Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" (26543 Views)

Ezza: Indigenous Igbos Of Benue State Celebrate Cultural Festival / Igbos Celebrate New Yam Festival In Ghana (Photos) / Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by nisai: 9:33am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

Tao11, you didnt use your brain ooni in 1903 was a merr baale awolowo elevated him to a king
grin grin grin She really has traumatised u beyond rehabilitation! Sorry. grin

2 Likes

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by showafrica(m): 9:34am On Aug 09, 2021
ohosi4real:
It's only in Edo state you find majority tribe like Yoruba, Igbo, Igala, Ebira, Ijaw, urhobo, Bini, Esan, Etsako, Okpameri, and so others tribe yet they live in peace together. They also bear in different tribe names without discrimination. Edo's are very wonderful people and bless by God. Nice state.

Yes Benin Kingdom is like united states. Na still Britain go reduce am to ordinary state in Nigeria. They should have there own country because the Oba leadership is a good one.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 9:35am On Aug 09, 2021
TAO11:
Crap from Omonoba’s (king’s child) butthole.

Also:
Your screenshot is an opinion of a certain Ryder from the year 1965.

Guess what has happened between 1965 and 2021 in the field of historical scholarship of African history.

The field of historical scholarship of African history has unanimously debunked that opinion from Ryder.

See for example:

A. Akinjogbin (1967), F. Willett (1973), R. C. C. Law (1973), R. Horton (1979), A. Obayemi (1980), R. Smith (1988), B. Adediran (1991), D. Bondarenko (2003), S. A. Akintoye (2010), A. Ogundiran (2020), et al.

A summary of this unanimous conclusion of scholars is aptly put in a 2016 publication as attached below in the 2nd screenshot below:

Cheers!
Cc: Nisiw365

First all lets leave the screenshot pending..

Lets find out if Oduduwa was even real

Tho i have showed you he was invented by Samuel johson before now lets go over it again

If Oduduwa was real then we can say your screenshot were correct

If its not you know the answer
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 9:38am On Aug 09, 2021
nisai:
grin grin grin She really has traumatised u beyond rehabilitation! Sorry. grin

Trolls

Are you aware in 1894

Oduduwa was a female goddess

And in the 1920 a became a man king in ife

Help her out instead of empty trolling ... Her head is resting on my sword save her

She has this optuon to bring an earlier document describing Oduduwa as a man king
Or.... We assume johson was the inventor of the man king Oduduwa at ife

The 1894 really never attached the female Oduduwa to ife.... Another issue

Samuk
Etinosa1234

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by OutOfContext: 9:40am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

First all lets leave the screenshot pending..

Lets find out if Oduduwa was even real

Tho i have showed you he was invented by Samuel johson before now lets go over it again

If Oduduwa was real then we can say your screenshot were correct

If its not you know the answer
You kept quoting her when she is not onlie grin But don't worry she will be back to disgrace again grin
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by OutOfContext: 9:42am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

Trolls

Are you aware in 1894

Helo out... Her head is resting on my sword save her
Hahaha cheesy

So Oduduwa is no more an Edo prince aka cookedup Izoduwa grin

Edo miscreant grin

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 9:45am On Aug 09, 2021
OutOfContext:

Hahaha cheesy

So Oduduwa is no more an Edo prince aka cookedup Izoduwa grin

Edo miscreant grin

Izoduwa was a lie cooked up to avenge the yoruba lie... That Oduduwa xame to benin to establish edo monarchy... So yea... Youre right
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 9:47am On Aug 09, 2021
OutOfContext:

You kept quoting her when she is not onlie grin But don't worry she will be back to disgrace again grin

I sent her away to read more to correct her lapses
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by OutOfContext: 9:53am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

I sent her away to read more to correct her lapses
Hehehe cheesy

I think you're confused grin after she lectured you with facts cheesy

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 9:54am On Aug 09, 2021
OutOfContext:

Hehehe cheesy

I think you're confused grin after she lectured you with facts cheesy

You're troll Oduduwa was a female in 1894

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by OutOfContext: 9:55am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

Izoduwa was a lie cooked up to avenge the yoruba lie... That Oduduwa xame to benin to establish edo monarchy... So yea... Youre right
Nope only the Izoduwa shit is fake grin

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by nisai: 9:55am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

Trolls

Are you aware in 1894

Helo out... Her head is resting on my sword save her
Why are you being so impatient? You know no one whips you better than Tao11. She's the best in flogging pigs without splashing the mud. A great lecturer I must say.

