Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,976 members, 7,835,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago (43026 Views)

Super Eagles Remember Samuel Okwaraji Who Died While Playing Against Angola / NFF Remembers Samuel Okwaraji (Photos) / Emenike Displays Ojukwu, Okwaraji, Yekini, Keshi's Pictures In His Mansion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Kenturkey048(m): 4:55pm On Aug 12, 2021
Sleekfingers:
I was at the stadium with my uncle and his friends that day......it was a really sad day......

Oh! Okwaraji ,oh! Okwaraji( in kollington ayinla's voice)

Wow...Na ancient of days you be ooh...
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 12, 2021
Mastadestiny:

Oooooo Okwarajiiii, oooooo Okwarajiiii, Iwo nikan lowo baba Iwo nikan lowo mama tan ban gba boolu lorun ko maa ge won lege araa.

Thanks
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Amah70: 4:57pm On Aug 12, 2021
Continue to rest in the Lord, Sam.

Even in your Orlu local government area in Imo state, two former governors tried to build, but did not complete Sam Okwaraji stadiums, in remembrance of your name.
But after the present governor rebuilt the stadium in the capital city, Owerri, he said he is expanding the stadium in Owerri to Olympic size. The two Sam Okwaraji Stadiums are left to rot.

1 Share

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Kayodeblaze(m): 4:57pm On Aug 12, 2021
I thought he died against India?? When he scored that only goal which turn into stone undecided
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by jubrilELsudan: 5:02pm On Aug 12, 2021
I CAN NEVER FORGET THAT DAY. IT WILL FOREVER BE IN MY MEMORY.

THE IMAGE OF OKWARAJI OPEN CASKET LYING IN STATE HUNTED ME FOR YEARS. I CAN STILL REMEMBER HOW HE LOOKED WITH SO MUCH GRIEF AND PAIN ON HIS FACE. WATCHING HIS LYING IN STATE ON TV AND SEEING HIM MADE US ALL SHED SO MUCH TEARS.

WHY DID WE ALL CRY FOR HIM? BECAUSE THE WHOLE NATION WATCHED HIM DIE RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES ON LIVE TV. NO COMMERCIAL BREAK. WE ALL WATCHED HIM TAKE HIS LAST BREATH ON TV ON CLOSE UP ZOOM.

TILL TODAY, WE ALL THAT WITNESSED HIS DEATH, IT'S STILL TOO PAINFUL TO TALK ABOUT.

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Youngminister(m): 5:03pm On Aug 12, 2021
Rest On Samuel Chukwuma Okwaraji
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by faoogoke(m): 5:03pm On Aug 12, 2021
domesifa:
I remember that day. I was in Primary 2. Dad broke the news at home. Mom and we (my siblings) wept profusely (as if we knew anything about the late Okwaraji then).

We all developed hatred for the name Angola. We assumed that the Angolans were responsible for his death. We ensured that the name Angola was expunged from all our books, calendars and maps.

The Angolans were very hard on him during the match. Oparaji is still the most committed Nigerian player in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by West2019(m): 5:11pm On Aug 12, 2021
That day still refreshing my brain, me ,ibb,obj, buhari , Atiku, Dangote,otidola, buratain ,saraki, Davide mark later sani abacha we are all there
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Counterfeit: 5:11pm On Aug 12, 2021
I remember him, when he first came back from Belgium. He would stroll past my house with his elder brother, Patty Okwaraji, and sometimes, with his younger sister.. I've forgotten her name; had a crush on her. Whenever I see her coming back from errand, I would Chase her, run after her until she runs into someone's hand or house, to seek refuge.
I remember Sam Okwaraji's Mom coming to our house to lodge a complaint about me to my dad, regarding my harassment to her only daughter...Lol..
The next day in school, she definitely would spank the living daylights out of my bum..she was my teacher in primary school. Samuel Okwaraji was a gentle soul, he would give out jerseys to us, his neighbours, and he would plead with me not to hurt his sister. He was a true patriot.

4 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Zainabthegirl1(f): 5:13pm On Aug 12, 2021
I wasn’t born then but I’ve heard about Sam...May his soul Rest In Peace..this same thing happened to eriksen when he was playing on the pitch but due to good medical provision he was saved...Nigeria no just spoil oh e don spoil tey tey
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Sleekfingers: 5:14pm On Aug 12, 2021
Kenturkey048:

Wow...Na ancient of days you be ooh...

