Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,361 members, 7,815,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? (1408 Views)

Mali Drops French As Official Language. / Why Saraki Cannot Be Nigeria’s President – APC / Atiku: "I Am Not Desperate To Be Nigeria's President" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by BigBashiru: 9:52pm On Aug 07, 2021
Nigeria's Official Language should be all native languages first before English. Nigerians pls reject colonization now.....
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by olaboy33(m): 9:57pm On Aug 07, 2021
Don't create problems where there is none.

Would the yorubas accept Hausa as Nigeria's official language or would the Fulani's accept igbo as the official language.

The world needed a universal means of communication, English was accepted.

Any other thing you think of that is your problem.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by theTranscriber: 9:59pm On Aug 07, 2021
Assuming there was only one ethnic group
It would work
gidgiddy:

Nigerians reject colonization? You are already accepting colonization by calling your self a "Nigerian", a colonial name a white woman created in London
lol
Says a fool that kill himself for "biafra" a name created by uncircumcised Portuguese cheesy
Is this not funny?

2 Likes

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by gidgiddy: 10:14pm On Aug 07, 2021
BigBashiru:
Nigeria's Official Language should be all native languages first before English. Nigerians pls reject colonization now.....

Nigerians reject colonization? You are already accepting colonization by calling your self a "Nigerian", a colonial name a white woman created in London

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by BigBashiru: 10:19pm On Aug 07, 2021
gidgiddy:

exactly.... so wen is the name change to UAR happening??

1 Like

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by BigBashiru: 10:20pm On Aug 07, 2021
olaboy33:
Don't create problems where there is none.

Would the yorubas accept Hausa as Nigeria's official language or would the Fulani's accept igbo as the official language.

Any other thing you think of that is your problem.

no mandarin is widely spoken too just as much as English.. .. English was not "accepted" English came to be thru British Colonization of north America, Africa etc
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by OoOoOoOoOoO(m): 10:26pm On Aug 07, 2021
olaboy33:

English is troglodyte-tier language, it should have been German instead.
Besides, If the entire world truly started using English as their official language, the social cohesion and national identity of each country would be deeply affected, not to mention the tremendous loss of culture and traditions.

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by ojun50(m): 10:45pm On Aug 07, 2021
Na mumu question be this
English wey we don dey speak since how many years

2 Likes

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 07, 2021
R u okay at all

Should we adopted China instead

1 Like

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Sergio101(m): 1:48am On Aug 08, 2021
Maybe we ought to be using Igbo language as our lingua franca undecided undecided
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by leofab(f): 2:07am On Aug 08, 2021
The lost race.

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Perfectbeing(m): 2:36am On Aug 08, 2021
I remember when I was in a viewing center watching an international match during the recent Euros. One of the team was singing their national anthem in their language. Then one patriotic Nigeria commented, "na like this normal countries they do things. They sing their anthem in their language. Nigeria own juss different.."
Normally I don't talk much in viewing centers but that day I asked the dude which one of the language should Nigeria use in singing their anthem. If we should use Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba? He said "why can't we sing the three of them?". Then I asked him whether any of the normal countries he was talking about sang three national anthems. He became mute. Then I also said, if we wanted to be "normal" we would have to sing the national anthem in all 300+ languages we have in Nigeria. The guy was silent the whole of the match.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Perfectbeing(m): 2:39am On Aug 08, 2021
leofab:
The lost race.
I would have taken this pic seriously if it was a black man that made that quote and it was written in one of the indigenous languages we have here in Nigeria. undecided
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Nobody: 2:41am On Aug 08, 2021
Hausa should’ve been our 2nd national language, mainly due to the historical context of the culture and language. Just my opinion but this country would’ve been so much better if we could all speak Hausa
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Righthussle: 3:00am On Aug 08, 2021
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Parisian: 3:07am On Aug 08, 2021
Why are you using the white man's internet? Why Using his lettering system? Why using paper currency invented by the white man? Why did you go to university, an educational system invented by the white man? Why are you using a phone?

Pls just park for corner.
BigBashiru:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Ulunne777(f): 3:14am On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:
Hausa should’ve been our 2nd national language, mainly due to the historical context of the culture and language. Just my opinion but this country would’ve been so much better if we could all speak Hausa

nonsense and Hausa.Is that why you ppl are rehearsing it with the Army? Why not igbo or Yoruba?Which of them is devoid of history and culture .

