Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Why Do Nigerian Politicians Let Their Differences Get In The Way Of Developing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerian Politicians Let Their Differences Get In The Way Of Developing (357 Views)

Do Nigerian Politicians Eat In Each Other’s House? / Anger Of Israelis Increasing As Buhari Refuses To Let Their People Go / Why Can’t Nigerian Politicians Let The Will Of The People Prevail? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Politicians Let Their Differences Get In The Way Of Developing by Princeton92(m): 7:19am On Aug 11, 2021
Take for example "what did the then US President Bush think of President Obama after the 2008 election?

Apparently they get along very well.

On the day after the presidential election of 2008, President George W. Bush walked to the podium in the Rose Garden of the White House and stated:

"Good morning. Last night I had a warm conversation with president-elect Barack Obama. I congratulated him and Senator Biden on their impressive victory. I told the president-elect he could count on complete cooperation from my administration as he makes the transition to the White House ...

... Last night I extended an invitation to the president-elect and Mrs Obama to come to the White House and Laura and I are looking forward to welcoming them as soon as possible. Thank you very much."

Then on November 10, 2008, the Obamas visited the White House and were welcomed by the Bushes.

After the initial meeting, President Bush and President-elect Obama walked into the Oval Office where they spoke for just over an hour.

According to “President Bush had a ‘relaxed’ and ‘friendly’ meeting with President-elect Barack Obama” and Dana Perino, then White House press secretary, stated, “The president enjoyed his visit with the president-elect, and he again pledged a smooth transition to the next administration."

In Jean Edward Smith's biography of George W. Bush, he wrote about what President Bush thought of President-elect Obama during the transition period.

On page 650, it states:

“As part of the presidential transition, Barack Obama asked Bush if it would be possible for him to meet all the ex-presidents. Bush was happy to oblige, and organized a White House luncheon in the Oval Office on January 7. Bush and Obama were joined by Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and George H. W. Bush. The luncheon lasted over two hours, each former president ordered his lunch à la carte from the White House mess, and the tone was convivial and friendly. “All the gentlemen here understand both the pressures and possibilities of this office,” said Obama before the meeting. “For me to have the opportunity to get advice, good counsel and fellowship with these individuals is extraordinary, and I just want to thank the President for hosting us.”

Bush was equally effusive. “We want you to succeed,” he replied. “Whether we're Democrat or Republican we care deeply about this country. And to the extent we can we look forward to sharing out experiences with you. All of us who have served in this office understand that the office transcends the individual.”

Immediately after the luncheon, Bush met with Brit Hume of Fox News for a lengthy and reflective interview. Asked about his feelings toward Obama, Bush was remarkably positive. “I liked him,” the president told Hume, “the man is obviously a charismatic person. And I was—you know, wish him all the best. The reason we had the dinner, or the lunch—we call them dinners in Texas— the lunch at the White House was so that he could hear from the current President and former Presidents that we want him to succeed. And he is an engaging person, and I am very impressed by the priority he places on his family.”

On page 653, Smith wrote regarding Inauguration Day 2009, “Bush had become fond of Obama and went out of his way to ensure the incoming president was comfortable that morning.” Since then, they have seen each other from time to time at official occasions and perhaps at private functions. Despite their different political affiliations, in my opinion they seem to like and respect each other. I am apt to believe that they have set an example that all of us should follow. In demonstrating that no matter what their political affiliations are, if they can set aside their politics and embrace each other as friends then so can all of us. In this current political climate, we would do well to take their example to heart and do as Lincoln said, “to bind up the nation's wounds” and bring about, “a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.”

Politics in Nigeria should be life and death OR not even a competition BUT it's naturally a hobby worldwide even though our very own politicians see it as an occupation, they need to be re-educated ooo.... undecided angry

Cc: lalasticlala, Mynd44, seun.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Politicians Let Their Differences Get In The Way Of Developing by Monogamy: 7:32am On Aug 11, 2021
Because majority of them are opportunists just like an average Nigerians.

Me still wondering why some Nigerians would be waiting to get elected in any political position before they can contribute their quota towards the development of this country.

Have all the contestants who lose in the last election giving up about the country or they are waiting for the next election before they can have new agenda?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Politicians Let Their Differences Get In The Way Of Developing by Waakanda: 7:57am On Aug 11, 2021
Their corrupt tendencies and god-fatherism mentality will not allow them to cool

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Visits 2nd Niger Bridge / 3 Things OYC Leader Was Right About When He Called For Igbo Presidency / 2023: Osinbajo Has Not Declared Interest In Presidential Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.