Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? (18588 Views)

4 Dope Comeback Songs By Nigerian Artistes / The Nigerian Music Industry Is Heavily Funded By Yahoo Boys- Iamsynord / 9 Nigerian Music Influenced Slangs And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Ayo2004: 2:12pm On Aug 19, 2021
A305:
It's very easy to understand:

The law of economics states: When supply exceed demand then, the commodity will lose value quickly except you create a monopoly in the market which of course capitalism doesn't support.

An upcoming artist can make it big and break into limelight with just one hit song , however, its hard to remain relevant for long due to the new releases (by older and newer artists) as well as the fierce competition. This includes producers.

The stardard of music deteriorates and good music will be hard to come by due to the irrationality of the market: For instance, Almost 80% songs released is about women, money and popping bottles. And the few that goes against the grain rarely make it big.

Prior to this harsh reality im the music industry, some smart artist come up with an idea to stay relevant in the industry, this is what they do.

They set up a record label, sign promising upcoming acts, collab with them, finance their project and when that up coming act seems to outshine them, what they do is frustrate their progress by reducing funding therby slowing the pace at which they release songs/albums. The upcoming act gets annoyed and abandons the contracts. This is mostly why most artists leave their record label.

Olamide remains relevant with this technique, although he still releases good musics but what he mostly do is prey on upcoming acts by featuring them, steal their moment and leaves. Smart!

Wizkid just began to the same Olamide pattern by doing a hit song with Tem.

Dbanj did it but it didn't work for him, Also Ice prince Zamani.

So, basically, the only way to remain relevant for long is by using Olamide's method. Works for him well because he can sing and rap, which means he can feature on any body song.

U people have come with your radarada opinions
Which hit song Olamide collect for Fireboy hand
Mumu

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Abagworo(m): 2:53pm On Aug 19, 2021
You used Duncan Mighty's photo. I pray he could make another come back with this Burnaboy feature "Nibolowa"

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Aidejay(m): 2:54pm On Aug 19, 2021
Ayo2004:

U people have come with your radarada opinions
Which hit song Olamide collect for Fireboy hand
Mumu
I saw that post and it truly shocked me. So na person sit down reason this thing like that.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Ondoboi12345678: 2:59pm On Aug 19, 2021
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Aidejay(m): 3:04pm On Aug 19, 2021
Because they try to comeback the way they initially blew up.
Making that same sound or that same paced music or trying to make another hit. As someone who's studied the landscape of naija music a bit I can say that it scarcely works.

You don't do that, the best strategy is collabos, change your style, stop trying to make club bangers instead target radio hits, make slower music, never ever jump on trends, engage more on social media, write for other artists if you can, appear in social functions and garner positive publicity, promote other artists and their music, try other things outside music like skit, movies, talk show, anything that can ease you back into public consciousness.

And finally don't think it's a 3 months thing, it will take at least 1-3 years but it's a process gradually you amass heat. And you must keep on releasing the best music you can make don't wait for a hit before you start pushing out your better songs.

No, keep releasing music get a time frame maybe every 2 months. Make music videos I know it's expensive but it musnt be elaborate.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by eburuu: 3:54pm On Aug 19, 2021
menace001:

Av u ever wondered y he has a cult followership.
May be the topic should av bn more specific, *hip hop artists* should av bn used
tank u jare
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Basic123: 4:31pm On Aug 19, 2021
aikyg:
See finish syndrome! When they see you finish, you'll never be the same again. Doesn't matter how good you are. Look at Eeedris and 9ice. They have seen them finish.
Exactly

I fear for 9ice when he packed all his best songs in his first two Albums...

Then I was telling my friends that he supposed to be releasing it bit by bit....Some one like REMA has never released any Album ...9ice now killed himself finally when he decided to be releasing 5 Album per yr in 2011/12.Although he couldn't sustained it,people got bored by his sounds

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Basic123: 4:33pm On Aug 19, 2021
DissTroy:

You think so? Styl Plus - the most talented boy band Nigeria has ever had - broke up to do music solo and none of them has made it back even halfway to the top.

