Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Educate The North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Educate The North (1579 Views)

Abia State Sanitation Authority Should Take Note And Educate The Masses On This / Is INEC Doing Enough To Educate The Nigerian Voter? / Nigerian Lawyers Vow To Educate The Public On Human Rights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Educate The North by Beaf: 3:28am On May 17, 2011
[size=14pt]Educate the North[/size]
By Soji Bamidele
May 17, 2011 01:08AM

The chairman, National Population Commission (NPC), Samuila Makama, has painted a gloomy picture of the educational imbalance between the North and South.

Yesterday in Abuja at the launch of the Digest of Education Statistics 2006-2010 and the presentation of the 2010 Nigeria Education Data Survey Report, Mr Makama regretted the huge gap in the educational standard between the two regions.

According to him, while the "South-West parades 73.6 as the literate level among the guardians and parents as well as South-South with 71.9 and South-East displaying 74.1, the North-West boasts only of 33.8, North-East 33.8 and North-Central 54.9".

He said "absenteeism from schools is more pronounced in the northern parts of the country than in the south". The chairman stated that the percentage of children between the ages of 6-16 who never attended school at all was higher in the North-East and in the North-West while almost 72 percent never attempted school at all in Borno State, compared with less than 3 percent in most of the states in the southern zones.

Mr Makama added that the "less economically advantaged the household is, the more likely the child is malnourished, children in the lowest economic status around 33 percent were stunted than those in the highest economic status".

He appealed to policy makers to comprehensively consider the digest so that they could be properly guided in attacking the problems of education in some parts of the country.

Rising to the challenge

Earlier, President Goodluck Jonathan reiterated the federal government's resolve to tackle the rot in the educational sector with a view to meeting the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).

Represented at the event by the Vice President, Namadi Sambo, Mr Jonathan said that "education, education and education is our priority because without that nobody can make any headway in any area and Nigeria cannot afford to go and import foreigners from outside to come and manage our economy, educational institutions, hospitals, etc for us."

As a demonstration of his commitment to the educational sector, he said he personally conveyed an educational summit last year where he rolled out an "Educational Road map" for the country. Mr Jonathan also said the 6 newly established universities in each of the geo-political zones were "testimonies of their determination to give education the highest recognition it deserves".

The launch of the education digest between 2006-2010, he said had "exposed to the government steps that needs to be taken to halt certain trends before they become a big problem in future".

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5701495-147/story.csp
Re: Educate The North by Beaf: 3:28am On May 17, 2011
[size=14pt]Fresh Air!!![/size] cool cool cool
Re: Educate The North by dustydee: 8:14am On May 17, 2011
I would rather we educate Nigeria and not just a section.
Re: Educate The North by Sagamite(m): 12:00am On May 18, 2011
Beaf:

According to him, while the "South-West parades 73.6 as the literate level among the guardians and parents as well as South-South with 71.9 and South-East displaying 74.1, the North-West boasts only of 33.8, North-East 33.8 and North-Central 54.9".

He said "absenteeism from schools is more pronounced in the northern parts of the country than in the south". The chairman stated that the percentage of children between the ages of 6-16 who never attended school at all was higher in the North-East and in the North-West while almost 72 percent never attempted school at all in Borno State, compared with less than 3 percent in most of the states in the southern zones.

Where is that gadogado mooron?
Re: Educate The North by nduchucks: 12:09am On May 18, 2011
I posted the text below in another thread but it is appropriate here as well.

I also believe that we need a law in Nigeria which will mandate Primary school education and provide jail terms for parents who do not send their children to school. Those who want their children to become Almajiris should provide after school training for them. The archaic culture of enslaving millions of youths and rendering them a menace to the society, in the name of senseless implementation of an aspect of religion, must be eradicated from our mist.

I wonder why we don't have Almajiris roaming the streets of Saudi Arabia, Quatar, or even Indonesia, in great numbers (millions). Note that, the children of the Sultan of Sokoto, IBB, Atiku, Ciroma, Yerima, and other so-called leaders of the North will never be found in the streets of Nigeria roaming around as Almajiris.
Re: Educate The North by Nobody: 12:20am On May 18, 2011
Sai buhari grin
Re: Educate The North by agabaI23(m): 12:22am On May 18, 2011
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Educate the North[/size]
By Soji Bamidele
May 17, 2011 01:08AM

The chairman, National Population Commission (NPC), Samuila Makama, has painted a gloomy picture of the educational imbalance between the North and South.