See, emotion or ego cannot save you from history. History is a past record of events. It must be recorded as it occurred devoid of emotion or ego or lies. So stop working out yourself over nothing. Don't confine yourself to only Bini self-serving accounts. Read other accounts too like Tao11 and fix the pieces together in other to form a factual conclusion.

All these ridiculous superiority debate with pseudo-history is not necessary.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by OutOfContext: 9:56am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

You're troll Oduduwa was a female
Your lies can only be bought by your fellow miscreants cheesy not me grin grin
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 10:00am On Aug 09, 2021
nisai:
Why are you being so impatient? You know no one whips you better than Tao11. She's the best in flogging pigs without splashing the mud. A great lecturer I must say.

See, emotion or ego cannot save you from history. History is a past record of events. It must be recorded has it occurred devoid of emotion or ego or lies. So stop working out yourself over nothing. Don't confine yourself to only Bini self-serving accounts. Read other accounts too like Tao11 and fix the pieces together in other to form a factual conclusion.

All these ridiculous superiority debate with pseudo-history is not necessary.

Are you saying the 1894 account of oduduwa is a benin account

Get my views first off all

My viewers are Oduduwa and Oromiyan were mythical idols samuel johson turned into human figures with his book in 1897

And the Benis attaching herself to yoruba history of oduduwa was a political move in the early 1900...

And was not historical and so the benin monarchy is edo

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 10:05am On Aug 09, 2021
OutOfContext:

Your lies can only be bought by your fellow miscreants cheesy not me grin grin

Wow, so me bringing fact that Oduduwa was a female is a lie... Nawa oo

Drop your ego before it choke you
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by ekhai(m): 10:05am On Aug 09, 2021
EmekaA125:

They're Igbos in actual sense but they have their own language since they were carved into Edo State against their wish and being far from their SouthEast brothers. I urge Ohanaeze Ndigbo and IPOB to reach out to all Igboid groups in Edo State particular timely. Igbos are great and large.
THERE'S NO WHERE IT'S MENTIONED IN OUR HISTORY THAT WE HAVE ANY AFFILIATION WITH IGBOS. PLEASE WE MIGRATED FROM BINI KINGDOM.

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by nisai: 10:07am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

Are you saying the 1894 account of oduduwa is a benin account

Get my views first off all

My viewers are Oduduwa and Oromiyan were mythical idols samuel johson turned into human figures with his book in 1897

And the Benis attaching herself to yoruba history of oduduwa was a political move in the early 1900...

And was not historical and so the benin monarchy is edo
See Tao11's reply below. grin

Regarding your latest innuendos in your reply here:

(1) Again, S. A. Crowther’s 7-page brief side-step (out of his grammar book of 202 pages in sum) actually deals with only two things, viz.

(A) The account of origin/creation in Ife.

(B) The account of some of the kings of Oyo.

The first of these two is an allegorical creation story which no historian claims is literal history.

Neither did I claim it’s literal history at any point. This is simply a story foundational to religious beliefs.

It is an allegory, and as such may feature names, etc. that keeps changing from source to source.

For example, the Ifa source (Odu Oturupon-Wonifa to be precise) gives the names of these heavenly beings as Oduduwa, Orunmila, et al.

And there are books on the Yoruba people’s religion, etc. (published before Johnson’s history) which shows the name Oduduwa as one of these heavenly deities. See A.B. Ellis (1894).

Away from religious story and back to history now: In the whole of his 7 (out of 202) pages brief remark on the accounts of the Yorubas, his only touch on history is the half on Oyo and some of its kings.

No where in his very brief remark on “history” (in the grammar book) did he mention anything that has to do with the second dynasty of kings in Ife.

As such, your iSsuE of the OmMisSiOn of Oduduwa’s name from Ife’s history/kings is actually a very classic example of an absurd counter discourse. grin

If I come to this world a second time, I will still choose you as my slave. wink

(1) First of all, the context of comment in relation to which you’re replying here is shown in the embedded comment shown above.

From that comment, it is clear that the specific point there was about a deified Oduduwa — a deity — not the historical personage who himself was the deified.

(2) The word “deified”, by the way, “refers to the idea of elevating a human to the status of a deity usually after such person has passed on.

