Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? (342 Views)

Update On ASUU Review on the suspension of strike / Book Review On The Blind Gods By Maurice Udom / Nigerians Are Receiving Expired Education - Gamalier O. Prince, U.S. Varsity VC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2021
My review

1. One cannot be good and act good all the time and in all situations, the one who insists on acting nicely and virtuously all the time will only pave the way towards his own destruction, one must know when to be ruthless, violent, sly, deceitful and cunning in order to preserve himself.

2. He points out that there is a difference between how we should behave and how actually people behave, and between how the world really is and how the world should be, he insists that we must be realistic and practical and study how the world and human nature really are, not how they are supposed to be.

3. Good people tend to believe in fate and that their goodness will bring them good things and success and happiness, but ‘bad’ people are more practical, realistic action-driven and result-driven, and thus they have more chances of success.

4. I’m not sure about this point, but I think that Macchiavelli believed that religions are man-made, and that our obsession with acting nicely and virtuously stems form these kinds of beliefs.

5. In order to succeed, Macchiavelli thinks that one must be a man and a beast, and from beasts he should be a lion and a fox, a lion to frighten and deter his enemies and opponents, and a fox to detect and avoid traps and to outsmart his less smart opponents. A fox only will not survive in face of wolves and lions, and a lion will be easily outsmarted by foxes, so one must be both.

6. Bribery and accommodation are effective tools.

7. Generosity is not appreciated, as more and more will be expected.

8. A weak leader will have a staff of flatterers and will thus miss opportunities of wisdom.

9. Leaving fortune to God makes one lazy and ultimately helpless.

10. Scholars are useless as advisers because they will reject simple truth in practical matters.

11. You must tell advisers that you can handle the truth, without reprise.

12. You must know that few will stand against the general opinion.

13. Deception should always be suspected and outward appearance is the easiest deception.

14. Wisdom is in being able to choose the lesser evil.

Let's drop our reviews here
#Academic weekend

1 Like

Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by illicit(m): 6:58pm On Aug 06, 2021
Very good book
Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 06, 2021
illicit:
Very good book
Sure it is, did you enjoy reading it?.
Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by LegalWolf: 7:37pm On Aug 06, 2021
[s]The book is unarguably one of the best books I’ve read. It doesn’t just touch of philosophy alone, but expands to other notable areas of human endeavors.[/s]

From what I’ve read in the book, and what I do tell people, the book boils down to one point: there’s no absolute in leadership (at least, as it applies to prince). You can’t be absolutely kind, absolutely generous (he made valid points spending on enemies resources tho), absolutely truthful etc. A perfect blend of good and bad makes an excellent prince (leader).

If my memory serves me right, I guess he indicated in the first chapter of his letter (the book itself is a letter to one medici) that he would one day write about the affairs of a republic. I wish he did live long to write such book as the principles there will be useful in modern day.

And finally, and on and unrelated note, time is a leveler. He made distinctions between the affairs of France and Turkey and why he thinks it’s easier to conquer France than hold France while it’s harder to conquer Turkey but easier to hold it. At the moment, both countries are basically the same.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 06, 2021
LegalWolf:
The book is unarguably one of the best books I’ve read. It doesn’t just touch of philosophy alone, but expands to other notable areas of human endeavors.

From what I’ve read in the book, and what I do tell people, the book boils down to one point: there’s no absolute in leadership (at least, as it applies to prince). You can’t be absolutely kind, absolutely generous (he made valid points spending on enemies resources tho), absolutely truthful etc. A perfect blend of good and bad makes an excellent prince (leader).

If my memory serves me right, I guess he indicated in the first chapter of his letter (the book itself is a letter to one medici) that he would one day write about the affairs of a republic. I wish he did live long to write such book as the principles there will be useful in modern day.

