Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,420 members, 7,819,515 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Share Your Hospital Bill Experience - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Share Your Hospital Bill Experience (15451 Views)

Benin Hospital Withholds Corpse Of 12-Year-Old Over ₦400,000 Hospital Bill / Aisha Edward: Sickle Cell Advocate Decries High Hospital Bill, Illegal Detention / Three-Year-old Girl Detained In Hospital Over Hospital Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by handsomeyinka(m): 12:47am On Aug 07, 2021
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by heykims(m): 12:56am On Aug 07, 2021
okooloyun1:
Most private hospitals are guilty of high bills. There was a time around 2017, I was having a chest pain in the night, so I went to one private hospital the next street. When I got there, they gave me injections with some drugs and placed me on a drip then I asked the doctor, what was really wrong with me, he said don't worry you will be fine. In the morning they gave me another drip, I now wondered what was really the problem because at the time I longer felt any pain again. They later brought the bill around 12pm. When I saw it, I shouted aunty nurse wetin be dis? She said, na your bill nah! my bill was 27k. I asked her how come for just ordinary chest pain? She said, you slept on the bed. After some arguments here and there, I paid 18k and left.
Learn from this analogy

11 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by GambaOsaka: 1:03am On Aug 07, 2021
Last October, I was down with covid. Omo na like film trick. I locked myself up in one of the rooms to isolate, and was managing the symptoms until one day I felt like I was going to vomit my heart out, my breath was almost ceasing. I thought about my little kids and my wife; I can leave them like this. I just banged on the walls and cried to my wife to call 911.
Naso dem come carry me for their ambulance, I reach hospital, dem just leave me for bed say my case na minor. I was about protesting but when I saw dead and unconscious people suffering from covid being rolled by I just meshionu say my case better. Later one doctor came, ran Oxygen level test, chest xray and blood pressure pere.
After he said I can go, I should be taking paracetamol and drink Gatorade. Ambulance sef no gree carry me go back home. I had to get an uber. After a month 3 different Bill's came into the mail totalling $1400 even after anthem has paid some part. I still never pay am finish till now. Na $75 per month till I pay am finish. If dem like make dem bring debt collector.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Higgies(m): 1:05am On Aug 07, 2021
Well .. not quite long I took prescription from doc instead of to the pharmacy I took my leave.
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Kudducini(m): 1:08am On Aug 07, 2021
I went to hospital on Tuesday after a drum fell on my hand and broke my nail all they did was clean clean the blood apply oxide then put bandage and drug

Gbam my money na #7000

Drug wey no go even reach 2k

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by MufasaLion: 1:39am On Aug 07, 2021
Good Health is Priceless! lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by khadaffi(m): 1:40am On Aug 07, 2021
bigpicture001:

It still happens in Nigeria a lot sef...NHIS

NHIS is only for government workers. How many government workers do we have in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Nobody: 1:50am On Aug 07, 2021
I had some irritating big boils at my left hand shoulder back.I burst them and they caused a very painful discomfort.My shoulder almost pulled out from my body.I went to a hospital near my area of residence and complain.I bought a card for #2k.my mind no sweet me for the money wey I take buy card.
Anyway,I was ushered into the doctor's office.He examined the boils and told me it would cost #13k to treat.I was shocked because I never expected that huge amount after paying #2k for a card.I told him I would be back.I left and went to a pharmacy shop.The pharmacist prescribed antibiotics and other drugs to me for less than #1500.The first day I took part of them the pain vanished.After a week the scar dried and I became myself.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by kunle75(m): 2:06am On Aug 07, 2021
smile11s:
Mine was $1.7m like seriously. You go fear America

Mine wasn't that much but fear grip me when I saw my bills in mail box. $758k

But ,I was able to approach some NGO that help me pay almost %95 am struggling with remaining %5 now.
Lolz

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by DBestDoc(f): 2:16am On Aug 07, 2021
arthurwillia:
Lol

I remembered I helped a mother who gave birth but lost the child to escape about 2 years ago
Haha
She gave birth to the child through SVD, but child was underweight, didn’t make it in the end after some treatment in the SCBU before transfer to neonatal ward.. no money to pay for bills, her baby daddy left her there.. we are from same tribe and we met each other in a strange land so we talked very well as I was an intern in that government hospital..
she spent up to two months in the hospital because they will not let her go, her load was packed to one side with other mothers that can’t pay too, They can’t escape with load because security will ask them at the gate.