In such cases, the human-gender doesn’t necessarily determine the deity-gender.

In other words, a historical man may be admitted into a pantheon as a male deity, or a female deity, or as both.

In Benin kingdom for example, despite the historical Oduduwa being recognized even there as a man, he is deified as both a man, and a woman.

(3) Your screenshot (which reference I provided) is on a deified Oduduwa, in the specific context of religion.

The title of the book makes it clear that it is not about the history of Ife, etc. It isn’t even a history book at all. Its title makes this clear.

Moreover, the chapter’s title also makes it specifically clear that it is about divinities not the actual humans themselves. The chapter’s title reads as “CHIEF GODS”.

As such, the reference I gave to a non-history book is in agreement to the point I was making. And the point I was making on that thread, quoting word-for-word, is that:

“And there are books on the Yoruba people’s religion, etc. (published before Johnson’s history) which shows the name Oduduwa as one of these heavenly deities. See A.B. Ellis (1894).”

(4) And why did the issue of deified beings come up in the first place?

It came up because Crowther didn’t write about Ife’s history — being that he is a linguist and as such is concerned with grammar books, etc. — but at times devotes a very minuscule pages to accounts of some stories/histories in the introductory remarks.

In one of the introductory remarks, he touched on the story of creation at Ife, which features heavenly beings — not historical beings — whose names differ to an extent from the names given to the heavenly beings in some other version.

It was in this context (i.e. the context of deities) that I cited Oturupon-Wonifa as well as A.B. Ellis (1894) for the names Oduduwa, et al.

(5) Johnson’s later work, on the other hand, is a work on history (a comprehensive one at that), and as such covers the history of the Yorubas from the beginning to the king-Oduduwa period and all the way to the 1800s.

(6) In sum, the issue of omission does not come up in the case of Crowther because his grammar work (with some accounts) is not intended to (and did not) cover all the way up to the king-Oduduwa period.

Similarly, A. B. Ellis’ work (which focuses on religion, etc.) is obviously not a history book, and as such is not supposed (and did not) cover anything about king Oduduwa.

The specific mention of Odua in this work was clearly shown under the chapter entitled “CHIEF GODS”. In other words a deified Odua whose gender doesn’t necessarily follow that of the actual human who was deified.

In recognition of this unique gender-phenomenon in the deification of Yoruba personages, R. F. Burton in his 1863 publication writes in the * footnote of page 186 as follows:

“The fact that this deity is male, female, and hermaphrodite, is a fair specimen of pagan vagueness.”

Moreover, I have also alluded already to the kingdom of Benin where king-Oduduwa is of course known to have been a man, but is in the same breath deified as both a male deity, and a female deity.

God created you so I can have someone to mock. You remain my rag forever and ever. Amen. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 10:19am On Aug 09, 2021
nisai:
See Tao11's reply below. grin

Regarding your latest innuendos in your reply here:

(1) Again, S. A. Crowther’s 7-page brief side-step (out of his grammar book of 202 pages in sum) actually deals with only two things, viz.

(A) The account of origin/creation in Ife.

(B) The account of some of the kings of Oyo.

The first of these two is an allegorical creation story which no historian claims is literal history.

Neither did I claim it’s literal history at any point. This is simply a story foundational to religious beliefs.

It is an allegory, and as such may feature names, etc. that keeps changing from source to source.

For example, the Ifa source (Odu Oturupon-Wonifa to be precise) gives the names of these heavenly beings as Oduduwa, Orunmila, et al.

And there are books on the Yoruba people’s religion, etc. (published before Johnson’s history) which shows the name Oduduwa as one of these heavenly deities. See A.B. Ellis (1894).

Away from religious story and back to history now: In the whole of his 7 (out of 202) pages brief remark on the accounts of the Yorubas, his only touch on history is the half on Oyo and some of its kings.

No where in his very brief remark on “history” (in the grammar book) did he mention anything that has to do with the second dynasty of kings in Ife.

As such, your iSsuE of the OmMisSiOn of Oduduwa’s name from Ife’s history/kings is actually a very classic example of an absurd counter discourse. grin

If I come to this world a second time, I will still choose you as my slave. wink

(1) First of all, the context of comment in relation to which you’re replying here is shown in the embedded comment shown above.

From that comment, it is clear that the specific point there was about a deified Oduduwa — a deity — not the historical personage who himself was the deified.