1 Like

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by EagleNest(m): 3:52am On Aug 08, 2021
If Nigeria remains one, we have no other choice than to maintain the status quo. It was the mistake of 1914 that have kept us locked to this default. But if Nigeria become unbundled, then the mini nations in Nigeria will go with their respective languages as their own official language.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by jahsharon: 4:01am On Aug 08, 2021
BigBashiru:

So, should we pick Kanuri, Erik or Ijaw language?

Only countries that have few native languages can use them as official languages. There over 250 divisive Ethnic groups and languages in Nigeria.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by joyandfaith: 4:35am On Aug 08, 2021
BigBashiru:

If you reject colonialism, you should reject one nigeria as well.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by joyandfaith: 4:38am On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

It should be yoruba. Lagos is centre of commerce. Yoruba people are known worldwide. Igbo should be another consideration.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Nobody: 5:33am On Aug 08, 2021
[s]
Ulunne777:

nonsense and Hausa.Is that why you pal are restringing it with the Armed Forces? Why not igbo or Yoruba?Which of them is devoid of history and culture

[/s]

Go nab sense, then come back and quote me.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Nobody: 5:35am On Aug 08, 2021
joyandfaith:

It should be yoruba. Lagos is centre of commerce. Yoruba people are known worldwide. Igbo should be another consideration.

You are entitled to your opinion as well. Hausa was the lingua franca of commerce back in the days even more so than yoruba.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by theTranscriber: 7:03am On Aug 08, 2021
Parisian:
Why are you using the white man's internet? Why Using his lettering system? Why using paper currency invented by the white man? Why did you go to university, a educational system invented by the white man? Why are you using a phone?

Pls just park for corner.
I pity the children of people like you
So because we adopted all this
We should delete our culture?
Are you an adult in the first place?
Besides none of those things you listed were created by the British
Fools everywhere

2 Likes

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Obere4u: 7:36am On Aug 08, 2021
Perfectbeing:
I remember when I was in a viewing center watching an international match during the recent Euros. One of the team was singing their national anthem in their language. Then one patriotic Nigeria commented, "na like this normal countries they do things. They sing their anthem in their language. Nigeria own juss different.."
Normally I don't talk much in viewing centers but that day I asked the dude which one of the language should Nigeria use in singing their anthem. If we should use Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba? He said "why can't we sing the three of them?". Then I asked him whether any of the normal countries he was talking about sang three national anthems. He became mute. Then I also said, if we wanted to be "normal" we would have to sing the national anthem in all 300+ languages we have in Nigeria. The guy was silent the whole of the match.

Then we use pidgin

1 Like

Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by joyandfaith: 7:46am On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

You are entitled to your opinion as well. Hausa was the lingua franca of commerce back in the days even more so than yoruba.
only in the north.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Ulunne777(f): 8:12am On Aug 08, 2021
kingawothefirst:

Lingua franca in ur enclave not Nigeria.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by ivolt: 8:15am On Aug 08, 2021
The OP is funny.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by ivolt: 8:16am On Aug 08, 2021
Obere4u:

Then we use pidgin
Pidgin?
grin grin
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by ivolt: 8:18am On Aug 08, 2021
theTranscriber:
I pity the children of people like you
So because we adopted all this
We should delete our culture?
Are you an adult in the first place?
You only remember your culture when you want to hate other groups
or it help you oppress your opponents.
The myopic OP only mentioned 3 "native" languages for official. use when we have more than 250 of them.

Besides none of those things you listed were created by the British
So if something is not British, it is okay to accept it?
Why not start using Chinese as official language since it is not British.

Fools everywhere
Kindly look at the mirror.
Re: Should English Really Be Nigeria's Official Language? by Perfectbeing(m): 8:25am On Aug 08, 2021
Obere4u:

Then we use pidgin
In other word, we should borrow our colonial master's language.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos: How Do We Get This Driver Arrested For Subjecting This Lady..? / BREAKING: APC Moves To Halt Opening Of Anambra Airport / The Shocking Insincerity Of The Igbo Intellectuals Over Nnamdi Kanu And Ipob

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.