate with good grades and you have practical skill, no single CEO would consider your age to give you what you want to get the job done for him/her.

In conclusion why you think about your age and learn about the wobbly feeling before you get to your a mature mindset. Stop putting your age in consideration in anything you plan to do.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by stanliwise(m): 7:57pm On Aug 04, 2021
CRISPRcas9:
Mathematics;
Industrial physics;
Or computer science.

In my last response, I concluded that as from now you should stop using your age in critical consideration on future plan except it becomes necessary but as for now interms of what you plan to study, don't, it aint necessary. And learn to live and understand where your age insecurity steps in...

Now back to your choice of study. Every courses you choice are basically pure science courses and there is no simple reason why shouldn't go for engineering or even whatever courses you like, stop placing age limitation on yourself. No one did this to you, so stop doing this to yourself. Mental slavery is real and the repercussion are deadly.

So in other words your science course and engineering courses are exceedingly valid if you stop placing limitation around yourself out of age insecurity and future thoughts that has no bearing.

For now think of it like this, all courses mentioned above, as much as you're serious minded and you have the sufficient background which from what you mentioned ( you actually do). it means you can be successful in all the field. Now all courses you're seeing are plagued with same one problem, lack of job after employment, it ain't the case for everyone but no one knows who can be lucky. So for now you need to get into school for:

1. Love of knowledge and understanding
2. Passion
3. Personal development and increased self worth
4. Widen your employment opportunities

Going for something else other than the above could simple tilt towards hallucinations, but I will personally advise you to follow no. 3 although 1 too but not everyone are deeply interested. 2 needs no motivation, it is a personal decision and 4 is simply the reality.

So start setting your expectation right and start straightening your mindset to start living a quality life, let life start having meaning beyond pettiness or age insecurity and the next job. you're only going to get stuck in the present because of future you haven't seen. I mean start focusing on personal development and increasing self worth, start trying to learn how to the world works and how reality works rather than focusing on just ASUU strike and the likes. Grow your mindset

If you're also needing to earn or you're finding independent life, I will advise you to use any space or time you have to learn something that can solve people problems, it doesn't have to be a name, as much as it doesn't involve illegal act. but please let it be something that is skilled enough that you don't have to be tied to a company or an employee to execute.

Avoid factory works, menial jobs, front desk or any work that you can be easily replaceable. instead learn things like buying/selling, barbing, painting, shoe making, making peanuts, sewing etc

See you later.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by Karleb(m): 7:58pm On Aug 04, 2021
I actually like that you think this way for your age.

Since your interest is in software development, then the course to study is Computer Science, not Computer Engineering or any other courses.

The social media try to present learning programming as easy and I guess that's why you said you'd learn it on the side.

Programming is not easy and if you choose any of the courses you listed there except Computer Science, there is a high probability that you might even drop the idea of becoming a software developer.

None of the courses you listed is easy, none would give you the time. I tell you this as a graduate of Biochemistry.

As an undergraduate, we did a lot of 8 - 4s/5s, extra classes, evening classes and all those.
Mathematics and Physics are in faculty of science and I can tell you that they were as busy as us.

So bro, opt for computer science where you will be forced to learn what you are passionate about.

Edit

I noticed your username is CRISPRCAS9.

I remember when I had to learn to draw the CRISPRCAS pathway. Bad old days. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:19pm On Aug 04, 2021
Op please go for computer science. What karleb said is true. Learning programming while studying a pure science or engineering course is very tough. I did marine engineering and even if I knew about the tech industry I wouldn't be able to teach myself coding as I was always busy. We had lectures everyday 8 to 6 sometimes we could have lectures to 9pm sef. It was horrible

Another alternative is to go for an arts course something really easy like guidance and counselling or early childhood education and soak yourself in programming in the university. Those courses are very easy and will give you enough time to self learn.

As a programmer you need just your degree and your projects. The degree is in Yoruba no problem so long as you have good projects and can scale technical interviews getting jobs won't be hard.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by stanliwise(m): 8:48am On Aug 05, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Op please go for computer science. What karleb said is true. Learning programming while studying a pure science or engineering course is very tough. I did marine engineering and even if I knew about the tech industry I wouldn't be able to teach myself coding as I was always busy. We had lectures everyday 8 to 6 sometimes we could have lectures to 9pm sef. It was horrible

Another alternative is to go for an arts course something really easy like guidance and counselling or early childhood education and soak yourself in programming in the university. Those courses are very easy and will give you enough time to self learn.

As a programmer you need just your degree and your projects. The degree is in Yoruba no problem so long as you have good projects and can scale technical interviews getting jobs won't be hard.
The reality of things is that going for computer science so you could easily learn how to program is just almost same story as a person in engineering or any courses. Computer science is way larger than programming and many courses you do especially in your first two years are majorly pure mathematics and basic programming. The information overload and time to read maths theory wouldn’t give ample of time to learn how to code properly.

Meanwhile the next two years is majorly studying about Data structures, algorithms, OS, processes, machine learning and some theoretical computer science courses. Including ICT problems and projects.
One has basically few moments to relate learning how to code properly.

The only advantage a CS student has from all other science students is the ability to understand concept faster due to background,
But this barely has too many advantages as this advantage shows their head in large and complex systems with complex algorithms and data structure which a CS student has been trained to handle
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by kennethfranc(m): 8:54am On Aug 05, 2021
OP am also in the same boat...
Am 20 but gradually loosing hope on furthering edu cuz of the points u listed up there (Graduation date, age, leaving the country & most importantly money matter). I wrote jamb 2020 with little above average but no fund for screening form... I really felt terrible then

The little I've saved encouraged me to go into data science (python for now), though I just started last month.

