Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 - TV/Movies (1052) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 (3518160 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Movie Are You Watching Now? / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1049) (1050) (1051) (1052) (1053) (1054) (1055) ... (2819) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 8:07am On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

What adversary?? The faceless enemy, perhaps? The show could have been so much more if the invading aliens were given a face and clear purpose, but thanks to the nondescript plot, we got an all-human regime, erasing the need for creativity altogether... but I digress.

For something to be totally bleak, you gotta take away the sunshine, the ray of hope whilst simultaneously making it very persuasive (compelling). When there is a glimmer of redemption in the horizon, there is MORE hope, and LESS bleakness... and by proxy, less of the compelling factor. Colony may be dark like the average dystopian sci-fi, but it isn't compelling enough to be classify as depressing in the real sense of the word. Maybe if they had focused more on the bigger picture rather than the unrelenting family drama, they might have achieved some of that. There are many darker shows in the genre it belongs to: Utopia, 12 monkeys, 3%, Black Mirror, The Leftovers, 4400, V et al.

It's post-apocalyptic since there is a displacement of the status-quo and installation of a new world order. Aliens invaded and put the humans in captivity, or did they not?The failings of the plot to show us proper alien life forms doesn't take away the fact that the premise promised one.
From your write up, its obvious you have a problem with the show not showing any definitive proper alien life form. But, I believe the decision by show runners to take the show in that direction was to prevent the aesthetics of alien life forms from overshadowing both overall plot and plot development, though, as you rightly stated it could have helped in plot creativity.
Colony is more like a fictionalized documented descent into a dystopian society. Which then means with each season, there's just more despair and the more the protagonists put up a fight, the more they lose the fight in them. And if you've followed the show so far, its pretty much whats going on.
I'm not disputing the fact that it's not the darkest show in it's genre but the inability of the plot to be compelling enough to pull you into its world as an individual does not diminish the fact that its simply a depressing show.
And no, a deviation from the norm and a new world order does not necessarily scream post apocalypse. Although, your point about humans in captivity is more of a post apocalyptic situation argument.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 11, 2018
@Kaziar, I can't see your post oo. Did you post in ghost mode? grin
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 8:52am On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:
@Kaziar, I can't see your post oo. Did you post in ghost mode? grin
My bad cheesy cry
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 11, 2018
Sacred Games

Usually not big into Bollywood or anything relating to India, but this Netflix Indian crime thriller felt different. The theme share some similarities with Gomorrah and Narcos, as it is based on the gangster underworld of Mumbai. This show is really good. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

And no, a deviation from the norm and a new world order does not necessarily scream post apocalypse. Although, your point about humans in captivity is more of a post apocalyptic situation argument.

It does though. Apocalypse viewed in a broader angle entails a displacement of set rules and order. And when there is no rule or government, anarchy (chaos) take precedence. The aftermath is called a post-apocalypse.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 10:15am On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

It does though. Apocalypse viewed in a broader angle entails a displacement of set rules and order. And when there is no rule or government, anarchy (chaos) take precedence. The aftermath is called a post-apocalypse.
One could argue that in correlation to your viewpoint of apocalypse, there were set down rules and regulations in the 'new world order' as depicted in colony although, very extreme and stringent. Which would invariably make it more of something dystopian than post apocalyptic.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

One could argue that in correlation to your viewpoint of apocalypse, there were set down rules and regulations in the 'new world order' as depicted in colony although, very extreme and stringent. Which would invariably make it more of something dystopian than post apocalyptic.
Dystopian and post-apocalypse go hand in hand, bro. One cannot work really well without the other, especially if the aim is to achieve an emotive atmosphere.

For instance, the novel, The Hunger Games is set in a world devastated by a terrible war. Whilst the background setting is post-apocalyptic, the plot is driven by the oppression suffered by the people post-war, thus the plot is dystopian. Dystopian and post-apocalyptic themes are present in the storytelling, because the dystopian part needs the foundation of post-apocalypse part for plot building and chronicle.

Another example: The Walking Dead is a show about a zombie apocalypse and the aftermath. The plot is driven by oppression and survival, which would indicate a dystopian state, and since the foundation of the plot stemmed from a wrecked world, can also be classified as post-apocalyptic.

Applying the same logic on Colony, you can see that the plot is dystopian, because of the oppressive and survival nature of it, and post-apocalyptic, because, it's set in the aftermath of a war between Aliens and Humans in which aliens won to establish a new world order.

