Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,405 members, 7,812,195 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others (11499 Views)

CBN Returns Over N60 Billion Excess Bank Charges To Customers / Cement Company Of Northern Nigeria Declares N16.89 Billion Revenue In Q1 2019 / CBN Recovers N60bn From Banks As Illegal Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by divinehand2003(m): 7:31am On Aug 06, 2021
*Says Nigeria’s financial system, sound, stable, resilient

The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has disclosed that it has so far recovered N89.2 billion excess and illegal charges slammed on  customers by banks in Nigeria.

Meanwhile the apex bank also said that Nigeria’s financial system is sound, resilient and stable contrary to rumors in unnamed quarters.

The CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, represented by the Acting Director, Corporate Communications Department, CBN, Osita Nwanisobi,    speaking in Calabar at a 2- day public enlightenment fair, said the amount which was as at June 2021 was based on 23,526 complaints they received from customer bordering on charges and other related matters .

READ ALSO: FOREX: CBN to monitor banks’ compliance

He added that the insinuations that the Apex bank was planning to convert domiciliary/ dollar accounts to naira were false and unfounded.

The fair is targeted at keeping the public apprised and let them know the policies, programmes and economic interventions of the bank and how it benefits the people.

He stated:  “We want Nigerians to know that we carry out “banking examinations” and the results show that our banks are in very good condition and our financial system is stable, resilient, safe and sound”.

“This sensitisation is part of ways to engage the people to understand how our polices, programmes and interventions are affecting them and as well as create a veritable platform to discuss and understand their challenges through their responses and feedbacks.”

On the customer complaints he said, “What we do is that whenever we get these complaints, they are thoroughly investigated, if they are found to be true, the CBN makes sure that these customers are properly refunded and we have so far recovered N89 billion.”
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/08/cbn-recovers-n89bn-excess-bank-charges-others/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by divinehand2003(m): 7:38am On Aug 06, 2021
The way Nigerian banks subtly slam charges on their customers has made it very difficult to know when one is unduly charged.

Nigeria banks are pros when it comes to depleting your hard earned money.

Abeg which Nigerian bank pays interest to customers for saving money with them ?

41 Likes

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by overdrive(m): 7:49am On Aug 06, 2021
I pray we get back our illegally deducted funds.

7 Likes

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by inoki247: 7:50am On Aug 06, 2021
ok where the money now...

Cause I'm sure if dem accumulates some of my 20naira, 100naira wey dey miss I go become a millionaire tongue tongue

When will they start paying us ar we to start applying to retrieve our 20naira bak ni lik N Power or u will jus credit us lik dat...

abi u guys don borrow dat one again......

13 Likes

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Tokskob2008: 7:50am On Aug 06, 2021
divinehand2003:
The way Nigerian banks subtly slam charges on their customers has made it very difficult to know when one is unduly charged.

Abeg which Nigerian bank pays interest to customers for saving money with them ?
Non I think, in the early 2000s some banks still did but I doubt if any still do today.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Penguin2: 7:52am On Aug 06, 2021
When are they paying it back to us please?

3 Likes

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by kayuseful: 7:53am On Aug 06, 2021
The CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, represented by the Acting Director, Corporate Communications Department, CBN, Osita Nwanisobi, speaking in Calabar at a 2- day public enlightenment fair, said the amount which was as at June 2021 was based on 23,526 complaints they received from customer bordering on charges and other related matters .
So this figure is even based on customers who complained. What about those who didn't notice the charges?
No wonder our banks keep making huge profits despite recession or lockdown

Sleekfingers:

thats why we need to monitor our accounts........

I remember when i was staying in the UK.......people dont joke with their bank account balance.....banks dare not deduct a penny anyhow......i seen an elderly woman complaining at a bank ,because 50p was deducted from her account..........there was a banker that was caught in the same UK.......he was deducting 50p, 1p, 2p, 10p etc from customers accounts for over 3years.....at the end of the day, he was caught.....he had all ready stole millions of pounds.....by just deducting money not up to one pound for years..........

Nigerians should learn to do that too.....if you dont complain. How do you expect to get your money back....... 35naira, 65 naira etc they are deducting is not a small money......lets say 65naira x 100million people....
Rightly said.

