Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,988 members, 7,825,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? (8422 Views)

World's Slimmest HP Laptop Now On Sale In Nigeria / Latest 2015 Unlimited Free Browsing On Laptop Now Here (download Unlimited) / How To Use The Sim Card Slot On My Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 19, 2007
Originally: First Aid Treament For Laptop?

I just got this new laptop about a forthnight ago and my since my sis spilled hot coffee on it this afternoon, the speakers stopped working. Can anybody tell me something to do to it in the mean time because I need to practice urgently for my exams. The first thing I could think about was computer forum on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by zebudaya(m): 5:55pm On Jul 19, 2007
use earphones! if not and the computer is still under warranty return it

1 Like

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by spora(m): 6:43pm On Jul 19, 2007
Pls goggle "coffee on laptop"
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by ToToChoper: 6:43pm On Jul 19, 2007
dat one don gbaje.
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by jmichael90: 6:57pm On Jul 19, 2007
take it to technician who can open the laptop because there is need to check the speaker chips. or if you can package it back to the seller under your warranty status they may change it for u.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by smile007: 7:31pm On Jul 19, 2007
well all laptop has one year guaranty so u can kindly return it to the seller n they fix or change it for u grin
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by simplyme3(f): 7:34pm On Jul 19, 2007
what a dumb question - return it and get a new one.
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by etauso(m): 7:37pm On Jul 19, 2007
Have u checked for professional help on the internet, or perhaps your user manual under Trouble Shooting Section.

1 Like

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by seun001(m): 7:54pm On Jul 19, 2007
for pouring liquid on the laptop,ur warranty is void.but u can still check if the manufacturers can do something abt it.
secondly u shouldnt have switched it on when the liquid spilled on it.even if u tried to dry it,or u feel it has dried,putting it on may have been the cause of the damage.again mayb its still damp and may start to function well when it start heating up from use.anyways take it to a technician to open it up to confirm if its entirely dry.

1 Like

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by anusule(m): 8:03pm On Jul 19, 2007
try n open it yourself, i do that most times. easy innit?
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by DrFerlie(m): 8:21pm On Jul 19, 2007
go and buy anoda one cheesy cheesy
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by mamaput(f): 9:22pm On Jul 19, 2007
you made a mistake by putting it on.
If you had waited for it to dry you may have saved your laptop,

2 Likes

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by kaypinchi(m): 9:34pm On Jul 19, 2007
Sorry oooooooooo, Warranty does not cover coffee spills
but try these:
Do not plug the laptop yet,

1. Use cotton buds to wipe any excess liquid from the keyboard area.
2. Place laptop upside down (but with protection for the screen) and store in a dry, warm  airy place .e.g behind d TV.
3. Fan-dry it.

Now plug it.
It should work now.  lipsrsealed, undecided
If it doesn't , buy a new laptop. grin
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by mamaput(f): 9:35pm On Jul 19, 2007
I think its too late for that. he already put it on
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by spicie: 9:47pm On Jul 19, 2007
buy ECSP electrolube- electronic cleaning solvent and spray it on the laptop allow it to dry then on the computer and see if it works, its very good.
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by PHEESAYOUR(m): 10:01pm On Jul 19, 2007
Ok, the speaker isn't working?? Is it only the speaker, the laptop still works well?

1 Like

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by hollys(f): 10:18pm On Jul 19, 2007
[color=#770077][/color] How did she get close to the laptop with hot coffee,well let it be a lesson to everybody.Meanwhile now u can shop around for a new laptop better than the hot coffee u have presently. sad wink
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 19, 2007
Thanks guys, but you see, the thing is the laptop was running when it happened. I was playing music and then all I cld hear was bubbles and bubbles. Of course I turned it off immediately and placed it upside down and then I posted this thread but then I turned it on again when the replies where not coming in, I turned it on again and that was when I realised the speakers weren't working.

1 Like

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by minto(m): 11:29pm On Jul 19, 2007
I had a similar experience sometimes last month. I left mine working on the table closed to the window and dashed to the mall, it rained before I came back and got soaked. Lots of messages I didnt know about came up on the screen, but I just switched off, blew it with compressed gas and turn it upside down on the couch for 2 days before starting it up again. Now the keyboard functions sometimes it doesnt so I just hook up a keyboard and a mouse and its working good again. I'm surprised it did.

@ poster
try blow it with compresssed gas duster, make sure it's dry and watch it again. If the situation  remains the same, contact the dealer.