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 1:23pm On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Dystopian and post-apocalypse go hand in hand, bro. One cannot work really well without the other, especially if the aim is to achieve an emotive atmosphere.

For instance, the novel, The Hunger Games is set in a world devastated by a terrible war. Whilst the background setting is post-apocalyptic, the plot is driven by the oppression suffered by the people post-war, thus the plot is dystopian. Dystopian and post-apocalyptic themes are present in the storytelling, because the dystopian part needs the foundation of post-apocalypse part for plot building and chronicle.

Another example: The Walking Dead is a show about a zombie apocalypse and the aftermath. The plot is driven by oppression and survival, which would indicate a dystopian state, and since the foundation of the plot stemmed from a wrecked world, can also be classified as post-apocalyptic.

Applying the same logic on Colony, you can see that the plot is dystopian, because of the oppressive and survival nature of it, and post-apocalyptic, because, it's set in the aftermath of a war between Aliens and Humans in which aliens won to establish a new world order.
Well, I understand where you're coming from but dystopian and post-apocalypse do not necessarily have to go together. There could be one without the other. In the instances you mentioned, we have dystopian societies on the back drop of an apocalyptic event or post apocalypse but what of an instance as found in George Orwells - NINTEEN EIGHTY FOUR, where you have what could possibly be the gold standard for a dystopian society without a post apocalyptic background.
In colony, you could hardly call the aftermath of the invasion post apocalyptic, seeing as how the invasion itself is hardly an apocalypse. There was very little resistance as a a large percentage of the population weren't aware of an invasion before-hand. So, the aliens didn't actually win anything, as no war was fought.
But, I'll agree to the fact that no dystopian society just comes about. There's almost always an event that heralds in a society's descent into a dystopian state and sometimes that event might just be apocalyptic or not.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:
Well, t
Ghost mode again.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 2:23pm On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Ghost mode again.
sorry, some trouble with my internet connection.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

Well, I understand where you're coming from but dystopian and post-apocalypse do not necessarily have to go together. There could be one without the other. In the instances you mentioned, we have dystopian societies on the back drop of an apocalyptic event or post apocalypse but what of an instance as found in the novel Divergent, where you have dystopian societies without a post apocalyptic background.
What are you talking about? The Divergent series I know is set in a post-apocalyptic world. In fact, it belongs to the exact genre as Hunger Games: post-apocalyptic-dystopian sci-fi.

- Link

Kaziar:

In colony, you could hardly call the aftermath of the invasion post apocalyptic, seeing as how the invasion itself is hardly an apocalypse. There was very little resistance as a a large percentage of the population weren't aware of an invasion before-hand.

You're still not getting it. A post-apocalypse doesn't have to be the aftermath of a devastation. An apocalyptic event can be subtle if well executed.

Alien invaded earth, and fought with humans and defeated them, which is an apocalyptic event. They then imposed their rule in the aftermath which ushered in the post-apocalyptic era. What part of this is so hard to understand?

It's funny that we're still arguing about this because Colony is actually one the most obvious of post-apocalyptic-dystopian sci-fi tv shows out there. Don't take my word for it, just peruse this LIST from the IMDb from top to bottom, and make sure to pay special attention to number 10.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 3:08pm On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

What are you talking about? The Divergent series I know is set in a post-apocalyptic world. In fact, it belongs to the exact genre as Hunger Games: post-apocalyptic-dystopian sci-fi.

- Link

You're still not getting it. A post-apocalypse doesn't have to be the aftermath of a devastation. An apocalyptic event can be subtle if well executed.

Alien invaded earth, and fought with humans and defeated them, which is an apocalyptic event. They then imposed their rule in the aftermath which ushered in the post-apocalyptic era. What part of this is so hard to understand?

It's funny that we're still arguing about this because Colony is actually one the most obvious of post-apocalyptic-dystopian sci-fi tv shows out there. Don't take my word for it, just peruse this LIST from the IMDb from top to bottom, and make sure to pay special attention to number 10.

