Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,834 members, 7,828,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

My Story My Life So Far - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Story My Life So Far (321 Views)

Journey So Far! : Corona Lockdown Motivated Me To Start My Youtube Channel. / Kindle Success Making Money Online - Journey So Far / Innoson Reacts: Bench Warrant Against Me Is An Abuse Of Process Taken Too Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Story My Life So Far by Codeye(m): 10:46am On Aug 14, 2021
Social work Study
Hello everyone, My name are Samuel Yemi Michael, I am Thirty one year old born 1989 25th July. Born and raised in Lagos state Nigeria from Epe local government. School at Lincoln Nursery and primary school at Sabo Oniba Lagos Nigeria, finish my Secondary school at Oko-Afo Junior and Secondary school along Badagry Express way. In 2008 I did GCE otherwise known as SSCE, before I finally did my Waec in 2009. I was born into a polygamous family, my father married five wivies. At tender age of thirteen most of my brothers and sisters were left to take care of ourselves, we were twelve, everyone scattered around the Lagos state seeking for ways to survive, feeding and get basic things necessary to cope with Life. It was tough I personally had to do menial Jobs to pay for my school Fees, Exam fees and so on. Work at sites, bakery, food restaurants etc. After my O level I ventured into factory work at Amuwo Odofin at Mile 2 in a Company called Century Obikings, then I live at Sabo Oniba some miles away from the Company which I worked, it might not be miles but the traffic can make it seems that way, anyone who lives in Lagos will understand what I am taking about here, I usually wake up around 4:30am in order to beat the traffic, I earn about eighteen thousand naira weekly that was in 2010 the pay is good considering the level of my Education though transportation costs had some impact on this wages and I had to assist my siblings as they too depends on my income as a result there was little or no savings from my earnings couple with the fact that the work is contractual in nature, sometimes we might not go to work for months, all that I might have saved during those times working will be exhausted when work resumes I will be forced to borrow money for transportation. That was the major reasons why I decided to leave the work for a better stable Job yet again Educational matter kick in, as I do not have the required Certificate to get employed in better paying Job even if there were few opportunities, it was a major factor then, little could I do with my O level Certificate. In 2011 apply for a Security Job at Asco Security Company around Festac town Apple Junction, I undergo training for two weeks before I was deployed to at Company called Lino at Abule Osun just before under bridge close to Army barrack at Ojo Local government area. I was paid twenty thousand Seven hundred Naira monthly. Partially manage through with my skill to repair phone and detect fault, those I could not repaired by myself was taken to Alaba international market for more professional hand while I charge and get my commission. This was what I assisted my Salary with and I was able to raise my savings. Also organised Credit and Drift Cooperation within the Company with my Colleagues and the workers at the Company, it was a genius idea then because I was able to save also help my siblings at home, life became easy compare to the hardship which seems like there is not a way out, after a year things began to fall apart, Colleagues left, some were transferred we were unable to continue our contribution not long I too was transferred to another company which was paying much less than I was earning in my previous company from twenty thousand Seven hundred Naira to Sixteen thousand naira only. I could not cope with the situation at the time after about four months or so, I resigned though before that I was hoping to get redeployment but since my efforts become furtile , there was no order choice order than to leave to seek better opportunities elsewhere. I was searching for Job for a full year throughout the year 2013 before I eventually got Job as a Store keeper in a Coca cola depot not far from my home, I was paid ten thousand naira with the promise of increased salary with time, after a while the madam make good of her promise the money was increased to fifteen thousand Naira, this was a motivating factor for me, had to improve my working ability, soon I was promoted to a manager even as the work doubled the salary was increased to twenty thousand naira with this comes greater work, responsibilities and debts, at the time I do not care much about all that, I needed the money, I was not a lazy type, work my ass off everyday including Sundays sometimes, the depot operations depends on my ability to effectively and efficiently carry out my duties, I also happens to occupy a lot of positions, from storekeeper to motor boy, customer representative so on due to shortage of workers, sometimes I almost did all the works, the effect of this is that it becomes a burden as I was not