Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,089 members, 7,852,687 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:17 AM

Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? (25421 Views)

Why Did The Bank Remove Opay, Kuda, And Moniepoint From Their Online Banking? / Different Types Of People You Will Meet At The Atm (meme Collections) / Did The ATM In Computer Village Scam Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by Gerrard59(m): 12:31am On Aug 18, 2021
BarrSly:
So disappointing to read this thread and realized that most people’s definition of “becoming rich” is premised on the basis
of their purchase of a car. I went through this thread hoping to see some testimonies of how things changed when people realized their companies net worth doubled or they had a start up which saw massive support and funding..

A car is just a means of conveyance and not a yardstick for determining riches.. I used to think a car was a way of saying I had arrived till I started to travel the world and mingled with business minded persons..

The Blackman and his ways sha grin

Nigeria is the world's poverty capital just as Sub-Saharan Africa is the world's poverty continent. What you observed shouldn't be surprising.

9 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by darfay: 12:43am On Aug 18, 2021
Buffalo2:
My former employer swore that after leaving his job I will never make it in life and sold same to other members of staff. They all kept away from me but after just some months, God showed HIMSELF in my life. Now they are all calling me on seconds basis for Favour some were even telling me all that transpired after my exit.

What did you do to him that made him place a terrible curse on you? Please stop trying to vilify others.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by neyoohhh: 1:00am On Aug 18, 2021

4 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by Kokaine(m): 1:02am On Aug 18, 2021
GeneralKoko:
Hello Nairalanders!

The attitudes of people towards you tends to change when you become rich , famous or do something incredible. People who don't talk to you become very friendly, everyone suddenly acts like they know you.

Have you ever experienced this??

Most times when we pray for success, we dont remember to pray against the challenges that come with it.

The most notable of these challenges are feeling of entitlement and envy from friends

The feeling of entitlement is what makes people get angry with you when you do not give them their demands. They come to you for their every needs even up to house rents. And they never understand when you say you dont have. They pick offenses and hold you in contempt. You hear statements like " what is 5k or 10k that he can't help with at his level?" What they won't see is the number of people you have given 5k, 20k that month. And if you have one million naira, how much of it can you share and not forget to take care of your own self and loved ones? And if you look back at the times you were sleeping in uncompleted building, wiring houses, or climbing hot roofs to install solar panel, you will rememeber that you never even had the guts to ask them for 2k. And when you had police issues with powerful people in that smelling lekki, they didn't even come from iyana paja to bail you. You stayed in that smelling ajah cell for two whole days like someone who didn't have anyone. Even the police women who initially told you not to enter cell with your phone, now allowed you your phone so you can keep scrolling through your friends list thinking of who to call. You shed tears. But you see, we don't live in the past. But at least let them have the decency not to tell you their infinix phone is bad and they want to change it. That should not be your business. It wasn't their business when you had bread but no beans. And the native doctor on your street is who called you and offered you garri. Don't forget that guy though. Pray for Allah to guide him to the right path. Some people just have good hearts. How did he know you were very hungry though. Maybe its the way you were walking and frowning grin grin he knew this one is not Lagos sun. This one is hunger grin grin grin And don't forget that mama you were always owing money for indomie. And she still brought semo to your doorstep on very hungry days. May Allah reward her abundantly. She couldn't speak English and you couldn't speak Yoruba. Yet God used her to quench hunger that was already making you unable to feel your feet on the floor like you were flying. InshaAllah when next you're in Lagos, make sure you visit her.

Envy is something you get surprised with. Its so complex that even the people who have always gorged you on and encouraged you on your chosen path, suddenly get sad when you actually win. They show you everyday how they want to see you win, but suddenly get sad when you actually win. It confuses you, it makes you loose friends and make your heart sink. It makes you value your new circumstances less. Some will actually come to you to say things like this. " kokaine, I'm sorry oh... This is a personal question i want to ask you, how much are you worth, like... Net worth. Account, properties and crypto? What's your net worth "?

