Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,425 members, 7,826,655 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida (2855 Views)

Dahiru Saleh Is Dead! Judge Who Annulled June 12 Election Dies / The Unofficial Results Of The Annulled June 12 1993 Election / MKO Abiola: Why There Will Be No Public Holiday On June 12 This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by TheRareGem1(f): 10:31am On Aug 06, 2021
Former head of state, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, has revealed why he cancelled the June 12, 1993 election which was popularly perceived to have been won by M.K.O (Moshood Kashimawo Olawale) Abiola.

The former Head of state said that he had to annul the election because he thought there would have been a violent coup d’etat.

However, his fears came true even after he cancelled the election as there were nationwide protests leading to his resignation giving room for an interim civilian government.

The interim government eventually gave way for another military rule through a bloodless coup spear-headed by late General Sani Abacha.

When asked why he annulled the election, which was widely considered to be the best in the country’s history, the elder statesman said; “Do you want me to be honest with you?”

“If it materialized [If the election had gone through], there would have been a coup d’etat which could have been violent. That is all I can confirm.” He said

“It didn’t happen, thank God for the Maradonic way we handled you guys in the society.”

He added that the election “could have given room for more instability in the country.”

Asked further if he was pressured by the military or civilians to annul the election, Babangida said: “Both.”

“Both, the Military, they can do it because they have the weapons to do it. The other is the social agitation.”

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by id911(m): 10:32am On Aug 06, 2021
Where's Osinbajo mentioned directly by IBB in the article?

5 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by TheRareGem1(f): 10:32am On Aug 06, 2021
If you follow what IBB said in to-to; you will wont reason too much to know who he's referring to.

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by TheRareGem1(f): 10:33am On Aug 06, 2021
id911:
Where's Osinbajo mentioned in the article?

Read between the line. Not everything you will be spoon fed

2 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Educationalserv: 10:35am On Aug 06, 2021
id911:
Where's Osinbajo mentioned in the article?
osinbajo and zulum or let divide Nigeria . If two professors fail in developing Nigeria from 2023 to 2031 then we give up .

5 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by tracychelsea13: 10:35am On Aug 06, 2021
Even though he did not mention Osinbajo's name directly it appears he is referring to him. By mentioning 60s means Atiku, Tinubu, Yahaya Bello, etc are ruled out. On a second thought, Peter Obi will be in his 60s too.

4 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Joylove2324(f): 10:35am On Aug 06, 2021
If we are to be sincere with ourselves, Osinbajo is the right person to leads the affairs of this country come 2023. He's more than capable

4 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by id911(m): 10:35am On Aug 06, 2021
TheRareGem1:

All the quoted texts by IBB, there was no where Osinbajo's name was mentioned.

3 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Oviconji: 10:36am On Aug 06, 2021
TheRareGem1:

I hope you are getting paid very well for this your relentless PR and image laundering of Osibanjo. You no dey gree us rest with your hyping.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by TheRareGem1(f): 10:37am On Aug 06, 2021
id911:

All the quoted texts by IBB, there was no where Osinbajo's name was mentioned.

why I said 'read between the line'
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by nairalandankrah: 10:37am On Aug 06, 2021
So, A fantastically corrupt babangida who, in a sane country, should be behind bars like Zuma his counterpart, is now the one suggesting to you people who should be your president?..

And some idiots are even rejoicing over this..
Shame! What a shame!

Chai! I give up on Nigerians.. Please God let this shit hole break to pieces.
Amen!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Deputy1111(m): 10:38am On Aug 06, 2021
Babangida might have not mention the name of Osinbajo directly but i percieved he is actually talking about him.

Even if Babagida did not mean Osinbajo, I can see Osinbajo as a man who is capable of giving us a new and better Nigeria.
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by id911(m): 10:39am On Aug 06, 2021
TheRareGem1:

why I said 'read between the line'
I give up on you.

Even if IBB mentioned Osinbajo which he obviously didn't, so, IBB you guys have been abusing and calling all manner of names anytime he makes a statement is now being adored by you now right?

2 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Jerryherd: 10:40am On Aug 06, 2021
grin

It's simply bad belle and payback time

When Babangida started Structural Adjustment Program, Tinubu as ExxonMobil Treasurer, and famous Newspaper columnist vocally lambasted the Program

When IBB annulled the 1993 Election with hopes of ruling forever, it was Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu that raised the motion to pass vote of no confidence on Babangida's regime which eventually forced him out and brought Shonekan an IBB stooge

Abiola and Tinubu still travelled down to Odogbo cantonment Ojo Ibadan to connive with General Abacha to chase Shonekan and Babangida's stooge out of Aso Rock

IBB and Obasanjo would rather die than see Tinubu in Aso Rock

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Educationalserv: 10:41am On Aug 06, 2021
Oviconji:

I hope you are getting paid very well for this your relentless PR and image laundering of Osibanjo. You no dey gree us rest with your hyping.
no one need to.be paid it common sense .from been a humble person to a listening and innovate leader. We don't need a bully and Stalinist like we have now.
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by TheRareGem1(f): 10:45am On Aug 06, 2021
Educationalserv:
no one need to.be paid it common sense .from been a humble person to a listening and innovate leader. We don't need a bully and Stalinist like we have now.

