Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,119 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Google Keywords In Your Title Bar - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Google Keywords In Your Title Bar (1907 Views)

How Can I Search For The Most Effective Keywords On Google / A Beginner's Guide To The Role Of Keywords In SEO / Keywords In Urls And File Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by yawatide(f): 9:57pm On May 17, 2011
So, unless my eyes were deceiving me, I just discovered that when i was searching for something using 2 different sets of keywords, the same website came up #1, with the same keywords in its title bar.

Example: Let's say I search for "how to eat". First result has "how to eat" in the link. I click that and I go to site A with 'how to eat" in its title bar. I then click back to google and search for "how to drink". Again, same site pops up as #1 and when I click that link, I go to the same site A, but now with "how to drink" in the title bar.

Question: Were my eyes deceiving me? If not, how would I go about coding my page(s) to account for this?

Please share your answers here so that we can all learn. I can guarantee you that any posts that say, "contact me for more details", in so many words, will be ignored.

1 Like

Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Tityzkul(f): 4:56pm On May 18, 2011
very strange. I have not come across such.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by DualCore1: 5:46pm On May 18, 2011
contact me for more details.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by WeMaStEr(m): 6:37pm On May 18, 2011
oopps almost going offline, but saw this, hhmmmm why not let your keywords start with '' how to, display how to topic'' . and when anyone search for anything related to how to. it will direct to your site. if you use cms like wordpress, this will work wella, but haven't try html though.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by ogzille(m): 6:56pm On May 18, 2011
Dual Core:

contact me for more details.

angry angry
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by DualCore1: 7:04pm On May 18, 2011
you too contact me for details
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by yawatide(f): 7:24pm On May 18, 2011
@ogzille no mind Dua jo. d guy don clean mouth finish for elance come here dey look for trouble tongue

@wemaster if i understand where you are coming from, google doesn't place that much emphasis on keywords anymore. Why? cos ppl just view source of competitor website, copy their keywords and paste on their own site. Google places more emphasis on page titles and page description, compared to keywords. It also places more emphasis on how relevant keywords are used on various pages of the site.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 1:42am On May 19, 2011
yawa-ti-de:

So, unless my eyes were deceiving me, I just discovered that when i was searching for something using 2 different sets of keywords, the same website came up #1, with the same keywords in its title bar.

Example: Let's say I search for "how to eat". First result has "how to eat" in the link. I click that and I go to site A with 'how to eat" in its title bar. I then click back to google and search for "how to drink". Again, same site pops up as #1 and when I click that link, I go to the same site A, but now with "how to drink" in the title bar.

Question: Were my eyes deceiving me? If not, how would I go about coding my page(s) to account for this?

Please share your answers here so that we can all learn. I can guarantee you that any posts that say, "contact me for more details", in so many words, will be ignored.
well, i have seen it before. And i seem to know how to do just that - but i am not sure if it is legal sha. . . .i am in a hurry and dont have time for much talk now, besides, i will rather not want to share that knowlege in the public
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Seun(m): 2:42am On May 19, 2011
There's nothing hackish about it.  You just check the referrer and set the title accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 9:47am On May 19, 2011
Seun:

There's nothing hackish about it.  You just check the referrer and set the title accordingly.
EVeryone can do that, it is more than that really. . . .far more. . .there is a content management system
involved, database programming and some other ingredients. . . .

1 Like

Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by yawatide(f): 10:34am On May 19, 2011
Checking the referrer and populating the title bar with the name/value pair makes sense when you actually land on the site. My question has to do with sites that show up on the SERPs. In other words, way before you even click a link in google to go to the actual site. So:

I search for "dhtml is alive" and I get a results page with 10 results. #1 has as its title, "dhtml is alive". How is that "naturally" possible? Bear in mind, the site technically doesn't even know that it has been referenced at this point. In other words, if you were to check the logs, you wouldn't see anything that shows that the site was searched by someone in google. You only know that someone hit your site from google when they actually click the link on the SERPs.

Make sense?