A question like that coning from a friend is quite confusing. But you find it safer to downplay everything. To prove to them that you're still human and you still cry over other losses they may not be aware of. Even a song by lucky dube says " behind the mask of a clown lies a trail of tears." They may be seeing what you have physically, but not know what morbid pain you experience from a failed relationship for instance. Or knowing that you can never really tell if your partner loves you. There may be one thing or the other you are striving for. All they see is what you have and use you as a standard for measuring happiness. Some can't wait to see you cry just to console themselves that the rich also cry. Trust me, you will always realise you need recourse to the peace of been unknown than the new elevation to fake loves and fake fame. Plastic relationships that will fade away again if everything went away. If not tell me, when you were wearing that your red and black shirt that you bought in egbeda night market everyday, why were you not the love of anybody's life? Or was it that your shoe that use to make clients offer to buy materials by them selves because they're afraid to hive you money so you dont run away? Is it that jungle boot you would have used to toast somebody's daughter? Won't you respect yourself and be running to rant HQ on Facebook to blast women for liking rich men? You self you no like be rich? Is it their fault?

Some praise you endlessly when they dont mean it.

Its quite a wild and wooly world out there. My advice is: if you suddenly advance in your financial circumstances, learn to hide. Learn to maintain a lowkey. Learn not to show off or tell people who shouldn't know. So it doesn't become a challenge to them and make them ungrateful to God for what they have. The evil eye is real. Pray and go lowkey. You will enjoy it more unknown than when you become popular

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by ikorodureporta: 1:35am On Aug 18, 2021
I have no problem when people attach to the rich. I only have issues with those disrespecting the poor for no reason

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by Getrich47(m): 1:40am On Aug 18, 2021
arthurwillia:

Abeg rest, if you want to help help
If not rest
What is there’s nothing honorable in begging? Abeggi zazamulah beg if you can or need something and you know the person you are begging has what you want.

Do you think he is happy begging? Or you think he’s not hustling?
I’m currently looking for a job and I’ve been to many politicians office to beg for their assistance and hopefully soon I will get it.

Please no need to broke shame if you can’t help rest

Okay, sorry sir... take it as a food for thought or whatever. #peaceout

1 Like

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by Nobody: 1:42am On Aug 18, 2021
The thread is for rich people, not those who are comfortable. How do you guys pass exam?

PotatoSalad:
I'm not rich but comfortable. Has anything changed? Absolutely not. I live a secluded lifestyle and unless you're one of the few ones very close to me, you won't know a thing. I think it's better that way so as to keep the bad eggs at arm's length. Just like a mystery man to people. Difficult to read.

1 Like

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 18, 2021
BarrSly:
So disappointing to read this thread and realized that most people’s definition of “becoming rich” is premised on the basis
of their purchase of a car. I went through this thread hoping to see some testimonies of how things changed when people realized their companies net worth doubled or they had a start up which saw massive support and funding..

A car is just a means of conveyance and not a yardstick for determining riches.. I used to think a car was a way of saying I had arrived till I started to travel the world and mingled with business minded persons..

Our definition of rich always differs. Believing that such a state is objective makes you dumb.

6 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by papae1(m): 2:55am On Aug 18, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Sure...nobody wants to associate with failure

Success got siblings, relatives and friends

But you see that niggar called failure...he ain't got nobody
I pity that niggar ooo choi

1 Like

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by benqo01(m): 3:14am On Aug 18, 2021
Money is Sweet......

1 Like

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by DesignMaestro(m): 3:15am On Aug 18, 2021
Most of the compliments, respect, honour and attachment are insincere. You just need to be careful because you now have far more enemies than when you were broke and the worst thing is that most of these enemies now disguise as 'friends'.

The way most Nigerians especially the women attach themselves so much to every little material success irritates me a lot. Why looking down on people because they look poor to you? People will easily snub you even if you are very rich but they didn't know you and you aren't looking flamboyant.

As a broke guy, you'll face a lot of humiliations. Relatives will snub you, friends that have become well off will distance themselves from you. In some cases, even parents will show more respect to your younger siblings that are doing well financially than you.

But, the irony is this, you are going to have true friends and open enemies as a poor man. Meanwhile, you make more fake friends and masked enemies when your fortune improves.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by Habib101: 4:05am On Aug 18, 2021
Dats usual for people may be natural, d only thing for one is to differentiate d true ones from d fake ones
Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 4:06am On Aug 18, 2021
GeneralKoko:
Hello Nairalanders!