able to carry out proper accounting records and focus in one work at a time, as time goes by I ran into a lot of debts, those debts was paid with my salary every month soon afterwards I decided to quit pressure here and there, my debt profile pushed me out of the Job ultimately, sometimes, when I complained about the working conditions to the madam she promised to hire more workers and increased my salary but as she did not a single worker lasted two months in the Job including my own brother whom through my help got the sales boy job in the depot, his job was to use truck otherwise known as wheelbarrow to supply goods which Coca cola bottles in creates to customers in the marketplaces and at Alaba international market, it was a work that requires heavy man power the poor boy can not handle the pressure of supplies as he was the only one left, soon afterwards he too quit and I can not blame him at his age he should be in school not pushing wheelbarrow here and there, No one can cope with the working conditions and labour efforts required for those kinds of Jobs are those of technology and motor vehicle delivery services at worse. In the space of time I decided to learn trade at Alaba international market where I was taught how to buy Electronics like LCD and LED TV and sell at relatively above cost price, we ( me and my boss) buy import fairly used TV's and Sell. Low capital leads to low investment and I improvised took my market to another level of marketing and advertisment making use of social medias like WhatsApp, Facebook and Twitter to market what I sell to potential customers, this proves to be effective to a considerable extent. Over time I raised finance for countinuity of my Education. I was a good reader even with all I had gone through I still find time to read all kinds of books available, buy some and was given some too, it enabled me stay active educational wise, I hold out hope that one day I can continue my educational studies comes what may. When I come across a program called Interim Joint Matriculation Board Exam (IJMBE) it offers Candidates opportunities to get admission into any University without Writing Jamb and Direct Entry into 200 Level, I was motivated by this decided to apply for the program with all the money I had saved over years amounting to three hundred thousand Naira, the program itself cost a total of two hundred thousand Naira, Yeah it was a risky choice considering my financial capacity but I was determined to succeed after all I was born with nothing and I aspire to become a tool in the society whom can be a voice for the voiceless, a force who can help less previlege Children and youth get basic Education, influence government decision to make better policies, welfare services for communities, building social amenities, health care and infrastructure, also agitate for better enumeration and good working condition for the Labour in the Country, advocate for human capital investment, better resources management in the society etc. I felt one of the way to achieve my dream is to become educated , A license Social worker. With this I intend to study social work in University. A purpose for Writing my story and creating a fundraiser project is to become a professional license Social worker. I hope to be useful in the society and help those who might be in need with my experience in life. Life had taught me a great lesson, I understand that we only have ourselves, my motto is live and let's live. I strongly believe the world can be a better society for all, one which no one will be left behind or lacking in one aspect or the other, this was achieved in most of the Western Countries and it can also be achieved here in Africa, only if we ignore our difference and focus on what unite us all, looking beyond boundaries and borders, creating policies with the better interest of the people in mind, together we are unstoppable, together we are a force to reckon with, together we are unbeatable, we are Africa, we are everywhere. In the spirit of Africa I hope to find those who will believe in me and my dreams to help me raised a sum of Five hundred thousand Naira to countinue my Educational studies. Thank you! Peace unto all.

Share link: https://www.sapiofunds.com/project?name=Social work Study

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story My Life So Far by Stormtrooper11(m): 11:14am On Aug 14, 2021
Wow. You tried bro. You really tried. Damn. I'm serious, you are a really hard working person. I'm really younger, but with what i have passed through, i could relate. Don't give up big bro. The sky is your starting point

1 Like

Re: My Story My Life So Far by Codeye(m): 1:40pm On Aug 14, 2021
Thank you brother, we will get there eventually or die trying... One way or the other let's live the best of lifestyle even with little financial budget it could be difficult though. The best will come

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Real Estate Photography And Videography In Nigeria? / How To Start A Lucrative Egg Supply And Distribution Business In Nigeria / Get A Quick Loan In Less Than 24 Hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.