Yesterday in Abuja at the launch of the Digest of Education Statistics 2006-2010 and the presentation of the 2010 Nigeria Education Data Survey Report, Mr Makama regretted the huge gap in the educational standard between the two regions.

Mr Makama added that the "less economically advantaged the household is, the more likely the child is malnourished, children in the lowest economic status around 33 percent were stunted than those in the highest economic status".

He appealed to policy makers to comprehensively consider the digest so that they could be properly guided in attacking the problems of education in some parts of the country.

Rising to the challenge

Earlier, President Goodluck Jonathan reiterated the federal government's resolve to tackle the rot in the educational sector with a view to meeting the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).

Represented at the event by the Vice President, Namadi Sambo, Mr Jonathan said that "education, education and education is our priority because without that nobody can make any headway in any area and Nigeria cannot afford to go and import foreigners from outside to come and manage our economy, educational institutions, hospitals, etc for us."

As a demonstration of his commitment to the educational sector, he said he personally conveyed an educational summit last year where he rolled out an "Educational Road map" for the country. Mr Jonathan also said the 6 newly established universities in each of the geo-political zones were "testimonies of their determination to give education the highest recognition it deserves".

The launch of the education digest between 2006-2010, he said had "exposed to the government steps that needs to be taken to halt certain trends before they become a big problem in future".

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5701495-147/story.csp

May be that reflected in the presidential election turn out
Re: Educate The North by EgbeNak: 12:31am On May 18, 2011
You no see the log in your eye but see the speck in other people's eyes.

Nigeria=A country that breeds dumb fu*cks. Hmmm!!!
Re: Educate The North by EzeUche2(m): 1:18am On May 18, 2011
I wont be happy until Igboland has 99.9% literacy.
Re: Educate The North by kcjazz(m): 1:44am On May 18, 2011
It is not just about educating the North, in the absence of unlimited resources, if the government can focus on the education of girls and women, the North will be liberated from violence and crime. Female education is the key.
Re: Educate The North by Kilode1: 2:01am On May 18, 2011
almost 72 percent never attempted school at all in Borno State, compared with less than 3 percent in most of the states in the southern zones.

This is effing unforgivable!! What!!! shocked

I propose a mass public de-balling(castration) of all living education administrators and governors of that state.
Re: Educate The North by Kilode1: 2:03am On May 18, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I also believe that we need a law in Nigeria which will mandate Primary school education and provide jail terms for parents who do not send their children to school. Those who want their children to become Almajiris should provide after school training for them. The archaic culture of enslaving millions of youths and rendering them a menace to the society, in the name of senseless implementation of an aspect of religion, must be eradicated from our mist.

I wonder why we don't have Almajiris roaming the streets of Saudi Arabia, Quatar, or even Indonesia, in great numbers (millions). Note that, the children of the Sultan of Sokoto, IBB, Atiku, Ciroma, Yerima, and other so-called leaders of the North will never be found in the streets of Nigeria roaming around as Almajiris.

+1
Re: Educate The North by agabaI23(m): 2:32am On May 18, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I also believe that we need a law in Nigeria which will mandate Primary school education and provide jail terms for parents who do not send their children to school. Those who want their children to become Almajiris should  provide after school training for them. The archaic culture of enslaving millions of youths and rendering them a menace to the society, in the name of senseless implementation of an aspect of religion, must be eradicated from our mist.

I was thinking about this few days back. That's what obtains in the UK for instance. I think a child of over 1 or 2 years is supposed to be in school or the parents will risk jail term
Re: Educate The North by EzeUche2(m): 2:37am On May 18, 2011
These numbers are quite appalling for the North. We all know who are bringing Nigeria down.
Re: Educate The North by zstranger: 4:43am On May 18, 2011
And the so called educated South, what have they done with it?
Re: Educate The North by ektbear: 5:15am On May 18, 2011
kcjazz:

It is not just about educating the North, in the absence of unlimited resources, if the government can focus on the education of girls and women, the North will be liberated from violence and crime. Female education is the key.

+1. I dunno why I feel this is true, but it sounds right.
Re: Educate The North by Sagamite(m): 8:45am On May 18, 2011
Kilode?!:

This is effing unforgivable!! What!!! shocked

I propose a mass public de-balling(castration) of all living education administrators and governors of that state.

Absolutely fcking shocking.

agabaI23:

I was thinking about this few days back. That's what obtains in the UK for instance. I think a child of over 1 or 2 years is supposed to be in school or the parents will risk jail term

Some will tell you that you are attacking Islam!

Before you know it, alot of Xtians will be dead in Kaduna and Kano for trying Boko Haramite them with Western education.