And finally, and on and unrelated note, time is a leveler. He made distinctions between the affairs of France and Turkey and why he thinks it’s easier to conquer France than hold France while it’s harder to conquer Turkey but easier to hold it. At the moment, both countries are basically the same.
Bravo!
You are totally on point. I also love the way Machiavelli was very clear about his ideas... He communicated them in simple and clear words. His attitude were blunt and clearly against the present government. I also love his idea of 'Force and ruthlessness'.
Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by illicit(m): 7:54pm On Aug 06, 2021
Doradorwa:
Sure it is, did you enjoy reading it?.

Yes
Someone stole my copy

I learnt how to use gifts from it
Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by LegalWolf: 9:04pm On Aug 06, 2021
Doradorwa:
Bravo!
You are totally on point. I also love the way Machiavelli was very clear about his ideas... He communicated them in simple and clear words. His attitude were blunt and clearly against the present government. I also love his idea of 'Force and ruthlessness'.

I do friend, we all do. At the moment, I’ve been smothered with work. What other book are u reading?

You can make a recommendation, I’ll check them out
Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 06, 2021
LegalWolf:

I do friend, we all do. At the moment, I’ve been smothered with work. What other book are u reading?

You can make a recommendation, I’ll check them out
I read The Republic by Plato sometime last month. Believe me it's an amazing book that covers plato's ideal state. A state where justice must be paramount and justice must be melted out without fear. Equality among men and women must be respected. Women must be given a space in the military and power must not be unitary, The citizens must be able to choose their leader in the lower caste. (An hint of democracy)

The book definitely cover everything including what education should be like in plato's ideal state. Everything about the book is simply base on justice. You should try reading it... My next is Sun Tzu 'Art of war'.
Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by Dawson126: 1:12am On Aug 07, 2021
His view of innovation.
The roles of the powerful people fighting it
The attitude of the people the innovation is meant for
The benefits the powerful fighting it derived.
Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by LegalWolf: 8:18am On Aug 07, 2021
Doradorwa:
I read The Republic by Plato sometime last month. Believe me it's an amazing book that covers plato's ideal state. A state where justice must be paramount and justice must be melted out without fear. Equality among men and women must be respected. Women must be given a space in the military and power must not be unitary, The citizens must be able to choose their leader in the lower caste. (An hint of democracy)

The book definitely cover everything including what education should be like in plato's ideal state. Everything about the book is simply base on justice. You should try reading it... My next is Sun Tzu 'Art of war'.

I will. I have read the Art of War and believe it is that boringggggggggg. In fact, it's more of a parable book than what you will typically expect to see (for example, the prince). But in any event, it contains quite a lot of life hacks for a general (i mean a real leader of soldiers). You will find "Master Sun's' lessons quite instructive when it comes to using deception to achieve goals, organizational coherence, etc.

I want to delve into literature a bit. I have been reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and it is really amazing. If not that I'm smothered with work, should have finished. Trust me, you will enjoy it when you give it a try.

Lasly, just enjoy yourself to the fullest with those books dear. Will catch up with you later
Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 07, 2021
LegalWolf:

I will. I have read the Art of War and believe it is that boringggggggggg. In fact, it's more of a parable book than what you will typically expect to see (for example, the prince). But in any event, it contains quite a lot of life hacks for a general (i mean a real leader of soldiers). You will find "Master Sun's' lessons quite instructive when it comes to using deception to achieve goals, organizational coherence, etc.

I want to delve into literature a bit. I have been reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and it is really amazing. If not that I'm smothered with work, should have finished. Trust me, you will enjoy it when you give it a try.

Lasly, just enjoy yourself to the fullest with those books dear. Will catch up with you later
If you love fiction then I have one or two I can recommend to you. For relaxation and all... For introvert like me book is what I've got.... Pls do have a good day ahead.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Review on 'The Prince' By Nicollo Machiavelli? by LegalWolf: 9:19am On Aug 07, 2021
Doradorwa:
If you love fiction then I have one or two I can recommend to you. For relaxation and all... For introvert like me book is what I've got.... Pls do have a good day ahead.

Yeah. When I’m ready, I’ll let you know. Nice chatting with you too.

(1) (Reply)

Ask Me About Loan / Institute Of Architects Pledges To Support Kenpoly / Urgent Vacancies!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.