Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far (27526 Views)

Tokyo2020 Female Basketball: Nigeria Loses To The USA 72 - 81 / Tokyo2020 Male Basketball: Nigeria Loses To Germany 92 - 99 / Tokyo2020 Basketball: Nigeria Lost To Australia 64-84 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Godbless3(m): 8:32am On Aug 07, 2021
hakym619:
I'm pained.

Is this as a result of poor planning. I feel we have talents too in Africa.
Can it be that those white athlete guys are doing doping and they intentionally turned a blind eye to it ?

Sharrap ur dirty apc buhari mouth.... What you put is what you get. Whats the funding in ur nations and whole planning process?
What the state of facilities in ur nation?
Whats have the ministry do to encourage the athletes?
Look the puma deal for example and athlete having to wash his/her only kit to use the following day.
Stop blaming others for your misfortune.
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Habayomie(m): 8:33am On Aug 07, 2021
Paralympics is Nigeria's specialization.

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by greenie77: 8:34am On Aug 07, 2021
kevoh:
It's because Africans rarely participate in most events. From shooting, boat rowing, alpine skiing to diving, you will not see any African participant. Only when it comes to race, long jump, wrestling or weight lifting would you see Africans participate.

Even at that, the one they participate in what is their performance? Give it to Kenyans, they are more consistent in winning medals in long distance races as even the gold medals Uganda has won so far is from the tribemen of the Kenyan long distance runners who hapoen to geographically fall within Ugandan territory.

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Ppogbae: 8:35am On Aug 07, 2021
This needs to be updated. Kenya has way more medals now
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by vivalavida(m): 8:35am On Aug 07, 2021
Uganda has two more gold oo in the women's 3000 steeplechase and mens 5,000 meters

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Kacism(m): 8:37am On Aug 07, 2021
I don't think African countries can ever out compete countries like USA or china with the amount of money they put into sports and the infrastructure that they have which is sadly lacking in many African countries and Nigeria in particular.

With that being said, these countries also see sports as a science and they study the physiological and psychological aspect of atheleticism which helps produce a better and overall complete athlete.

The third leg of it is that countries like USA, Australia, Germany has continued to co-opt players from other nations into sports where they are not very good at. These countries listed above all fielded Chinese looking players as their table tennis players in this Tokyo Olympics.
Their middle distance gold winner Athing mu is from South Sudan representing USA and many other examples.

The final part of it is that All African countries usually compete in limited Olympic sporting events where they believe that have more advantage of wining and therefore wins limited medals. No African country competed in sports like fencing, row boating, Hepthathlon, decathlon, javelin, pole vaulting, bmx riding, Archery, 10m air pistol, sports climbing, Surfing, race walks, Skate boarding, Swimming except South Africa to mention but a few.

So with all these, I ask, how can we ever compete with theses guys??

3 Likes

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by dchamp234(m): 8:50am On Aug 07, 2021
1bunne4lif:
AFRICA! MY AFRICA!! when shalt thou rule the world?
Seriously who are you referring this question to??
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by kevoh(m): 8:58am On Aug 07, 2021
greenie77:

Even at that, the one they participate in what is their performance? Give it to Kenyans, they are more consistent in winning medals in long distance races as even the gold medals Uganda has won so far is from the tribemen of the Kenyan long distance runners who hapoen to geographically fall within Ugandan territory.
The one they participate in, you have only one participant most times. It reduces the chances of obtaining a medal considerably. In an event, you will see like 3 US participants. There's no way, one of the three won't grab a medal. Sometimes all three grab the medals for that event. It's hard for Africans to train and qualify for such events. Most Africans fund their training from their pockets, unlike the US.

Ugandans and Kenyans are lucky to be blessed by their geographical location which aids them to win long distance races but asides that they still fall short like other African countries in other events. Infact, all it takes is for the US or some western country to offer their athletes citizenship or some juicy offer, then watch how they struggle to win any medal. Infact, praise should even go more to the African countries who are not blessed geographically or by nature but still manage to win a few medals.
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by IamGreen1(f): 9:06am On Aug 07, 2021
Ochari:

https://felicitygists.com/statistics-african-countries-at-the-tokyo-2020-olympics/

Olodo op, this can't be correct. Me wey dey watch am wella and I've seen Kenya collected up to 3 gold medals in long distance race.