(2) The word “deified”, by the way, “refers to the idea of elevating a human to the status of a deity usually after such person has passed on.

In such cases, the human-gender doesn’t necessarily determine the deity-gender.

In other words, a historical man may be admitted into a pantheon as a male deity, or a female deity, or as both.

In Benin kingdom for example, despite the historical Oduduwa being recognized even there as a man, he is deified as both a man, and a woman.

(3) Your screenshot (which reference I provided) is on a deified Oduduwa, in the specific context of religion.

The title of the book makes it clear that it is not about the history of Ife, etc. It isn’t even a history book at all. Its title makes this clear.

Moreover, the chapter’s title also makes it specifically clear that it is about divinities not the actual humans themselves. The chapter’s title reads as “CHIEF GODS”.

As such, the reference I gave to a non-history book is in agreement to the point I was making. And the point I was making on that thread, quoting word-for-word, is that:

“And there are books on the Yoruba people’s religion, etc. (published before Johnson’s history) which shows the name Oduduwa as one of these heavenly deities. See A.B. Ellis (1894).”

(4) And why did the issue of deified beings come up in the first place?

It came up because Crowther didn’t write about Ife’s history — being that he is a linguist and as such is concerned with grammar books, etc. — but at times devotes a very minuscule pages to accounts of some stories/histories in the introductory remarks.

In one of the introductory remarks, he touched on the story of creation at Ife, which features heavenly beings — not historical beings — whose names differ to an extent from the names given to the heavenly beings in some other version.

It was in this context (i.e. the context of deities) that I cited Oturupon-Wonifa as well as A.B. Ellis (1894) for the names Oduduwa, et al.

(5) Johnson’s later work, on the other hand, is a work on history (a comprehensive one at that), and as such covers the history of the Yorubas from the beginning to the king-Oduduwa period and all the way to the 1800s.

(6) In sum, the issue of omission does not come up in the case of Crowther because his grammar work (with some accounts) is not intended to (and did not) cover all the way up to the king-Oduduwa period.

Similarly, A. B. Ellis’ work (which focuses on religion, etc.) is obviously not a history book, and as such is not supposed (and did not) cover anything about king Oduduwa.

The specific mention of Odua in this work was clearly shown under the chapter entitled “CHIEF GODS”. In other words a deified Odua whose gender doesn’t necessarily follow that of the actual human who was deified.

In recognition of this unique gender-phenomenon in the deification of Yoruba personages, R. F. Burton in his 1863 publication writes in the * footnote of page 186 as follows:

“The fact that this deity is male, female, and hermaphrodite, is a fair specimen of pagan vagueness.”

Moreover, I have also alluded already to the kingdom of Benin where king-Oduduwa is of course known to have been a man, but is in the same breath deified as both a male deity, and a female deity.

God created you so I can have someone to mock. You remain my rag forever and ever. Amen. cheesy

Tao11, if he was deify Definately the 1894 account should have stated it, when the history was been given out by the local... Abi
. They would first start on Oduduwa life on earth before they will start the imaginary one im heaven

You mean Oduduwa was represented as man and woman in benin history was that after 1897 if it was, its invalid

But anyway you can bring it let me see for my own curiosity

I still want to see where Oduduwa was refferd to a man prior to samuel johson book of 1897
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Fejoku: 10:32am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:

Fejoku

You should understand Nigeria history properly before you csn grasp things out

The fulani migration into hausa state began in 1800 by 1820 their jihadist began they overthrew... The hausas kings and established their emirate.... And their jihad continued

Incorrect chronology hence wrong history. Go and read up.

Benin in the mid 1800 was facing internal Civil war, which made the oba of benin loose is life, after the oba death another succession crises began between who would be king... Sucession tussle... By this time benin had already pulled out from trading with the europeans and was facing issues within herself a plague struck benin during this period guess the Spanish flu benins were dieing from unknown diseases.. That was brought by the europeans who always entered benin city to see the oba... So the empire was weak...

You just confirmed my claim that Benin was weak and could hardly protect her own border at the time.

