Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Mali Drops French As Official Language. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mali Drops French As Official Language. (3452 Views)

3 Nigerian Governors Using Made-in-nigeria Vehicles As Official Cars (pics) / Soludo Is The First Governor To Use Made In Nigeria Car As Official Vehicle / Reps Reject Innoson Suvs As Official Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mali Drops French As Official Language. by damoobaba: 8:28pm On Jul 26, 2023
With its new constitution, Mali has dropped French, which has been the West African country's official language since 1960.

Under the new constitution passed overwhelmingly with 96.91% of the vote in a June 18 referendum, French is no longer the official language.

French will be the working language from now on, and the 13 national languages spoken in the country will also receive official language status.

Around 70 local languages are spoken in the country and some of them, including Bambara, Bobo, Dogon and Minianka, were granted national language status under a 1982 decree.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/africa/mali-drops-french-as-its-official-language/2953490#

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by kokoBoii: 8:28pm On Jul 26, 2023
Good development

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by damoobaba: 8:32pm On Jul 26, 2023
Africa needs to wake up

13 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by BoldBrainz(m): 8:36pm On Jul 26, 2023
This Russian/Ukraine war has really opened the eyes and minds of countries to the fact that they can stand up for themselves and challenge the status quo (being the dominance of the French, English and Americans).

Irrespective of the eventual outcome, lessons have been learnt. Even in places as far away as Mali.

14 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by Dqueen2: 8:45pm On Jul 26, 2023
Wow
Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by izonborn098(m): 8:46pm On Jul 26, 2023
In time to come nigeria will also abandon religion especially the next generation

10 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by richiemcgold: 8:47pm On Jul 26, 2023
I don't see this happening in Nigeria because the country is too heterogeneous.
..except we create a new language that can easily cut across all parts and tribes.

truthhurtsnaira:

How big is England compared to Nigeria, or Netherlands or Portugal. Those are TRIBAL nations that are working… You people see the obvious thing to do but look around it and then complain….

Oga do you even know the meaning of 'heterogeneous'? Abi you are blind ni?

4 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by Racoon(m): 8:50pm On Jul 26, 2023
Mali has just freed itself from the shackles of her neo-colonialists but first class accountant illiterate is embracing a policy that is condemning his country to economic slavery.

8 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by truthhurtsnaira: 8:51pm On Jul 26, 2023
richiemcgold:
..except we create a new language that can easily cut across all parts and tribes.

How big is England compared to Nigeria, or Netherlands or Portugal. Those are TRIBAL nations that are working…

You people see the obvious thing to do but look around it and then complain….

3 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by Urheadmaster(m): 8:53pm On Jul 26, 2023
Language barrier is Nigeria biggest challenges
richiemcgold:

7 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by VinnyBaba: 8:55pm On Jul 26, 2023
Nigeria should follow Suit ASAP! sad

Strong Warri Pidgin should be made our Official language. 🤨🙂

Tinibu be like 'Nigerians, Area, I Greet Una o. If This Fuel Price Reach N2000 before December,
No Call my Name o.

Na Buhari and Emefiele nai Cast the Country'.😒😀😀

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by MAKAPOLY: 9:07pm On Jul 26, 2023
We should stop our realiance on their so called foreign reimbursement irrespective of our financial austerity and economic entanglement. Many at times, these Greek gifts of theirs is just a scheme to lure us into a Darvaza Gas Crater-like hole with no chances of survival just as it is in Turkmenistan.
Every World Cup ,doesn't matter if it is the youth tournament or at senior level, one can easily mistake the French national team lineup for the Les Etalons from Ouagadougou or the Harambee stars from the Mount Kenya side.
Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by thisisit: 9:15pm On Jul 26, 2023
Way to go

Oduduwa republic. Yoruba language
Arewa republic - Igbo language
Igbo Republic -- Hausa language
Niger Delta Republic - Pidgin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by VinnyBaba: 9:18pm On Jul 26, 2023
thisisit:
Way to go

Lolss,
Edit or Correct your comment. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by thisisit: 9:21pm On Jul 26, 2023
VinnyBaba:

Lolss,
Edit or Correct your comment. smiley

Thank you for your observation.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by truthhurtsnaira: 9:21pm On Jul 26, 2023
richiemcgold:

Oga do you even know the meaning of 'heterogeneous'? Abi you are blind ni?

Who be your Oga?

You said in your quote “Nigeria is too heterogeneous” I give you HOMOGENEOUS countries that are doing well…. And you are asking for meaning?

HOMOGENEOUS IS THE WAY TO GO AS FAR AS COUNTRY…

It is not about creating a language cutting across tribal lines. Which kine ODE thing is that?

