Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,495 members, 7,958,503 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:58 PM

Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" (28035 Views)

Ezza: Indigenous Igbos Of Benue State Celebrate Cultural Festival / Igbos Celebrate New Yam Festival In Ghana (Photos) / Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Olutishe490(m): 3:33pm On Aug 08, 2021
gregyboy:

Nah ooni of ife pay homage to the oba of benin

The ooni of ife stool was created by awolowo it is not ancient

The oba of benin never attends the ooni of ife coronation but the ooni of ife must always attend oba of benin coronation ceremony or he will remain illegitimate and unflavored by the gods
What sort of weed do you smoke?....How father pay hommage to the son?... Oranmiyan founded Benin monarchy, it was ogiso the rulling dynasty when Oranmiyan got there and change it to Obaship!!!!....You and your stupid historian are doing a bad job, Ife has been in existence way before Benin kingdom or Igodomigodo, there were 79 kings ruled in Ife before Oduduwa cutting across different dynasties (Ife Oodaye, Ife Ooyelagbo) after that Oduduwa dynasty which 5 Oonis was crowned before the founder of your Obaship (Oranmiyan) returns and became the 6th Ooni!!! You mumus need good history lesson!!! Sultan of sokoto, Emir of Kano, Ooni of Ife and other monarchs graced his coronation and that doesn't mean he pays hommage at the coronation you fool.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by lascopes(m): 3:33pm On Aug 08, 2021
Ofunaofu:

You just have to know that EDO STATE is just a mere political state creation

That they are found today in present day Edo State should not erase the fact they might have a cultural and historical connection to the Igbos

Gbunua!!!!! Ugbe'bho wa'gbon
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by mutvy: 3:55pm On Aug 08, 2021
Igbo people will never cease to show how tribalistic they are. I wish Igbo people were those slaughtered in Rwanda. They love tribalising everything.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Poanan: 4:01pm On Aug 08, 2021
koondog:
When Nnamdi Kanu says we are taking some Edo people with us to Biafra, these are some of the people. These are pure Igbo blood.

Are u sure? Ir u originated from Edo
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Willie007: 4:18pm On Aug 08, 2021
udele1:
So because of yam, they are now part of Biafra? grin grin cheesy

Na the same yam carry ekweremmadu go Germany come chop beating instead grin grin grin
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Fejoku: 4:28pm On Aug 08, 2021
gregyboy:

The igue festival entails so many benin cultural activites that was distinct in ancient time and now being merged together as one in current traditions as igue festival

Emo rho is the ancient celebration of yam festival see how it is similar with the nane you called
Understood. The igue festival =/= New Yam festival.
Emo rho is your new yam festival. That you people collapsed it into celebrating Igue shows that it wasn't a big festival to your people compared to how it is among us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 08, 2021
Gambit23:

IGBOs had AKWAETTE clothing back in d days.

Even many of our masquerade wears clothes

Akwette that you got through trade by barta
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Fejoku: 4:34pm On Aug 08, 2021
SlayerForever:

That dressing is undeniably Igbo. However they may not be Igbo.
The red cap is the same as ours but that cloth is a general cloth among majority of central southern Nigeria. Those people are not Igbo.
Just go to google earth with that name and see where they are located. We don't share any border with them and their location in northern Edo is replete with many different languages. I've been listening to their highlife music and I must say that they make good music. Very similar to ours. If they are in anyway related to us I would have indicated it here.

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Fejoku: 4:39pm On Aug 08, 2021
Gambit23:

There are indigenous IGBOs in that geographical location called Edo state.

U cant change it.
The indigenous Igbos share a boundary with Delta state. These people we're discussing are close to Auchi and very far from Delta/Edo boundary. I know my story.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Fejoku: 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2021
karkel:
This is why the eroded history in our schools so people like you will not know their root
Read bro, read.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by richiepolymer(m): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2021
Newton85:
Please, which one is Isidahomey kingdom again? So, in your bid to debunk the spurious claim of some Igbos here that the Ogbona people are Igbo, you had to cook up your own batshit-crazy ahistorical codswallop out of your own delusional ass? I only know of the Dahomey Kingdom of the Fon people in the Republic of Benin. Please, which one is Isidahomey Kingdom?

