Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,360 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? (719 Views)

A Pie Chart Showing The Pattern Of Buhari's Appointments / After Rejecting Jonathan, Nigerians Deserve Boko Haram Bombings – Fani-kayode / Asari Dokubo Wants APC Miracle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? by johnie: 8:15am On May 18, 2011
About two years after he poo-pooed Yar Adua's amnesty programme, Asari Dokubo now wants to be included. I heard this on the radio this morning. I haven't found a report on it in any of the major newspapers. All I have found so far is this:

Amnesty: Dokubo-Asari makes u-turn

Leader of the Niger-Delta Peoples’ Volunteer Force (NDPVF), Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, has a made a U-turn on his decision for his group not to have anything to do with amnesty programme, asking the Federal Government to consider his group in the benefit package.

Dokubo-Asari had rejected the Federal Government’s offer at the initial stage on reason that himself and his followers were not criminals, but freedom fighters and saying that, as their activities had contributed to the development of modern-day Niger Delta, they deserved to be part of the goodies of the amnesty programme.

The former president of the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC), who was irked by the recent round of armed struggle in the oil and gas-rich region, spoke during a rally, marking the memorial of Ijaw national hero, Isaac Adaka Boro, in Port Harcourt, on Tuesday.

The self-styled freedom fighter also admonished President Goodluck Jonathan to make delivery of good governance and rule of law, even as he called on him to reject the appointment of Justice Ibrahim Auta as the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court.

“We have not been part of the amnesty under the late President Umaru Yar’Adua because the programme contradicts our belief as genuine fighters who are not out to fight only for our own interest.

“Rather, we are fighting for the interest of the land and people of the Niger Delta, a land where our people suffer in the ocean of wealth.

However, as the pioneers of the contemporary Niger Delta Movements, we should not be ostracised from any utilitarian plans of the government,” he siad.

http://sturvs.com/37147/

Another "source"
http://www.worldstagegroup.com/worldstage/index.php?&id=2777&active=news
Re: Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? by johnie: 8:17am On May 18, 2011
He had earlier sued the FG for declaring the amnesty:

Amnesty: Asari-Dokubo sues FG
On October 6, 2009 · In News
By Emma Amaize & Ise-Oluwa Ige

ABUJA — A TOTAL 232 members of the Asari Dokubo-led Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force (NDPVF), yesterday, filed a class action before the Abuja Federal High Court to void the amnesty granted by President Umaru Yar’Adua to militants in the creeks of Niger Delta region.

Meanwhile, repentant militant leader, High Chief Government Ekpemupolo, better known as Tompolo, who embraced the Federal Government’s amnesty and surrendered 157 assorted weapons and large quantity of dynamites, Sunday, to the Government at Oporoza community in Warri South-West Local Government Area of Delta State has returned to Abuja in his bid to tidy up some loose ends with President Umaru Yar’Adua.

The plaintiffs are contending that the President lacked the legal powers to invoke Section 175 to grant pardon to the militants who were never charged nor convicted of any criminal offence.

They argued that President Umaru Yar’Adua, though had the powers to grant amnesty to convicts, but that he could not exercise his powers under section 175 of the 1999 constitution except the said militants had been charged, tried and convicted for committing some criminal offences.

Some of the plaintiffs are Abaji Kom Bonimi, Obu Yellow, Daddy Mac-Harry, Asime Jenewari, Super Gayous and Alhaji Iburu.

They joined the Attorney-General of the Federation, Chief Michael Aondoakaa (SAN) as defendant in the case.

The case was filed less than 24 hours after the deadline given by the Federal Government to the militants to disarm expired.

It would be recalled that Asari Dokubo was sighted a couple of months ago on the premises of the Federal High Court, Abuja when he went to file the suit.

He had spoken with newsmen that he was having difficulty filing the suit and that he was waiting to see the Administrative Judge of the Abuja Federal High Court to find out why he would not be allowed to file the suit even if the issues he raised therein were unmeritorious.

Nothing was heard about the case until yesterday when it was eventually filed.
In the suit, the plaintiffs are seeking the declaration of the court that “the 1st Defendant (that is, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria), does not have the powers to grant pardon to a person under Section 175 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, without specifying the particular offence created by an Act of the National Assembly, which the person is concerned with or has been convicted of, and for which he is granting pardon.

Others prayers include:

•A declaration that it is a gross violation of the right to fair hearing enshrined in Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for the President (1st defendant) whilst exercising his powers to grant pardon under the same constitution, to unilaterally decide that a person is concerned with an offence, refuse to mention the Section of the law the person has breached and unilaterally grant pardon to such a person and as such be the accuser and the judge, all in one.