2 Likes

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by babadee(m): 1:31am On Jul 20, 2007
e don pkafuka, e don quench!!!
make your sis buy you another, she dey sleep wey she go spill coffee?
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by MP007(m): 6:03am On Jul 20, 2007
the guy dey serious o, u people una yeye don toio much

anyways, ma guy , cofee for laptop, what was yall thinkin? You got to take to computer engineers to take a look at it before doin anything stupid,
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by seun001(m): 7:02am On Jul 20, 2007
FlyLyde:

Thanks guys, but you see, the thing is the laptop was running when it happened. I was playing music and then all I cld hear was bubbles and bubbles. Of course I turned it off immediately and placed it upside down and then I posted this thread but then I turned it on again when the replies where not coming in, I turned it on again and that was when I realised the speakers weren't working.

guess what,since its not yet dry,how abt boiling water in a big pot then when its boiling,just dump the laptop straight into into the water,then boil until dry.lol shocked cheesy

the most important thing is to confirm that its properly dry.b4 something else happens to it,which am sure will do if its not dry.
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by Mandora(f): 8:16am On Jul 20, 2007
U knw, I huried 2 read dis thread thinking may be it was ur girlfriend or wife dat spilled hot coffee. I was just going 2 soak up d drama of u having 2 say u were done with her I mean how cld she b so dumb 2 spill hot coffee on ur laptop? But it is so shockingly anti-climatic 4 me 2 hear dat it was ur sister. She pretty well can't break up with her
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by hayprof(m): 9:24am On Jul 20, 2007
What Brand Is It? undecided
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by hotangel2(f): 9:32am On Jul 20, 2007
Actually, mine wasn't hot coffee. It was Powerade.

I was on the bed, drinking powerade, when bam, the bottle thing spilled in a way that i don't even know how to explain, and whossssssshhhhhh, Red liquid on my laptop. Panic came in and i was like, it's not even 3 months yet!!!!!

What did I do? Well, I couldn't do much since the laptop made a "swoooosh" noise and turned off by itself.

I waited, looked at it, and started wiping at it with towel, and trying to pour watever is left inside it out. I wasnt patient enough, so i turned it on after 10 minutes.

As i turned it on, A screen message came on and said My computer was turned off because the power outtage was heated or some english like that.
Click something something to move on.

So i clicked, and my screen was all "bah lah bah lah , like colored T.V gone wrong"!. I started praying, lol. Serious prayers oo. My dad just got it for me, and it's only being 3 weeks. Like everyone said, warranty doesn't cover "liquid pouring on laptop".

The screen kept on shaking, and i turned it off. Then immediately turned it on again. Screen was still the same. Nothing made sense. I turned it off, and started shaking the laptop for watever is left of the powerade to come out.
ANyways, i turned it back on, and left it like that.

In about 20 minutes, it became normal. I guess the heat from it's being turned on, kind of dried up all the left over stuff. And up till date, the laptop is fine.

uhmmm, come to think of it, my mouse pad recently stopped working, but wait, thats because i now have 23% memory space left on my laptop, ohh wait, my laptop is actually not working fine, because the wireless mouse i bought is also not working. And not to forget, everything moves in slow motion now.
Which explains why I'm on my desktop.
[b]
Bottom line: [/b]I Talk too much, and I think that powerade caused all the problems my laptop is having now. SO even if it looks as if everything is working well after the incident, it doesn't mean NOTHING is wrong with the laptop.

Take it to a professional or something. Better yet, take heart and buy a new one. Sell that one to those repair people.

1 Like

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by atilla(m): 9:34am On Jul 20, 2007
@mandora. You like drama abi??

@topic. I was going to say you should turn it off then upside down and wait for it to dry. I would say that now if you need to use the sound when u are reading , try and get earphones these can be bought easily and see if it works. If the earphones dont work as well. I would advice you take it to a technician and not open it yourself.       Maybe you should try the ESPC someone advised and see if that works sha.

@hot angel. its good u know u talk too much. lol.

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by hotangel2(f): 9:37am On Jul 20, 2007
Atilla, There are somethings "we" as human beings, Just know. cheesy
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by Aproko(f): 11:17am On Jul 20, 2007
Mandora:

You knw, I huried 2 read this thread thinking may be it was your girlfriend or wife that spilled hot coffee. I was just going 2 soak up d drama of u having 2 say u were done with her I mean how cld she b so dumb 2 spill hot coffee on your laptop? But it is so shockingly anti-climatic 4 me 2 hear that it was your sister. She pretty well can't break up with her

me too!! i guess my aproko is too much(lol)
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by hayprof(m): 11:52am On Jul 20, 2007
Atilla, There are somethings "we" as human beings, Just know. Cheesy

grin I gat that lipsrsealed
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by jaymobb(m): 1:46pm On Jul 20, 2007
only coffee shit  angry angry anyway forget am dat one don go grin
anyway its not late yet u can do the smart thing and return it quickly.
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 20, 2007
Thing is I didnt buy it in Nigeria and now I'm in Lagos.
Re: She Spilled Hot Coffee On My Laptop: Now What? by mrofficial(m): 10:09pm On Jul 20, 2007
FlyLyde:

Thing is I didnt buy it in Nigeria and now I'm in Lagos.
Come lets exchange. Am using Dell Latitude|D600. Hope say no be pentium 2 na him your sister spill coffee ontop, if so, she dey right be that. LOL

(1) (2) (Reply)

Restricting Non Domain Computers From Obtaining Ip Addresses: Help / Get Free Indian Web Proxy Hacked Paid Servers / Install Windows On Your Apple Mac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.