Yeah, I kinda goofed it on divergent but you can check my modified post.(George Orwells -nineteen eighty four).Thought I was able to correct myself before you could quote me.
I don't agree on the fact that the aliens fought and won mankind, they were already working with some humans before the invasion. And, those who knew before hand didn't put up a fight, so I honestly have no idea about this war or fight you're on about. It was more like the aliens came and simply asserted their dominance, the resistance came after the invasion.
I know what imbd says about colony, I only have a different opinion that's all.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

Yeah, I kinda goofed it on divergent but you can check my modified post.(George Orwells -nineteen eighty four).Thought I was able to correct myself before you could quote me.
I don't agree on the fact that the aliens fought and won mankind, they were already working with some humans before the invasion. And, those who knew before hand didn't put up a fight, so I honestly have no idea about this war or fight you're on about. It was more like the aliens came and simply asserted their dominance, the resistance came after the invasion.
I know what imbd says about colony, I only have a different opinion that's all.

Hmmm... You seem to have missed the part where I said a war can be subtle.
An apocalyptic event can be subtle if well executed.

Psychological warfare is real, esp as the human psych can easily be persuaded with promises of power and control. You don't have to physically engage in a war to successfully wage and win a war. Read the "Act of War".

It's alright to have a different take on things, and I can relate, but there are times when you have to draw the line somewhere. You can't fight a raging tide. The genres are there to guide us and it's only when you're well versed in the topic that you can easily tell when a square peg cannot fit in a round hole.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

Well, I understand where you're coming from but dystopian and post-apocalypse do not necessarily have to go together. There could be one without the other. In the instances you mentioned, we have dystopian societies on the back drop of an apocalyptic event or post apocalypse but what of an instance as found in George Orwells - NINTEEN EIGHTY FOUR, where you have what could possibly be the gold standard for a dystopian society without a post apocalyptic background.

Haha. 1984 is a political satire. It's a completely different genre.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 3:45pm On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Haha. 1984 is a political satire. It's a completely different genre.
No no no, check it out. you are very mistaken
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

In colony, you could hardly call the aftermath of the invasion post apocalyptic, seeing as how the invasion itself is hardly an apocalypse. There was very little resistance as a a large percentage of the population weren't aware of an invasion before-hand. So, the aliens didn't actually win anything, as no war was fought.
But, I'll agree to the fact that no dystopian society just comes about. There's almost always an event that heralds in a society's descent into a dystopian state and sometimes that event might just be apocalyptic or not.

Since there is a displacement of the status-quo and imposition of a new world order (I sound like a broken record at this point), it's a post-apocalyptic era. People no longer have freedom like before. People no longer move freely, etc.

A dystopian state is always, I repeat, always preceded by an apocalyptic event. One is built on the back bone of the other. That's just the way it is.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

No no no, check it out. you are very mistaken

I don't think I am. It's a humorous swipe on the government and socio-political issues like all satires tend to do. It's kinda prophetic actually, because some of the things addressed in the book are happening right now. What with the data mining and all.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 4:10pm On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

I don't think I am. It's a humorous swipe on the government and socio-political issues like all satires tend to do. It's kinda prophetic actually, because some of the things addressed in the book are happening right now. What with the data mining and all.
oh c'mon, do yourself a favor and be sure if we're talking about the same book. Cause George Orwell's 1984 is anything but a political satire.
You might check it out on Wikipedia to know what its all about that is, if you haven't read it yet.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 4:17pm On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

Hmmm... You seem to have missed the part where I said a war can be subtle.

Psychological warfare is real, esp as the human psych can easily be persuaded with promises of power and control. You don't have to physically engage in a war to successfully wage and win a war. Read the "Act of War".

It's alright to have a different take on things, and I can relate, but there are times when you have to draw the line somewhere. You can't fight a raging tide. The genres are there to guide us and it's only when you're well versed in the topic that you can easily tell when a square peg cannot fit in a round hole.
I don't know if you meant the same thing but I've only read 'Art of war' by Sun Tzu. The other book I know of with the title 'Act of war' is a work of fiction by Brad Thor.
I guess what I'm trying to say in summary in my opinion is that Colony doesn't fulfill the requirements for it to be tagged post apocalyptic.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

oh c'mon, do yourself a favor and be sure if we're talking about the same book. Cause George Orwell's 1984 is anything but a political satire.
You might check it out on Wikipedia to know what its all about that is, if you haven't read it yet.

It's sad that you can't tell a political satire from adam. George Orwell was a well known political satirist. His works are well known. His other political satire, "Animal Farm" is a allegory and political satire of Russian communism

If you can't recognise the obvious hidden meaning in the allegorical/satirical prose of 1984, then it's a sad thing indeed. The wiki page you referenced even classified it under the political satire genre.

Goodreads also sells it under the political satire platform.
- Link

If that is not enough to convince you, then, it's unfortunate.