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by FuckSilly: 9:23pm On Jul 26, 2023
It's fine.
Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by richiemcgold: 9:28pm On Jul 26, 2023
truthhurtsnaira:

Who be your Oga?

You said in your quote “Nigeria is too heterogeneous” I give you HOMOGENEOUS countries that are doing well…. And you are asking for meaning?

HOMOGENEOUS IS THE WAY TO GO AS FAR AS COUNTRY…

It is not about creating a language cutting across tribal lines. Which kine ODE thing is that?

Nonsense

No need to trade banters. Kindly give us a clue on how a heterogeneous country like Nigeria can be transformed to homogeneous. I will like to share from your knowledge pls.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by 9182736455O1999(m): 9:30pm On Jul 26, 2023
So one has to learn all the 30 new official languages? Because man no go know which one dey go use at the moment. No be stress be this?

2 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by FreeStuffsNG: 9:34pm On Jul 26, 2023
kokoBoii:
Good development
Please how is it good when the report is confusing you sir. The right headline should be that other languages that are indigenous languages in Mali have been elevated to official languages. Nothing in that report suggested or confirmed that French has been dropped. Please read the report again.
Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by CJStarz: 9:50pm On Jul 26, 2023
😂😂😂😂
VinnyBaba:

Tinibu be like 'Nigerians, Area, I Greet Una o. If This Fuel Price Reach N2000 before December,
No Call my Name o.

1 Like

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by CJStarz: 9:52pm On Jul 26, 2023
Bros,you dey on colos 😂😂
Which one be Arewa republic -Igbo language and Igbo republic -Hausa language?
thisisit:
Way to go

2 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by CJStarz: 9:53pm On Jul 26, 2023
Me too. Hope he responds
richiemcgold:

No need to trade banters. Kindly give us a clue on how a heterogeneous country like Nigeria can be transformed to homogeneous. I will like to share from your knowledge pls.
Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by truthhurtsnaira: 10:24pm On Jul 26, 2023
CJStarz:
Me too. Hope he responds

Why not ask your lover how he plans on creating a language from a country he claims as too HETEROGENOUS? Me too I wan know nah…

BLACKIE
Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by orohbirodeysmel: 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2023
grin grin
Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by Benwallt(m): 10:46pm On Jul 26, 2023
We should also drop English and embrace Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba as national language. These countries don ride us for too long.

2 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by Slynation(m): 11:05pm On Jul 26, 2023
Other countries are unleashing themselves from mental slavery but Nigeria can never, because we have useless people down North that are corrupting and colonizing our Western brothers and sisters...

1 Like

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by DodadaKoKigbe: 11:10pm On Jul 26, 2023
Good job Gambia. But as for Nigeria, it will take that British plantation a millions years to jettison their chains of slavery.

1 Like

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by SOSinNigeria: 11:11pm On Jul 26, 2023
damoobaba:
With its new constitution, Mali has dropped French, which has been the West African country's official language since 1960.

Under the new constitution passed overwhelmingly with 96.91% of the vote in a June 18 referendum, French is no longer the official language.

French will be the working language from now on, and the 13 national languages spoken in the country will also receive official language status.

Around 70 local languages are spoken in the country and some of them, including Bambara, Bobo, Dogon and Minianka, were granted national language status under a 1982 decree.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/africa/mali-drops-french-as-its-official-language/2953490#

So, the 13 indigenous languages will now be their official languages or what? This is misplaced priority. Cut off all ties with Paris including diplomatic and use of CFA if they must challenge France. This proclamation that French is no longer official language yet it remains working language, is rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by baralatie(m): 11:38pm On Jul 26, 2023
Don't understand
Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by sharpwriter(m): 1:10am On Jul 27, 2023
Urheadmaster:
Language barrier is Nigeria biggest challenges
Open your eyes and head and fix your problems from the roots. The biggest challenge of Nigeria is that Nigeria still exists. The country must be disintegrated to create the original nations inside it, then you can talk about language.
Presently, which language do you want to use here except your colonial masters language? Or is it hausa, Igbo or Yoruba that should be adopted as the official language?

3 Likes

Re: Mali Drops French As Official Language. by damoobaba: 1:20am On Jul 27, 2023
VinnyBaba:

No Call my Name o.

Just like Americans, theyve tried to mess up English Language. Biscuit is cookies, fuel is gas, football is soccer. Their own English is worse than pidgin.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

SEC Queries Okereke-Onyiuke Over N30.9bn Bank Loan; Dangote, Ibrahim React / What Is Happening To NL Politics Section? / 3 People That Can Stop Boko Haram-Oritsejafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.