They prefer to waste their child's life by sending him to some godforsaken hell-hole to learn the Koran by heart!

Northern Leaders are cretins that have ruined the region!
Re: Educate The North by Kilode1: 9:01pm On May 29, 2011
And these idi/ots are happy to stroll up and down London and Dubai streets spending millions at Harrods, Debenhams and Dubai gold shops.

Their stvpid colleagues down south ain't any better, building unproductive hotels, buying mansions around the world and chasing blackberry girls all over the country with stolen billions.

And we want our country to compete with China, Brazil, SA, USA and England?

Ordinary PIB bill, they can't look past Shell, Chevron and Mobil bribes to pass it, because they are intellectually poor, lack education and wallow in self-hate because they are ashamed of their low state and that of the people they failed to educate.

That was why Grandfather Yakubu Gowon called his people's children worthless compared to American kids, why won't he see them as worthless, when he failed to educate them and make them productive.

Oh well.
Re: Educate The North by seanet02: 9:07pm On May 29, 2011
Educate Unblera first.
Re: Educate The North by Kilode1: 9:13pm On May 29, 2011
^^ umblera herself is a product of the same "loot rather than educate" system we had/still have.

If the leaders in her state when growing up were thinking about the future, and how Nigeria can get to the top 10 in the world, they would have done better to educate her and let her know that rowdy rice distribution is not the way to help poor people.

Umblerra is a victim too.
Re: Educate The North by olawalebabs(m): 6:45am On May 30, 2011
It is not only the north that need to be educated, southerners also need to be, because the over 70% posted are also half baked illiterate.
Re: Educate The North by emmke(m): 12:29pm On May 30, 2011
i say provide good education for the entire country, 'cos most of the southerners are just educated illiterates. Haha. For example ur Dame can't even speak good english (same as tons of others in the south) but i guess she still passes as a "literate".
Re: Educate The North by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 30, 2011
Whosoever wants to give western education to the 'believers" against the will of "Allah" must be ready to face  "judgement" sooner of later.

"Sai Boko Haran".
Re: Educate The North by violent(m): 1:03pm On May 30, 2011
noblezone:

Whosoever wants to give western education to the 'believers" against the will of "Allah" must be ready to face  "judgement" sooner of later.

"Sai Boko Haran".

lmao
Re: Educate The North by Nobody: 6:33pm On May 30, 2011
In Bauchi state college of education the school fee is around 8000naira with non indigine paying about 1000naira more. Sale of handout is strictly forbiden, as a lecturer, you have to get permission b4 imposing additional levy on the students. You can finish academic year with under 20,000naira aside ur feeding, accomodation and transportation.
In the south-west, the average college of education fee is around 30,000naira, you must buy handouts or what they called books! You must eat and transport, accommodation is not cheap at all in the south!
Yet the school in the north is sparsely populated by the locals, many southerners and middle-belters populate their schools(quality is low, but ts cheap!). In the south, parents have to even bribe their way-in due to over population.
When you tell a northerner this(I have told them personally), they will tell you that they are poor and the southerners are very rich! This I think is very wrong, I think they are very lazy and their oppression of women will continue to render them imporverish and uneducated! My mother was my sole sponsor through to my 1st year in the university, she was just a street food vendor, left for my father, I would have been a road side mechanic today.
Re: Educate The North by PROUDIGBO(m): 6:38pm On May 30, 2011
noblezone:

"Sai Boko Haran".

^^^ More to the point: they must be ready to have their head chopped off at any given time. Isn't that what boko-haram is all about ?
Re: Educate The North by Sagamite(m): 7:18pm On May 30, 2011
cogitoErgo:

When you tell a northerner this(I have told them personally), they will tell you that they are poor and the southerners are very rich! This I think is very wrong, I think they are very lazy and their oppression of women will continue to render them imporverish and uneducated! My mother was my sole sponsor through to my 1st year in the university, she was just a street food vendor, left for my father, I would have been a road side mechanic today.

This is a fcking important point.

Women play a key part in progress of children. Not everyone is lucky to have good and responsible fathers.

As corrupt governments have destroyed a lot of lives and men can not provide for their families, they hide their shame by using anger to distance their family that depends on them.

As long as the North practice their rubbish of suppressing women and resisting girl-education, they will find it a hard hill to climb to catch up.

(1) (Reply)

Did You Know That IBB Owns Julius Berger? / Please Anyone Has A Quote Of Pastor Tunde Bakare On Boko Haram? / BAGA KILLINGS: Why We Struck – JTF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.