1 Like

Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by DualCore1: 10:46am On May 19, 2011
Jazz
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 19, 2011
@yawa

sense. happens to me most times
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 9:50am On May 20, 2011
Dual Core:

Jazz
+2
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Seun(m): 11:16am On May 20, 2011
Provide the search terms so that we can investigate ourselves. Maybe you're missing something.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by yawatide(f): 7:35pm On May 20, 2011
I would have loved to but the bot ate up my post . . . twice
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 20, 2011
muhahaha. . .
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Seun(m): 11:50pm On May 21, 2011
She's lying.  If the bot ate her post, I would have seen it.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 6:31am On May 22, 2011
Seun:

She's lying.  If the bot ate her post, I would have seen it.
pues, donde estan los posts?
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by DualCore1: 6:50am On May 22, 2011
*dhtml:

pues, donde estan los posts?

Guess Translation: Bro my post don loss?
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by yawatide(f): 7:31am On May 22, 2011
@Seun I have nothing to lose by lying. After all, you don't know me. This particular post isn't the only one that has been lost here and it will probably won't be the last.

In the past, I used to save my posts in case it got eaten up. That way, I could repost but, I decided after a while not to bother anymore.

You can choose to believe what you want to believe. I know what I wrote (3 paragraphs) and I stand by my story.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by sisqology(m): 12:20pm On May 22, 2011
still watching @_@
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 10:16pm On May 22, 2011
sisqology:

still watching @_@
+2
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by SpikesC1: 11:43pm On May 23, 2011
Ok,lets think like this and pls correct me if am wrong.

Bots behave like human visitors in a way,it indexes your website and caches the pages.when a visitor comes,it serves the cached content. Now,if you tell it not to cache a page,it will still index it(indexing in the sense,knowing your link exists but doesn't know your full content).

So now,when a visitor performs a search,the bot visits you and gets the content you served up to it,which would have been manipulated by the REFFERER function.

Disclaimer: am not fully sure of this but i know most of it is true. Someone gave me an idea before but can't really place the bits together. Atleast am sure you can tell a search bot what and what not to cache even in a given page. Maybe dhtm can atleast give us an idea,if he really knows. but when i find out,i'll post it here.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 11:50pm On May 23, 2011
Spikes C, :

Ok,lets think like this and pls correct me if am wrong.

Bots behave like human visitors in a way,it indexes your website and caches the pages.when a visitor comes,it serves the cached content. Now,if you tell it not to cache a page,it will still index it(indexing in the sense,knowing your link exists but doesn't know your full content).

So now,when a visitor performs a search,the bot visits you and gets the content you served up to it,which would have been manipulated by the REFFERER function.

Disclaimer: am not fully sure of this but i know most of it is true. Someone gave me an idea before but can't really place the bits together. Atleast am sure you can tell a search bot what and what not to cache even in a given page. Maybe dhtm can atleast give us an idea,if he really knows. but when i find out,i'll post it here.
if i really know? muy interesante. . .con permiso, post what you know and you shall be corrected (if you goof), well, just kidding. . . . . .ama small boy and no sabi nada
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by SpikesC1: 3:04am On May 24, 2011
*dhtml:

if i really know? muy interesante. . .con permiso, post what you know and you shall be corrected (if you goof), well, just kidding. . . . . .ama small boy and no sabi nada

Naaaaah,i think atleast you have an idea.
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by DualCore1: 3:35am On May 24, 2011
Spikes C, :

Naaaaah,i think atleast you have an idea.
Naaaa he has no idea. Trust me cool
This is not a senorita matter so he's blank wink
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 6:30am On May 24, 2011
muchas gracias senor dual core, btw, i have not seen afrobaby of recent, where she dey?
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by yawatide(f): 12:01pm On May 24, 2011
Some of you guys always turn serious post into "search for babes" post. na wa o.

All the same, @Spikes, after your explanation, I am beginning to buy the idea of using the referrer.

What I will do is experiment with a particular site and check in every week or so after which I will report my findings to the board.

Thanks
Re: Google Keywords In Your Title Bar by Nobody: 1:11pm On May 24, 2011
Try a little titbit like this (am not revealing everything)

If i submit an xml sitemap to google and say:

.net?page=yawa - and the title of that page is yawatide based on the ?page is yawa
and do the same thing for dual core - and seun-
that way, the url search for the search terms will keep showing unique titles even if the contents of
the page is the same. So it is not a simple SERVER_REFERAL issue like our friend spikes suggested. . .

but of course the url can be in any format. the sitemap xml allows you to post anything you like.
I once had a site made up of one single page, and i managed to create 100 different types of search
results using something similar to what i just described.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

All Wapka Wapmasters. Post Your Website. / Web Design / Drupal Website Developer Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.