Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar (6902 Views)

1444 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar / 1442 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar / Today's Hijri Date Is ....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Lukgaf(m): 6:10am On Aug 06, 2021
According to the Nigeria Supreme Council of Islam, today, Friday 6th of August, 2021 is the 27th day of Dhulhijjah, 1442AH. In sha Allah, this week marks the end of the Hijrah calendar and beginning of another calendar.

Below we provide the history of how Islamic Calendar came into existence.

First established in the year 622 AD, the Islamic calendar consists of 12 lunar months, totaling 354 or 355 days per year.

In most countries, the calendar’s main use is now in determining the dates of religious events, such as Eid al-Fitr, Eid al-Adha, and the holy month of Ramadan. However, several countries, such as Saudi Arabia, use it as an official calendar.

The Hijra

The first year of the Islamic calendar marks the “Hijra” (migration) of Islam’s prophet Muhammad in 622 AD from his birthtown, Mecca, to Yathrib, currently called Medina.

The event holds special significance for Muslims, as it was after Hijra that Islam gained many followers.

According to Muslim tradition, Prophet Muhammad fled Mecca after God warned him of an assassination plot against him. The prophet only told his closest companions, Abu Bakr and Ali, of his plan to escape.

After a miraculous nocturnal escape from the tribe of Quraysh, Prophet Muhammad and his companion Abu Bakr hid in a cave outside Mecca. With a bounty on his head, the prophet stayed in the cave for three days before resuming his journey to Yathrib.

After the Hijra, Prophet Muhammad gained more supporters and Islam began to expand on a large scale in the Arabian Peninsula, as well as in Persia and Africa.

Pre-Islamic calendar
Muslims began using the Islamic calendar in the 17th year after the Hijra, approximately seven years after Prophet Muhammad died.

Prior to the establishment of the Islamic calendar, Muslims used a lunar calendar, with similar month appellations as the Islamic one. However, they did not numerically track years and only referenced them based on the occurrence of major events.

The most famous example of the years’ names is “A’am al-Fil” (The year of the elephant), which coincided with 571 AD and is commonly known as Prophet Muhammad’s birth year.

The year’s name derives from the story, mentioned in the Quran, of Abraha, a Christian ruler of Yemen. He marched upon Mecca with a large army, including war elephants, intending to demolish the Kaabah—Islam’s most sacred site.

However, according to the story, the elephants refused to destroy the holy site and a flock of birds dropped clay stones on the army to protect Mecca.

Establishment of the Islamic calendar

Muslims established the Islamic calendar under the reign of the second Muslim Caliph, Umar Ibn al-Khattab. The main reason behind the establishment of the calendar was the unprecedented expansion of the Islamic Caliphate, pushing Muslims to adopt a unified calendar for counting years.

Caliph Umar Ibn al-Khattab suggested the adoption of the Hijra as the start of the Islamic calendar, which all the prophet’s companions approved.

Another suggestion for the beginning of the Islamic calendar was the year Prophet Muhammad received his first revelations, in approximately 610 AD. However, the companions preferred the first option because the Hijra represented the actual birth of an Islamic nation.

When establishing the Islamic calendar, the companions had different opinions about what the first month should be. Many suggested the month of Safar, as it was the month when Prophet Muhammad migrated from Mecca to Yathrib.

In the end, they agreed on the month of Muharram because it comes right after the Hajj season—one of the most important annual rituals for Muslims.

Difference with the Gregorian calendar

Hijri years are 354 days, eight hours, and 48 minutes long—the duration it takes the moon to circle the Earth 12 times. This makes the Islamic calendar 11 to 12 days shorter than the solar Gregorian calendar.

The difference in duration makes the Islamic and Gregorian calendars unsynchronized. The two calendars mark a new year on approximately the same day only once every 33 years.

The difference also gradually pushes the Islamic calendar closer to the Gregorian calendar year-wise. While 622 years separated the two calendars at the establishment of the Islamic calendar, today, only 578 years separate them.

Through its over 14 centuries of existence, the Islamic calendar has documented wars and truces, births and deaths, and celebrations and mournings across the Muslim world. Today, in a multicultural context, it coexists with the civil calendar and connects Muslims with their eventful history and most sacred rituals.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2020/08/316090/1442-hijri-new-year-tracing-the-roots-of-the-islamic-calendar/

18 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by 2dominate: 8:11am On Aug 06, 2021
Nice

2 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:31am On Aug 06, 2021
Some of us still need to learn the 12 Islamic/Lunar months!

We don't need to be only a "Ramadan Muslim".