There has to be tougher sanctions against banks found guilty of this too, else they continue to deduct micro amounts and will only refund those who make complaints, of which only a fraction will go that long route

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by ODJ124(m): 7:55am On Aug 06, 2021
Nigerian banks are thieves...
U will have a fixed amount of money. ..all of a sudden its starts to disappear..

Thread seen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by overdrive(m): 7:59am On Aug 06, 2021
Tokskob2008:

Non I think, in the early 2000s some banks still did but I doubt if any still do today.

Rather they deduct.
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by IMASTEX: 8:06am On Aug 06, 2021
What a country. Yet the illegality continues even as I type and the CBN is aware. Only to still come later to recover the money to some politicians, since refunding to the customers is now "impossible because those accounts are no longer in existence."
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by dapsoneh: 8:06am On Aug 06, 2021
Then why is Buhari borrowing? Abi ayam not understanding fah.
Recover this, recover that, where are those recovered monies going gan sef?

1 Like

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by FuckHomophobes: 8:07am On Aug 06, 2021
I'm sure my money is part
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Chidex50(m): 8:07am On Aug 06, 2021
They should give me my own back oo
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 06, 2021
Tokskob2008:

Standard trust bank ( now part of UBA) was one of them
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Akwamkpuruamu: 8:08am On Aug 06, 2021
Can they return it to the owners? Access Bank should return back all the excess charges they took from me

4 Likes

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 06, 2021
These Nigerian banks are all bunch of thieves

1 Like

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by daddytime(m): 8:09am On Aug 06, 2021
Choi

Make dem sha send my share oh
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Odion2016(m): 8:09am On Aug 06, 2021
Tokskob2008:

Stanbic ibtc bank...

1 Like

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Sleekfingers: 8:10am On Aug 06, 2021
didikakakuku:
Hope they will share it to costumers?

it is pretty obvious, that you didnt read the post

1 Like

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Odion2016(m): 8:10am On Aug 06, 2021
divinehand2003:

Stanbic ibtc bank
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by AOresources: 8:10am On Aug 06, 2021
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Princeton92(m): 8:12am On Aug 06, 2021
So now what happens next?? Tell us oo cause we dunno even though y'all still wouldn't tell us the truth sha!!!
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by ebhohon: 8:12am On Aug 06, 2021
when it was recovered who did they pay it to. i didn't see in my account.
divinehand2003:
*Says Nigeria’s financial system, sound, stable, resilient

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/08/cbn-recovers-n89bn-excess-bank-charges-others/
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Kaiser20: 8:13am On Aug 06, 2021
Many federal government agencies have recovered Billions of naira , still Buhari government can't handle one single project without borrowing money from China.
Maybe China is using JUJU .
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by OneNigeria1: 8:13am On Aug 06, 2021
didikakakuku:
Hope they will share it to costumers?

why you the ask as if na alien you be grin
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Nobody: 8:14am On Aug 06, 2021
Ole gbe, ole gba.
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Nobody: 8:14am On Aug 06, 2021
divinehand2003:

The American banking system is flawed!!

Banks earn in Charges, overdraft, ATM....

They literally rape us!!!! Continuously!!

1 Like

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Grace001: 8:14am On Aug 06, 2021
The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has disclosed that it has so far recovered N89.2 billion excess and illegal charges slammed on customers by banks in Nigeria.

I don’t even know what to say...
Banks CEO are just Slowomir in Suit
Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by israelmao(m): 8:14am On Aug 06, 2021
Bank is a legalized robbery institution.

1 Like

Re: CBN Recovers ₦89 Billion Excess Bank Charges, Others by Ayo8(m): 8:15am On Aug 06, 2021
I'm sure my over 17k access bank illegally deducted for forex transaction is among this recovered money.
I sent them a mail, copied CBN complaints... Nothing till date...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote To Invest Up To $50 Billion In U.S., Europe By 2025 / Naira Exchange Rate Today: Dollar To Naira Black Market Rate Today April 22 / Goodness Morakinyo - FOREX scam artist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.