Na so we plan am o, she began dropping her stuffs with me small small, and I took it to my place not far from the hospital, did it for 3 days I think and when it was complete, she just strolled out to come pack everything and she disappeared, never heard from her since then, 2019. Whew what a mess

You could have helped her campaign to raise money. That would have been a more logical help.

The thing is, she wasn’t thinking right and you being in the health sector should have known better. She ain’t getting any medical help again from that particular hospital in the future without first clearing the former bill. It’s going to be written boldly on her folder that she absconded and the total amount owed will be indicated.

Have you ever wondered why you find some patients spend like 5 months plus in the hospital after treatment? (Especially orthopedic patients)Not that they cannot abscond, after all, they are allowed to go about their daily stuff and return to the ward until bills are cleared. These guys understand the value of integrity and the fact that some emergencies can land them in that same hospital in future.
Some people get lucky along the line to find private NGOs clearing their bills or hospital management halving it and sometimes writing it off totally.

Good health is everything and shouldn’t be taken for granted.

12 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by DBestDoc(f): 2:21am On Aug 07, 2021
khadaffi:

NHIS is only for government workers. How many government workers do we have in Nigeria?

Not only for government workers
Private individuals can enroll.
Go to any teaching hospital or NHIS office and make enquiry.
I advise everyone living in Nigeria to please enroll.

Healthcare is not cheap.

8 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by chiiraq802(m): 3:21am On Aug 07, 2021
cnnamoko:
Never had a bad experience but, I know of a guy that was slammed 180k bill. The family members know that there is no way they ll cough out that amount.

so everytime they visit, they kept assuring the guy. John dont worry we ll get you out of here! on their way out they ll pick one of John' shirt out. This was happening for over 2 weeks till they cleared all John's belongings without the nurses knowing.

so on the d day immediately the nurse in charge went to ease herself, John was made to run and never look back.

This film part 2 go sweet.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by khadaffi(m): 3:55am On Aug 07, 2021
DBestDoc:

Not only for government workers
Private individuals can enroll.
Go to any teaching hospital or NHIS office and make enquiry.
I advise everyone living in Nigeria to please enroll.

Healthcare is not cheap.

I'm not too sure you understand how the NHIS works. Teaching hospital is not where you enrol for NHIS. In theory, corporate organisations and government workers are to enroll for NHIS, in practice only government workers use it and enroll for it. The requirements is not convenient for most SME. I'm saying this because I've once inquired about registering my workers for the policy. It is not realistic. If in doubt, please name any private business enrolled in NHIS.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by luizpippo(m): 4:19am On Aug 07, 2021
I have never been a patient in a hospital. Since i left primary school, i have only entered the hospital once to visit a burn victim.

Over 2 decades

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Stankovic22: 4:41am On Aug 07, 2021
Remember the day a friend got drunk and was rushed to a hospital because he mixed several concoction. Doctor gave him injection and drip o. Before we knew what was happening they brought bill of 95k.

Mehnn! For one week we were planning how to escape with the guy from hospital not knowing that the doctor was aware and has been giving him sleeping tablet.

Bros was always sleeping in the hospital until the day his real agbero friends we didn't know came to the hospital and broke bottles.... Nurse on duty ranaway and Huncle was carried with his sleepy eyes from the hospital.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by jy2kbeyond(m): 5:27am On Aug 07, 2021
onojaford:
Has there been an occasion when you absconded from the hospital after treatment because you couldn't pay the bills? Please share your experiences here. I found myself in a condition like that recently.

You are indirectly asking people to flaunt their criminal records.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Igbankpa(m): 5:41am On Aug 07, 2021
Was feeling feverish so I went to a one hospital like that to see the doctor hoping that it will be a matter of him running a test and prescribing drugs for me

When I met the nurses and told them about my condition they asked me to lie down and wait for the doctor. Before I knew it big big drips and injections where flying around, different people where coming to take my blood and urine samples.

I was surprised and I kept asking what was wrong with me but they wouldn't tell me. Their response was "the doctor will be with you soon"

To cut long story short, they made me spend two days in that hospital for malaria and then slammed me with a bill of 40k. When on a normal, I nor suppose spend pass 2k

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Resurgent2016: 5:46am On Aug 07, 2021
khadaffi:

Hmo dey na. Nigeria is bad, but the private health guys still get funding courtesy of hmo. God bless Obj for that

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by mfm04622: 5:51am On Aug 07, 2021
Callmegerald2:
I recently welcomed a son. The bill wey follow this boy is well over N220,000, this is aside baby clothing, diapers, wipes, cot, bathing kit, hanger and so many other stuff, which gulped at least N100,000. The thing shock me.

