Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Meet First Female Master Mariner In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Meet First Female Master Mariner In Nigeria (613 Views)

Princess Owowoh Graduates In UK As First Female Officer Cadet From Nigeria / Kafayat Sanni: Nigeria's First Female Fighter Pilot (Pictures) / Meet Priscilla Ekwerre: First Female To Have Her Signature On The 1000Naira Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet First Female Master Mariner In Nigeria by captain2020(m): 6:04pm On Aug 07, 2021
FIRST FEMALE MASTER MARINER IN NIGERIA

My name is Captain Roselyn Tortor Kete, a female master mariner with over 30 years of sea experience, 10 years as certified & licensed master mariner in the field and still in active service.

I’m from Sangana Town in Akassa Kingdom in Brass L.G.A of Bayelsa State.

I started my carrier as a young female seafarer through the motivation of my father who was an NPA tug master.

On retirement, he came up with a local cargo wooden boat (called MV Omugo Queen) where I first saw steering wheel, that was where my interest developed.

During my trips with him on one of the holidays, I saw a sail boat on the river with many children (10), the sight inspired me.

When I enquired from my father if I can join them, he directed me to Borokiri Almarine yard in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

In another development was the MV SASA RIVER with captain Beatrice Vormawah who became the first female ship captain in Africa, where our sail training master Captain John Wright took us on an excursion to NPA Port to see the Captain of SASA RIVER. With this meeting I was highly inspired.

In 1986, I joined the Sail Training Association (STA) of Nigeria, as a Seamanship Trainee, then later proceeded to Sport Institute of Rivers State Isaka (Former Sea School) where I continued my studies in seamanship, marine Navigation and communication, and there after joined Ocean Inscape Nigeria Limited (OIL) for my cadetship on board MV Schilturm in July 22nd 1992.

After six months of training, Shell Nig. Ltd set up External Exams for those that wrote the mock Exam’s in June 1991 for Nautical Science in which I was the only female student among them.

In 2002, I was called upon by the STA of Nigeria for winning the award of commodore’s cup of Nation by Commodore Fengason and His Royal Highness (HRH) King Alfred Diete-Spiff, the first military governor of Rivers State, who up till date is my coach and adviser.

After then I proceeded to Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron to seek for admission into a short term course on mate home trade and was working with these licenses until the STCW 95/ white list convention was set up by IMO where sailors were trooping into Ghana.

In August, 2000, I was enlisted for GMDSS and STCW courses in Ghana by my company Tidewater International known as Tidex Nigeria Limited. After which I enrolled for my class 3 deck Officers (COC) in the year 2001.

Returning from Ghana and still working with Tidex Nigeria Limited, I was called and honoured in 2009 with an empowerment award as first female marine captain in Nigeria by Mrs Alanyingi Sylva, wife of the Governor of Bayelsa State as at that time His Excellency Timipre Sylva was the Governor, after which I continued with COC class 2/1 in 2005 through 2006.

The year 2012 I got my master mariner license and still working with it till date.

If I can get to this level in the system from the scratch; I therefore encourage every young female sailors/cadets (seafarers) to uphold to their dreams to get to the top. Though it might not be easy but its very possible to achieve.

Note: Every dream is attainable and goal achievable, from your fellow female seafarers.

Roselyn Tortor Kete is so proud to be a master mariner and an MSC honor up to date.

@CrazyMan
@1forall
@segun

Please push this to front-page let's celebrate her.

(1) (Reply)

Earn $100k – $500k Working In Canada / Light Up Your Creativity (a Training Workshop) / Career In Makeup Artistry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.