Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,517 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child (985 Views)

How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? / My Aunt Doesn't Want Me To Discipline Her Children. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Kay25(m): 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2021
I will like to know other means of discipline a child apart from using cane and kneeling down that is effective..
Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Gentlerespect76: 10:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
What does your child treasure most? Toys, pets, running in the parks? You can reasonably withhold such things and see if the reaction is positive. My son's nemesis is depriving him TV time on his favourite DSTV CN Channel 301. Old boy he will soft like akamu(pap) grin grin

1 Like

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by IamGreen1(f): 11:26pm On Aug 04, 2021
Drink Ribena in his presence, don't give him and tell him to dispose the pack. Just kidding though.

Tell him to face the wall, he'll feel lonely and won't love the experience.

1 Like

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Hathor5(f): 7:32am On Aug 05, 2021
Kay25:
I will like to know other means of discipline a child apart from using cane and kneeling down that is effective..

How old is the child?
Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Kay25(m): 7:52am On Aug 05, 2021
Hathor5:

How old is the child?
12 years of age
Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Hathor5(f): 8:07am On Aug 05, 2021
Kay25:

12 years of age

That's easy. grin

As a rule of thumb, it is best if the consequence is directly related to what they did wrong. For instance, if they do not tidy up their room, make them tidy up their room plus the living room or kitchen or whichever other room.

If they come too late from somewhere, make them come one hour earlier next time.

If they don't do their homework, leave for example the television/playstation off.

In all of this, never forget to discuss with them why it is important to do or not do so and so. Do it after your anger subsides in a calm manner. But this is not a replacement for the consequences that must follow.

2 Likes

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by frozen70(f): 8:30am On Aug 05, 2021
Kay25:

Constant counseling

Allow him to go on long vacation to familes whom you respect the way they handle their own children

Keep that Cain where he will be seeing it steady

Keep such child busy with house chores

Promise that child goodies if behaved well
Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by BRATISLAVA: 8:48am On Aug 05, 2021
Hathor5:

That's easy. grin

As a rule of thumb, it is best if the consequence is directly related to what they did wrong. For instance, if they do not tidy up their room, make them tidy up their room plus the living room or kitchen or whichever other room.

If they come too late from somewhere, make them come one hour earlier next time.

If they don't do their homework, leave for example the television/playstation off.

In all of this, never forget to discuss with them why it is important to do or not do so and so. Do it after your anger subsides in a calm manner. But this is not a replacement for the consequences that must follow.

Why are teens so troublesome?

In all these scenarios, I can see where they would like to push the line and get you very cross. That one hour earlier one is the very one that makes me lose my temper.

1 Like

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Hathor5(f): 8:58am On Aug 05, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Why are teens so troublesome?

What were you like as a teen? cheesy

Not all teens are troublesome and we need to understand that they go through a lot at this age. It's not easy being a teen.

In all these scenarios, I can see where they would like to push the line and get you very cross. That one hour earlier one is the very one that makes me lose my temper.

Because as a mother you are worried. But be assured that in most cases they do not do it to upset you but rather because their head is in the clouds at this age. It helps to assume that they do not have bad intentions and they will either rise or lower to your expectations.

1 Like

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by RightToReject(m): 9:10am On Aug 05, 2021
In addition to the things that have already been said up there by some people, one of the best means of disciplining a child is by first being a disciplined person yourself, and then encouraging hir to always imitate your behavior - of course, they will certainly do it with or without you pronouncing it - and showing them active and action love.

No sane child will wittingly wish to bring shame to hir scrupulous and loving parents.

3 Likes

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Hathor5(f): 9:13am On Aug 05, 2021
RightToReject:
In addition to the things that have already been said up there by some people, one of the best means of disciplining a child is by first being a disciplined person yourself, and then encouraging hir to always imitate your behavior - of course, they will certainly do it with or without you pronouncing it - and showing them active and action love.

No sane child will wittingly wish to bring shame to hir scrupulous and loving parents.

This is very true.

1 Like

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by BRATISLAVA: 9:38am On Aug 05, 2021
Hathor5:

What were you like as a teen? cheesy

I was a good teen, regarding the time matter. smileyOtherwise, pretty rotten— kind of. I didn't make my parents worry while I was at it though. Just minor stuff.

Not all teens are troublesome and we need to understand that they go through a lot at this age. It's not easy being a teen.

Very true. But their angst and emotions are a handful.

Because as a mother you are worried. But be assured that in most cases they do not do it to upset you but rather because their head is in the clouds at this age. It helps to assume that they do not have bad intentions and they will either rise or lower to your expectations.

My expectations have successfully been lowered. I'm getting to the point where I don't even comment on it. Do what you want, just don't commit a serious crime.

2 Likes

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Hathor5(f): 9:40am On Aug 05, 2021
[quote author=BRATISLAVA post=104447924][/quote]

The last part. Just don't commit a crime. grin

1 Like

Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by BRATISLAVA: 9:50am On Aug 05, 2021
Hathor5:

The last part. Just don't commit a crime. grin

Teens are stressful, willful and should each have a pinching angel on their case!

Don't know how they grow horns suddenly.
Re: Please Share With Me What Other Means Can You Use To Discipline A Child by Kay25(m): 2:15pm On Aug 05, 2021
frozen70:

Constant counseling

Allow him to go on long vacation to familes whom you respect the way they handle their own children

Keep that Cain where he will be seeing it steady

Keep such child busy with house chores

Promise that child goodies if behaved well

okay thanks I will adhere to that

(1) (Reply)

Does Someone Need A Court Judgement To Dissolve Their Marriage? / 19 Years Old Boy Builds A G.wagon Car Replica / Torn Between Replacing His Car And Starting A Residential Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.