Wetin man go do nah? For this Buhari times... What needs to be done gat to be done.

Go for health insurance for your family!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by protocol(m): 6:25am On Aug 07, 2021
Callmegerald2:
I recently welcomed a son. The bill wey follow this boy is well over N220,000, this is aside baby clothing, diapers, wipes, cot, bathing kit, hanger and so many other stuff, which gulped at least N100,000. The thing shock me.

Wetin man go do nah? For this Buhari times... What needs to be done gat to be done.

Thank God for safe delivery. people die while doing this and still pay the hospital bill. People pay upto 2m for ivf and sometimes it fails. The joy of a baby is inestimable. You win.

12 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by ridbell01(m): 6:26am On Aug 07, 2021
In 2012 when I was doing my IT Mararaba in Nasarawa state. I just have developed a chronic stomach pain and I was rushed to a private hospital someone around Abacha road. I was given drips and some drug and second day the nurse brought 35k bill for me when my salary was 20k i argued with them for hours before my oga paid the bill since then to go private hospital is like am going to war

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by EmptyGarden(m): 6:26am On Aug 07, 2021
smile11s:
Na spirit transplant Dem do for you?

13 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by herdhexy(m): 6:41am On Aug 07, 2021
My son was supposed to have an operation on Aug 3...we got to hospital on August 1st but was told the doctor are on strike and told to go home........ when living the hospital..we where told to pay additional 3500 after paying for covid 19 test and operation fee on a 10 month old child.....only God will help us in this country

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Algold: 6:45am On Aug 07, 2021
For your mind u don make sense.
Just because you nor they the shore of 9ja.

Uncouth tongue try make sense they flow through am

OLULAW:
Went for football training yesterday evening. I sustained injury around my ankle that felt like muscle strain. By lunchtime today, it feels swollen. I couldn’t rest my weight on that leg. I headed for the hospital. It was unusually busy, but I was attended to - saw a nurse who recorded my attendance, then a doctor who requested an x-ray, a radiographer who performed the x-ray, then orthopaedics who together with the doctor discussed the x-ray with me ( it was a minor fracture), and finally a nurse who put on the pop for me. I headed back home after around 2 hours.

Cost = £0.00 courtesy my PAYE tax and NI contribution that hasn’t been misappropriated with impunity by stupid Politicians.
Location = Liverpool, UK.
Why = Here in the UK, taxes and NI Contributions fix your medical treatments. You’re not charged. Will it ever happen again in Nigeria? That’s what Awolowo delivered in UPN states and hoped to achieve nationally. Obasanjo denied him in 1979 and handed over to Shagari. You guys are in for a long haul. You’re screwed for life.
TELL THAT STUPID PASTOR TALKING ABOUT NIGERIANS ABROAD, HE REMAINS STUPID UNTIL HE RECOUNTED HIS SILLY VIEWS.

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by GeneralB: 6:49am On Aug 07, 2021
smile11s:
How many kidneys did you buy

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by adetunjioludami(m): 6:50am On Aug 07, 2021
My Mom was given a ride by a neighbor, while she was about dropping from the vehicle, the sienna door pinned 2 fingers. The neighbor rushed her to a private hospital in the area and called me. I rushed down and saw them stitching my helpless mom's finger. I asked why stitch, the lady nurse said it was a deep cut. I examined the second finger and realized it was still bleeding, immediately the lady nurse saw it she exclaimed "ha another deep cut we must stitch" I almost slapped her. I got cotton wool from her and applied pressure for a while and the bleeding stopped. I asked for the bill and voila a whooping 9K. I was too angry to protest. The neighbor paid and we left. 2 days after,my Mom complained of severe pain at the stitched site so I decided to just take her to the hospital I'm registered. The doctor checked it and was moved to tears that why would anyone stitch a cut as such. The stitching further increased my mom's pain and reduced the rate of healing Just because dem wan collect money..let's be careful out there. Any private hospital this days is a business enterprise first then a health care provider.