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by neighbourhud: 9:06am On Aug 07, 2021
Cerebellum:
Hehe

Sometimes I just think Africa is cursed, honestly...When I was young, I will think, "why haven't any African country won the world cup"?
Even Ghana that was supposed to enter ordinary semi or quarter- final, dem village people cursed broda Gyan leg put am over the bar, Werey Eleribuu Suarez dey jubilate

Wey God for don put me for Ireland or Normay,, Anyways Issoryt cry

I wept that day... I almost destroyed our TV that day.
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by nnamdi640: 9:13am On Aug 07, 2021
The most wicked and useless continent on this planet earth.
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by 2dominate: 9:17am On Aug 07, 2021
Techguy96:

I'm talking of Africa nations collectively. Nigeria has a population of over 200 million people but atheist n pan africanist are less than 2000. I'm talking of the country collectively, not some few individuals.
But to answer your question, the likes of Wole Soyinka is doing well, the likes of Sowore is doing well n fighting for the country too.
I think i get your point, but their achievements is not something religion can deter you from achieving.
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by stasius: 9:18am On Aug 07, 2021
PCG001:
gιanт oғ____________________❓❓

Giant of ụmụ ọkụkọ.

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by lkillbrokehoes: 9:20am On Aug 07, 2021
masterP042:
It's not coincidence that countries that work also perform well in the games. It's not rocket science, reminds me of school, where the class topper always perform well in almost all subjects.
Developed countries took all the Gold
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by theTranscriber: 9:40am On Aug 07, 2021
Doyou2019:

MEDIOCRITY
this isn't mediocre
This is failure

Assuming we had 20 medals it would be mediocrity

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by DropsMic(m): 10:06am On Aug 07, 2021
Commentor:

Speaking for yourself.

Commentor:

Speaking for yourself.

There's none as blind as those who will not see
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Omolomo4eva(m): 10:10am On Aug 07, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Egypt has won 4 medals, but all the medals are bronze.

Egypt, South Africa and Nigeria are bunch of local champions in all African games
Exactly
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Commentor: 10:14am On Aug 07, 2021
DropsMic:

There's none as blind as those who will not see

We are saying the same thing.
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by richmanrichard: 10:37am On Aug 07, 2021
Ochari:

https://felicitygists.com/statistics-african-countries-at-the-tokyo-2020-olympics/
stop paring nigeria with uganda n kenya.The two have won gold
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by porthouse7(f): 10:40am On Aug 07, 2021
Ochari:

ur medal update on Africa is so outdated... U knw how many gold medal Kenya won yesterday
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by stainlessnature: 10:40am On Aug 07, 2021
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Ekele22(m): 10:56am On Aug 07, 2021
Nigeria the gi ant. of africa
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Techguy96(m): 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2021
2dominate:

I think i get your point, but their achievements is not something religion can deter you from achieving.
To some point it can. Religion give people a kind of hope n comfort even in the mist of suffering. Alot of Nigerians has accepted their fate in suffering and believe they will get their reward in heaven. Mind you no one has proven heaven to be a real place.

Religion also teach us to obey the govt, even a govt like Nigeria should be obeyed that's why you don't see pastors like Adeboye n the rest never criticising the govt.

Secondly poverty in the land has many so many people weak n hopeless that instead of fighting for our right, we just pray about it even though in real sense prayer doesn't really work but religion teaches us to pray.
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by hakym619(m): 12:31pm On Aug 07, 2021
Godbless3:

Sharrap ur dirty apc buhari mouth.... What you put is what you get. Whats the funding in ur nations and whole planning process?
What the state of facilities in ur nation?
Whats have the ministry do to encourage the athletes?
Look the puma deal for example and athlete having to wash his/her only kit to use the following day.
Stop blaming others for your misfortune.

@bolded was unecessary.
You just addressed me as if I was the head of the Olympics planning committee or as if I'm Sunday Dare - the honourable minister for sports and youth development

undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Emperormartin(m): 2:10pm On Aug 07, 2021
Sonnobax15:
undecided
Shame on Buhari's administration......So tay ordinary Uganda don dey for the same level of sports with Nigeria lipsrsealed

Uganda pass us. Dem win gold yesterday in men 5000meters
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by obonujoker(m): 2:16pm On Aug 07, 2021
Kenya won Gold in walking 50Km women
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by Imustnottalk: 2:47pm On Aug 07, 2021
1bunne4lif:
AFRICA! MY AFRICA!! when shalt thou rule the world?
very soon and we are getting there grin
Re: Tokyo2020: How African Countries Have Fared So Far by JideOluwalana: 4:09pm On Aug 07, 2021
So far we have a higher population than other African nations, we should at this level be making Africa proud.
Sorry administration's collapse in this part of the contingent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Echejile Disqualified As First Goal Scorer Against Tahiti / Messi Out Of Super Eagles Friendly / Giorgio Chiellini & Leonardo Bonucci Criticize Ronaldo For Rejoining Man United

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.