The attitudes of people towards you tends to change when you become rich , famous or do something incredible. People who don't talk to you become very friendly, everyone suddenly acts like they know you.

Have you ever experienced this??

I want to answer as someone who has a popular friend doing instagram skits. We went to the same school for undergraduate studies and were very close during our undergraduates. We went to church together, we ate together and so on. The thing is that she graduated before me because she did a 4 year course while mine was 5 years. We kept in touch occasionally after graduation until we didn’t keep in touch anymore. Basically, everyone became busy with their lives.

All of a sudden, I saw she played some roles with Mr Macaroni and then with other comedians and after, she opened her own YouTube channel. Now, she is doing well for herself but that doesn’t mean I’ll come and form familiarity. We were close before but we are not close anymore. Though I support her by subscribing to her Youtube, watching her videos and all but I have never bothered to message her on WhatsApp even though I have her number.

Another instance will be another of my undergraduate friend who married a popular pastor’s son and she became popular too. Guess what, I have her number but I have never bothered to message her too.

Bottom line is, my attitude towards people doesn’t really change irrespective of them being super popular , super rich or not. Those things don’t move me one bit. I guess my pride won’t allow me form familiarity with people irrespective of their social status. Also, when I consider that I’m not doing bad myself, I see no reason why to want to form familiarity. Except if you are Phyno maybe I can be moved because I like Phyno a lot. But if you are not Phyno, my dear go and sit down.

13 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by mecussey(m): 4:23am On Aug 18, 2021
BarrSly:

Black man still dey far...some people dey think say I no dey happy for them when they buy car. As everybody dey hail them, I go just say congrats bro..go my way. I no no why we value car too much. it's just like every other gadget that helps human life and anyone can get it. It does not mean you are rich

4 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by NoToPile: 4:46am On Aug 18, 2021
Rich ke? That's even going to far. Drive one small car you will see peeps calling you sir/Ma.

An average Nigerian seems to be a hypocrite, you cannot seem to be respected until they feel you are rich, lots can't seem to respect you until they feel/know you have small money. Its so bad that its even more rampant in the church.

Fake people who won't accord you respect when they think they are better than you, until they have a little peep at your real person they will now start doing eye service- Na lie ooo .

There's this annoying culture of your worth or perceived worth is the basis with which you will be addressed. Even among Christians, when they now realized you seem to have small change , they will be like arrh but you are very humble oo but they will still be envious and jealous.

I just pity those who flaunt their success.

We have a terrible mindset in this country , glorification of money. Taaa!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by NoToPile: 4:48am On Aug 18, 2021
kudinkarfe:
You will have more enemies also. Many will hate you when you become successful especially your friends and some relatives. They will be like you don't deserve it they hustle more than you. Some will be praying that your source of income should block. They might sometimes show their bitterness even in your presence but will claim they are only jocking.

God bless you oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by NoToPile: 4:49am On Aug 18, 2021
AdaAwka1:
I bought a car and everyone in my area started to hail me like one big personality, its so embarrassing. Some of my church members now look at me with heightened respect.

You see that church own ehn,the greatest hypocrites are in the church, very terrible something even in the house of God.

2 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by NoToPile: 4:54am On Aug 18, 2021
Kokaine:

Most times when we pray for success, we dont remember to pray against the challenges that come with it.

The most notable of these challenges are feeling of entitlement and envy from friends

The feeling of entitlement is what makes people get angry with you when you do not give them their demands. They come to you for their every needs even up to house rents. And they never understand when you say you dont have. They pick offenses and hold you in contempt.

Envy is something you get surprised with. Its so complex that even the people who have always gorged you on and encouraged you on your chosen path, suddenly get sad when you actually win. They show you everyday how they want to see you win, but suddenly get sad when you actually win. It confuses you, it makes you loose friends and make your heart sink. It makes you value your new circumstances less. Some will actually come to you to say things like this. " kokaine, I'm sorry oh... This is a personal question i want to ask you, how much are you worth, like... Net worth. Account, properties and crypto? What's your net worth "?

