Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,257 members, 7,822,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! (5351 Views)

A Nigerian Teacher Makes Money With A Backyard Tomato Farm / Massive Cassava Tuber From A Backyard Farm / Starting-up A Backyard Snail Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 10:11pm On Sep 05, 2021
emmaachile2:

Darina should be different from the typical parthenocarpic variety then since it has male flowers but It's grown in greenhouses and it's produces fruit without pollination. The Mydaz RZ F1 has all female flowers all resulting into fruits.

Different in what way ?

Does that mean it's best grown In greenhouse?
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 10:56pm On Sep 05, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

Different in what way ?

Does that mean it's best grown In greenhouse?
They can be grown anywhere even if no pollination occurs.
A normal parthenocarpic variety doesn't have males. They are normally grown in greenhouses without pollination. Darina f1 is known to be grown in closed green houses so one is surprised with the male flowers aspect. Maybe it's combines both qualities of parthenocarpic and gynoecious.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 10:59pm On Sep 05, 2021
any fertlizer application yet?
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 4:53am On Sep 06, 2021
emmaachile2:

They can be grown anywhere even if no pollination occurs.
A normal parthenocarpic variety doesn't have males. They are normally grown in greenhouses without pollination. Darina f1 is known to be grown in closed green houses so one is surprised with the male flowers aspect. Maybe it's combines both qualities of parthenocarpic and gynoecious.

Okay.
I read that environmental factors can cause changes in flowering patterns. So it can be concluded that Darina is best for closed green houses.

emmaachile2:
any fertlizer application yet?

Yes. Foliar spray of Agrovert
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 5:53pm On Sep 08, 2021
Dear diary,

Today's entry also brings great news. The cucumbers have been developing into fruits grin grin grin . Fingers remain crossed for a great harvest (I am not counting my chicks before they are hatched though undecided undecided).

It seems the dry season is approaching now. Watering is deep (about 1 and half liters per plant every other day).

Concerning the onion seeds, i was at NIPOST today and was told it hasn't gotten to them yet . Fingers remain crossed and hopefully, I will get it (I am certain of that).

Anyways, things are shaping up well and looking good. I took some pictures of the garden eggs and the sizes are simply amazing! shocked grin wink also and the Fantastic RZ F1 Aubergine sprouted yesterday (we will see how it goes).

As usual, stay tuned for more updates.

Stay safe, keep farming smiley

Shalom

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 6:20pm On Sep 08, 2021
I believe growing crops in sacks is more advantageous than growing in ground (for gardening purposes though).

You can control weeds better, you have more control over water retention and watering and application of pesticides, insecticide and fertilizer can be better monitored in sacks than in the ground.

It's my opinion though (based on wetin I don see)
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by tikkykay: 11:49pm On Sep 08, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:
Dear diary,

Today's entry also brings great news. The cucumbers have been developing into fruits grin grin grin . Fingers remain crossed for a great harvest (I am not counting my chicks before they are hatched though undecided undecided).

It seems the dry season is approaching now. Watering is deep (about 1 and half liters per plant every other day).

Concerning the onion seeds, i was at NIPOST today and was told it hasn't gotten to them yet . Fingers remain crossed and hopefully, I will get it (I am certain of that).

Anyways, things are shaping up well and looking good. I took some pictures of the garden eggs and the sizes are simply amazing! shocked grin wink also and the Fantastic RZ F1 Aubergine sprouted yesterday (we will see how it goes).

Stay safe, keep farming smiley

Shalom
Wow wow.. I am here silently wishing that those are mine..lol.
Well-done op..
How many days old is your cucumber?
How many days old is your African garden egg
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 7:28am On Sep 09, 2021
tikkykay:

Wow wow..[s] I am here silently wishing that those are mine..lol.[/s]
Well-done op..
How many days old is your cucumber?
How many days old is your African garden egg

grin grin
The cucumbers are 31 days post transplanting
The garden eggs are more than 6 months now. Garden egg is a perennial crop.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 1:14pm On Sep 11, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

grin grin
The cucumbers are 31 days post transplanting
The garden eggs are more than 6 months now. Garden egg is a perennial crop.

Dear diary ,

Here's what I woke up to!
A bountiful harvest of garden eggs that are sumptuous tongue

This harvest was given to neighbors and the whole family are out of it.
It's a great joy eating from your harvest because you're sure of what was used to grow it!

Looking forward to more of this smiley

5 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 8:55am On Sep 12, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

Dear diary ,

Here's what I woke up to!
A bountiful harvest of garden eggs that are sumptuous tongue

This harvest was given to neighbors and the whole family are out of it.
It's a great joy eating from your harvest because you're sure of what was used to grow it!