This doesnt not mean it wouldn't bounce back... Because it wasn't the first time benin was burnt completely to the ground and was rebuilt and vassal state were recaptured

This is at best speculative. Kingdoms fall sometimes to never rise again to their former glory e.g. Egypt, Persia, Babylon, Songhai, Ghana etc. There were many guns in circulation in the late 19th century and too much pressure was on Benin from all sides. You even conceded that Benin abandoned Auchi. Warri was no longer cooperating and Agbor already freed themselves. Akure, Ondo and neighbouring areas got weapons enough to fend off Benin. This is the truth. In Igbo history, there's mention of 'Agha Oba na Idu'. This translates to the war of Oba and Idu(Edo). This led to the exodus of EzeChima and other Igbo groups from Benin. That I believe was the beginning of the downfall of Benin. By the mid 1800s, Igbo kings on the banks of River Niger (Aboh and Onitsha) never mentioned anything about one Oba of Benin. He had no influence anywhere near them. I hope you know about the Ekumeku war our Aniomas fought with the British at the same period. This is what Benin could have faced by that time. The glory of Benin had departed at the time never to rise again.

But there is a story of ekpende shrine in benin he was a powerful diviner, who was sent by the oba of benin to warn the jihadist against trespassing edo territories... He was believe he disappear from benin to auchi environs and when the jihadist saw is mythical powers they redrew back....

You're kidding me! shocked shocked You mean a whole kingdom had to send a telepathic wizard who doesn't understand the language of the enemy to go and threaten them not to invade and the invaders ran away? I hope you don't expect me to believe this fairy tale. Where was the Benin army to protect your boundary at the time?

But kogi their nearest neigbour was already conquered making it easy for social and peaceful pentration of islam from neighbouring islamic areas like 6kogi to influence their edo neighbours auchi

Kogi wasn't conquered like you want us to believe. The same thing the fulanis are doing today is the same thing the Nupe/fulani combination was doing to Kogi at the time. This got the Igala weakened but there was no defeat like was obtained at Ilorin. This is why there are no emirs there.

As for the yoruba raids like ibadan the news came to benin late but when the oba heard of it he sent an esan army to dispatch the Ibadan slave raiders out of edo north... And they fled

I'll need to read more about this. I can't respond to it now.

This were all attended to when benin was in severe crises within herself...
But non of this invaders could even come to esan areas because they were stopped at their first attempt and they withdrew the benin and esan were untouched by any invaders

You just didn't realize that Benin was on steady decline by this time and her chances of recovery was gone. From once controlling Eko in Lagos to losing Auchi and even tiny Warri. Benin city was devastated from inside that led to a lot of displacement. Benin was not going to recover from it at the time. Other people had guns too by the mid 1800s. You know the Benin/Igala war and how it went until the Portuguese guns arrived. The glory days of Benin was over. In fact she would have struggled to defend herself against other tribes in 20th century if the British hadn't come.

So don't mind the yoruba coward TAO11
TAO11 is an adept Yoruba historian but I don't agree with her that it was Ibadan that led to the fall of Benin. It is not true. I only agree that if the British didn't come for colonization, Ibadan could have threatened Benin badly if the Yorubas managed to stop their own civil wars.

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by TAO11(f): 10:32am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Tao11, if he was deify Definately the 1894 account should have stated it, when the history was been given out by the local... Abi
. They would first start on Oduduwa life on earth before they will start the imaginary one im heaven

You mean Oduduwa was represented as man and woman in benin history was that after 1897 if it was, its invalid

But anyway you can bring it let me see for my own curiosity

I still want to see where Oduduwa was refferd to a man prior to samuel johson book of 1897[/s]
(1) The chapter lists and simply explains the attributes of those deities.

The chapter is not about the history of those deities. The book is not about history at all.

So, expecting it to cover the history of those deities (i.e. the beginning of the deification) is a confirmation of the fact there is an embargo on the use of brain from your omonoba’s palace.

Again it is not a history book. Make use of your brain despite your omonobas ban against the use of brain.

(2) If you find a Yoruba history book (an extensive one at that) about Ife, etc. (prior to Johnson’s); and such book does not talk about king Oduduwa in its account of Ife’s kingship, then we can have this discussion.

But for now, all I can say is that you should go against your oba’s embargo which forbids using the brain.

It is always my pleasure to have you as my slave.

Peace! cheesy
Cc: nisai

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by TAO11(f): 10:37am On Aug 09, 2021
Fejoku:
•••

TAO11 is an adept Yoruba historian but I don't agree with her that it was Ibadan that led to the fall of Benin. It is not true. I only agree that if the British didn't come for colonization, Ibadan could have threatened Benin badly if the Yorubas managed to stop their own civil wars.
Nigeria is in trouble. Our youths can’t read and comprehend.