A question like that coning from a friend is quite confusing. But you find it safer to downplay everything. To prove to them that you're still human and you still cry over other losses they may not be aware of. Even a song by lucky dube says " behind the mask of a clown lies a trail of tears." They may be seeing what you have physically, but not know what morbid pain you experience from a failed relationship for instance. Or knowing that you can never really tell if your partner loves you. There may be one thing or the other you are striving for. All they see is what you have and use you as a standard for measuring happiness. Some can't wait to see you cry just to console themselves that the rich also cry.

Its quite a wild and wooly world out there. My advice is: if you suddenly advance in your financial circumstances, learn to hide. Learn to maintain a lowkey. Learn not to show off or tell people who shouldn't know. So it doesn't become a challenge to them and make them ungrateful to God for what they have. The evil eye is real. Pray and go lowkey. You will enjoy it more unknown than when you become popula r

Solid points.

3 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by tobeymichael16(m): 5:32am On Aug 18, 2021
Well written
Kokaine:

The feeling of entitlement is what makes people get angry with you when you do not give them their demands. They come to you for their every needs even up to house rents. And they never understand when you say you dont have. They pick offenses and hold you in contempt.

A question like that coning from a friend is quite confusing. But you find it safer to downplay everything. To prove to them that you're still human and you still cry over other losses they may not be aware of. Even a song by lucky dube says " behind the mask of a clown lies a trail of tears." They may be seeing what you have physically, but not know what morbid pain you experience from a failed relationship for instance. Or knowing that you can never really tell if your partner loves you. There may be one thing or the other you are striving for. All they see is what you have and use you as a standard for measuring happiness. Some can't wait to see you cry just to console themselves that the rich also cry.

Its quite a wild and wooly world out there. My advice is: if you suddenly advance in your financial circumstances, learn to hide. Learn to maintain a lowkey. Learn not to show off or tell people who shouldn't know. So it doesn't become a challenge to them and make them ungrateful to God for what they have. The evil eye is real. Pray and go lowkey. You will enjoy it more unknown than when you become popular

2 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by PotatoSalad(m): 5:54am On Aug 18, 2021
HenryDion:

The thread is for rich people, not those who are comfortable. How do you guys pass exam?

Keep quiet. Cos you have tens of millions of Naira, you think you're rich? Oga you're comfortable, not rich.
My guy if you don't have at least equivalent of a couple of millions of dollars in the bank or in assets, you're not anywhere near rich.
That 30 million naira you have in the bank won't even buy a low tier bungalow in NYC. Can you look at an online Lamborghini dealership now and order one Urus with the full options? Abi you get a call from your manager about a 100m naira mansion listing in lekki now and pay immediately without seeing the house? If your wife likes a $50k diamond necklace, can you buy it for her?
Your millions of Naira is average yearly income in another country. Convert your net worth to dollars first. Dey well.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by ArticleBeast: 6:00am On Aug 18, 2021
reddingtonblack:

Bro you mean you bought a 2020 toyota highlander n you're still living in a house corpers could afford to be your neibor .... like seriously
Some people lie without restrain. Does he know how much a 2020 highlander cost?

3 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by ArticleBeast: 6:06am On Aug 18, 2021
MeghaneMorgane:

I want to answer as someone who has a popular friend doing instagram skits. We went to the same school for undergraduate studies and were very close during our undergraduates. We went to church together, we ate together and so on. The thing is that she graduated before me because she did a 4 year course while mine was 5 years. We kept in touch occasionally after graduation until we didn’t keep in touch anymore. Basically, everyone became busy with their lives.

All of a sudden, I saw she played some roles with Mr Macaroni and then with other comedians and after, she opened her own YouTube channel. Now, she is doing well for herself but that doesn’t mean I’ll come and form familiarity. We were close before but we are not close anymore. Though I support her by subscribing to her Youtube, watching her videos and all but I have never bothered to message her on WhatsApp even though I have her number.

Another instance will be another of my undergraduate friend who married a popular pastor’s son and she became popular too. Guess what, I have her number but I have never bothered to message her too.