Be a Muslim as Allah says:

O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islam (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islamic religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy. (Al-Baqarah 2: 208)

1.Muharram
2.Safar
3. Rabi al-awwal
4. Rabi al-thani
5. Jumada al-awwal/ Jumada al-Ula
6.Jumada al-thanni
7.Rajab
8.Sha'aban
9.Ramadan
10.Shawwal
11.Dhul-Qa'da
12.Dhul -Hijjah

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by sammy7410(m): 12:04pm On Aug 06, 2021
No commet

2 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by mainman7(m): 12:10pm On Aug 06, 2021
Ok.
Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by merits(m): 12:12pm On Aug 06, 2021
Rashduct4luv:

O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islam (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islamic religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy. (Al-Baqarah 2: 208)

1.Muharram
2.Safar
3. Rabi al-awwal
4. Rabi al-thani
6.Jumada al-thanni
7.Sha'aban
8.Rajab
9.Ramadam
10.Shawwal
11.Dhul-Qa'da
12.Dhul -Hijjah

Jazakumlahi khair

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by emmanuel1277: 12:16pm On Aug 06, 2021
Please am putting this here brothers please assist me
Please brothers I need your help
Am currently in a stranded place
I was supposed to go to kano for my project practical which I am doing becaues I didn't have the funds to do it in school, so my supervisor was understanding enough to make me go to the place I did my IT to do it there with video and picture proof

I got to kano but I couldn't do the practical as planned cuase of some factory issues so I had to spend extra 5 days before they could polymerise.
And now I am low on transport as I had to feed myself for the rest days
Please I just need to complete my tfare
With just 2500 i will hit the road

Please brothers help
I visit this forum as a guest normally and I see person ask for help sometimes
I hope some good hearts will help here please

First bank

1 Like

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 06, 2021
Juma@ Mubarak brothers and sisters.. may Allah strengthen our faith when we fall
!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by money121(m): 12:17pm On Aug 06, 2021
Ok
Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Bimpe29: 12:30pm On Aug 06, 2021
May Allah enable us witness 1443AH and many more years ahead, with His eternal mercy and guidance Aameen.

9 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by deen84(m): 12:44pm On Aug 06, 2021
Barakah lahu fih

2 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by mountmoriah(m): 1:06pm On Aug 06, 2021
emmanuel1277:
Please am putting this here brothers please assist me
Please brothers I need your help
Am currently in a stranded place
I was supposed to go to kano for my project practical which I am doing becaues I didn't have the funds to do it in school, so my supervisor was understanding enough to make me go to the place I did my IT to do it there with video and picture proof

I got to kano but I couldn't do the practical as planned cuase of some factory issues so I had to spend extra 5 days before they could polymerise.
And now I am low on transport as I had to feed myself for the rest days
Please I just need to complete my tfare
With just 2500 i will hit the road

Please brothers help
I visit this forum as a guest normally and I see person ask for help sometimes
I hope some good hearts will help here please

First bank

God help u in Jesus name amen

3 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Abdoolbuster: 1:07pm On Aug 06, 2021
advocatejare:
There is nothing like Islamic calendar. The so called Islamic calendar is of pagan origin:

The Islamic calendar is a flawed and arbitrary calendar that is neither practical nor useful. In the Islamic texts there is a strange emphasis on the pre-Islamic lunar calendar as if it's somehow divine.

The Hijri calendar, which starts when Muhammad made hijrah (migration) to Madinah is a lunar calendar based on the existing pre-Islamic months.

Muhammad used the pre-Islamic calendar and made it one of the important features of his religion as if God himself invented this calendar. It is yet another example of the arbitrary pre-Islamic norms and values that Muhammad included in his religion.”

-https://abdullahsameer.medium.com/the-pagan-islamic-calendar-b7fb71d9f6f4

Muhammad is a copy and paste master, he copied every religion available. Copied the Arabian pagan, copied Zoastran copied Jews copied Christians, everything about Islam is copy and adulteration. Nothing original, nothing new. Evrrytime he told the people of Mecca a thing they'll tell tell him we have heard this ancient story before grin
If not for sword nobody will accept Islam but the werey employed all the bandits in Yathrib with the promise of living large and they marched on Mecca, destroyed it and kill whoever oppose their devilish religion.

6 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by advocatejare(m): 1:17pm On Aug 06, 2021
Abdoolbuster:

Muhammad is a copy and paste master, he copied every religion available. Copied the Arabian pagan, copied Zoastran copied Jews copied Christians, everything about Islam is copy and adulteration. Nothing original, nothing new. Evrrytime he told the people of Mecca a thing they'll tell tell him we have heard this ancient story before grin
If not for sword nobody will accept Islam but the werey employed all the bandits in Yathrib with the promise of living large and they marched on Mecca, destroyed it and kill whoever oppose their devilish religion.
You're right

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by OtemAtum: 1:34pm On Aug 06, 2021
21st century people still into slavery to the words of 6th century caveman. It's appalling.