(1) Where in this screenshot is the author’s name TAO11?

(2) And where in this screenshot does it say Ibadan was the reason why Benin became weak.

Your comment is a strong argument for secession.

Nigeria is gone. Her youth can read & comprehend.

There was a country!

Smh! embarassed

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Fejoku: 10:45am On Aug 09, 2021
TAO11:
Nigeria is in trouble. Our youths can’t read and comprehend.

(1) Where in this screenshot is the author’s name TAO11?

(2) And where in this screenshot does it say Ibadan was the reason why Benin became weak.

Your comment is a strong argument for secession.

Nigeria is gone. Her youth can read & comprehend.

There was a country!

Smh! embarassed
My point was hinged on the assumed position you would have that Yoruba states put pressure on Benin going by what you underlined. Whatever pressure Ibadan exerted wasn't what led to Benin's decline.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by TAO11(f): 10:52am On Aug 09, 2021
Fejoku:

My point was hinged on the assumed position you would have that Yoruba states put pressure on Benin going by what you underlined. Whatever pressure Ibadan exerted wasn't what led to Benin's decline.
Please answer each of these question one after the other in your reply.

(1) Did the text mention that Benin suffered pressure from Ibadan, et al.? Yes or No?

(2) Did the text mention that Ibadan (or its pressur on Benin) was what led to Benin’s decline or fall? Yes or No?

(3) Did I (TAO11) mention that Ibadan (or its pressur on Benin) was what led to Benin’s decline or fall? Yes or No?
——————-
If you have regard for honesty, your answers will be: “Yes”, “No”, and “No” respectively.

As such, how does your earlier comment that you don’t agree with me (TAO11) that it was Ibadan that led to the fall of Benin makes sense to you yourself?

———————
What’s going with our youth?

Cheers!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 11:04am On Aug 09, 2021
TAO11:

(1) The chapter lists and simply explains the attributes of those deities.

The chapter is not about the history of those deities. The book is not about history at all.

So, expecting it to cover the history of those deities (i.e. the beginning of the deification) is a confirmation of the fact there is an embargo on the use of brain from your omonoba’s palace.

Again it is not a history book. Make use of your brain despite your omonobas ban against the use of brain.

(2) If you find a Yoruba history book (an extensive one at that) about Ife, etc. (prior to Johnson’s); and such book does not talk about king Oduduwa in its account of Ife’s kingship, then we can have this discussion.

But for now, all I can say is that you should go against your oba’s embargo which forbids using the brain.

It is always my pleasure to have you as my slave.

Peace! cheesy
Cc: nisai

Is that all Tao11, it's not an history book is this now your new excuse, you used it for ajayi crowther i pitied you now, you're using it again

Lol

Bloodu Modafucket

gomojam
DonCandido
Amujale
macof
Sewgon79
lx3as
nisai
2fine2fast
Aphrygian
Olu317
Obalufon
geosegun
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by TAO11(f): 11:31am On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Is that all Tao11, it's not an history book is this now your new excuse, you used it for ajayi crowther i pitied you now, you're using it again Lol[/s]
No single soul can convince me that the Oba of Benin has not truly ban the use of brain among his subject.

At least hide and use your brain when no one is watching.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 11:36am On Aug 09, 2021
Fejoku:

The fulani migration into hausa state began in 1800 by 1820 their jihadist began they overthrew... The hausas kings and established their emirate.... And their jihad continued

Incorrect chronology hence wrong history. Go and read up.

Benin in the mid 1800 was facing internal Civil war, which made the oba of benin loose is life, after the oba death another succession crises began between who would be king... Sucession tussle... By this time benin had already pulled out from trading with the europeans and was facing issues within herself a plague struck benin during this period guess the Spanish flu benins were dieing from unknown diseases.. That was brought by the europeans who always entered benin city to see the oba... So the empire was weak...

You just confirmed my claim that Benin was weak and could hardly protect her own border at the time.