Extend your research. cheesy
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Boudiccao: 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2021
They must be related to Igbos. Their names, culture and tradition point to the East.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by SirToby(m): 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2021
Gambit23:

Ur friend could still be a muslim from Edo state
Better go and sit down!
You know nothing about Etsako people
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Maliqcious: 5:02pm On Aug 08, 2021
BKayy:

The only people with indigenous clothing in Nigeria is Igbo. Google "Akwaete"
Yorubas were clothed by the Fulani
Calm down you Igbo have no Indigenous attire. Benin is the only age long and highly recognized attire known to the Portuguese while 70-85% are almost stark naked

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Boudiccao: 5:07pm On Aug 08, 2021
Maliqcious:
Calm down you Igbo have no Indigenous attire. Benin is the only age long and highly recognized attire known to the Portuguese while 70-85% are almost stark naked

Where did Benin get their cloth?
Igbos had Akwaete,well recognized by history.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Maliqcious: 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2021
Fejoku:

The red cap is the same as ours but that cloth is a general cloth among majority of central southern Nigeria. Those people are not Igbo.
Just go to google earth with that name and see where they are located. We don't share any border with them and their location in northern Edo is replete with many different languages. I've been listening to their highlife music and I must say that they make good music. Very similar to ours. If they are in anyway related to us I would have indicated it here.
The cradle of civilization(Benin) Well, I like the way Edolite thinks no argument. How can I tell most tribe that it was the downfall of Benin empire that made colonialism possible. Most Southern Nigeria cultural, deity, costume and attire breeds from Benin empire.

1 Like

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 5:17pm On Aug 08, 2021
Fejoku:

Understood. The igue festival =/= New Yam festival.
Emo rho is your new yam festival. That you people collapsed it into celebrating Igue shows that it wasn't a big festival to your people compared to how it is among us.

Ooh yea the oba is more important, the benin religion is quite different from the other tribe
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 5:23pm On Aug 08, 2021
Olutishe490:
What sort of weed do you smoke?....How father pay hommage to the son?... Oranmiyan founded Benin monarchy, it was ogiso the rulling dynasty when Oranmiyan got there and change it to Obaship!!!!....You and your stupid historian are doing a bad job, Ife has been in existence way before Benin kingdom or Igodomigodo, there were 79 kings ruled in Ife before Oduduwa cutting across different dynasties (Ife Oodaye, Ife Ooyelagbo) after that Oduduwa dynasty which 5 Oonis was crowned before the founder of your Obaship (Oranmiyan) returns and became the 6th Ooni!!! You mumus need good history lesson!!! Sultan of sokoto, Emir of Kano, Ooni of Ife and other monarchs graced his coronation and that doesn't mean he pays hommage at the coronation you fool.

Stop taking weed and reading from Wikipedia

Oromiyan and Oduduwa journey ti benin was a political stint pulled by benins to the yorubas after amalgamation to get political favour from the yorubas

In doing so the yoruba welcomed benins as one of their sons and the myth of oduduwa and Oromiyan coming to benin was born... To make it look real

But we know the truth bro...

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 5:28pm On Aug 08, 2021
Newton85:
Yeah, that must be why your Oba is called "abieyuwa n'ovbi odua n'uhe" (son of the wealthy Odua of Ice). That must also be why your Oba is called "Ovbi Adimula" (Son of Adimula). Adimula is Oduduwa's other name. And that must also be why your Oba is called "Ikeji orisha" (second in command to the gods), which is a title for Yoruba Obas. Not that I should have dignified you with a response though. I should have left you with your fellow clown who says Bini people are Yoruba. The two of you deserve each other. Peace.

This are just recent praise names made up by yoruba bloggers to get attention can you bring a video where praises were showered on the obas and those names you listed up there were used to praise him....

Nigga please stop buying to deceitful attentions

Read this screenshot

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Fejoku: 5:31pm On Aug 08, 2021
Maliqcious:
The cradle of civilization(Benin) Well, I like the way Edolite thinks no argument. How can I tell most tribe that it was the downfall of Benin empire that made colonialism possible. Most Southern Nigeria cultural, deity, costume and attire breeds from Benin empire.

The bolded is false. Benin military might was never strong enough 70km radius from Benin city. Where was Benin when jihadist took over Auchi? Benin was already down by the time the British decided to colonize Nigeria.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 5:38pm On Aug 08, 2021
Nisiw365:

Edo's are subgroup of Yoruba

Yorubas are sub group of edo and igbo mix

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Senudi96(m): 5:39pm On Aug 08, 2021
Etsako Central people are not Igbos. Their language and culture is mostly Edoid but one can't rule out small similarities with Igbos because our fathers did travel far and wide those days rendering services all over the SS and SE. Most Estako people are called Afenmai and certain clans their have noted some connections they have with Igbos notably the metalsmiths in one small community their who claim relationship with the famous Awka Blacksmiths. Awka Blacksmiths were known to have travelled to Idah, deep into Edo state and as far as Urhoboland as itinerant artisans. There are historical records by researchers. Masquerade masks from Igboland have been seen among the Estakos which possibly was borrowed from their. This New Yam festival may also be borrowed since most Edoid are not known for having such festivals.
By and large, these people are not Igbos both linguistically and culturally. They are clearly Edoid but certain features among them are also found among the Igbos.
Edo North is a very complex area of different languages. It's very clear that the power of the Benin Kingdom was what held away and greatly influenced.