22 Likes

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Eyeness: 7:01am On Aug 07, 2021
You are a wicked person
arthurwillia:
Lol

I remembered I helped a mother who gave birth but lost the child to escape about 2 years ago
Haha
She gave birth to the child through SVD, but child was underweight, didn’t make it in the end after some treatment in the SCBU before transfer to neonatal ward.. no money to pay for bills, her baby daddy left her there.. we are from same tribe and we met each other in a strange land so we talked very well as I was an intern in that government hospital..
she spent up to two months in the hospital because they will not let her go, her load was packed to one side with other mothers that can’t pay too, They can’t escape with load because security will ask them at the gate.

Na so we plan am o, she began dropping her stuffs with me small small, and I took it to my place not far from the hospital, did it for 3 days I think and when it was complete, she just strolled out to come pack everything and she disappeared, never heard from her since then, 2019. Whew what a mess

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Eyeness: 7:03am On Aug 07, 2021
Callmegerald2:

So you didn't know the cost of having a baby before opening leg for a man abi?

Mtcheeeeeeeeeew
Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by Chuksmonika(m): 7:05am On Aug 07, 2021
okooloyun1:
Most private hospitals are guilty of high bills. There was a time around 2017, I was having a chest pain in the night, so I went to one private hospital the next street. When I got there, they gave me injections with some drugs and placed me on a drip then I asked the doctor, what was really wrong with me, he said don't worry you will be fine. In the morning they gave me another drip, I now wondered what was really the problem because at the time I no longer felt any pain again. They later brought the bill around 12pm. When I saw it, I shouted aunty nurse wetin be dis? She said, na your bill nah! my bill was 27k. I asked her how come for just ordinary chest pain? She said, you slept on the bed. After some arguments here and there, I paid 18k and left.
Linus Mba, which hospital go bargain price with you?... If then give you bill, them don give you!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by DrFunmisticGlow: 7:06am On Aug 07, 2021
Callmegerald2:

next time oga!!

Wear a condom.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by TroubleMaker47(m): 7:24am On Aug 07, 2021
okooloyun1:
Most private hospitals are guilty of high bills. There was a time around 2017, I was having a chest pain in the night, so I went to one private hospital the next street. When I got there, they gave me injections with some drugs and placed me on a drip then I asked the doctor, what was really wrong with me, he said don't worry you will be fine. In the morning they gave me another drip, I now wondered what was really the problem because at the time I no longer felt any pain again. They later brought the bill around 12pm. When I saw it, I shouted aunty nurse wetin be dis? She said, na your bill nah! my bill was 27k. I asked her how come for just ordinary chest pain? She said, you slept on the bed. After some arguments here and there, I paid 18k and left.
Trust me, it's a cheap hospital!
2nights 3 days in hospital for ulcer stomach ache, 78k!
Welcome to ph cry

1 Like

Re: Share Your Hospital Bill Experience by wajaja: 7:28am On Aug 07, 2021
OLULAW:
Went for football training yesterday evening. I sustained injury around my ankle that felt like muscle strain. By lunchtime today, it feels swollen. I couldn’t rest my weight on that leg. I headed for the hospital. It was unusually busy, but I was attended to - saw a nurse who recorded my attendance, then a doctor who requested an x-ray, a radiographer who performed the x-ray, then orthopaedics who together with the doctor discussed the x-ray with me ( it was a minor fracture), and finally a nurse who put on the pop for me. I headed back home after around 2 hours.

Cost = £0.00 courtesy my PAYE tax and NI contribution that hasn’t been misappropriated with impunity by stupid Politicians.
Location = Liverpool, UK.
Why = Here in the UK, taxes and NI Contributions fix your medical treatments. You’re not charged. Will it ever happen again in Nigeria? That’s what Awolowo delivered in UPN states and hoped to achieve nationally. Obasanjo denied him in 1979 and handed over to Shagari. You guys are in for a long haul. You’re screwed for life.
TELL THAT STUPID PASTOR TALKING ABOUT NIGERIANS ABROAD, HE REMAINS STUPID UNTIL HE RECOUNTED HIS SILLY VIEWS.

I had a major fracture...broke both my Tibia and Fibula. The skin of my leg tore and my bone came out from there. The surgery cost me nothing and u know what, I live in Nigeria...we have HMO here as well.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lassa Fever Kills Anambra Doctor And Three Others / Ganduje Completes Dawakin Tofa Hospital Upgrade (Photos) / Rising COVID-19 Cases: FG Plans Tough Actions, NESG, LCCI Fear Fresh Lockdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.