Wetin man go do

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by alexola20(m): 5:19pm On Aug 12, 2021
It was Kollington Ayinla “kebenkwara”.
Skyview01:
That was the good old days! Kwam 1 had a song for Okwaraji.

Oooooo Okwaraji ooo, Oooo Okwarajioo! iwo nikan lowo baba, iwo nikan lowo mamaa, ...to a gba bolu yiooo, O ge won lege ara oo.
or something like that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Achizzy7: 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2021
osamz007:
Our black panther don unite with black mamba
When the time come we go still jam for Wakanda

falz d bad guy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by lifeandjoy: 5:20pm On Aug 12, 2021
In blaqbonez voice
"Me I no dey waste energy, ball like okwaraji"
Rip legend
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by ajani1978(m): 5:21pm On Aug 12, 2021
Skyview01:
That was the good old days! Kwam 1 had a song for Okwaraji.

Oooooo Okwaraji ooo, Oooo Okwarajioo! iwo nikan lowo baba, iwo nikan lowo mamaa, ...to a gba bolu yiooo, O ge won lege ara oo.
or something like that.

Not Kwam1 sing it. It's General Kollington Ayinla.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Kenneth10110(m): 5:21pm On Aug 12, 2021
Then they told us it was Nigeria vs India match the thing happened. 100-0 just one goal and we win then the ball turned to a stone which he was warned not to kick but he did and scored. angry

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Achizzy7: 5:24pm On Aug 12, 2021
I thought dey said he died against India ??!!

Kai naija nd fake stories be lik 5&6

rest on legend
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Tfstyler: 5:27pm On Aug 12, 2021
Muyiwaipere:
Them say e chest stone
against India... Omo rumours can fly o
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Omicron007: 5:29pm On Aug 12, 2021
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

A simple PCR would have saved that guy.
RIP to him.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Benbellamor: 5:29pm On Aug 12, 2021
I remember drawing his portrait to honor him in 1989, and send it to Herald newspaper in Ilorin fortunately my artwork on okwaraji was posted in the Saturday edition of the following week, with my school st Barnabas sec school ....someone brought a copy to the school and that was how I became popular in the school... Our principal announced my name and call me out, sone of my colleagues celebrated, but few were jealous... I don't know how the newspaper disappeared from my locked locker and that was the last time I saw the paper that day...unable to show my parents....our local paper newsdest promised to get me another copy but they couldn't follow up....the experience 32years ago is still fresh in my memory because the perpetrator was caught again breaking my locker and this time around my parent confronted his own parent and separated us .....guess what? He was my best friend I never think could ever do that
Lesson... Beware of envious friends, they are worst than a serpent.... But I forgive him

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Curvinus(m): 5:31pm On Aug 12, 2021
Op Keshi too is of blessed memory.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by 8stargeneral: 5:38pm On Aug 12, 2021
Rest in peace legend.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Zenithpeak(m): 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2021
Michaelmercy:
Nigeria don cast no be today.
Same thing happened to erisken but he was saved due to a good emergency health system put in place .

It was near impossible to revive him that day... He contended for an aerial ball with an opponent and dropped down almost motionless and was the end. He couldn't make it to the hospital.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Adakintroy: 5:54pm On Aug 12, 2021
There was a player in Nigeria...

His name is called oparaji...

He Beatty one..

He Beatty two...

He Beatty three and score the goal

...you know the rest ...

Continue to rest well our son.

He was a Nigeria. Notva biafran. One Nigeria.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Adakintroy: 5:54pm On Aug 12, 2021
There was a player in Nigeria...

His name is called oparaji...

He Beatty one..

He Beatty two...

He Beatty three and score the goal

...you know the rest ...

Continue to rest well our son.

He was a Nigeria. Not biafran. One Nigeria.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2021
ajani1978:

Not Kwam1 sing it. It's General Kollington Ayinla.

My bad! Thought it was Kwam 1. Used to enjoy the song.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 12, 2021
alexola20:
It was Kollington Ayinla “kebenkwara”.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Seun360(m): 5:56pm On Aug 12, 2021
Hmmm, the late Amanchukwu broke the news to us the following morning. A Sunday Morning to be precised. Time really flies.
Re: Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago by Amudeneogu: 5:58pm On Aug 12, 2021
Legend of all time. If it is in a develop country they would have institute an endowment in his honor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shaunae Miller Dives Across Finish Line To Win Gold Medal / Dutch Players Stand Still After Kick Off To Protest Against Racism / Ex-Super Eagles Vs Kogi: Yahaya Bello Scores In A 1-1 Draw (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.