This doesnt not mean it wouldn't bounce back... Because it wasn't the first time benin was burnt completely to the ground and was rebuilt and vassal state were recaptured

This is at best speculative. Kingdoms fall sometimes to never rise again to their former glory e.g. Egypt, Persia, Babylon, Songhai, Ghana etc. There were many guns in circulation in the late 19th century and too much pressure was on Benin from all sides. You even conceded that Benin abandoned Auchi. Warri was no longer cooperating and Agbor already freed themselves. Akure, Ondo and neighbouring areas got weapons enough to fend off Benin. This is the truth. In Igbo history, there's mention of 'Agha Oba na Idu'. This translates to the war of Oba and Idu(Edo). This led to the exodus of EzeChima and other Igbo groups from Benin. That I believe was the beginning of the downfall of Benin. By the mid 1800s, Igbo kings on the banks of River Niger (Aboh and Onitsha) never mentioned anything about one Oba of Benin. He had no influence anywhere near them. I hope you know about the Ekumeku war our Aniomas fought with the British at the same period. This is what Benin could have faced by that time. The glory of Benin had departed at the time never to rise again.

But there is a story of ekpende shrine in benin he was a powerful diviner, who was sent by the oba of benin to warn the jihadist against trespassing edo territories... He was believe he disappear from benin to auchi environs and when the jihadist saw is mythical powers they redrew back....

You're kidding me! shocked shocked You mean a whole kingdom had to send a telepathic wizard who doesn't understand the language of the enemy to go and threaten them not to invade and the invaders ran away? I hope you don't expect me to believe this fairy tale. Where was the Benin army to protect your boundary at the time?

But kogi their nearest neigbour was already conquered making it easy for social and peaceful pentration of islam from neighbouring islamic areas like 6kogi to influence their edo neighbours auchi

Kogi wasn't conquered like you want us to believe. The same thing the fulanis are doing today is the same thing the Nupe/fulani combination was doing to Kogi at the time. This got the Igala weakened but there was no defeat like was obtained at Ilorin. This is why there are no emirs there.

As for the yoruba raids like ibadan the news came to benin late but when the oba heard of it he sent an esan army to dispatch the Ibadan slave raiders out of edo north... And they fled

I'll need to read more about this. I can't respond to it now.

This were all attended to when benin was in severe crises within herself...
But non of this invaders could even come to esan areas because they were stopped at their first attempt and they withdrew the benin and esan were untouched by any invaders

You just didn't realize that Benin was on steady decline by this time and her chances of recovery was gone. From once controlling Eko in Lagos to losing Auchi and even tiny Warri. Benin city was devastated from inside that led to a lot of displacement. Benin was not going to recover from it at the time. Other people had guns too by the mid 1800s. You know the Benin/Igala war and how it went until the Portuguese guns arrived. The glory days of Benin was over. In fact she would have struggled to defend herself against other tribes in 20th century if the British hadn't come.

Are you aware benin participated in the yoruba civil war that spanned from 1820s to 1880s benin was the supplier of artillery they used un the wars

You haven't read ebough... Bro

Go and read the eye witnesses account of a yoruba man who saw the war happen abd wrote about it samuel johnson 1897 the history of yorubas

Benin had much weapon at her disposal... Bro
You just Haven't read, the britsh feared the weapons benin had would outmatch the ones they had, they had to write to england send in submarine, gun machines in 1897 when the benins abushed and killed the britsh men...

Thats for that...

The you countered the point i gave on the fulani expansionist year.... On the hausa people i dare you to prove me wrong on that...

Benins always recovers from her internal coflict there was many civil wars numerous that benin faced that even the European noted from 1400 to 1800 succession crises was always one of them...

The europeans wrote in 1600...benin was burnt to the ground and was more like a village and yet benin overcame and rebuilt itself

Lastly.... Go and read the benin wars on eastern yorubas of 1800, this was the year ypu are asumming benin was declining...

Benin was sanctioning her vassal state despite
Facing internal crises at home benin was so large enough that when the britsh invaded half of benin army wasnt even in benin

A Kure was sacked in 1897 by benin for refusal to pay tribute....

Just go and read bro you cant ve too knowledgeable on other people's history...

Lastly the Portuguese guns didnt help the benins win the war against idah... Tho their effort made imapct anyway...

But queen idah.. The benin queen mother was what made the benins win the war.... Of the benin idah war of 1600 ad
Thats why she is the face of festac mask....
The benins were somhow weak to the idah invasion because there were betrayal inside bini who told the igalas how to outrun benin walls and moat....

All this fact are backed up with European writings if you need them i will supplier you

Dont mind my errors no time to edit them
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 11:47am On Aug 09, 2021
TAO11:
No single woul can convince me that the Oba of Benin has not truly ban the use of brain among his subject.