These people share boundary with Delta North, close to the Agbor and I think that's Edo Central or Edo South.
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Nisiw365: 5:41pm On Aug 08, 2021
gregyboy:

Yorubas are sub group of edo and igbo mix
Edo's are subgroup of Yoruba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Senudi96(m): 5:43pm On Aug 08, 2021
SlyDev:
Anything for the black Jews lash on their parasitic finger on. They may look like igbo but there are not igbo. Igala are not Yoruba despite closer similarities

Look at their bead, their cloth like Bini, shey igbo get indiegenous cloth? The problem started when igbo were borrowing culture left and right and will call it their own.

Look at their language, names and cultural practices. Edoid cultures don't have New Yam festival.

Perhap many years living close to their Edoid neighbors have made them borrow some aspects of their culture and traditions but they're more Igbo than Edo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 5:48pm On Aug 08, 2021
SlayerForever:

That dressing is undeniably Igbo. However they may not be Igbo.

True, even me an edo msn almost felt they are igbos bcus of their dressing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 6:02pm On Aug 08, 2021
Fejoku:
[/b]
The bolded is false. Benin military might was never strong enough 70km radius from Benin city. Where was Benin when jihadist took over Auchi? Benin was already down by the time the British decided to colonize Nigeria.

Benin wasn't down benin had series of internal struggles that constantly affect her over time that they always recover from...

Benin warned the jihadist, through a strong powerful native doctor.. Not to attempt invade
The edo areas of auchi....
The jihadist hid, but over time since they stopped at kogi, they jihadist gradually use peaceful assimilation to convert the auchi areas.... It was not necessarily invasion...

And the benins never checked up on their vassal state only when there is need...
The auchi areas were abandoned by the benin empire....
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Ofunaofu: 6:05pm On Aug 08, 2021
OGHENAOGIE:
You idiotic majority tribe like to colonize people how are they Igbos cos they dress in that clothing... U better format that your useless Brain

But you can make your submissions without insulting any one or tribe

Is it so difficult for you to do...,.. that says alot about your personality

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by gregyboy(m): 6:07pm On Aug 08, 2021
Senudi96:

Look at their language, names and cultural practices. Edoid cultures don't have New Yam festival.

Perhap many years living close to their Edoid neighbors have made them borrow some aspects of their culture and traditions but they're more Igbo than Edo.

Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Father4all: 6:16pm On Aug 08, 2021
Menance:

I also curse those who try to belittle Igbo by attaching it to other irrelevant tribe.

But God punish u and your house.h0ld for your 2nd sentence
God pur.nish your usel.ess igbo Tribe, backward people. Cursed people
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by Father4all: 6:17pm On Aug 08, 2021
Gambit23:

Insults will not change the fact that there are IGBO clans in Edo state

Shouting GOD punish IGBOs will not delete the fact that there are IGBOs klin Edo state.

And YES, Both IGBO land(Extends to the SS and middle belt) and SE has more than enough oil n gas that will serve us till the end of this century and beyond. IMO Anambra and Abia are already oil producing. And few weeks back, the courts have declared that 43 oil wells belonging to IGBOs which past leaders forced into Rovers state belongs to igbos.

Who God has blessed, no man can curse.
get lost, no use. Less igbo Tribe in my state. Hisss
Re: Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" by NaMe4: 6:18pm On Aug 08, 2021
boogie2:
Nairalanders please don't be deceived. That village is next to mine. Or rather that clan is next to mine. We speak the same language. Same customs. We are not in any way related to the ibos. Our language is one of the edoid languages meaning its tied to the Edo language. Our ancestors migrated from Benin. This is something I have researched. The red cap is purely coincidental. Historically we are more connected to the northerners who tried to conquer us during the jihad but failed.

A lot of folks don't read/research history. So some mischievous persons will always make attempts to deceive the few who may fall for such.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ghanaian Stunt Man Rises After An Epic Shameful Fall / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship / Ooni Of Ife Shuts Palace Over Coronavirus, Suspends Traditional Activities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.