It's almost 5 years since Allah has been held in a spiritual cage by the gods of science. Peace to the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by replybbot(m): 5:12pm On Aug 06, 2021
Abdoolbuster:

Two wrongs do not make a right they say; otherwise, I'd pay you back in the same coin.

Surely, if you're destined to be rightly guided, Allah shall one day open your eyes to all that eludes you.

3 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by keemson4(m): 2:37am On Aug 07, 2021
Abdoolbuster:

Muhammad is a copy and paste master, he copied every religion available

I have many question for You but one..
Mohammed made mentioned of Jesus Christ that He spoke from the Cradle (infact that was what cleared Holy Mary from the big embarrassment because People didn't believed Nobody slept with her) Now show me the verse from Bible where Jesus Spoke from the Cradle written

If you could show me then I will believe that My special Prophet copied for real !!!

1 Like

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Cheryphb: 9:16am On Aug 07, 2021
Rashduct4luv:

1.Muharram
2.Safar
3. Rabi al-awwal
4. Rabi al-thani
6.Jumada al-thanni
7.Sha'aban
8.Rajab
9.Ramadam
10.Shawwal
11.Dhul-Qa'da
12.Dhul -Hijjah

please take note Rajab should come before Shaaban

2 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:36am On Aug 07, 2021
Cheryphb:
please take note Rajab should come before Shaaban

Jazaak Allahu khayran.

1 Like

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Abdoolbuster: 9:52am On Aug 07, 2021
keemson4:

I have many question for You but one..
Mohammed made mentioned of Jesus Christ that He spoke from the Cradle (infact that was what cleared Holy Mary from the big embarrassment because People didn't believed Nobody slept with her) Now show me the verse from Bible where Jesus Spoke from the Cradle written

If you could show me then I will believe that My special Prophet copied for real !!!

You have many questions but one? Is this really something reasonable? OK, Muhammad never talk about Jesus Christ, Muhammad talked about Isa, we Christians don't know anything about Isa, is Isa even Arabic in the first place? A baby speaking would made people scamper but Quran said that the people believed immediately grin just like it also said about Musa having his clothes stolen by a rock and the rock was running away only for Musa to keep shouting my clothe my clothe cheesy Even the people weren't suprised about a rock running but they were only concerned about Musa's penis. How stupid could one be to believe such a garbage is from God?

Finally, you didn't quote my comment in full as I clearly state that Muhammad copied, edit and adulterated every story

1 Like

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Abdoolbuster: 9:54am On Aug 07, 2021
replybbot:

Two wrongs do not make a right they say; otherwise, I'd pay you back in the same coin.

Surely, if you're destined to be rightly guided, Allah shall one day open your eyes to all that eludes you.

Stop acting like a cry baby, either you refute me or accept the fact that Muhammad is a deranged copy, edit, adultrating and paste master.

2 Likes

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by keemson4(m): 8:31pm On Aug 07, 2021
Abdoolbuster:

just like it also said about Musa having his clothes stolen by a rock and the rock was running away only for Musa to keep shouting my clothe my clothe cheesy Even the people weren't suprised about a rock running but they were only concerned about Musa's penis. How stupid could one be to believe such a garbage is from God?

Quote it pls... Where is this written??

Remember the Bible says speak the Truth and the Truth shall set you free (john 8:32)

1 Like

Re: 1443 Hijri New Year: Tracing The Roots Of The Islamic Calendar by Abdoolbuster: 4:34pm On Aug 08, 2021
keemson4:

Quote it pls... Where is this written??

Remember the Bible says speak the Truth and the Truth shall set you free (john 8:32)

It is know the truth

Here you have it
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, 'The (people of) Bani Israel used to take bath naked (all together) looking at each other. The Prophet (ﷺ) Moses used to take a bath alone. They said, 'By Allah! Nothing prevents Moses from taking a bath with us except that he has a scrotal hernia.' So once Moses went out to take a bath and put his clothes over a stone and then that stone ran away with his clothes. Moses followed that stone saying, "My clothes, O stone! My clothes, O stone! till the people of Bani Israel saw him and said, 'By Allah, Moses has got no defect in his body. Moses took his clothes and began to beat the stone." Abu Huraira added, "By Allah! There are still six or seven marks present on the stone from that excessive beating."

Sahih al-Bukhari 278
In-book reference : Book 5, Hadith 30

Check out the screenshot cheesy

We are Christians we don't speak Taqiyya like abdools grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Is Smoking Shisha Haram? / How To Seek Laylatul Qadr – The Night Of Power! / Why Must The Muslims Pray Towards The East?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.