Bottom line is, my attitude towards people doesn’t really change irrespective of them being super popular , super rich or not. Those things don’t move me one bit. I guess my pride won’t allow me form familiarity with people irrespective of their social status. Also, when I consider that I’m not doing bad myself, I see no reason why to want to form familiarity. Except if you are Phyno maybe I can be moved because I like Phyno a lot. But if you are not Phyno, my dear go and sit down.
Your attitude changed one way or the other. Deep down you know it. Yeah you may be someone that has self respect and doesn’t want them to look down on you.

9 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by oshorstan(f): 6:15am On Aug 18, 2021
Your real guys are those who respected u when you were a broke ass nigga. I pray for Grace so I don't get to misbehave when I blow, because if God can do it for Don Risky, he can also do it for me.

Indeed poverty doesn't have friends, you're on your own.

6 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by Multiplier7(m): 6:35am On Aug 18, 2021
MeghaneMorgane:

I guess it's because you didn't know Phyno from scratch and you didn't school with him that's why you're moved by him and not moved by your friends that made it.

You really contradicted yourself by that last statement.

One thing I have I come to notice is that friends don't support friends. There's always a vacuum when a friend succeeds and the other doesn't.

13 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 6:44am On Aug 18, 2021
Ponytail22:
I'm not yet rich. I'd revisit this thread when I'm rich.
Co-signed
Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 6:47am On Aug 18, 2021
Multiplier7:

I guess it's because you didn't know Phyno from scratch and you didn't school with him that's why you're moved by him and not moved by your friends that made it.

You really contradicted yourself by that last statement.

One thing I have I come to notice is that friends don't support friends. There's always a vacuum when a friend succeeds and the other doesn't.

I like pyhno’s songs. And I don’t know Phyno personally but if I knew phyno personally, I would have definitely sent him a message because I love his music.

For your comment which I bolded. You definitely missed the part where I said I subscribed to her youtube channel and I watch her YouTube videos and I always like all her videos. Mr I’m supporting her. I don’t know which other support you want me to give her. For the one that married a pastor’s son, there isn’t anyway I can support her at the moment because I don’t know what she does.
I’m happy for them. But I won’t form familiarity because we aren’t that close anymore.

11 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 6:52am On Aug 18, 2021
ArticleBeast:

Your attitude changed one way or the other. Deep down you know it. Yeah you may be someone that has self respect and doesn’t want them to look down on you.

Well, my attitude didn’t change. We hadn’t spoken to each other in a long while before they became popular. Everyone was busy with their lives. You don’t expect me to now send a message just because I see they are now popular. I won’t do that.

8 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by reddingtonblack: 7:28am On Aug 18, 2021
neyoohhh:
I'm worth over a million dollars and I'm still scared of my future. I don't give a shit about money other than actually making it. I don't believe in oppression, my ultimate goal is to see Nigerian's get out of poverty.

If I do get really rich, my ultimate goal is to empower Nigerian's. I love you guys so much and I want you to succeed.

It's crazy and I know most won't believe.

Bro wake up its mornings, i just pray make traffic plenty today for better sales.

2 Likes

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by reddingtonblack: 7:44am On Aug 18, 2021
Kokaine:

Cool story, buh i will leave you with 9ice song, ... lil money soon expended ti o ba lowo je kii awon padi e jembé.

i won't judge you anyways

1 Like

Re: Did The Attitude Of People Towards You Change When You Became Rich? by skywalker240(m): 7:45am On Aug 18, 2021
OfeAchi:
Of course it did change.
I remember last year when I had no car and was constantly trekking from Gbagada to Alausa. Nobody send me. Nobody greets me. I have two female youth corpers living in same compound with me but they treat me like a leper. cry
However, as the universe favoured me and I made millions of money from crypto coins, I bought a brand new 2020 Highlander. If you see they way people worship me now sad shocked
Can you believe these corper girls now compete on who would cook soups and stews for me ?? It's very funny. cheesy
To cut long story short, I have been able to diick these girls on several occasions...
Now my pastor wife is in the habit checking up on me regularly... (This was after I made a generous donation to their ministry)
This your story funny me, especially the cooking competition part grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! / Everything You Need To Know About Value Added Tax (VAT) / BREAKING: Nigeria Officially Exits Recession, GDP Grew 0.55 In Q2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.