Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) (33002 Views)

Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) / THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? / 10 Memorable Nigerian TV Characters Of The 80s & 90s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Doggedseller: 3:50pm On Aug 14, 2021
OpinionCounts:

Also BEHIND THE CLOUDS.

Yes i remember behind the clouds. THIRD EYE, POT OF LIFE(that scared the hello out of me) etc. Times have really flown by sha

4 Likes

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by chuksohams(m): 3:53pm On Aug 14, 2021
Where una for see that RMD and that lady pics again
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by CountVersailles(f): 4:10pm On Aug 14, 2021

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by OpinionCounts(m): 4:10pm On Aug 14, 2021
Doggedseller:

Yes i remember behind the clouds. THIRD EYE, POT OF LIFE(that scared the hello out of me) etc. Times have really flown by sha

Honestly, Times have really flown by..
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by harmony75: 4:16pm On Aug 14, 2021
Everyone looked forward to these programs then � it was discussed then like the way you talk about the football clubs naw! Really nice programs then!
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by madjune(m): 4:16pm On Aug 14, 2021
This show was amongst the prime shows that distracted Nigerians on Sunday nights while IBB and his lietnanants looted the national treasury.

2 Likes

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 14, 2021
Yo this was actually hard, I remember the soundtrack it booming out of everyone houses those days.

2 Likes

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Donedeal1(m): 4:24pm On Aug 14, 2021
Checkmate, keeping people off the streets like European league match.
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by blowjohn(m): 4:26pm On Aug 14, 2021
What about Willie Willie

2 Likes

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Theicecode(m): 4:32pm On Aug 14, 2021
Those lovely days unlike now
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by SavageResponse(m): 4:37pm On Aug 14, 2021
LadySarah:
grin
Now NTA is now so useless even Gotv has it as its only free channel. To make matters worse, We still won't watch it for free.

Chai!

You just murdered NTA! shocked
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by angelfallz(m): 4:42pm On Aug 14, 2021
NTA is a reflection of Nigeria. Remove NTA from the hands of the government and you would see.

LadySarah:
grin
Now NTA is now so useless even Gotv has it as its only free channel. To make matters worse, We still won't watch it for free.
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by MoIbrahim: 4:45pm On Aug 14, 2021
Racoon:
Who are those who remember this series with nostalgia? Blessed are you.For you must not have been of the indomie generation.

I do.
Behind The Cloud, Ripples, etc.
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by WriterX(m): 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2021
Racoon:
Who are those who remember this series with nostalgia? Blessed are you.For you must not have been of the indomie generation.
mehn this brought smiles to my face, omoh i enjoy this show well welll.
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Tinyemeka(m): 5:17pm On Aug 14, 2021
So many emotions running through me right now as I watched the YouTube vid.

This program used to hold mum and then-favourite cousin, Adaego spellbound every week (I believe it used to run every Wednesday or Thursday night, if I'm not mistaken).

They are both late now, which heightened my sadness.

Wondering how they'd have reacted if I showed them this video.

4 Likes

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Fortez: 5:17pm On Aug 14, 2021
Yeah
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Donchyke007(m): 5:26pm On Aug 14, 2021
I think Checkmate was aired on Thursdays not weekends.

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 14, 2021
Great tv series, so many won't understand.

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by TheWolfen(m): 5:52pm On Aug 14, 2021
I didn't see this particular TV series but I saw funke akindele I need to know, Family circle and others
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 14, 2021
Racoon:

Can't forget Checkmate but Fortunes will always be my number one. Can't forget Ripples either or Behind the Clouds. Nonso I heard is late. None of the soaps they do now can hold a candle to any of these.

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by KelvinCoaster(m): 6:47pm On Aug 14, 2021
Wow, i was narrating this series to my wife and kids last sunday while watching Ego Boyo and RMD on Mr X Family drama.
Remembered how Segun Kadiri would always rub the side of his nose with his index finger,his coarse voice and very mean attitude.
Bobmanuel was very young then!
Good old days!!

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 14, 2021
Beancounter94:
Don't have much memories of the programme, because as a child, it was on my parent's list of 'Television shows that were verbotten for ever'.

A list that did not change as I entered teenagehood. Immediately the strains of the show came on, my mama would switch off the television and announce that it was time for evening prayers. With my papa's approval.

Why? Care to share?
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 14, 2021
toren:

Why? Care to share?

Apparently it wasn't a decent enough programme for children

(Twas a conservative house)
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 14, 2021
Beancounter94:

Apparently it wasn't a decent enough programme for children

(Twas a conservative house)

Oh okay.
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Goke7: 7:44pm On Aug 14, 2021
CountVersailles:

This was a time when Nigerian women covered up.

Those were times when what you had upstairs matter more than what you wear.

Our values as a society today is upside down

2 Likes

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Goke7: 7:47pm On Aug 14, 2021
Donchyke007:
I think Checkmate was aired on Thursdays not weekends.

Yes it was on Thursdays. Most NTA network soaps were on Thursdays even till the days of superstory

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by Blueeyesman: 7:55pm On Aug 14, 2021
greenie77:

Checkmate was on Thursdays.
Spot on bro..
Every Thursday at 8pm

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by stancydg: 8:17pm On Aug 14, 2021
Nostalgic indeed. HALITA is even more fantastic and the only series worth watching on DSTV, others are recycled stories, actors and producers.
Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by saaron(m): 8:31pm On Aug 14, 2021
The good old days. We recorded an episode of the program in VHS. But my favorite is Behind the Clouds.

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by placeofallure(f): 8:39pm On Aug 14, 2021
Racoon:

I was in Junior Secondary then. They used to show it on Thursday evenings. I remember Friday gists is never complete if we haven't discussed Checkmate.
Then, electricity was constant. Even though we no get gen, we hardly ever miss it.

1 Like

Re: Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) by yinks77: 9:30pm On Aug 14, 2021
The mother of them all was behind the cloud, with such names as the late Nosa, bayo, funmi, hajia governmeti, mallam, Bawa, Lantana among others.
Do we also remember Mr B and company, directed by the late Ken Saro wiwa, and Osofia being one of the script writers then. The good old days indeed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pepsi Gives Leo And Ifu Ennada N5 Million They Won On BBNaija (Photos) / BBNaija: "I’m Jealous" – Queen Confronts Whitemoney Over Closeness With Jackie B / TVC Or Channels?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.