At least hide and use your brain when no one is watching.

Lol... Your tears wont help you

The ijebu debate you never replied me

I said the ijebus were inconsequential city

Bye....... Trans
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Revolva(m): 2:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
EmekaA125:

Asaba is 100% Igbo territory both linguistically and culturally.

you see where you are wrong.....Asaba is not 100 percent igbo.....in ancestry bro ..the way it is seen today its now how it was before..ok let me just forget all these...

you don't know the true history of asaba and onitsha ...truth to say....
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by EmekaA125(m): 3:42pm On Aug 09, 2021
SlayerForever:

Second wetin. Igbo are the most populous ethnic group in Nigeria.
Hausa—30%
Igbo—15.8%
Yoruba—14.9%
Others—39.3%

Igbo is the second largest and populous ethnic group in Nigeria.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by SlayerForever: 4:51pm On Aug 09, 2021
EmekaA125:

Hausa—30%
Igbo—15.8%
Yoruba—14.9%
Others—39.3%

Igbo is the second largest and populous ethnic group in Nigeria.

You don't know what you're saying.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by TAO11(f): 6:29pm On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Lol... Your tears wont help you

The ijebu debate you never replied me

I said the ijebus were inconsequential city

Bye....... Trans[/s]
(1) Is this supposed to be your best trick to escape slavery? Huh? grin

There is no escape for you my slave. You are my favorite slave. I will chose you before any other slave.

(2) The Ijebu debate? Is it the one where I buried you inside your own thread? cheesy

LMAO! grin

2 Likes

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by TAO11(f): 6:40pm On Aug 09, 2021
gregyboy:
Are you aware benin participated in the yoruba civil war that spanned from 1820s to 1880s benin was the supplier of artillery they used un the wars

You haven't read ebough... Bro

Go and read the eye witnesses account of a yoruba man who saw the war happen abd wrote about it samuel johnson 1897 the history of yorubas

Benin had much weapon at her disposal... Bro
You just Haven't read, the britsh feared the weapons benin had would outmatch the ones they had, they had to write to england send in submarine, gun machines in 1897 when the benins abushed and killed the britsh men..•••

@Fejoku, in case what my slave is trying to make you believe is that Benin manufactured guns, I trust you have at least two brain-cells to know even from a distance that that’s a bull-crap he pulled out from his anus.

The Europeans traded along the Atlantic coast, and some of the many items they traded in are guns.

Ijebu is one of the indigenous polities near the coast. They traded with the Europeans in these items.

Another indigenous polity near the coast is the Benin. They also traded with the Europeans in these items.

————————————
In relation to this fact, the Rev Samuel Johnson notes as follows:

Thus the Ibadans received no help whatever from their compatriots at Lagos. However, with the deposition and expulsion of the Awujale from his capital, the strain between Ibadan and the Ijebus became relaxed. Through Chief Kuku of Ijebu Ode, who had resided at Ibadan for many years, as well as through the Balogun of Ijebu, and from private traders through the Ijebu country, the Ibadans were now able to obtain at very high prices some rifles and ammunition, just sufficient to render their position more secure at Kiriji. The guns were sold to them at the rate of £10 to £15 a piece, and the cartridges at 6d. each—prices which (considering the scarcity of money and the general impoverishment induced by this prolonged war) only men in desperate condition would care to pay. Sanusi, the Are's eldest son, was the first to purchase a few, then Lady Omosa, the daughter of the late Basorun Ogunmola, procured a few for her nephew Kongi, who was now the head of the house. After this the possession of a rifle became a general thing, every war chief trying to get a few for himself. For this purpose many had to sell their slaves and slave wives, a matter of pain and grief to them, as altogether contrary to their custom, but the body politic must be preserved at all costs.

~ The Rev. S. Johnson, “The History of the Yorubas,” Completed 1897, Published 1921, p. 492.
—————————————

Quoting a key line again from that book (which you called an eyewitness account of the war), it says:

After this the possession of a rifle became a general thing.

@Fejoku, you’ve just been freed from a major lie told to you by my slave. Or did you already know he was lying as usual? cheesy

How to know when my slave (gregyboy) is lying:—

Answer: Whenever he types. cheesy

Cc: nisai, r4bbit

5 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Oba Sejiro Olalekan Engages Jaiyeola Omolabake, Daughter Of Ebeneze Obey (Photos / Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.