Looking forward to more of this smiley
I thought the Fantastic RZ F1 was purple in color? The long maturity time could be lack of nutrients/unfavourable environment. No way it will take 6 months before maturity.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 7:16pm On Sep 12, 2021
emmaachile2:

I thought the Fantastic RZ F1 was purple in color? The long maturity time could be lack of nutrients/unfavourable environment. No way it will take 6 months before maturity.

This isn't the Fantastic RZ F1 o grin
It's also a Rijk Zawani product though. It's called Kazinga F1. It's been fruiting far before the 6 months stated.

This particular harvest was just the one I decided to upload to this Diary.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 7:34pm On Sep 14, 2021
Dear diary , here are my cucumbers at 33 days after transplanting grin grin

Unfortunately, their growth is not uniform cry cry as evident by the size of the first plant and the others. Also, the fruits seem to be suffering from some sort of attack (see pictures 2 and 3). To the masters, Farmerakinloye6 , emmaachile2 , ideepaul , what could be the cause and what is the solution?

Attached also is a pepper fruit growing also!

Shalom!

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 9:28pm On Sep 14, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

Unfortunately, their growth is not uniform cry cry as evident by the size of the first plant and the others. Also, the fruits seem to be suffering from some sort of attack (see pictures 2 and 3). To the masters, Farmerakinloye6 , emmaachile2 , ideepaul , what could be the cause and what is the solution?

Shalom!
Which pepper is that? Chilli pepper from east west?
Cucumbers need a lot of nutrients. You need a high potassium nutrient like 12 0 42 or 1 0 3.5 now and if your flowers are low then apply a general fertilizer like 15 15 15 or better a 15 30 30.
My mydaz is still blossoming with more than 20 fruits still on it by using a 2 4 4 fertilizer ratio and a 20 5 70 + 4mg fertilizer ratio. Plant is way more than 4 months now. We call it at home the old warhorse. Might take pixs tomorrow.
Your foliar spray might not be enough. Any insecticide spray of recent? That fruit.sore can be caused by snails too.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 10:15pm On Sep 14, 2021
emmaachile2:

Which pepper is that? Chilli pepper from east west?
Cucumbers need a lot of nutrients. You need a high potassium nutrient like 12 0 42 or 1 0 3.5 now and if your flowers are low then apply a general fertilizer like 15 15 15 or better a 15 30 30.
My mydaz is still blossoming with more than 20 fruits still on it by using a 2 4 4 fertilizer ratio and a 20 5 70 + 4mg fertilizer ratio. Plant is way more than 4 months now. We call it at home the old warhorse. Might take pixs tomorrow.
Your foliar spray might not be enough. Any insecticide spray of recent? That fruit.sore can be caused by snails too.

The chilli is just a regular one from the market bought pepper we used to cook at home.

I have since changed to Agrovert 6-13-46. Which other potassium based fertilizer woul you recommend that's
1. Not above 5k and
2. Easily obtainable.

I spray insecticides every 14 days. I use DD Force with Caterpillar Force
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 6:09am On Sep 15, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

The chilli is just a regular one from the market bought pepper we used to cook at home.

I have since changed to Agrovert 6-13-46. Which other potassium based fertilizer woul you recommend that's
1. Not above 5k and
2. Easily obtainable.

I spray insecticides every 14 days. I use DD Force with Caterpillar Force

Just get npk 15 15 15 and combine with your foliar fertilizer. Apply weekly. You can get limestone from a feed mill for N20 per kg and apply 2 spoonful per container every month if you are growing calcium hungry crops like cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes.

Npk 15 15 15 in sold in small quantities like a mudu container. My area here is sold like 500 naira.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:47am On Sep 15, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

Shalom!
that your second picture is cause by insect... you need to apply caterpillar force.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 12:37pm On Sep 15, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
that your second picture is cause by insect... you need to apply caterpillar force.

Thanks.
I've been applying it since. But maybe I didn't get the dosage right.

What measurement will you recommend for a 2 litre sprayer ?
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 12:39pm On Sep 15, 2021
emmaachile2:

Just get npk 15 15 15 and combine with your foliar fertilizer. Apply weekly. You can get limestone from a feed mill for N20 per kg and apply 2 spoonful per container every month if you are growing calcium hungry crops like cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes.

Npk 15 15 15 in sold in small quantities like a mudu container. My area here is sold like 500 naira.

Thanks.

What's a 'mudu' in common parlance?

What we have here is the 20-10-10 that's sold in little quantities. I'll check the limestone from feed mills here though.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 5:35pm On Sep 15, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

Thanks.
I've been applying it since. But maybe I didn't get the dosage right.

What measurement will you recommend for a 2 litre sprayer ?
Dosage is 2ml per litre that's 4ml per 2 litre. Use the one for drugs to measure it. Look for insecticide with thiamethoxam 25 active ingredient if you can get and rotate the spraying.

zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

Thanks.