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

I don't know if you meant the same thing but I've only read 'Art of war' by Sun Tzu. The other book I know of with the title 'Act of war' is a work of fiction by Brad Thor.
I guess what I'm trying to say in summary in my opinion is that Colony doesn't fulfill the requirements for it to be tagged post apocalyptic.

Have it your way. Facts are facts though. I've already shown you proof, and explain this as best as I could. You can choose to wallow to your own peculiar opinion, you're entitled to it, just be aware that the creators of the show are not wrong in classifying it under a dystopian post-apocalyptic sci-fi. Cheers.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 5:21pm On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

It's sad that you can't tell a political satire from adam. George Orwell was a well known political satirist. His works are well known. His other political satire, "Animal Farm" is a allegory and political satire of Russian communism

If you can't recognise the obvious hidden meaning in the allegorical/satirical prose of 1984, then it's a sad thing indeed. The wiki page you referenced even classified it under the political satire genre.

Goodreads also sells it under the political satire platform.
- Link

If that is not enough to convince you, then, it's unfortunate.
OK. just to get something straight, are you saying that the dystopian tag can't be attributed to 1984?
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by oslae(f): 5:23pm On Jul 11, 2018
Hargbo:
The Expanse
okay, thanks.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

OK. just to get something straight, are you saying that the dystopian tag can't be attributed to 1984?
First thing you have to understand about political satires is the fact that most of them have as a rule dystopian societies that are ruled by tyrannical and incompetent governments. The satire aspect can only work if the societies are exaggeratedly oppressed.

The dystopian aspect of "1984" differs from the typical dystopian post-apocalyptic prose of "Hunger Games" for the simple fact that the theme is not really centered around the sufferance of the people, but on the tyrannical and incompetence of the ruling government. The theme is allegorical - it has hidden meaning. It is also satirical - it employs exaggerated ironic humor. Thus, it can rightly be classified as a social science fiction, and political satire fiction more than a mere dystopian fiction.
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Kaziar: 5:59pm On Jul 11, 2018
KoiceReloaded:

First thing you have to understand about political satires is the fact that most of them have as a rule dystopian societies that are ruled by tyrannical and incompetent governments. The satire aspect can only work if the societies are exaggeratedly oppressed.

Can the plot be tagged as a dystopian? Yeah, the plot is dystopian alright, but it differs from the typical dystopian post-apocalyptic prose for the simple fact that the theme is not really centered around the sufferance of the people, but on the tyrannical and incompetence of the ruling government. The theme is allegorical - it has hidden meaning. Thus, it can be rightly classified as a social science fiction, and political satire.
Alright, if we continue round this path we're just gonna end up full circle. cheesy
I think we're at an impasse. I hope we've been able to see from each others view points.
You put up a good argument though as expected.
Always a pleasure trading points with you. wink
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 11, 2018
Kaziar:

Alright, if we continue round this path we're just gonna end up full circle. cheesy
I think we're at an impasse. I hope we've been able to see from each others view points.
You put up a good argument though as expected.
Always a pleasure trading points with you. wink

Same, cheers. smiley
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by foreverkind1(m): 1:37am On Jul 12, 2018
CsRockefeller:

Yes, I've seen 24 and strike back, but in all which will you rate greater?
24hrs bro ,pls btw xbox 1 and ps4 which one do u prefer ?
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by damizy(m): 3:05am On Jul 12, 2018
jjii:
The Affair season 4
Please what's the series all about? Thanks
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 3:06am On Jul 12, 2018
KoiceReloaded:
Sacred Games

Usually not big into Bollywood or anything relating to India, but this Netflix Indian crime thriller felt different. The theme share some similarities with Gomorrah and Narcos, as it is based on the gangster underworld of Mumbai. This show is really good. Highly recommend.

Is it in English?
Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 3:27am On Jul 12, 2018
oyb:

Is it in English?

Hindi. Indians can't speak coherent English to save their lives. Their tongue ain't made for the language.

1 Like

Re: What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 by Nobody: 3:38am On Jul 12, 2018
The Handmaid's Tale

Now, this is the kind of "dark" I can get behind. Real stuff. Almost perfect season finale. I felt this season is better than the first, and I hope the next will be just as good. There are so many possibilities for the next season, and so much sh*t is gonna go down, Good stuff.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1049) (1050) (1051) (1052) (1053) (1054) (1055) ... (2819) (Reply)

What Movie Are You Watching Now? / Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.