Its very sad cuz am living in a uni environment where u see students going to school daily.
In all, I just pray and hope for a better life WITHOUT A DEGREE when I attain a reasonable height in IT field.
Remain blessed...
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by Ajibade123(m): 9:55am On Aug 05, 2021
OP go for computer science if you can reason is because programming might become tiring if you don't have motivation when you are self-taught but if you study CS yes will have no choice but to do it
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by Gerrard59(m): 10:02am On Aug 05, 2021
kennethfranc:
Am 20 but gradually loosing hope on furthering edu cuz of the points u listed up there (Graduation date, age, leaving the country & most importantly money matter). I wrote jamb 2020 with little above average but no fund for screening form... I really felt terrible then

The little I've saved encouraged me to go into data science (python for now), though I just started last month.

Its very sad cuz am living in a uni environment where u see students going to school daily.
In all, I just pray and hope for a better life WITHOUT A DEGREE when I attain a reasonable height in IT field.
Remain blessed...

In all you in your pursuit in tech, try to get a bachelor degree. Some countries wouldn't issue you a working visa without a degree. The alternative is you'd need minimum of ten years experience to qualify. Which is why I recommended easy and scalable courses like Guidance and Counselling, Psychology Childhood Education etc., so you can create time to practice whatever tech skill you desire.
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by shegzhkn: 1:53pm On Aug 05, 2021
stanliwise:

The reality of things is that going for computer science so you could easily learn how to program is just almost same story as a person in engineering or any courses. Computer science is way larger than programming and many courses you do especially in your first two years are majorly pure mathematics and basic programming. The information overload and time to read maths theory wouldn’t give ample of time to learn how to code properly.

Meanwhile the next two years is majorly studying about Data structures, algorithms, OS, processes, machine learning and some theoretical computer science courses. Including ICT problems and projects.
One has basically few moments to relate learning how to code properly.

The only advantage a CS student has from all other science students is the ability to understand concept faster due to background,
But this barely has too many advantages as this advantage shows their head in large and complex systems with complex algorithms and data structure which a CS student has been trained to handle

CS student trained to handle ??

How did you think CS is being taught in Nigeria University ??, Lol.

You better off learning those concepts on edx, MIT ocw and other online resources than Institutions where if you are well grounded you might feel you are more knowledgeable than the folks teaching you.
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by stanliwise(m): 3:21pm On Aug 05, 2021
shegzhkn:

CS student trained to handle ??

How did you think CS is being taught in Nigeria University ??, Lol.

You better off learning those concepts on edx, MIT ocw and other online resources than Institutions where if you are well grounded you might feel you are more knowledgeable than the folks teaching you.
I am a CS student and meanwhile our curriculum ain’t really outdated as paraded.
It is shredded and minimalistic since standard of education is not very impressive in Naija.
Also the standard of teaching is poor, If the curriculum is properly taught then people won’t have problems.

Meanwhile what must CS guys are doing here aren’t really CS at play in the realest sense.

I rather like to think of them as programmers or software engineers or developers and not necessarily a “scientist” in quote.

People seem to be better off udemy and edx does not mean they are learning what CS is all about. They are rather learning a skill to work which kinda meet what people wants but on the deeper side. It does not contribute to the field of computing science as in the likes of Tim Berner lee, John von Neumann, Djisktra, Alan Turing . So it is what it is
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by hadelany(m): 9:28am On Aug 06, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

What about those who only have diploma in medical field (or any other field) and willing to break into the tech field e.g web development
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by lordally(m): 8:11pm On Aug 22, 2021
kennethfranc:

Remain blessed...

Bro if you're in Lagos... You can come to where I stay , I'll send you all the required videos you need to become a software developer...free of charge bro! See don't ever be discouraged bro. Even without education with IT you can be anything you want to be bro... All you need is a Laptop and determination o. If you can't go to University just get your lappy and start coding... Give yourself 7 months constant coding Omo before those people graduate from university you and some of them might likely not be in the same level again in life. I wish you the best bro....
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by kennethfranc(m): 10:06pm On Aug 22, 2021
lordally:

Bro if you're in Lagos... You can come to where I stay , I'll send you all the required videos you need to become a software developer...free of charge bro! See don't ever be discouraged bro. Even without education with IT you can be anything you want to be bro... All you need is a Laptop and determination o. If you can't go to University just get your lappy and start coding... Give yourself 7 months constant coding Omo before those people graduate from university you and some of them might likely not be in the same level again in life. I wish you the best bro....
Thanks for this but am far from Lagos(Enugu State), but I will love to keep in touch....Am actually saving to get a laptop in the first week of September with a budget of 60k.
Any recommendation
Also I wouldn't like to change the lappy till I have made a reasonable amount with it
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by lordally(m): 10:12pm On Aug 22, 2021
kennethfranc:

Thanks for this.... Am actually saving to get a laptop in the first week of September with a budget of 60k.
Any recommendation

I don't have any one for now...but you would see one of that amount sha.... I wish you the best bro

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by kennethfranc(m): 10:49pm On Aug 22, 2021
lordally:

I don't have any one for now...but you would see one of that amount sha.... I wish you the best bro
I sent you a mail
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by plantist: 11:50pm On Aug 22, 2021
lordally:

Where are you in Lagos so I could meet you for these videos? Thanks in advance.
Re: Please I Need Your Help/advice. by lordally(m): 12:07pm On Aug 23, 2021
kennethfranc:

I sent you a mail

Ok boss

(1) (Reply)

Country-that-allow-international Students To Bring Their Family / Sheffield Hallam University / ...Go And Vote For Me On The 25th Of January- Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.