•A declaration that the President (1st Defendant) cannot exercise his powers to grant pardon under Section 175 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria without the person concerned with or convicted of the said offence applying for pardon to the President”.

Besides, they are asking the court for “an order nullifying the pardon purportedly granted to the Plaintiffs and other persons named and unnamed by the 1st Defendant for being unconstitutional, null and void and for such further orders as the court may deem fit in the circumstances of the case.

In a written address accompanying the writ, they traced the history of the President’s amnesty and why it should be voided.

According to them, they said President Yar’Adua on June 26, 2009 made a proclamation wherein he offered amnesty to members of NDPVF as led by Mujahid Asari Dokubo whose name was said to have been included in those granted amnesty by the Federal Government.

The 13 paragraph affidavit quoted President Yar’Adua as saying “Now therefore I as Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; after due consultation with the Council of State and in exercise of the powers conferred upon me by the provisions of Section 175 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, make the following proclamation:

I hereby grant amnesty and unconditional pardon to all persons who have directly or indirectly participated in the commission of offences associated with militant activities in the Niger Delta;

“The pardon shall take effect upon the surrender and handing over of all equipment, weapons, arms and ammunition and execution of the renunciation of Militancy Forms specified in the schedule hereto, by the affected persons at the nearest collection centre established for the purpose of Government in each of the Niger Delta States; The unconditional pardon granted pursuant to this proclamation shall extend to all persons presently being prosecuted for offence associated with militant activities; and

This proclamation shall cease to have effect from Sunday, 4th October, 2009″
As at the time of filing this report no date has been fixed for the hearing of the suit.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/amnesty-asari-dokubo-sues-fg/
Re: Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? by johnie: 8:33am On May 18, 2011
At last, found the story in Tribune !

Amnesty: Dokubo-Asari makes u-turn
| Print | E-mail
Written by Bolaji Ogundele, Port Harcourt
Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Leader of the Niger-Delta Peoples’ Volunteer Force (NDPVF), Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, has a made a U-turn on his decision for his group not to have anything to do with amnesty programme, asking the Federal Government to consider his group in the benefit package.

Dokubo-Asari had rejected the Federal Government’s offer at the initial stage on reason that himself and his followers were not criminals, but freedom fighters and saying that, as their activities had contributed to the development of modern-day Niger Delta, they deserved to be part of the goodies of the amnesty programme.

The former president of the Ijaw Youths Council (IYC), who was irked by the recent round of armed struggle in the oil and gas-rich region, spoke during a rally, marking the memorial of Ijaw national hero, Isaac Adaka Boro, in Port Harcourt, on Tuesday.

The self-styled freedom fighter also admonished President Goodluck Jonathan to make delivery of good governance and rule of law, even as he called on him to reject the appointment of Justice Ibrahim Auta as the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court.

“We have not been part of the amnesty under the late President Umaru Yar’Adua because the programme contradicts our belief as genuine fighters who are not out to fight only for our own interest.

“Rather, we are fighting for the interest of the land and people of the Niger Delta, a land where our people suffer in the ocean of wealth.

However, as the pioneers of the contemporary Niger Delta Movements, we should not be ostracised from any utilitarian plans of the government,” he siad.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/22123-amnesty-dokubo-asari-makes-u-turn
Re: Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? by Nobody: 8:52am On May 18, 2011
They should give him minister of militancy affairs make we rest.
Re: Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? by johnie: 9:38am On May 18, 2011
^^^

grin
Re: Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? by 1025: 1:42pm On May 18, 2011
those of us are law abiding citizens get no amnesty nor any amnesty package hence the need for us to turn to militants to get the attention of pdp.
ladies and gentlemen, i have declared myself a militant henceforth so;
I NO GO GREE OO, I NO GO GREE.
Re: Dokubo Wants Amnesty Pie Two Years After Rejecting It? by md4real(m): 3:40pm On May 18, 2011
1025:

those of us are law abiding citizens get no amnesty nor any amnesty package hence the need for us to turn to militants to get the attention of pdp.
ladies and gentlemen, i have declared myself a militant henceforth so;

blow pipeline before we recognize you

(1) (Reply)

Support Intensifies For South West Speaker / Leading Indicator States For Progress In Nigerian Governance (on State Level) / Western Niger Of Nigeria Should Bid And Host The Africa Nation Cup In 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.