Exactly. But he's kilobyte B is to low to carry it
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by id911(m): 10:47am On Aug 06, 2021
Educationalserv:

Osinanjo is never innovative. He's part of this satanic regime. I get annoyed when you people now say Buhari is bad and Osinbajo is good. Are they no longer on a joint ticket?

Osinbajo was the one that first drafted pensions for ex-governor in Lagos that other states copied from. What was innovative about that useless law?

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by BestGospelMusic: 10:51am On Aug 06, 2021
We hope the best wins
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by yanabasee1(m): 10:52am On Aug 06, 2021
In as much as he's a common commissioner... I'll prefer him to his master...
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Educationalserv: 10:52am On Aug 06, 2021
id911:

Osinanjo is never innovative. He's part of this satanic regime. I get annoyed when you people now say Buhari is bad and Osinbajo is good. Are they no longer on a joined ticket?

Osinbajo was the one that first drafted pensions for ex-governor in Lagos that other states copied from. What was innovative about that useless law?
all the social program like Nppwer,survival fund ,agmies loans , n youths and host of other are beem coordinated and invented from the office of the vp..he not a perfect person and we don't envisage total support .even Trump and ganduje has supporters.

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by maybanks: 10:53am On Aug 06, 2021
IBB codedly described the person of Osinbajo

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by iokpebholo: 10:53am On Aug 06, 2021
I just pray for osibanjo or fashola unlike d bullon van crook from bourdillon

2 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Joyce95: 10:59am On Aug 06, 2021
You people will the value of Osinbajo now, but don't worry God will soon show it to us soon the better man he be
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by okefranci: 11:00am On Aug 06, 2021
Without being told or mentioning anybody's name,one will easily deduce that he recognised the good work of VP Osinbajo to be a president come 2023
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Iyasaburi: 11:03am On Aug 06, 2021
This post should be brought down immediately. Not fit for the FP!

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Oviconji: 11:05am On Aug 06, 2021
TheRareGem1:

Exactly. But he's kilobyte B is to low to carry it

You are abusing me because I asked if you are getting paid to launder the commissioner's image? You must think everyone here is stupid but I am not among them. You alone are using 4 different monikers on this thread, as you do on all your other hyping threads. But I can't blame you because you are only doing your job. Just try and not be insulting people all because you are defending your meal ticket.

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by id911(m): 11:17am On Aug 06, 2021
Educationalserv:
all the social program like Nppwer,survival fund ,agmies loans , n youths and host of other are beem coordinated and invented from the office of the vp..he not a perfect person and we don't envisage total support .even Trump and ganduje has supporters.
He has absolutely no power to invent it. It's Buhari administration program. Stop seeing Buhari as a devil and Osinbajo a saint.

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by RZArecta(m): 11:33am On Aug 06, 2021
Continue deceiving yourself.... Tips Osinbande my áss cool

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Adelekan40(m): 11:34am On Aug 06, 2021
Osinbajo is the best man for the job.
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Asgard73: 11:39am On Aug 06, 2021
Jerryherd:
grin

It's simply bad belle and payback time

When Babangida started Structural Adjustment Program, Tinubu as ExxonMobil Treasurer, and famous Newspaper columnist vocally lambasted the Program

When IBB annulled the 1993 Election with hopes of ruling forever, it was Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu that raised the motion to pass vote of no confidence on Babangida's regime which eventually forced him out and brought Shonekan an IBB stooge

Abiola and Tinubu still travelled down to Odogbo cantonment Ojo Ibadan to connive with General Abacha to chase Shonekan and Babangida's stooge out of Aso Rock

IBB and Obasanjo would rather die than see Tinubu in Aso Rock

Tinubu Na IBB mate?

Yoruba version.

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Kandeed: 11:39am On Aug 06, 2021
id911:

He has absolutely no power to invent it. It's Buhari administration program. Stop seeing Buhari as a devil and Osinbajo a saint.

Either he's a devil or an archangel of attrocities we would still support him and root for him come 2023. Is ur type that would rather vote in an expired product like Atiku n Tinubu come 2023
Re: MKO Abiola: Why I annulled June 12 election – Babangida by Mastakija(m): 11:39am On Aug 06, 2021
He added that one of the reasons Nigeria has refused to progress and achieve the dreams of the founding fathers is because Nigerians no longer believed in the future of their own country.

IBB sef dey talk
Rubbish
When he was in power what did he do
He's even one of the problem of Nigeria
He will die in pains ijn
Rubbish

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rising Sun Used By Hero Lager / Labour Party Town Hall Meeting In Kaduna(photos) / Nairaland Moderators, What Manner Of Advert Against Obi Is This On Your Platform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.