What's a 'mudu' in common parlance?

What we have here is the 20-10-10 that's sold in little quantities. I'll check the limestone from feed mills here though.
You don't need 20 10 10 now. Do they have mop which is unlikely.

A mudu is about 10 small tin milk container and about 2.5 mudu make one paint bucket.

Have you received your onion order from the post office?
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 7:30pm On Sep 15, 2021
emmaachile2:

Dosage is 2ml per litre that's 4ml per 2 litre. Use the one for drugs to measure it. Look for insecticide with thiamethoxam 25 active ingredient if you can get and rotate the spraying.
You don't need 20 10 10 now. Do they have mop which is unlikely.

A mudu is about 10 small tin milk container and about 2.5 mudu make one paint bucket.

Have you received your onion order from the post office?

They don't have mop o!. I've been using a tablespoon for the insecticide. I guess that's a low dose.
I'll look for an insecticide with the active ingredient you suggested.
The mudu isn't used here and I can't get that fertilizer here.

As for the onion, it's still a 'Not yet'.

We'll talk more on the other side sir.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 7:59pm On Sep 15, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

They don't have mop o!. I've been using a tablespoon for the insecticide. I guess that's a low dose.
I'll look for an insecticide with the active ingredient you suggested.
The mudu isn't used here and I can't get that fertilizer here.

As for the onion, it's still a 'Not yet'.

We'll talk more on the other side sir.
Tablespoon is more than 5ml. Should be about 15ml.
Look for a teaspoon and use.
If the problem stlll persist, get something like dimeforce (Dimethoate) if you cant get Renova (thiamethoxam). Either is systemic and anything that dares it is sorry!.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 4:21pm On Sep 22, 2021
Dear diary,

We're here with pleasant news! grin
The onion seeds promised by emmaachile2 and sent via NIPOST has finally been received!
I got a call yesterday but was available for pickup this afternoon!

We'll be planting directly in soil and also for transplant.

The aim is to compare the yield rate between the directly planted ones and the transplanted ones!

Join us on this journey! grin

Shalom.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On Sep 22, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:
Dear diary,

The onion seeds promised by emmaachile2 and sent via NIPOST has finally been received!

What do they look like? undecided
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 8:35pm On Sep 22, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:
Dear diary,

The aim is to compare the yield rate between the directly planted ones and the transplanted ones!

Join us on this journey! grin

Shalom.
Very slow delivery by Nipost especially to the south western states. I sent two items on the 2nd of September 2021 and only yours have delivered by registered post. The other item is not received as at today the 22nd of September 2021 (20 days later) by the receiver in Ogun State.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 8:50pm On Sep 22, 2021
emmaachile2:

Very slow delivery by Nipost especially to the south western states. I sent two items on the 2nd of September 2021 and only yours have delivered by registered post. The other item is not received as at today the 22nd of September 2021 (20 days later) by the receiver in Ogun State.

An item sent outside Nigeria was delivered in 8 days.
What do we say about the appalling speed of delivery

Nigerian factor ?
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 8:55pm On Sep 22, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

An item sent outside Nigeria was delivered in 8 days.
What do we say about the appalling speed of delivery

Nigerian factor ?
Na them Sabi.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 11:37am On Sep 23, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What do they look like? undecided

I'll take pictures of the seeds when I get home.
They don't look anything too fancy.
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 11:39am On Sep 23, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

Shalom!

The flies wrecked havoc on the cucumbers cry cry

I've since doubled the dose of the insecticide used and changes have been obvious
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 11:47am On Sep 23, 2021
Dear diary ,

Here are the Fantastic RZ F1 eggplants that sprouted September 7th. Here's 15 plus days of growth.
Transplanting will be done when they're about 30 days old.

Note the difference in size between the one planted in soil + cocopeat and the one planted in cocopeat only.

Cocopeat as a growing medium has little nutrient to support plant growth. Hence, when used for planting, you're expected to add fertilizer and other sources of plant nutrition.

Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by emmaachile2(m): 12:48pm On Sep 23, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

The flies wrecked havoc on the cucumbers cry cry

I've since doubled the dose of the insecticide used and changes have been obvious
Which chemicals are you using for aphids?
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On Sep 23, 2021
zxcvbnmlkjhgfds:

I'll take pictures of the seeds when I get home.
They don't look anything too fancy.
I have never seen or heard of onion seeds is why. I would love to have an idea for when I go to buy them myself. undecided
Re: Diary Of A Backyard Gardener! by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 2:34pm On Sep 23, 2021
emmaachile2:

Which chemicals are you using for aphids?

I'm using DD force.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Making Money From Onions Business. / Our Cages For Your Poultry Farms@65,000 / How Many Kg Of Garri Can We Get From 1 Tonne Of Cassava

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.