Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse (642 Views)

IPOB’s Sit-at-Home Order Grounds Owerri / Lai Mohammed: Secessionists Will Be First To Run Away When Problem Starts / FG Groans Under N2.7 Trn, Other Judgment Debts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse by wwwihy: 11:04am On Aug 14, 2021
South-East groans under IPOB sit-at-home, secessionists’ order grounds businesses, schools, others

Tony Okafor and Raphael Ede, capture the effects of the IPOB sit-at-home order in the South-East states

Biafra agitation in the South-East is like a creed. Many endorse it when it is used as a crusade for social justice. But when the philosophy is deployed as an instrument of coercion and violence most people in the area distance themselves from it.

That is the case with the sit-at-home directives often declared by one of the pro-Biafra groups; the Indigenous People of Biafra led by Nnamdi Kanu who is now facing charges bordering on treasonable felony.

Each time such order is declared, it usually witnessed almost total compliance in most Igbo communities. In such times, markets, schools, banks, motor parts, and even worship centres are shut down either out of fear of imminent danger or in solidarity to the cause.

The sit-at-home directive declared by the IPOB on August 9 to prevail on the Federal Government to release Nnamdi Kanu who is currently in detention after he was rearrested after jumping bail in 2017 had total compliance in the South-East apparently because of threat of heavy consequences on violators by IPOB.

The IPOB Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, had said in a statement before the protest, “We declare every Monday sit- at- home throughout Biafra land until our leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, regains freedom.

The statement read in part, “We urge Biafrans to be prepared because we will no longer fold our arms while our leader who is fighting for the liberation of the oppressed indigenous nationalities in Nigeria is languishing in detention. We are going to cripple Nigerian economy until they free him.

“Consequently, all institutions public and private, transport companies, schools, banks, markets, airports and sea ports in Biafra land must shut down every Monday beginning from August 9. People are to remain indoors to register their concern over the fate of our leader and the rest of all agitators languishing in various security detentions.’’

On the morning of that day, people believed to be members of the IPOB’s Eastern Security Network were seen on some streets trying to enforce the sit-at-home order. At Nnewi, Anambra State, some ESN had a confrontation with soldiers which led to the death of two enforcers of the order. By afternoon of same day, the Nnewi Police Area Command was attacked in what was suspected to be a reprisal to avenge the death of the two ESN members. Similar incident happened at Awkuzu in the Oyi Local Government Area of the state same day where ESN operatives allegedly attacked naval officers on duty and killed two of them.

But the Navy later debunked the killing of its officers, stating that it was rather the Navy that killed six IPOB members in a gun battle during the Monday sit-at-home.

The Commanding Officer, Naval Outpost, Onitsha, Anambra State, Adekunle Okeniyi, said the IPOB members were killed while trying to attack the officials.

He said, “The attention of the Naval Outpost, Onitsha has been drawn to some false publications that on August 9, 2021, two naval personnel were killed at Awkuzu during a gun duel with suspected Indigenous People of Biafra members in Anambra State. The Naval Outpost Onitsha refutes this fake news and wishes to state categorically that none of its personnel suffered any casualty during the gun duel. Rather, the troops fought gallantly and were able to repel the attack which resulted in the loss of six suspected IPOB members while others suffered a serious injury.”

In Obosi, in the Idemili North Local Government Area of the state suspected ESN operatives were seen harassing those who opened their shops for business.

A food vendor who gave her name as Cecilia Ozomma, said, “They came to my shop and at about 7am, slapped me several times and poured away my stew that was on fire and left to other shops to continue the enforcement of the sit-at-home order. I didn’t do any business again that day because I couldn’t sell the rice and beans I had already cooked because they poured away the stew. I lost over N50, 000 that day because of the destruction of my wares.’’

A provision shop owner at Abakaliki Street in Awka, the state capital, Francis Onyema, had similar experience.

He said, “Seven able-bodied men rushed into my shop that morning around 8am and asked me to lock it up or face the consequences. I didn’t resist. I had to obey them so to save my life. We are all Biafra people in mind and spirit but I don’t like this sit-at-home thing. How can you order people not to do business to feed their families? This is unacceptable and condemnable. Our leaders should do something about it to stop this mess. This is not the purpose of the Biafra agitation.’’

A lecturer at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Dr Henry Duru, also narrated his experience that day. He said, “The sit-at-home order affected the university where I work. Between Sunday evening and early Monday morning, I received phone calls from a number of my students asking whether classes would hold or not. I simply told them that the school authorities did not declare any lecture-free day.

“When I got to school on Monday, however, I discovered that the campus was almost a ghost town. At my department, I saw some students waiting for a lecture but the lecturer who was to come from Onitsha eventually called to tell them that she couldn’t make it due to the sit-at-home order which affected movement in and around the town.

“Hence, the students left. However, I later held my own class with the final year students. Only about half of the class was present. But I guess I would have met an empty hall if I had not sternly warned that I would hold my class, whether there was a sit-at-home order or not.’’

Commenting on the development, Michael Udah, Director Media and Communication of South-East Governors’ Forum Secretariat and a former Chief Press Secretary to ex-Governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi, described the Biafra agitation as an accumulated anger of marginalisation of the Igbo.

He said that the sit-at-home order by IPOB observed on Monday, August 9, 2021, was not an isolated case.

https://punchng.com/south-east-groans-under-ipob-sit-at-home-secessionists-order-grounds-businesses-schools-others/
Re: South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse by Asgard73: 11:13am On Aug 14, 2021
Government propaganda...always come
Days after initial actions.

This 5 days after action.

Gibberish

2 Likes

Re: South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse by Faiththatworks(m): 11:54am On Aug 14, 2021
I don't understand why Nigeria is stalling igbos from having their leferendum as wanted by ipob and biafla.
I totally support the Northern Elders who went to court asking it to grant Biafra thier wishes.
All igbos in Nigeria,even as young as 5 years should all be transported free of charge to the 5 eastern states and given 2 months to conduct a referendum,I think until this biafla rubbish is defeated or accepted through the casting of ballots,this scammers will continue to cash out

1 Like

Re: South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse by kollinz1234(m): 11:57am On Aug 14, 2021
There should be a plan that leads to an achievement not just declaration upon declaration that will eventually start affecting the people that are being fought for.

I love Nnamdi Kanu but the Biafran cause is bigger than him.

I don't think the sit at home will blackmail the government into releasing Kanu but i know that with proper planning, and unism Biafra will be achieved.
Re: South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse by colorsofrainbow: 12:08pm On Aug 14, 2021
grin Buhari Fulani Government and propaganda sef

Na today dem decide to cook the lie finish..dem come shift am to punch to service the dish grin
Re: South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse by Maxymilliano(m): 12:18pm On Aug 14, 2021
They can take it a step further by going on hinger strike till NK regains freedom smiley
Re: South-east Groans Under IPOB Sit-at-home, Secessionists’ Order Grounds Businesse by AntiBMC(m): 12:23pm On Aug 14, 2021
The sit-at-home that has been cancelled or which one? I wonder why everyone is reporting about Ipob, are they Nigeria's pressing problem or is it about the traffic? Nawa.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra :The Major Problem With Ipob(photos) / Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Will Be Freed / Lekki - Lai Mohammed Out Of Nigeria, To Respond Soon, Says Spokesman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.