The Pulse (which DJ Switch was a part of) broke up but each still does much and none made it back to our music consciousness.
STYL PLUS undoing is not leaving ABUJA for LAGOS

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 19, 2021
Romanoff:

That's why only few remain relevant. Songs like African queen, Not the girl, Pray for me, Holler at your boy etc are ever green songs. Even songs by Lagbaja and Sunny Ade are evergreen classics.

Did you know Holler at your boy was stolen from a western artiste?

Dude took the hook and bridge (1st verse)...then ran with it

Its on youtube
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by RealityKings: 4:48pm On Aug 19, 2021
Every music style has a time stamp ATTACHED to it. Once your time don pass, just sign an artist

1 Like

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by RealityKings: 4:49pm On Aug 19, 2021
Basic123:

They went separate ways ?
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Bngf: 5:05pm On Aug 19, 2021
Everything in nigeria is different

1 Like

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by DARLINGTON869(m): 5:14pm On Aug 19, 2021
Wande coal came back super strong ooo.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Basic123: 5:17pm On Aug 19, 2021
RealityKings:

They went separate ways ?
Tunde(my favourite though) went solo

The remaining duo zeal and shift released a single Aso Ibora few years ago

1 Like

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by phemmyfour: 5:43pm On Aug 19, 2021
The industry lack structure....you can't be King forever
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by DissTroy(m): 5:50pm On Aug 19, 2021
Basic123:

True. That ruined Styl Plus - leaving Lagos for Abuja. But Tunde left the group soon after.

It's annoying that the best boyband Nigeria has every had don't even have a YouTube page for their discography and collection of events. Millions of views scattered all over the place and the group don't have their works curated anywhere online.

Website, social media pages and the likes. I bet they'd get a lot of traction on Spotify even today. Deezal too. But no management.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Vinnie2000(m): 6:15pm On Aug 19, 2021
Romanoff:
Because preference changes with demographics and time. The demographics you made music for in the past have moved on, so you are faced with a younger demographic than you are use to and their preference is different from what you use to dish out both in lyrics and beats.

Sister!! I respect you!
You Just said Everything here!!

Dier music is not compatible with the present generation!!

E.g No matter what Tuface sings, our Youngees of today will not Feel the Song!
But any average Omah Lay or FireBoy song, dey call it a Banger! sad smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Synord(m): 6:16pm On Aug 19, 2021
Aidejay:
Because they try to comeback the way they initially blew up.
Making that same sound or that same paced music or trying to make another hit. As someone who's studied the landscape of naija music a bit I can say that it scarcely works.

You don't do that, the best strategy is collabos, change your style, stop trying to make club bangers instead target radio hits, make slower music, never ever jump on trends, engage more on social media, write for other artists if you can, appear in social functions and garner positive publicity, promote other artists and their music, try other things outside music like skit, movies, talk show, anything that can ease you back into public consciousness.

And finally don't think it's a 3 months thing, it will take at least 1-3 years but it's a process gradually you amass heat. And you must keep on releasing the best music you can make don't wait for a hit before you start pushing out your better songs.

No, keep releasing music get a time frame maybe every 2 months. Make music videos I know it's expensive but it musnt be elaborate.

This is very apt and true . This is the issue lil kesh has . Very solid advice !!
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Memphitz357: 7:15pm On Aug 19, 2021
Nice write up. The truth about the current music industry all around the globe is the this current generation of artists ain't nothing but a bunch of no talent having muthafuckaz.....with the exception of The Weeknd though
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Basic123: 7:58pm On Aug 19, 2021
DissTroy:

True. That ruined Styl Plus - leaving Lagos for Abuja. But Tunde left the group soon after.

It's annoying that the best boyband Nigeria has every had don't even have a YouTube page for their discography and collection of events. Millions of views scattered all over the place and the group don't have their works curated anywhere online.

Website, social media pages and the likes. I bet they'd get a lot of traction on Spotify even today. Deezal too. But no management.
I am always happy whenever I see someone that appreciates STYL PLUS I am alway happy .They are my best Nigerian singer and composer ever. The way they convert story telling pure English lyrics into melodious tunes is legendary!

The most underrated.
I love whizkid oooo,but when I see his achievements. I REMEMBER GRACE TRULY EXIST

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by vickydevoka(m): 8:28pm On Aug 19, 2021
udoka55555:
If you start getting the money, friends that won't help your life will start coming, telling you that you have arrived, they will be feeding you with lies that your music is still number one in town, and you will believe them, two years on the line they will still be telling you the same shit. Then financial advisers will come and start taking your time to educate you on how to invest your money etc.

Before you know it, you won't have time to relax and create good music again.

The only way forward is to aspire to be the best, win the awards and have hunger for international fame....not just limit yourself to Nigeria fame...dream to be at the top of the world music, work hard to produce good songs and try as much as you can to be having enough rest and quite times alone...

Never allow the fame and money to get into your head.... And don't envy those non music artists that have made it big!!!

Be yourself, see yourself as still upcoming since you are yet to conquer the world.
Exactly. Useless friend will come around
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by DissTroy(m): 8:40pm On Aug 19, 2021
Basic123:
I am always happy whenever I see someone that appreciates STYL PLUS I am alway happy .They are my best Nigerian singer and composer ever. The way they convert story telling pure English lyrics into melodious tunes is legendary!

The most underrated.
I love whizkid oooo,but when I see his achievements. I REMEMBER GRACE TRULY EXIST

You still listen to Styl Plus too? Great. One of the few Nigerian artistes I've continually listened to weekly over the years, and whose songs are truly evergreen.
Bez Idukula and Jeremiah Gyang too.

The only Nigerian artiste who has been making really timeless music in the last 6 years is Johnny Drille.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by Basic123: 9:07pm On Aug 19, 2021
DissTroy:

You still listen to Styl Plus too? Great. One of the few Nigerian artistes I've continually listened to weekly over the years, and whose songs are truly evergreen.
Bez Idukula and Jeremiah Gyang too.

The only Nigerian artiste who has been making really timeless music in the last 6 years is Johnny Drille.
Today alone I have listened to
Olufunmi
Call my name
Home within your heart
Ask ibora
Always on my mind
If you go
Run away
I don't want trouble
Beautiful ladies
Drives me crazy
Candy man

In short,I use their songs to kill boredom at work cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by YoungRay007: 10:52pm On Aug 19, 2021
Nice write up. Honestly, a lot of factors hinders artists from making a solid comeback into the music industry. You have financial issues, fame, new audience, producers, record label, peer pressure, current trend, attitude and behavior, hardwork etc
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by GreatCracker(m): 12:37am On Aug 21, 2021
eburuu:
are you ok we are talking about musican...which one be k1 and pasuma...stop disgraceing ur self bra
I don't do confrontations on here but I just have to let you know how highly ignorant you are.
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by GreatCracker(m): 12:39am On Aug 21, 2021
iamDrRhymes:
Well, things are much complex than how the writer placed it. There is a politics in the Nigerian Music Industry- individuals that sit and decide who gets what.

Efforts can be frustrated by ‘Unknown Hands’. I know what am saying. It’s never about who has the best song or who is working hard.
you're right about the politics, even though I don't know how the music industry politics works but I know for sure that politics is the order of the day in most of our creative industry.
Meanwhile I'll like you to explain better how the music politics works.
Re: Why Is Making A Comeback To The Nigerian Music Industry Difficult ? by suffering: 4:16pm On Sep 30, 2021
Laziness is the major reason. Anyone can get on a microphone and garble rhythmic crowd-appealing nonsense. Repeating such feat multiple times is the hard part. There's a reason Runtown held on strong to making songs which sounded no different from his first hit. The impulse to blow also makes artists rush in then out of the industry. Someone will compile a repertoire of songs and know firsthand which appeals more to the masses. Rather than taking time to ease into popularity by using his lesser liked songs first, he'll throw the best to listeners, finding it difficult to replicate such success and thus slowly fading away.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mabuza Mabuza (Street Thanksgiving) From ZORO As He Gets 3 Million Views. / Soundcity: A New Music (Entertainment) Channel / Download Full Album: Flavour X Umu Obiligbo – Awele (ep)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.